AI Experiment - The Bandits, The Sheriffs and FM12

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Slightly disappointing transfer window with only players going out. Were there any news items for either club indicating they were trying to sign players?

Nothing at all. Mind you, you have to bear in mind that the CAs in the league they are in are around 40-50, so even their 16-17 year old youth products would be star players at this level. There is every chance that the manager is looking at their squad, realising that they are miles ahead of the league, and saving the money until they are a couple of rungs higher.

Sign players when you need to - at the moment they probably don't. The only counter-argument is that if the Sheriffs signed some players, they might emerge from the shadow of the Bandits.

Top starlets leave as expected, I'm intrigued to see how the second wave get on.

The Sheriffs look pretty strong this season and I think they will be closer, but The Bandits will have too much for them and will win the league again.

Haha Striker 2 (Paraguay) will come to the fore now. Any idea who scored most of the goals so far. How is my striker doing :)

Striker 2 (Paraguay) should improve in training more, now that he has more time to devote with not having to clean Striker 1's (Tahiti) boots this year ;)

Managing to keep players for as long as they have, they should make it to the conference divisions with a few starlets left. I expect those who left to achieve fame a lot quicker. Expect some more international call ups but less starting time at club level.

Cant wait for the next update!

Am I the only one who misread that initially as Sheriffs?

Wouldn't that be something? Wonder if the manager is astute enough to try to have the starlet tutor the idiot if that happened???

Get rid of some of that negativity the idiots possess :D

or perhaps the negativity could work the other way and turn the starlet in to an idiot, especially as he is surrounded by a dressing room full off them at the Sheriffs... But that could be an interesting concept should it ever occur. *hints at another addition to any future experiments ;)*

Pretty sure that if it happened it would be at a third team---if I recall correctly, the players all hate the opposing team, so unlikely they would ever sign for them. One of each ending up at some Premiership team in the next couple seasons is not beyond possibility however!

Don't get me wrong but I find this tendency of becoming a fan of Sheriffs just like the teenagers these days loving Barca and disregarding Real. Both clubs have written history before, especially Real was something special during the original Galacticos era. So, don't get your hopes high on the Sheriffs being the next Barca ;)

It's been a very good read, but I'm worried that you have changed too many variables to find out much about the mechanics of the game.

You mean from their default setting? Or from the previous experiments?

I've tried (as in past experiments) to have reasons for each change. In this one:

- The starlets are designed to see how far extreme players with extreme loyalties can go.

- Their placement in the non league tests their loyalty.

- Their nationality tests how one player can make a difference to an otherwise struggling nation, both in the short and long term.

- The idiots test the effect of extreme ability with idiocy, on two different levels.

- Their placement alongside each other in the non league tests their ability to co-exists, and their superiority complexes.

- The Bandits are designed to see whether a financial superpower in the non league can rise up, particularly when their board members and manager are of average quality. Can financial muscle alone do it?

- The Sheriffs are designed with a similar purpose, but with impatience and fanaticism thrown in.

The report is designed to be very thorough, in that it examines each of these areas, to track the clubs, the players, their nations and the world as a whole in separate sections. As other stuff comes up, it is investigated. Some of the changes made to the database in this version were driven by findings from previous experiments.

Plus, it's fun :)

It's been a very good read, but I'm worried that you have changed too many variables to find out much about the mechanics of the game.

I think most of the time what people learn from these experiments is very unexpected.

Kip changes a whole shedload of variables, and then everyone picks them apart to try to work out exactly what's happening by the scenes.

I guess he could change one variable at a time and make an analytical study of each variable's effects, but it wouldn't be half as fun.

I find that each iteration has actually expanded on the original allowing not just a lot of the original material to be analysed and compared to what it once was in FM07, but also following the new introductions and details to the game, such as the enhanced international experience or the ability to add or remove leagues (though no Bandits have fled to parts unknown where this is required yet). This can be seen in how large the reports and analysis has gotten since the first initial season.

