Crazy Canuck on Tour: The Homecoming

rancer890

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

logo_mac.png

2014 Season - Markham Marauders - Colonial Division 2

Standings | Past Positions | Fixtures - A season in which we actually struggled for a period of time. There was a time where I thought we might get relegated, but thanks to a tactical tweak we managed to save the season.

North American Open Cup - Still hoping to make the 1st Round Proper one day.

Colonial Cup - unlucky we lost on penalties, but I think this is the one cup competition we can go well with a little bit of a luck.

Ontario Cup - nothing new here.

Transfers - Only got of one player, although we got plenty of players in the reserves. I'm just keeping them because they're still on amateur contracts. The first batch of amateur contracts are expiring so more players will be released.

Squad - The starting XI is still mostly 5/5 stars, but I think I found my tactic. It's actually not even mine, I took B.W.G.'s tactic and made a bit of adjustments myself. It's still in a work in progress but we have good results now. And now we actually score some goals more often than not, even if we do give more goals than we score sometimes. I will probably continue experimenting during pre-season and actually play my pre-season games in 2015. I'm very happy that we're now playing entertaining football, even if we end up losers I'm very pleased with how we played. At least we're creating chances now, even if it's not the best idea when we're facing the better teams in the league. Next step is probably creating a tactic against the better teams, something I couldn't do during the season because we weren't going to win and avoid relegation by playing defensively.

Youth Players:

Radford Sinclair (YP2012) - a much better season from Sinclair, and he actually scored goals. I think I finally found a spot for him in my starting XI with my new tactic. His recent success has also got him on the international radar with the Jamaica U20's. He might be hard pressed to get on the Canada U20's but I'm happy that he's getting international experience at the youth level. Another solid season and I will offer him a multi-year part-time contract.

Anthony Baker (YP2013) - he had a 21 hour goal drought earlier in the season, but after the tactic change he starting scoring goals and very pleased he scored more than double digits.

Angelo Carmelo Matheson (YP2014) - he immediately was slotted in my starting XI all season and didn't disappoint. Hopefully he can get better in his sophomore.

Overview | Facilities | Finances | Affiliations

Hopefully our now Average junior coaching can help us get better youths, because we still don't have enough money to get a youth facilities upgrade yet.

Managerial Stats

2011 Season

2012 Season

2013 Season

2014 Season

Notes/Goals for Next Season

• Hopefully we get an improved performance next year. We were still above our media prediction but I want to get back into the top half of the table and get 6 figure end of season prize money
  • Hopefully no more day long goal droughts from our strikers.
  • Since it'll take a while before I can improve facilities, I will set my sights on increasing Junior Coaching. We're now at Average and I hope it can keep getting better every season.

Year     Division                    Tier     Position                                                            Notes
2011     St. Lawrence Soccer League     8          1st                  Promotion, North American Amateur Cup Finalists
2012     Colonial Amateur League        7          4th                                                        Promotion
2013     Colonial Division 2            6          8th                                                              N/A
2014     Colonial Division 2            6         14th                                                              N/A

Interesting to see how tha tactic does over a full season.

I'm interested too with how it'll hold up all-season. I will definitely admit that it's a bit leaky defensively but if we turned most of those draws into wins we should be in the top half of the table again.

Cheers. It's much easier to get Orlando into the MLS than my club. :D

No NASL club has gotten through the playoff and has defeated a MLS club yet (including this past season).

That doesn't make good reading for me then :(

So the MLS is the same in 2014 as it was at the start then?

That doesn't make good reading for me then :(

So the MLS is the same in 2014 as it was at the start then?

Yes, there's still a lot of parity like the real MLS, with different MLS Cup champions every year, but there's the same 20 clubs.

I think you can get Orlando to the MLS with a bit of creativity and luck. :)

Yes, there's still a lot of parity like the real MLS, with different MLS Cup champions every year, but there's the same 20 clubs.

I think you can get Orlando to the MLS with a bit of creativity and luck. :)

Cheers, I'm also sure you Markham there.

