Player through on goal with another player alongside with open goal. Instead, he shoots.

I am constantly having a problem where my player decides to be greedy, I get into good scoring opportunities and a simple pass to the teammate next to the player would result in an open goal and almost certain goal. Instead of passing to the player in a better position he takes it on himself and usually hits it straight at the keeper. How can I sort this? Or is this just a part of the game you have to accept. I understand that this happens in real life too but it seems to happen EVERY time for me.

I reckon team work plays a big part here. Maybe coincidental since these 2-on-1s are pretty rare, but I have noticed regen strikers with really high team work (17-20) have always passed in these types of attacks. I'm not sure whether team work makes passing to the team mate more likely an option or does it simply allow the player to see the option to begin with, but it definitely makes a difference.

So its not exactly 2 on 1 but the guy will be in open space and a pass would almost guarantee a goal for him. I am everton I have a target man and advanced forward playing up front. Straqualersi and Kleber. Both have 16 teamwork yet they still don't seem to slip the other one through and would rather take it on themselves. It can't be because of teamwork. Usually they are very unselfish in all other aspects except this one. Their PPMs are Straqualersi (none) Kleber Shoots with Power, Knocks Ball Past Opponent and Plays with Back to Goal.

Yeah I got that, sideways pass so that keeper has no chance of making the save. Weird though. My system has unlimited CF for the attacking players and I think this helps them put all their mental attributes to full use. Could this have an effect?

So its not exactly 2 on 1 but the guy will be in open space and a pass would almost guarantee a goal for him. I am everton I have a target man and advanced forward playing up front. Straqualersi and Kleber. Both have 16 teamwork yet they still don't seem to slip the other one through and would rather take it on themselves. It can't be because of teamwork. Usually they are very unselfish in all other aspects except this one. Their PPMs are Straqualersi (none) Kleber Shoots with Power, Knocks Ball Past Opponent and Plays with Back to Goal.

How about creativity? Flair? Decisions? Composure? All of these and a couple more which i'm sure Cleon or Furious will chip in with :D

It is known that players dont like passing across the net. Ive only ever had one player who does do it and its my current AML in my crewe save. He's pacy but also high technical attributes. Play him as an AP, most of the time when he gets through on goal he knocks in across to my onrushing striker/AML. Not sure what PPM's he has though.

I find that if my striker is setup as a Poacher (Try through balls set to Rarely), he does not pass but goes himself but if he is setup as an Advanced Forward (Try through balls set to Sometimes), then sometimes he will pass and as a Complete Forward (Try through balls set to Often), he will almost always pass.

Pretty simple really :)

It is known that players dont like passing across the net. Ive only ever had one player who does do it and its my current AML in my crewe save. He's pacy but also high technical attributes. Play him as an AP, most of the time when he gets through on goal he knocks in across to my onrushing striker/AML. Not sure what PPM's he has though.

Known by who?

I get all my wide players to pass it across the goal, I think I even did a bit about it in the SI Sports thread stickied at top of the forum I think.

It's mental attributes that are vital in if he will pass or not and not physicals or technical attributes. A player beeds high work rate, creativity, decisions, anticipation, composure, determination for a starters.

Known by who?

I get all my wide players to pass it across the goal, I think I even did a bit about it in the SI Sports thread stickied at top of the forum I think.

It's mental attributes that are vital in if he will pass or not and not physicals or technical attributes. A player beeds high work rate, creativity, decisions, anticipation, composure, determination for a starters.

maybe known was the wrong word then. There are a lot of threads in which people complain about it if you see what I mean.

yeah I do agree with them, surely the look for pass instead of shoot PPM would help as well

maybe known was the wrong word then. There are a lot of threads in which people complain about it if you see what I mean.

yeah I do agree with them, surely the look for pass instead of shoot PPM would help as well

People only complain as they don't understand the attributes or don't create a tactic that allows the ball to be played across the goal.

.....I get into good scoring opportunities and a simple pass to the teammate next to the player would result in an open goal and almost certain goal.

I wouldn't speak too soon, this is FM2012, and I'm sure the crossbar would have something to say about that!

In fact, I tried the buy Tottenham's crossbar the other day after it had a stormer saving 2 shots to an empty net! They asked for £117m plus Suarez....I was tempted!

I do understand the utter frustration when world class players miss sitters, or choose odd passing decisions that contradict their attributes. If average AI players can make the right decisions (shoot or pass) which lead to goals against, I'm sure WCPs would (eg: Steven Gerrard, Suarez etc).

For example, I had a game against a lower placed team recently, and I couldn't score after 3 CCC, yet a when playing the same team again at their place, I have one CCC, and score 4. My mind boggles.

I wouldn't speak too soon, this is FM2012, and I'm sure the crossbar would have something to say about that!

In fact, I tried the buy Tottenham's crossbar the other day after it had a stormer saving 2 shots to an empty net! They asked for £117m plus Suarez....I was tempted!

I do understand the utter frustration when world class players miss sitters, or choose odd passing decisions that contradict their attributes. If average AI players can make the right decisions (shoot or pass) which lead to goals against, I'm sure WCPs would (eg: Steven Gerrard, Suarez etc).

For example, I had a game against a lower placed team recently, and I couldn't score after 3 CCC, yet a when playing the same team again at their place, I have one CCC, and score 4. My mind boggles.

That is football, deal with it, sometimes your preconceptions are not realised.

I was having this problem with my Barca squad. I found that using "Teamwork" as a match preparation focus helped - players still don't always go for the pass, but they do go for it more often than when they were having different match prep.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but teamwork match prep doesn't do that. It helps players become familiar with each other and settle into the squad and not actually how they play during a match. Once everything in your tactic is fluid then teamwork doesn't work anyway.

Apologies for speaking....

Sorry, that came out as very rude, I wanted to say that we all expect a certain outcome at times and when it does not happen, we tend to blame the game rather than except that bad luck will rear its head no matter how good our team is.

I apologise if I offended you...

Apology accepted qqq, I understand it is difficult to put something down in writing, which can easily sound a little more harsh when you read it back, even when you haven't meant it that way.

What I found with the tactics recently is when I play my nemesis in the EPL, Man City, the game is very tight, not many CCC, and defences are always on top for both side. You could say like a game against two top teams that are well organised IRL. Then you'll play a smaller club and they'll just outplay you. Doesn't make a lot of sense sometimes, and seem to come out of nowhere. Sometimes a draw is a good result when this occurs.

The nagging problem with this is it does occur IRL too. Currently Swansea and Norwich are good examples in the EPL. I think we do find it difficult to take when we're in charge of a team that sometimes don't seem up for it, and you struggle to find a solution or even anticipate it. But again, happens IRL.

So is there anything we can do about it? Or is form just an illusion sometimes?

Thanks Bully :thup:

Form being an illusion is a pretty good catchphrase, might make those "bad days" easier to swallow. Sometimes I just become over confident with my team and expect them to win and not read the situation quick enough, then the so called weaker team will get a draw against me.

As for passing across the box to the better option, I had a model pro with very high teamwork who had a crazy amount of assists, he was a winger so the through balls and cross balls were fully to the right, but I now use my central striker (4-3-3) as a greedy player with run with ball often and cross and through balls fully to the left and he hardly ever passes in the box.

I think there is only so far you can go with your tactical setups with regards to how a player will act in any given situation, as the visual and hidden attributes will make that player ultimately react in the way he does. A player with good technique and high composure may well believe that he can score rather than risk the pass, the combinations are endless, sometimes you will just get a player that just always wants to pass as in my winger I explained above, he scored a few as well but was a team player through and through.

Archived