FM12 Montpellier Herault SC

DirtyJoe

Had a great start to my first season as Montpellier, went with most of the signings id seen on here - managed to get kara, khune, sanogo (loan), pogba (loan) and wellington nem. I sold john utaka and marveaux, I drew my first game of the season and then lost away at lille. Since then ive won every game since (7 on the bounce) including my last game a cheeky 1-0 away win to PSG :), jourden got motm and deservedly so. Giroud playing up top alone and has been pretty poor so far, missing three penalties in separate games in a row! any advise on how to get the most out of him, Ive read how well hes doing for everyone else and tbh dont really have sufficient back up.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Season 2014 / 2015 Preview

OVERVIEW

After a number of attempts during last season for a club takeover, it finally happened with Michel Mezy now being appoint has Chairman. No cash injection, unfortunlately for me. So given $36M for transfers, is very attractive. As per my transfers targets in my last up date below, I found it hard to find a suitable right sided winger.

Transfers targets priorities during the off season will focus on the following - 1. Attacking Right Winger/inside forward, 2. Developing central midfielder, 3. Quality Left Back (Not essential). The board have give me $37M to help me achieve this priorities.

TRANSFERS

Players In

PAUL POGBA (Loan) - Pogba sees his third season at the club on loan, once again has a $10M buyout clause. Attemtps to complete the signing on a permeant basis has frustrated the club due to his agents excessive demand and the Key role he is chasing. Its a disappointing has the club and the Manager have become a favourite for the player.

WELLINGTON NEM ($6.5M) At 22yrs, Wellington has developed very well over the last few season that our scouting staff has been tracking him. With the flexibility to be able to play through the midfield and out wide, adds another dimension to his game.

GAEL KAKUTA ($2.3) Not an original target for the club, but being touted around by his former club Chelsea for $2.3M, and being a FRance under 21 player, it appear to be a good fit for both parties. Once again Kakuta adds flexibility and depth to our creative midfield and at 23yr, looks very good.

LUIS GUILHERME ($3M) . The Brazilan under 21 Keeper, looks like the ideal long term replacement for Jourdren, already super impressive in all keep departments, he will no doubt provide plenty of competition in-between the goals.

Players Out

PAPE DIOP (Loan Fee $500K)

KOFI BOATENG ($925K)

SOPHIANE BOUSSEBAINE ($250K)

KARIMA ABDOUL SYLLA ($500K)

LARRY AZOUNI ($500K)

JONAS MARTIN ($1M)

ZAKARIA LABYAS ($3.5M) - Disappointed with this departure, as he confronted me about a few signings and we fell out. I had not hesitation in moving him on at a slight profit of $1M.

Potential Targets

RYAD BOUDEBOUZ. - A perfect fit for our Right sided Winger Target, haven't been able to accept terms to this stage.

YOHAN CABAYE. With Newcastle being relegated last season, we have started tracking the former Lique 1 player. His value of $10M, could mean a a record breaking transfer if it goes through.

EDEN HAZARD. The LOSC player has hinted at moves away from the club, with his younger brother already at the club his interest has stepped up. Bids of $15-17M have been rejected.

CURRENT SQUAD.

mp026.png

Montpellier 2013/14 Review (Massive post alert)

Squad Overview

League Cup

French Cup

CL Group

CL Knockout

CL Quarter

CL Semi

Transfers

Key Players/ Regens

Belhanda

Ait Fana

Sanogo

Bertolacci

Sergio

Segerstrom

Overlar

Huertas

Hamann

Gorican

Goncharik (When signed, currently in reserve team)

Depertris

Bolou

Zaglewski

Kozak

Hibbert

Aarab

This years Youth players

wendling

Ruiz

So along with the Super cup we cleaned up the other 2 domestic cups with ease.

The league was a lot harder however, i'd already made my mind up that 3 CB's isn't going to work but I had to work with what I had for the rest of the season and hope we could keep in touch. Going forward the tactic was fine, Sanogo was in superb form all season with 28 goals and 15 assists along with Belhanda, Ait Fana, Overlar and Hamann's massive contributions. If you look at player ratings in the screenshots it's not that the defence and keeper were playing badly, it's just that we give the opposition too many chances which they tended to take at least one of in a game.