Imo there isn't a lost of diffrence between the NASL and MLS based on my frendlies. Your saves way more challenging :thup: Anyway Markham has got Lionel Messi's apprentice :) Also How long does it take you to do a season?

2014 Major League Soccer

MajorLeagueSoccerOverview_Stages-7.png

The 2014 MLS season has come to a close, with the Vancouver Whitecaps defeating their Canadian rivals Toronto FC in a thrilling encounter in the MLS Cup Final. Shortly afterwards, a member of the Vancouver Whitecaps posted this on Twitter:

@WhitecapsFC To everyone who hates us, suck it

And then Vancouver rioted in celebration for once.

(Seeding)

MLS Cup Playoffs

Quarter-Final

(5) Seattle Sounders 3-2 New York Red Bulls (4)

(6) New York Cosmos 2-4 Toronto FC (3)

Semi-Final

(3) Toronto FC 4-2 Chivas USA (2)

(5) Seattle Sounders 2-3 Vancouver Whitecaps (1)

Final

(1) Vancouver Whitecaps 5-3 Toronto FC (3)

----

Relegation Playoffs

Semi-Final

(NASL-3) Tampa Bay Rowdies 6-0 San Antonio Scorpions (NASL-2)

(MLS-20) Chicago Fire 3-1 Internationals (NASL-1)

Final

(NASL-3) Tampa Bay Rowdies 2-4 Chicago Fire (MLS-20)

MLS isn't coming to the state of Florida just yet as the Chicago Fire will stay in MLS for another season.

MajorLeagueSoccerStats_PlayerStats-2.png

---

MajorLeagueSoccerTransfers_Transfers-2.png

Good to see some players are making it big time to big clubs on other continents.

----

MajorLeagueSoccerStats_TeamStats-2.png

The Cosmos are starting to create a gulf in player salaries with the rest of the league. Great work with Chivas USA making the most out of their resources while dealing with the brother LA Galaxy in the same stadium. I think all 20 clubs will have the resources to stay up for the time being because of the gulf of finances between the first and second tiers. (compare these figures with my Markham Marauders, we only spend $90,000 on player salaries, lowest in the Colonial Division 2).

---

BTW, I don't hate Vancouver but I'm cheering for the Kings all the way! In fact, I hate the Toronto teams a lot more!!

Cheers, I'm also sure you Markham there.

Imo there isn't a lost of diffrence between the NASL and MLS based on my frendlies. Your saves way more challenging :thup: Anyway Markham has got Lionel Messi's apprentice :) Also How long does it take you to do a season?

I'll think about trying to get out of the 6th tier before I think about MLS!

The gulf might get bigger as teams get more money from MLS in prize money so this is a challenge that favours the original 20 clubs.

I would be happy if my players had 20% the talent of Messi! And usually it takes 10-12 hours, although I multitask a lot. Been a bit busy lately with exams so I only got time to play when I'm sick of reviewing.

Rancer just another question about American leagues -

Is the team affected if I had an away game in New York on the Saturday then a cup game in California in the week - is the team affected?

There aren't travel affects on players in FM iirc. There would just be fatigue from playing 2 games during the week.

Markham Marauders - Colonial Division 2

logo_mac.png

Youth Intake 2015

MarkhamMaruadersYouthCandidatesSquad_Players-2.png

Only 5 CA players and the goalkeeper will be signed, because I only want players who can play immediately (and this also saves money...)

