AI Experiment - The Bandits, The Sheriffs and FM12

I suspect it was the lower starting CA that kept the starlets on the team through January. Don't expect it to last past summer though (but still a surprise).

Great result for the Sheriffs on the cup run! Don't think they've got it in them to catch the Bandits though...playoffs for them. No surprise on the Idiots leaving...though a bit of a surprise they ended up on the same team!

Absolutely - you have to remember that the starlet CAs are 75 and 100 this time around, whereas they were 150 in FM09, which is extraordinarily high for a 17 year old.

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Glad to see this back! Having followed both of the previous experiments, I know just how good kip's experiments are!

I'm going to stick my neck out and predict that at least one of the starlets/idiots will end up at a Premiership club by the end of season 1.

Also I'm going to say that the Sheriffs or Bandits will reach round 2 of the FA Cup this year.

Woot - got both my predictions right already!

I suspect it was the lower starting CA that kept the starlets on the team through January. Don't expect it to last past summer though

I agree with this, i just don't see many remaining as there CA will have improved a lot by then. Still there is always a fresh crop of regens by then :)

So good to see the Bandits back in action... :)

I'm too late for predictions, so I'll throw in some conclusions instead. :)

I'm rather amazed that only two of the Idiots left, they are so far above the league (or even their club's) standard I thought they'd all be gone as soon as the transfer window opened. Especially as this time around they actually seem to be playing very well, discipline problems notwithstanding.

I also thought that, despite the lower starting levels, the Starlets would also be going away, as even though they are much lower in ability than the previous experiments, they are still a good three if not four levels above their current league. And bear in mind they're still kids...

I wonder, did any higher league teams inquire about any of them?

They did I believe? But this is the first incarnation of the Bandits where we can see the portfolio of the agents and their personalities to some extent. So it'll be another part where we can see whether an agent could make a difference or not in a world beater's career.

I also thought that, despite the lower starting levels, the Starlets would also be going away, as even though they are much lower in ability than the previous experiments, they are still a good three if not four levels above their current league. And bear in mind they're still kids...

I wonder, did any higher league teams inquire about any of them?

It was silent - I hope this is a sign that the AI scouting is not as all conquering as it has been in the past. We noticed in FM09 that even with the reputation of the starlets set to minimum and them having never played a professional game, everyone knew about them. Perhaps this is different.

Looking forward to next update. Checking every day. Note to self....... Stop hitting refresh. F5 will wear out

Ha. This is the update that takes a while, because the second half of the season report is accompanied by all manner of sections. The season report is finished, I'm just completing those extra sections.

Ha. This is the update that takes a while, because the second half of the season report is accompanied by all manner of sections. The season report is finished, I'm just completing those extra sections.

I jumped in here when I saw you had posted haha. Good to know one is due soon :D

Didn't the players always have agents? Did they suddenly get a more active role? I haven't noticed that...

Agents came into play in 11 I think -- at least, active agents. You can see an agents stats and players they represent by clicking on them...they have 3 stats as I recall.

We'll all be here waiting with baited breath.Its a testament to the experiment and write ups that so many people follow the thread.I predict the Bandits walked the league and the Sheriffs bottled the playoffs

We'll all be here waiting with baited breath.Its a testament to the experiment and write ups that so many people follow the thread.I predict the Bandits walked the league and the Sheriffs bottled the playoffs

Well, that would be in keeping with tradition, wouldn't it? ;)

Thanks for reading everyone, an update will be here soon :)

Season report – 2011/12 – February-May

February

The Bandits continued their relentless league form throughout February, with four victories out of four, scoring 23 goals in the process, leading up to the big return clash with the Sheriffs. Considering that the Sheriffs need to beat them and hope they drop more points somewhere else to lift the title, it looked more and more as if the title was heading to the home of the starlets.

The Bandits also reached the semi final of the Red Insure Cup with another massive win – 8-0 over Rugby. Remarkably, they even guaranteed themselves a playoff berth as early as February 11.

Meanwhile, the Sheriffs virtually killed their own chances of winning the league with a poor defensive performance against North Leigh, who earned a 2-2 draw despite being outshot 18-2. The Sheriffs won their other five February league games by an aggregate of 24-0, but the damage was done. However, they also reached the Red Insure semi-finals with a 2-0 win at Tiverton. The Bandits and Sheriffs were kept apart in the semi-final draw.