Going in to the final game of the season this is how the table stood. Lyon had what looked a winnable game at lowly Auxerre whilst we had a tricky game at Caen. Lyon took an early lead in their game (I have the table standings as I play so can see what is happening :D) and I thought it was all over, we then had a dramatic finish in the end of our game after leading 2-1 going in to injury time, whilst Lyon were drawing which meant it looked safe for us, this is what happened in the end of my game which meant for 2 minutes Lyon were looking like champions, what I didn't notice amongst all the action in my game was Lyon had conceded a late winner to Auxerre which would have meant our late winner was almost insignificant as we would have won the league anyway (though I must admit I was buzzing at the time our goal went in :D)

I haven't gone any further than that yet, I have the Japanese regen I posted earlier in the thread coming in and he looks a lot better than when the deal was done a season and half back, plus a right back from Aberdeen who I will link later (looks a class prospect, maybe good enough to start even at 17 years old) I am going to take a bit of time over the next part of the game because I need a really big think about tactics, I do want to keep the 3 at the back ideally but if I do that then I will be using full backs and one CB, but 4-4-2 is also an option along with going back to 4-2-3-1

(apologies again for the long post but there was so much to fit in and I don't really like doing half season reports as it usually jinxes things :D)

Some good ins there Joe, looking at Hazard myself now after he said he wanted to leave too.

Great update Dexter. ;)

I am still trying to sign Hazard, but will likely wait until the end of the season. I missed out on Cabaye, mainly due to his high wages as he wanted $60K plus, and I would only offer $50K.

Season 2014 / 2015 - Review

BIG SEASON

A big season for the Montpeiller fans, as the team completed the Treble, Lique 1, French Cup and the Coupe de la Lique. After a slow start to our Lique 1 defence, taking top position in round 5 and then falling away 2 rounds later. It wasn't until the half way mark of the season until we regained the top position within the Lique. Mean while a first round lost in the Champions League Group to FC Bayern at home looked like our CL campaign could be short lived. A hard fought point away to Fenerbahce, followed by winning the remaining matches ensured that we finished the group on top. Eventually we were knocked out of in the Quarter Finals by Portuguese side FCP on away goals.

mp027.png

THE SQUAD

The squad fell amazingly thin during January whilst as many as 4 players were absent with the African's Cup and 4 long term injuries. Youth Players Abdoulaye Liri & Walid Khalid were promoted to the first team, even though only 17yrs, both performed very we'll and remained until the end of the season.

Standout Performances of the seasons were Wellington Nem and Ji Dong-Won, whom both ripped apart the Lique with assists and goals

Wellington Nem - 19 gls ,28 ass from 41 starts

Ji Dong-Won - 19 gls, 3 ass from 26 starts

Younes Belhanda - 18 gls, 13 ass from 46 starts

Oliver Giroud - 16 gls, 5 ass from 24 starts

mp028.png

The defence once again was rock solid all season, with Brazilian Keeper Guilherme claiming the No.1 from Jourdren. I suspect this position will be heavily fought over next season. The only minor issue with our defence, which has not changed in 4 seasons, is that former Captain Mapou Yanga Mbwia is looking a move away from the club. I managed to avoid this last season by signing a new contract, but I think I may let him leave if we can get around $15M for him. This may free up some space to promote one of our academy players.

Other players whom I am looking at moving on are Marco Rsenfelder who hasn't really been able to challenge for a first team role. Thomas Meunier may be moved on after struggling to get games, buts primarily used as a back up. Dusan Tadic, whom I signed for a cheap $3M, and looking to cash in for about $15M.

mp029.png

TRANSFER TARGETS

I have managed to sign two outstanding players on FREE transfers. Marc-Andre her Stegen (GK) from Gladbach to come in as expected number 1 keeper. The other 18 year old PSG attacking midfielder (regen) Bernard Leclercq .