Brian Hussein - the pick of the bunch. I think he will have to compete for a spot in pre-season before I can guarantee him that a spot in the starting XI

Other notables:

Navin Simon - he might be ok at right back because he certainly won't win many battles in the air

Sasa McCallum - really good player with good attributes in the right areas. This likely means Tannenbaum is further down the depth chart and 2015 might be his last season with the Marauders

Evan Giacomi - another option up front. Decent attributes across most areas but they hopefully can get better through training. A team player and hard worker who can also shoot penalties

David Gardiner - we need a goalie (released Nascimento) so he will help out with the competition for the #1 shirt in pre-season

The average junior coaching really helped because I think the players are getting a lot better! Hopefully these intakes get more improvement as I upgrade junior coaching. :)

As a Vancouverite (transplant from Edmonton :) ), when we riot, it has nothing to do with sports! We riot out of sheer stupidity and don't you forget it! ;)

Think the stupidity of the rioters has infected the brains of the entire Canucks team (outside of Luongo). ;)

3 very good players there rancer who can join immediatley :thup: w

Cheers mate. Hussein and Simon probably have a chance immediately, and Giacomi might have to stay in the U18s for a bit because I got Baker, Varnier, and Sinclair already upfront (assuming Hussein can do well enough in pre-season to get that AMR spot in the starting XI).

But the future is bright. :)

Markham Marauders Pre-season

I normally don't ever post pre-season results, because frankly, they're just non-competitive friendlies, but still nonetheless I have been using the tactic all-preseason bar one game, and (overall) I'm pleased with the results. :)

Jan. 15 - vs North York (USL-Pro East) - W 3-0

Jan. 24 - vs Hamilton Croatia (USL-Pro East) - W 5-3

Jan. 31 - vs TFC Reserves - L 0-4 (only game I didn't use the 4-2-4)

Feb. 4 - vs SC toronto (Colonial Premier League) - W 5-2

Feb. 11 - at Barrie Broncos (St. Lawrence Soccer League) - D 1-1

So overall a very good pre-season, and more than the results, I see the team playing just like how we did at the end of last season, and we're firing on all cylinders. I'm looking forward to the league and cup matches. :)

Really enjoying this so far, love how it's sort of like a dafuge style career with added difficulty of youth only policy, plus you have kind of like a sub-plot experiment going on at the same time as you track progress of the MLS. Interesting to see Cosmos with so much money and not win anything yet, also wonder if any big names from Europe will ever make the switch to the MLS.

Good to see a few solid youngsters coming through already. Looking good for the new season too!

That World Cup was amazing! Three South American nations in the final four, but without the usual suspects of Brazil and Argentina :eek:

Really enjoying this so far, love how it's sort of like a dafuge style career with added difficulty of youth only policy, plus you have kind of like a sub-plot experiment going on at the same time as you track progress of the MLS. Interesting to see Cosmos with so much money and not win anything yet, also wonder if any big names from Europe will ever make the switch to the MLS.

I would love to have a career with the amount of success as dafuge!!! :lol:

I really enjoy looking at MLS throughout the season, even I wish I was a bit more immersed in that league, although tbf I have to focus on my own club! Trying to figure more ways to analyze the MLS as the years go by but I believe once the real players start to retire and the newgens start to play a bigger importance in the development of the league I can probably write a bit more (hopefully I won't still be in the Colonial Division 2 when that happens ;)).

No big name internationals have gone to the MLS, but many Americans/Canadians are still coming home. The latest one? Jozy Altidore to Energy Drinks Gives You Wings FC!

Good to see a few solid youngsters coming through already. Looking good for the new season too!

That World Cup was amazing! Three South American nations in the final four, but without the usual suspects of Brazil and Argentina :eek:

Cheers AK22! It's nice to see our players are starting to get some double digit attributes (or really close to double digits!!) to start off with which will definitely with our progression up the leagues.

And yes, definitely, that World Cup was pure madness! The other 3 South American teams took the podium places! USA beating Brazil on home soil. Spain losing not one, not two, but three group stage games!

Do you live in North America then?

Yes. I support TFC and live in Toronto.

Tough 2014 but it looks like you have some good youth players coming through and it looks like you had a very good pre-season.