All in all though, it is becoming more inspiring that this kind of dedication can carry on after so long, with such a big following, and enhance the experience of FM when we play it ourselves. I know that I now look at in game features and events with a different light now due to the many years I have followed Kip's experiments!

Season report – 2012/13 – August-December

Bandits

With the first meeting of the season between the Bandits and the Sheriffs looming at the end of the month, both sides wanted to ensure their form was sky high as the transfer window closed. The Bandits certainly started well, an 8-0 victory in the league being followed by a 7-0 triumph over Harrogate Railway as their quest to get back in the FA Cup began. And their form would only improve, with another couple of thumping league victories – 10-0 and 6-0 – laying down a marker for their rivals.

The Sheriffs may not have been scoring quite as freely, but they were showing some excellent form of their own. A 6-0 win in the league was followed by a 7-1 triumph in the first qualifying round of the FA Cup at South Park. Beefcake. Two more league wins – 4-0 and 4-1, ensured that they only trailed the Bandits by goal difference ahead of ‘welcoming’ them to the River Styx.

Both sides were up for the clash, and they traded chances in the opening period, both keepers pulling off terrific saves before the Sheriffs struck the first blow, Magalhaes scoring seven minutes before half time. They held on until half time, and the Bandits trudged off the field with the unusual feeling of being behind.

It didn’t last. Within seconds of the second period beginning, Striker 4 equalised, and when Striker 2 put the Bandits ahead after 59 minutes, the feeling of inevitability set in. But they regained their composure and the game evened out again, both sets of fans feeling that their team could come out on top. But as the Sheriffs pushed on for an equaliser, the Bandits struck on the break, Striker 2 adding his second with five minutes remaining to secure a 3-1 win.

As the final whistle blew, the Bandits celebrated their sixth straight win over their rivals, and a crucial three point lead over the side set to be their major challengers. The Sheriffs sank to their knees, knowing that this one could have been theirs.

Days later, their defence went missing in the second qualifying round of the FA Cup, conceding a couple of goals to Ossett Town, but anger and determination drove them on, Lazy Idiot Mid scoring a brace and 18 year old Rory Horlock adding four in an impressive 6-2 win. The Bandits had no such worries, hammering Met Police 7-0.

October

The Bandits opened October by scoring 11 for the first time, defeating Frome 11-1, before punishing Bedford twice in a week, 5-1 in the league and 6-0 in the third qualifying round for the FA Cup. Gloucester were then swept aside 7-0, before the unthinkable happened – they dropped the first league points in their history, drawing 1-1 at home to Maidenhead in a sloppy display. Angry, they destroyed Lowestoft 10-0 in the final qualifying round for the FA Cup to set up a home tie with Preston in the first round, and finished the month with a 7-0 win at Aylesbury in the opening round of the Red Insure Cup, which they were defending.

Meanwhile, the Sheriffs were flying, with five comfortable victories in October, along with a 3-0 win over Havant & Waterlooville in the third round of the FA Cup. Two more 5-1 victories followed in the league, before they squeaked out a narrow 1-0 win at Salisbury in the final FA Cup qualifying round, earning them a trip to Exeter. Like the Bandits, they also finished the month with a 7-0 away win in the Red Insure Cup, Leighton their victims.

So the Bandits had looked dead certs for the league, with a three point lead and a huge goal difference advantage over the Sheriffs, who knew even a win in the return match might not be enough. But with the Bandits surprisingly dropping points for the first time, the gap was a single point and the season was really on.

November

November opened with the Bandits regaining their previous imperious form, strolling to 7-0 and 4-0 wins in the league, the perfect build up to their FA Cup tie at home to League One strugglers Preston, a match that was chosen for TV. It was to be perhaps the greatest victory in the club’s history, outshooting their illustrious opponents 23-0 and winning the game 6-0. An extraordinary performance.

The Sheriffs had also opened December with a pair of wins – 2-0 and 4-0 – before their tie away to League Two Exeter. Despite dominating the game, they came up against a brick wall in the Exeter goal, and the game seemed destined for a frustrating replay. But with seven minutes to go, Lazy Idiot Str popped up with the only goal of the match, and the Sheriffs were through.