Major target over the break is Eden Hazard (LOSC), hoping to get away with under the $22M. Ideally would like to pick up a DLP who is defensive minded. Marvin Martin could be available as Sochaux were relegated, but his tackling is poor.

mp030.png

Dilema time - I have just been offered the Real Madrid job, but declined due too - Not the sort of Club I really wanted to manage. However, since declining I have been offered the Man Utd job. Now this is more interesting to me sure to the League and squad that is at Man Utd. The squad is due to revitalised as a number of players are 30+ and their squad has become increasing thin over the years.

So I have accepted the challenge, but Have saved my current Montpeiller game where it is, in case I want to come back.

Dilema time - I have just been offered the Real Madrid job, but declined due too - Not the sort of Club I really wanted to manage. However, since declining I have been offered the Man Utd job. Now this is more interesting to me sure to the League and squad that is at Man Utd. The squad is due to revitalised as a number of players are 30+ and their squad has become increasing thin over the years.

So I have accepted the challenge, but Have saved my current Montpeiller game where it is, in case I want to come back.

Always a good decision saving before leaving, good luck with that Joe :thup:

Going to do a mid season update later tonight. Still on first season but been away all weekend so not had much play time. Should get first season done this weekend

Just a quick update Febuary 2012 from me really

League

Sitting 5th at the moment, a point seperates us and 4th/3rd. 2nd and 1st are miles ahead so its looking like a fight for 3rd place is coming. Only had 3 defeats so far (Im in mid FEB) but the 12 draws have not helped the cause much really.

Cups

Got Toulouse away in the first round of Legue Cup, fought hard but got knocked ot. Fans/board not happy. French cup made 11th round which is what the board expected, cant remember the name of the team who knocked me out, was somebody in top 8 of the League so wasn't too bothered.

Transfers

Brought in Romario in Jan, transfer was already agreed but has been outstanding so far. Was going to be a long term option but he took his chance when thrown into the first team. Also brought in Gremier on loan with future fee agreed, has pushed Belhenda out of team whilst he was away at AFCON. Also agreed deals for Fierro end of season and what I believe to be one of my greatest signings ever on FM. Sanogo was stalling on a new deal so went in with a cheeky offer, joins on a compensation payment end of season.

General Info

Did well to keep the pace when lost players at AFCON, some very tough games. Have also lost Giroud for 2 months with a torn hamstring, HUGE blow to ambitions. Since the injury weve had Draw/Loss/Loss and scored 1 goal. Sylla just isnt doing it for me and he will be leaving in the summer, especially with Fierro/Sanogo coming in. Currently in the hunt for an attacking WBL if anyone has any suggestions. I have El Katouri play there when I want defensive stability just need someone who can attack well, fallen out of love with Bedimo or is it Bocaly can't remember always getting them two confused.

Big loss in Giroud mate. Who have you brought in to cover?

Sylla was my only hope and did not perform at all. As I said though finished the season now got Fierro and Sanogo coming in so some quality cover there. Will do a proper end of season write up tomorrow, busy tonight. Ended up finishing 5th though, so just outside Europe. Very good season though, job status is Untouchable ;)

Nice work Jimbob.

I have had a bit of a disaster this morning when updating league files etc. I accidentally moved my SI folders and sent the wrong ones to the task bins. After trying to recover the binned files, the pathnames never worked again. Hence lost all my saved games and tactic...

I have just re-installed the game after a clean un-install. So I will not be able to continue my game :(

Nice work Jimbob.

I have had a bit of a disaster this morning when updating league files etc. I accidentally moved my SI folders and sent the wrong ones to the task bins. After trying to recover the binned files, the pathnames never worked again. Hence lost all my saved games and tactic...

I have just re-installed the game after a clean un-install. So I will not be able to continue my game :(

oh :( wow, dont really know what to say. Drink away your sorrows?

You planning on starting another Montepellier save then mate or trying something different?

Im thinking of doing a Montpellier save but I'm not sure if I'd enjoy it. I have played with a couple of French sides before and never really enjoyed the league. After reading a few of the posts in these thread I may just give it a go!

oh :( wow, dont really know what to say. Drink away your sorrows?

