Is it possible to win the Champions League with an Icelandic club?

Fantastic

I don't know, depending on who we draw for the group stages I'd be happy with a win or two. Consistently hitting the second round is a big ask.

Well, each of your seasons was better than the previous one, so why not get to the quarters this time?

Season 2015

Moving on from the incredible success of last year was always going to be a tough act to follow. We needed to keep the building process in motion and while I started to feel the murmurs of want-away players this year it was still a manageable season that I'm proud of.

First things first, as usual, who came into the club and who left:

xQXOO.png

No big sales this year, but the players I did bring in, specifically Grandola and Kosmidis, are important additions that should prove decisive in any future successes we have:

foAHR.png

iT8m4.png

The big surprise this season was that we lost three games in the league:

GZNBl.png

Add on top of that, we lost the Icelandic Cup, so big surprises all round. I'll be honest, I didn't really pay attention to the league this year, I had my assistant start handling all team talks, press conferences etc. It's becoming such a procession that it doesn't deserve my attention. But hey, silverware is silverware so it still counts.

Onto the big one, qualification in the Champions League was a breeze:

i82IC.png

Our group stage was an interesting one, with Chelsea, Metalist and Juventus to tackle.

0T1ax.png

I'll be honest, this group was incredibly difficult. I'm not disappointed because we picked up two outstanding victories over Chelsea, but I underestimated Metalist. They had the measure of us from the word go in both our matches. Six points is what it is and in all but one other group it would have seen us get third place and a spot in the Europa League. I can't complain too much, but this would have been a good time to test ourselves against the lower tier opponents, just to get and understanding of where we are.

When we lose, we're not getting hammered, it's close and even in the Juventus matches where we were under pressure constantly we still had opportunities. It's still the early stages here and players are going to come and go, but as it stands it's still a great season. We're on course for our original target of five group stages:

Nwqj7.png

As it stands we're on course to bag a second Champions League qualification place for Iceland, which is tremendous news. But on top of that, next year we'll still be trading off the 11/12 coefficient. If we can grab third place or better and it is a very real possibility that we could be booking Iceland a guaranteed place in the group stages for the 17/18 campaign. In six years that would be unbelievable news.

So despite some people arguing we have regressed, I reject that opinion. We've shown a level of improvement and consistency that I've been looking for season on season. This club can make the next step, as long as we keep pushing. It will take some luck, but we're ahead of schedule and that is why this was another successful season.

a9Z0Y.png

Nothing. I'm disappointed, I would have enjoyed a top tier team feeding me free money and cheap players.

i had a game with valur, got sturm graz, but they couldn't ever end me players because of the way the seasons aligned. so you may not be missing anything.

Archived