Return Clash

With the Bandits proudly displayed a record of 29 wins from 29 games, the Sheriffs went into the return game seven points behind, two draws dropping them almost out of contention in addition to their January defeat by the Bandits.

To hold any hopes of a comeback, they simply had to win at the home of the Bandits, and they started like they meant it. But on 16 minutes, the Bandits scored on the counter attack, Mike Anderson putting the league leaders ahead. The Sheriffs weren’t giving up though, and Driven Idiot Str equalised six minutes later.

The second half was an even affair, with both sides pushing for the victory, and when the winner came, it was a Sheriffs player that scored it. Sadly for the otherwise impressive Scott Hamilton, it was an own goal, and the Bandits came away with a 2-1 victory, and a ten point lead at the top of the table with just ten games to go. Surely the race was over.

March

The Sheriffs were furious, and determined that the Bandits would not sweep the competitions in their first full season. The league battle might be over, but there were still two cups to play for, with the Sheriffs hoping they could add those to their FA Cup bragging rights.

It certainly seemed as if they had given up on the league, a 1-0 defeat to Tiverton meaning that the Bandits were not the only side to beat them, before a 4-1 win enabled them to regain some form. The Bandits had no such problems, coming into the semi-final of the Dorset Cup off the back of another convincing 4-1 win.

And so to their third meeting of the season, a clash at the ground of the Bandits for the right to play in the Dorset Cup Final. Once again, the Bandits were quick out of the blocks, Striker 3 scoring after just two minutes, but the Sheriffs equalised three minutes later through Lazy Idiot Mid.

From there, however, it was the Bandits show. Defensive Mid 1 put them back in front, before Striker 3 added his second and Striker 1 made it 4-1. In the end, the Bandits outshot their rivals 31-3, and the scoreline could have been embarrassing. It didn’t help that Lazy Idiot Str was away on international duty, but it wouldn’t have mattered.

The Bandits then completed March in style, with four more league wins – 8-0, 2-0, 4-0 and 10-0, and a 5-0 cruise past Brackley in the Red Insure Cup semi-final. What a season they were having.

The Sheriffs also found form, bouncing back from their hammering in the Dorset Cup semi-final with five league wins on the spin, scoring 26 unanswered goals in the process, and setting up a Red Insure Cup final clash with their great rivals after a 3-0 win over North Leigh.

The Sheriffs had booked their playoff spot on March 3, and with a thirteen point deficit to the Bandits with five games to go, it was clearly over. But with the first ever cup final between the sides to come (over two legs), there was still room for a big finish.

April

It was to no-one’s surprise that the Bandits opened April by securing the Regional South and West title, with another pair of comfortable victories. Despite the Sheriffs also winning their opening pair of games, it had been clear from an early point in the season that the Bandits were just not going to drop any points, and anytime the Sheriffs faltered it would be a critical blow to their hopes.

With the league wrapped up and a simple looking Dorset Cup final on the horizon, the remaining big job was to beat the Sheriffs in the Red Insure Cup final. The first leg was at the River Styx, and the Sheriffs put up a much better display than in their dismal Dorset Cup semi-final performance. Despite that, and despite outshooting the Bandits 14-12, they were once again on the losing side, the Bandits running out 2-0 winners thanks to goals inside the opening twenty minutes from Defensive Mid 2 and Right Back 1.

The second leg came a week later, and was a case of ‘same old, same old’. Again the Bandits raced into a 2-0 lead inside twenty minutes, this time the goals coming from Striker 3 and Left Mid 1, and the Sheriffs knew they were beaten and folded. The Bandits scored no more goals, but dominated the game and cruised to a 4-0 aggregate triumph, and their fifth win over their great rivals of the season.

After that, it was plain sailing for the Bandits. They completed their perfect league season with a pair of 5-0 victories, to leave them with the stunning record of 40 wins from 40, with 220 goals scored. They also predictably lifted the Dorset Cup, with a thumping 9-0 victory over Portland Utd. One league, one promotion, two cups. Not a bad season, all round.

The Sheriffs also completed their league season in style, with a 10-1 win on the final day of the season, but despite their tally of 107 points and 39 point lead over third place, they had to face the playoffs, and a pair of cup knockouts (the semi-final of this league is a one leg shootout).