You planning on starting another Montepellier save then mate or trying something different?

I would love to go again, as I had 4 season and starting on the 5th. I think I will probably start another game this weekend, when I can sit down and plan it a bit better than the last save.

Im thinking of doing a Montpellier save but I'm not sure if I'd enjoy it. I have played with a couple of French sides before and never really enjoyed the league. After reading a few of the posts in these thread I may just give it a go!

Its pretty much like most European leagues. Although there are 6 or 7 teams who can all challenge, then the rest of teams are pretty standard. I got bored of EPL so fancied a change, really enjoying it.

I would love to go again, as I had 4 season and starting on the 5th. I think I will probably start another game this weekend, when I can sit down and plan it a bit better than the last save.

Yeah, just make sure you sign a striker ;)

This thread has really died a death :( was a good one as well. Oh well still might as well post an update.

Summer Signings

IN

Yaya Sanogo: Free

Carlos Fierro: 1mill

Ramon(WBL): 4mill

Neil Cardozo: 7mill

Bertlasconi(DM/MC/AMC): 2.5mill

Pogba: Loan, future fee 7.5 mill

Robbie Cotton: Free

Josue(DC): 1mill

Out

John Utaka: 6mill

Sylla: Loan

Released lots

Fierro, Sanogo and Ramon were deals that had already been agreed in the season. Needed some cover up top and WBL was the weakest area of the team so brought in a replacement there. Really wanted to keep Utaka as he had played well for me but West Brom came in with a 6mill bid so couldnt really say no. Splashed the cash on Cardozo who is younger and better so long term a good bit of business, he has been a briliant signing but the fans absoloutely despise him. Job stability went from Utouchable to Stable after that signing couldnt understand why. Dont think I have spelt Bertlasconi right but hey ho, close enough. Him, Pogba and Cotton were brought in as cover and for the future really. Although after an injury to Belhenda and Muralha Pogba has started quite a few games. Josue was a 15 year old Spanish DC regen who was nothing short of immense, 1mill is an abolute bargain, with potential to be better than Mbiwa im really confident with that lad.

Beginning of season

5 games in and unbeated, 4 wins 1 draw and still not top. OM have won every game and conceded 1 goal, and that was against Lille. So it will probably be a tough season, need to get results from the big sides. Team playing absoloutely brilliantly after a switch around with the tactics. Progressed to the group stages of the Euro Cup afer coasting past Ari. Then got Athletico Madrid, Basel and some Czech side in my group. So that will be loads of fun, dont think I have a strong enough team to challenge there.

The Tactic

Got rid of the three at the back formation which, although the theory was correct I just wasnt convinced by it and replaced it with 4-2-3-1 midfield pivot.

----------GK--------

--WB-DC---DC-FB--

------DM------------

------------MC------

-AMR---AMC---AML-

----------ST----------

Team Instructions

Philosophy: Rigid

Strategy: Standard although against weaker teams start attacking strong teams start counter.

Passing: Short

Closing Down: high

Tackling: More Cautious

Crosses: Drill crosses.

Also have St set to target man and change between "To feet" and "run onto ball" depending on which striker im playing.

I have increased CF and Roaming to the max on the three AM's and the MC. I wanted the back five players to stay pretty solid and not venture forwards much (apart from the WB) and then the front four to be roaming moving offering passng options, creating gaps here there and everywhere. The three Central players or the Pivots as I like to call them or the spine of the team. The DM sits deep and always offers a passing option, his RFD are set to often but he has high decisions so he only bombs forward at the right opportunity. The MC controls the game, he also bombs forward into gaps and I like him to do this a lot more often than the DM. The AMC is the creative hub, the Trequarista, the place where every mve stems from. This lad needs high stamina, creativity, passing, shooting. The all round attacking force. Giroud has scored 10 goals in five games using this tactic, so Sanogo is a little bored warming the bench, He will ge this chance one day.

nobody is probably going to read that but hey why not/

• 2 weeks later...