Cheers B.W.G! Loving the way we play now, even if it means not getting many clean sheets. :)

More good news. It's midseason (July 1) and our junior coaching is now upgraded to 'Good'. :cool:

We also went to the First Round Proper of the North American Open Cup and lost to a USL team, but we did get a lot of gate receipts which will massively benefit my finances. :)

logo_mac.png

2015 Season - Markham Marauders - Colonial Division 2

Standings | Past Positions | Fixtures | Semi-Final Leg 1 Semi-Final Leg 2 | Final Leg 1 Final Leg 2 - We had a fantastic start to the season, but we hit a bad patch near the end of the season and we nearly blew it. I got suspended for the Semis 1st leg because I ran my mouth in the media and got suspended :mad:. But we did okay in that match, and in the 2nd leg, we had to rely on penalties to get to the Final, against the Vermont Voltage. We won the first leg 3-2, although it was so stupid of us to give a late away goal, and we couldn't handle Vermont in the 2nd leg so we're staying in the division for another season. I didn't think we were ready for the next tier just yet so I'm not losing a lot of sleep because our form in the 2nd half was flat out awful after we had trouble scoring. The league winners, Indiana United, were taken over by a tycoon and had a lot more resources than the rest of the division so without them next season we can do even better than this season.

North American Open Cup - we finally got to the First Round Proper! Unfortunately we faced a professional USL team so we lost easily to them.

Colonial Cup - A fantastic run in the Colonial Cup finishing it all with a win in the final for my (and the club's) second trophy to go with my St. Lawrence Soccer League trophy.

Ontario Cup - we seriously suck like crap if we could lose to an 8th tier club....

Transfers - Let some fringe players go and released our hero way back in the 8th tier in Barrington Smith because I still kept him captain and he missed training which was a definite no-no for me.

Squad - The other reason we lost was because our best players were injured by the Vermont Voltage in the last game of the regular season. So needless to say I was p***** at that team for being such a bunch of dirty arses managed by a manager who I absolutely hate. If we had those key players the playoffs would have ended with a different result.

Youth Players:

Radford Sinclair (YP 2012) - A great season from Sinclair! He had more appearances for the Jamaican U20s and he joined the 10/10 club with 16 goals and 12 assists.

Anthony Baker (YP 2013) - The other YP striker also had 16 goals to go with 7 assists. Baker and Sinclair formed a very good attacking duo this season.

Angelo Carmelo Matheson (YP 2014) - Matheson played in the majority of the games this season and led the club in assists.

Brian Hussein (YP 2015) - He was downgraded from leading USL-Pro East potential to good USL-Pro East potential, but most importantly, he has to stop getting injured so he can reach his potential.

----

Overview | Facilities | Finances | Affiliations

We're at Good Youth Coaching now, but we apparently still do not have money to improve youth facilities...how many more years of saving do I need to improve them. I was lucky this year because of cup runs.

Managerial Stats

2011 Season

2012 Season

2013 Season

2014 Season

2015 Season

Notes/Goals for Next Season

• Win the league. I hate playoffs and don't want to go through that again. With Indiana United out of our division it would be easier facing only semi-pro clubs.
  • Keep saving money or having deep cup runs so we can get a bit more money to improve those youth facilities!

Year     Division                    Tier     Position                                                            Notes
2011     St. Lawrence Soccer League     8          1st                  Promotion, North American Amateur Cup Finalists
2012     Colonial Amateur League        7          4th                                                        Promotion
2013     Colonial Division 2            6          8th                                                              N/A
2014     Colonial Division 2            6         14th                                                              N/A
2015     Colonial Division 2            6          2nd                                             Colonial Cup Winners

Just noticed you put India down twice in the OP. Just a small thing.

I realized after I finished the first season but was too lazy to fix it since I didn't think anyone would notice it anyways...till now I guess. :p

Yes, indeed!

I can't wait for Wednesday. :cool:

Very unlucky on just missing out on promotion but congrats on winning the Colonial Cup :thup:

Cheers B.W.G. As I wrote in my end of season update, it might have been better to not get promoted because I wasn't totally confident in how my tactic would hold up in the 5th tier Colonial Premier League. If we can get another improvement in youth coaching next summer I think we're in a very good spot for promotion in 2016 and success beyond that. :)

Hopefully we can get lucky in cup draws again next season! The two teams I absolutely hated (Indiana United and Vermont Voltage) are in the next tier so I'm confident of our chances.