They would complete the month with three more victories – 7-0 in the first round of the Dorset Cup, 3-0 in the league and 5-0 in the Red Insure Cup. It had been a spectacular month.

The Bandits were also flying, winning the equivalent games 8-0, 3-0 and 7-0, to prove that they were back in top form, even if their lead at the top of the table remained a single point.

December

December began with the second round of the FA Cup, with the Bandits at home to Grimsby and the Sheriffs hosting Bury. The Sheriffs went first, their match being moved to a Friday night for TV, and they got off to the perfect start, Lazy Idiot Str scoring after five minutes. But four minutes later, Bury equalised, and the Sheriffs, despite continuing to dominate, began to lose their rag, picking up a total of five yellow cards.

With the game drawing to a conclusion, the Sheriffs continued to press for a winner, but Bury hit them with the counterpunch, scoring just eight minutes from time to go through 2-1, massively against the run of play. After a sterling run last season, this campaign was over disappointingly early.

The Bandits, meanwhile, were having no such problems, and blew a stunned Grimsby away in the first half, racing to a 4-0 lead before the opposition lost the plot and had a man sent off. In the mood they were in, the Bandits weren’t going to let their opposition get away lightly, and ran out stuffing them by an incredible scoreline of 9-0. Sure, this was a Grimsby side who had fallen to the Conference and were struggling in mid table, but it was still an extraordinary result.

The Bandits continued to steamroller opposition until Christmas, winning 9-0, 8-0 and 5-0 in the league and destroying Gillingham Town 9-0 in the quarter finals of the Dorset Cup, leaving them with a Christmas record of 16-1-0.

The Sheriffs, largely because of a lack of international call ups, would have played three more league games than their rivals by the time Christmas rolled around, but they won the five they had between the FA Cup defeat and the festive period, although Frome held out until the 82nd minute before losing 1-0 in the closest of the games. Their loss to the Bandits remained their only dropped points, and their record stood at 19-0-1.

The Bandits continued to put pressure on their rivals, claiming two wins from their final pair of games in 2012, winning 3-0 and 6-0 to finish the calendar year with 55 points from 19 games, two from perfection. But the Sheriffs continued to battle, beating Brackley 2-1 and Bashley 3-0 to finish the year with 63 points from 22 games.

So the Bandits are eight points behind their rivals with three games in hand, and a meeting still to come. Unless the Bandits drop more points, they Sheriffs may have to beat them to claim top spot, but they are battling away, refusing to give an inch, while perhaps hoping that the January transfer window might take a few starlets away.

With only one automatic promotion spot up for grabs, it was set to go the distance.

Sorry this has been a long way in the coming, by the way. I'm changing jobs at the moment but actually overlapping them so very very busy until the middle of next week. Then it all calms down and I do one hell of a lot less commuting. Happy days.

Mid season statistics - Bandits

Most appearances – 20+ starts

Left Back 2 – 27 + 2

Goalkeeper 1 – 27

Striker 2 – 26

Striker 4 – 25 + 3

Left Mid 1 – 25

Right Back 2 – 25

Right Mid 1 – 24 + 3

Centre Back 4 – 23 + 3

Defensive Mid 1 – 22

Centre Back 2 – 21 + 4

No room for anyone outside the starlets this year – in fact no non-starlet has started even ten fames for the Bandits this season.

Goals – 5+

Striker 2 – 59 (26 games)

Striker 4 – 38 (25 + 3 games)

Right Mid 1 – 23 (24 + 3 games)

Left Mid 1 – 20 (25 games)

Attacking Mid 2 – 10 (16 + 3 games)

Defensive Mid 2 – 10 (19 + 1 games)

Mason (ST) – 6 (9+ 7 games)

Centre Back 4 – 5 (23 + 3 games)

That isn’t a typo – Striker 2 really does have 59 goals, at more than a rate of two per game. Wow.