After reading through the 'What team should I manage thread' I decided to start a game with Montpellier. I was then amazed to find out they were leading Ligue 1 IRL (Had not paid much attention to it this season). I've found all the contributions so far to be extremely helpful! I am currently sitting in 4th place after 20 games. The main stars for me being Remy Cabella, Younes Belhanda and Mapou Yanga Mbiwa (honourable mentions also to signings Kara and Paul Pogba).

However the biggest let down is the terrible goalscoring record I have, an embarassing 24 goals in 20 games. Giroud scored in the 1st league game, then went 9 games without a goal, but I thought my faith was going to pay off when he bagged a hat-trick (albeit 2 being penalties), but he has not scored since! Any recommendations? I've tried playing him as both Target Man and Poacher and tried a few of the setups that have been suggested in the thread. Loan signing Yaya Sanogo has chipped in with 2 goals in 10 games. Any recommended ways of playing him?

DirtyJoes setting for Giroud are top class mate, try them. He's on fire for me, scored double the amount of goals than any other team in the league. Although the formation your using may make a difference

You have Sylla & Foita who is currently out on loan. I would go back and try and sign Sanogo if you can, he is the perfect long term.

This is how I have Giroud set up - 26 goals first season, and currently 5 from 12 second season.

mp012.png

Here are the settings

Thank you for the replies JimBob and DirtyJoe. I play a few different systems depending on the opposition, but they all play with 1 striker and 2 wingers supporting. The midfield 3 are set up in a triangle but their starting positions are dependant on who I am playing. Quick update, I managed to sign Yoann Gourcuff from Lyon in January as he was transfer listed for £2.5m, he's grabbed 2 in his first 2 :). I am hoping to return him to his glory days at Bordeaux a few seasons ago.

Quick question - how did you create the look of these player profiles with all the additional boxes? Ie how did you insert the biography box between Attributes and Bans? Thanks

Edit: question is for Dirty Joe ref your post on page 1 about Radja N.

Quick question - how did you create the look of these player profiles with all the additional boxes? Ie how did you insert the biography box between Attributes and Bans? Thanks

Edit: question is for Dirty Joe ref your post on page 1 about Radja N.

Its on the player's overview screen. Depending on your resolution of your screen, you can fit more boxes which you can select a view from a drop down menu.

Its on the player's overview screen. Depending on your resolution of your screen, you can fit more boxes which you can select a view from a drop down menu.

Cheers-on a laptop so dont think I will be able to do anything about it.

Have started a save with Montpellier after getting bored with my Napoli save. A really interesting squad with loads of potential! Could have done without Pogba breaking his foot in the 2nd league match......

Will post a bit more detail on my 1st season tomorrow.

My starting line-up for the first season looks like this:

--------------Jourdren---------------

Bocaly----Mbiwa---Hilton----Bedimo

---------Kara-------Estrada---------

---Camara----Belhanda----Ait Fana-

---------------Giroud-------------------

I'm doing okay until now. Won my first match against Auxerre, but drew the following matches (lille 2-2 away, rennes 1-1 home, lyon1-1 away). I am already 6 points behind OM who are first without even conceding a goal. Do you think I should use Kara as bwm or as cb? My defense hasn't been that good until now and I nearly got eliminated against Angers in the league cup. Won 3-1 after extra time.

I used Kara maiming as BWM and as a cover for the back. As you have Hilton, Mbiwa, Strambouli (becomes very good) and another who forgot.

El Katouri who also becomes pretty good. The Mbiwa/Stambouli partnership is unbreakable for me at the moment.

EDIT: 3 points clear 15 games in. Unbeaten all season, think this may be a good season.

I had a really good save with these on the previous patch managed to win the league in the first year mainly due to 1 nils. Tanga mbiwa was immense and Estrada was a brilliant flip. Over performing in the first season killed it a not for me though cos I lost interest at the start of 2nd season but I might give it another go after having a read through here. Great guide

Just started a new game with monypellier, played 19 games and were sitting 6th on 32points 2 points behind 2nd and 8 behind the leaders.