Next update coming up is the annual MLS season review.

2015 Major League Soccer

MajorLeagueSoccerOverview_Stages-8.png

MLS Cup Playoffs

Quarter-Final

(6) Real Salt Lake 4-0 Colorado Rapids (3)

(4) Red Bull New York 2-4 LA Galaxy (5)

Semi-Final

(6) Real Salt Lake 3-7 DC United (1)

(5) LA Galaxy 5-2 Vancouver Whitecaps (2)

Final

(5) La Galaxy 0-3 DC United (1)

So finally, the regular season winner is also the MLS Cup Champions. DC United, who are still based in the US capital and not in Baltimore, and also hold the distinction of winning the most MLS Cups, win another, their first title since 2004. They also got out that terrible RFK Stadium where they paid a seven figure sum in rental fees and moved into their own soccer-specific stadium, 30,000 seater DC United Park, in 2014. San Jose are also still in the MLS, having won their relegation playoff rounds.

MLS Relegation Playoffs/NASL Promotion Playoffs

Semi-Final

(NASL-1) FC New York 1-5 San Jose Earthquakes (MLS-20)

(NASL-3) San Antonio Scorpions 1-3 Arizona Sahuaros (NASL-2)

Final

(NASL-2) Arizona Sahuaros 0-3 San Jose Earthquakes (MLS-20)

------

MajorLeagueSoccerStats_PlayerStats-3.png

----

MajorLeagueSoccerStats_TeamStats-3.png

There's the 'Big Four', the two New York clubs, the Galaxy, and the Sounders, who are spending the most basically every season. I'm surprised the Quakes are midtable in the salary standings, because they only got 10,000 attendance in their 18,000 seat stadium! And new owners Bell and Rogers (part of MLSE) should start spending a bit more on TFC, afterall Rogers Communications is who I pay all my bills at, and has a net worth of $20 billion in assets in the radio and TV industry...

MajorLeagueSoccerTransfers_Transfers-3.png

The big transfer is definitely Altidore going back to the Red Bulls. Nice to see he didn't join the Evil Empire (Cosmos) and turn his back on the team that developed him before he went to Europe. Many of the transfers coming over are now younger players, who will only improve the league as a whole. MLS isn't a Retirement League anymore!!!

2011-2015 National Teams Roundup

200px-US_Soccer_logo.svg.png

United States

Head Coach: Jurgen Klinsmann

U21s Head Coach: Peter Vermes

U20s Head Coach: Caleb Porter

World Ranking: 21st

2013 Gold Cup: Lost to Mexico in penalties in the Final

2014 World Cup: Lost to Chile in the Quarter-Final

2015 Gold Cup: Lost to Jamaica in the Semi-Final

Key Players: Timothy Chandler (New England Revolution), Stuart Holden (LA Galaxy), Jose Torres (Chivas USA), Jozy Altidore (New York Red Bulls), Landon Donovan (Liverpool), Michael Bradley (New York Cosmos)

Best USMNT Newgen Players: Angel Saucedo, Julian Sanchez, Spencer Shaffer

Csa_logo.png

Canada

Head Coach: John Limniatis

U20s Head Coach: John Kerr

World Ranking: 65th

2013 Gold Cup: Lost to Honduras in Quarter-Final

2014 World Cup: 3rd in Group F

2015 Gold Cup: Lost to Mexico in Semi-Final

Key Players: Junior Hoilett (Inter), Will Johnson (Seattle Sounders), Michael Klukowski (Celtic), Marcel de Jong (Houston Dynamo), Jonathan de Guzman (Villarreal), Andre Hainault (Seattle Sounders)

Best CMNT Players: Darko Guja, Radojica Komljenovic

Running your mouth in a quality match...reminds me of more than a few coaches I had in my hockey playing days :) Still, you always loved the drama! :) Tough beat in the playoffs, but the next season should be a real possibility.