Assists – 10+

Left Mid 1 – 27 (25 games)

Striker 2 – 26 (26 games)

Striker 4 – 23 (25 + 3 games)

Right Mid 1 – 23 (24 + 3 games)

Mason (ST) – 13 (9 + 7 games)

Defensive Mid 1 – 12 (22 games)

As if 59 goals wasn’t enough, Striker 2 also has 26 assists. Mason is chipping in nicely for an occasional player.

Top Ratings, Min 10 starts, 8.00 Rating

Striker 2 – 9.13 (26 games)

Striker 4 – 8.88 (25 + 3 games)

Left Mid 1 - 8.81 (25 games)

Right Mid 1 – 8.60 (24 + 3 games)

Defensive Mid 1 – 8.44 (22 games)

Left Back 2 – 8.34 (27 + 2 games)

Right Back 2 – 8.34 (25 games)

Defensive Mid 2 – 8.32 (19 + 1 games)

Centre Back 4 – 8.32 (23 + 3 games)

Centre Back 2 – 8.24 (21 + 4)

Attacking Mid 2 – 8.23 (16 + 3 games)

Strikers and wingers, blowing the league apart.

Mid season statistics - Sheriffs

Most appearances – 20+ starts

Lazy Idiot GK – 30 + 1

Hamilton (AMC) – 28 + 1

Driven Idiot Str – 26 + 2

Pickup (DL) – 25 + 2

Lazy Idiot Mid – 25

McClean (ML) – 24

Tyler (DL) – 22 + 4

Lazy Idiot Def – 22

Martin (DM) – 20 + 3

Strange to see two left backs in there – at least one is being played out of position. Lazy Idiot Str only starts 18 games.

Goals – 5+

Driven Idiot Str – 31 (26 + 2 games)

Horlock (ST) – 24 (16 + 10 games)

Lazy Idiot Str – 11 (18 games)

Hamilton (AMC) – 8 (28 + 1 games)

McClean (ML) – 8 (24 games)

Lazy Idiot Mid – 6 (25 games)

Laws (ML) – 5 (10 + 5 games)

A great record from Driven Idiot Str, and a brilliant season so far from teenage striker Rory Horlock.

Assists – 10+

Lazy Idiot Mid – 21 (25 games)

Driven Idiot Str – 15 (26 + 2 games)

McClean (ML) – 12 (24 games)

Only three on the list this year, but all three can claim to be having excellent seasons.

Top Ratings, Min 10 starts, 8.00 Rating

None

The only player whose average rating is eight or above is centre back Mike Anderson, whose 8.04 rating has come from nine games. The best regular is actually Rory Horlock, the 18 year old striker with an average rating of 7.97, likely to have been harmed by ten substitute appearances. Behind him come Driven Idiot Str and James McClean, both with 7.95

Thrilling first half! Gutted to drop the first league points even though we are hammering Sheriffs regularly. Here's hoping a cup run, coupled with international call ups won't hamper us before hosting them. It should be a win to make it 7 in a row and two successive league crowns!

James McClean isnt the James McClean currently playing for Sunderland is he?

Indeed he is - not sure how I missed the transfer, I'll have a look at the save later but I suspect an out of transfer window free signing. He's very decent - 123 CA.

Indeed he is - not sure how I missed the transfer, I'll have a look at the save later but I suspect an out of transfer window free signing. He's very decent - 123 CA.

Interesting. Seems like quite a drop in leagues for someone with a reasonably high CA.

I'll be interested to see what his PA is come the end of season roundup. Perhaps he was part of a deal for one of the Idiots that went to Sunderland.

Amazing run by the Bandits....14...15? months before they dropped their first league points? Still running strong---set to run away with the division again. Sheriffs will be a close 2nd -- but I suspect they'll drop another loss somewhere this season. Suspect that some Starletts will get snatched up...but also expect 2 of the Idiots to go too. Just hope the managers can bring in some strength to cover their losses.

Archived