Can ANYONE tell me how to get Giroud scoring 20+? ive got him set as a poacher atm but his scoring rate isnt anywhere near anyone elses. His record is played 17 scored 5. Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks.

Just started a new game with monypellier, played 19 games and were sitting 6th on 32points 2 points behind 2nd and 8 behind the leaders.

Can ANYONE tell me how to get Giroud scoring 20+? ive got him set as a poacher atm but his scoring rate isnt anywhere near anyone elses. His record is played 17 scored 5. Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks.

Look at the settings above for him

Anyone used Abdoul Karim Sylla ?? He looked like he had potential & Giroud got injured for me and the kid is destroying the league. Playing him as a poacher & didn't expect him to do as well as he is! he has 12 goals in 6 league starts

Anyone used Abdoul Karim Sylla ?? He looked like he had potential & Giroud got injured for me and the kid is destroying the league. Playing him as a poacher & didn't expect him to do as well as he is! he has 12 goals in 6 league starts

Yeah he did pretty well for me actually in a similar situation. Got Sanogo and Fierro now though so Sylla is out on loan. Didnt do that well, but did a good job :)

So started this save a few hours before Montpellier's league game v Auxerre & Didn't really plan on updating this but as people are in here I may aswell :)

Finished the first which I won the league surprising !! Small squad so found it hard to bring players in & rotate near the end of the season my players were basically running on nothing

Can't get this league table image to work! http://gyazo.com/cc46276d0245fda07f3d4975aabad142

Here are my fixtures for the end run in, it got pretty close at the end & in the final game I was 2-0 up & then they scored in the 95th minute but it was disallowed so I help on

I didn't sign anyone & played a basic 442 but I'm into the second season so can't really show you the player stats.. Apart from Sylla & my god I love him! His goals speak for himself & Giroud broke his leg.. I did sell Marveaux for 4.4 million some how!!

6f4bb1fe3fc08934b93e68aade8c0d2a.png?1337690732

I was given around 10mill to spend but buying & selling its pretty much even with my outcome & income

Transfers

189917f5bb13ba6ce40c39ae7388911a.png?1337690541

Tolido was a Dutch regen I found, Hopefully he will turn out decent, only had to pay the compensation for him so it was decent. http://gyazo.com/d9d1e1f125abbdf7dd569f4c1ad4ba7a

I am trying to keep it French players but will be a big ask & some players I bought because think I can sell on in the future .. I have about 8mill saved incase someone comes on the transfer list who is good

This is probably the longest post I've done on here lol & Hope my league form can carry on into next season

Should be able to right click & open image in new tab? Didn't expect to win the league, suppose to finish 12th & I knew the team was good just didn't know how good they would be in pushing for that champ league spot

Yeah, I'm predicted to finish 12th as well. Gone for 4-2-3-1 with 2 DM at home and 4-2-3-1 away. Been given no money to spend :( Just revamping the scouting department, brought in few scouts :)

I was same in my first season, predicted mid table blew that out the water and finished fourth just missing Champs League so was very happy. Second season again I was predicted mid table and im 3 points clear in November. Got a tough run of games though so just trying to scrape a few points.

The turning point in my first season was losing Giroud for 6 months so only having Sylla who scored me goals but not as many as Giroud. Really enjoying this save

Think this will be my starting 11

GK- Ruffier

RB-Bocaly

CB- Boyata

CB- Mbiwa

LB- Bedimo

RM-Camara ( last year with me)

CM-Bodmer

CM- Belhanda

LM- Ait Fana/Cabella

ST- Giroud

ST- Not decided so will rotate

Think this will be my starting 11

GK- Ruffier

RB-Bocaly

CB- Boyata

CB- Mbiwa

LB- Bedimo

RM-Camara ( last year with me)

CM-Bodmer

CM- Belhanda

LM- Ait Fana/Cabella

ST- Giroud

ST- Not decided so will rotate

Ah have you still got Jourdren?? He is very good, looks underrated though, but performs better than stats shown.

Yeah I still have him, he seemed pretty decent but was also frustrating at times.. Like near end of the season if I had won I would have won the league sooner he let in a 30yard shot straight at him lol

Archived