Running your mouth in a quality match...reminds me of more than a few coaches I had in my hockey playing days :) Still, you always loved the drama! :) Tough beat in the playoffs, but the next season should be a real possibility.

I was giving the refs a hard time all season and they finally got sick of me running my mouth. :D

It really did suck after we lost, we were down my best players but we still went at them to the very end. Unfortunately, we just didn't get enough healthy bodies to make a serious run at the end.

Markham Marauders - Colonial Division 2

logo_mac.png

Youth Intake 2016

MarkhamMaruadersYouthCandidatesSquad_Players-3.png

The following players will be signed:

Mitch Fletcher - he has a lot of goalkeeping attributes near 10, which is good. Unfortunately, Eccentricity is the highest one...

John Cain - not as good as Fletcher, but my Ass Man thinks he got some potential and extra 'keeper depth wouldn't hurt.

Pedro Lopez - his strongest position is left back. He's pretty good for this level.

And here's our 2016 Youth Product:

Dennis Campbell - he's already better than my incumbent, and has the potential to be a leading USL-Pro left winger (that's the 3rd tier!).

Good thing I resigned my centrebacks, because there weren't any good ones this year.

Some good youth players coming through,hopefully Campbell can produce the goods for you.

Hopefully someone one day will break into the MLS even if it is just for a season!

So much for that.

RickyNakanoNews_Inbox-10.png

WHAT. THE. FU**?????

How in the world can another team sign my youth????

Normally by tribunal but it is kind of weird.I've seen youth candidate players with "WNT" next to them even though they've just come through.

I don't think teams should be allowed to sign a youth that comes out of the youth candidate process. Under youth contract sure, but under trial no way. It's not even realistic how a team from Mobile, Alabama, knows this sick prospect from Markham, Ontario, Canada, after one day?

I already have a hard enough time figuring whether to resign my players because if I don't resign them they become free agents, and I don't mind that part. I always liked that my challenge were always harder than everyone's elses. :lol:

But this is too far for me. Why should I waste my money improving my youth facilities only for them to leave for other clubs, with me getting NO compensation (I can't do anything since they're on trial)? I'll keep playing, because I think we're good enough already to get promoted to the next tier anyways without him, but if this starts happening every year, I think it's pointless because we will always have less reputation than the other clubs we're up against, so we're always going to lose our best youths...

I've renamed him 'THE ORIGINAL TRAITOR', in reference to the many traitors who rather play for other countries IRL than Canada. Heck, the guy even had Markham Marauders as his favourite club.

It doesn't happen every year.For myself,my 2020 youth candidates saw me lose no less then 9 players who were still on trial as I was too indecisive.To make it worse they moved to Segunda Division B sides which is absurd as I am in Liga BBVA :mad: Before that it was 2015 when I lost 3 but that are the only two years it's happened to me so it should get better for you.

The original traitor,I like it and I like it that much I may have to borrow it if I lose a hot prospect :lol:

It doesn't happen every year.For myself,my 2020 youth candidates saw me lose no less then 9 players who were still on trial as I was too indecisive.To make it worse they moved to Segunda Division B sides which is absurd as I am in Liga BBVA :mad: Before that it was 2015 when I lost 3 but that are the only two years it's happened to me so it should get better for you.

The original traitor,I like it and I like it that much I may have to borrow it if I lose a hot prospect :lol:

Oh, I've lost players to different clubs in most years, it's just this time I'm ranting about it because my YP got stolen! Maybe this issue should be raised in GD.. :D

Well done on your first cup victory!

Do you get many Canadians with Serbian second nationalities?! The fact you've got three like this in your youth intake tends to suggest so :D

Cheers AK22!

The majority of my team with second nationalities are actually half-Jamaicans :D, but we have some Serbians too.

Some specific clubs are more likely to have specific second nationalities. For example: the Dayton Dutch Lions can expect to have Americans with Dutch second nationality. Similarly, the Serbian White Eagles will have mostly Canadian/Serbs.

Now if a club for example Chinese Dragons FC existed in the North American leagues, I would totally manage that club. :D

Archived