Playoffs

The semi-final for the Sheriffs was an absolute cruise – three goals to the good early on, they added a fourth in the second half to ease into the final and a tie against Halesowen, who reached the final on penalties. The Sheriffs would go into the game as heavy favourites, but Halesowen were one of the teams they drew with earlier in the season so nothing could be taken for granted.

The early stages were tense, with both sides picking up bookings in a testy atmosphere, but then the Sheriffs struck, Lazy Idiot Str and Lazy Idiot Mid putting them two goals up with strikes in the 29th and 32nd minute. At half time it looked a cruise, and Halesowen weren’t getting a look in. In the early stages of the second half, the Sheriffs continued to apply the pressure, but couldn’t find the third goal to kill the game off. And then Halesowen struck, Broadhurst redefining ‘against the run of play’. With 26 minutes still to play, the game was back on.

But the Sheriffs regrouped and pressed on. Oakes restored their two goal lead, and Lazy Idiot Str added a late fourth that in reality was no less than they deserved. Despite five losses to the Bandits, the Sheriffs can also claim to have had a successful season – decent cup runs including a terrific FA Cup run to the fourth round, and promotion. Job done.

Bandit Honours:

Southern League Division One South and West (2012)

Red Insure Cup (2012)

Dorset Cup (2012)

Sheriff Honours:

None

Head to Head

2011-12

Sheriffs 1-3 Bandits – Southern League Division One South and West

Bandits 2-1 Sheriffs – Southern League Division One South and West

Bandits 4-1 Sheriffs – Dorset Cup Semi Final

Sheriffs 0-2 Bandits – Red Insure Cup Final 1st Leg

Bandits 2-0 Sheriffs – Red Insure Cup Final 2nd Leg

Overall

Bandits lead the Head to Head 5-0 (13-3 on goals)

Bandits report - Best and Worst

General

Stats

New records:

Pretty much everything

This season:

Best player – Striker 3, 8.84

Top scorer – Striker 3/Striker 1, 70

Worst player – Goalkeeper 1, 7.09

Remarkably, both Striker 1 and Striker 3 finish with the same massive goal tally, and mustered 69 assists between them as well in a remarkable season. Goalkeeper 1 is somewhat harshly judged the worst player, simply because he spent the majority of most games watching from the wrong end.

Sheriffs report - Best and Worst

General

Stats

New records:

Pretty much everything

This season:

Best player – Lazy Idiot Str, 8.23

Top scorer – Lazy Idiot Str, 52

Worst player – Lazy Idiot GK, 6.91

As with the Bandits, the keepers were largely untested throughout the season, but Lazy Idiot Str certainly has put himself in the shop window.

Finance and Staff

Finance

Barcelona and Real Madrid lead the way with the Sheriffs an impressive fourth with an estimated value of £227m. Weirdly, the Bandits are valued at just £18.25m, and are nowhere to be seen.

Rich Clubs

Bandits Balance – £17.5m, with a transfer budget of £9.6m.

Sheriffs Balance - £19.9m, with a transfer budget of £12.1m.

Former Manager Watch

No former managers.

Player reports - Starlets

Goalkeeper 1 (Paraguay)

2011-12, Bandits, CA 121: Apps 51, Conc 14, Cln 38, MoM 0, YC 1, RC 0, Avg 7.09

Notes: A youth international for Paraguay, he wasn’t tested a great deal this season in the Bandits goal, but big things are expected as they rise up the divisions. CA rises an impressive 21.

Honours

Southern League Division One South and West (Bandits: 2012)

Red Insure Cup (Bandits: 2012)

Dorset Cup (Bandits: 2012)

Goalkeeper 2 (Brunei)

2011-12, Bandits, CA 99: Apps 6, Conc 1, Cln 5, MoM 0, YC 0, RC 0, Avg 7.47

Notes: Plays second fiddle to Goalkeeper 1 all season, and as a result doesn’t play a great deal. Plays three times for Brunei.

Honours

None

Left Back 1 (Scotland)

2011-12, Bandits, CA 119: Apps 45 (2), Gls 1, Asts 14, MoM 1, YC 1, RC 0, Avg 8.09

Notes: Has a stunning season and sees his CA shoot up to 119 with a regular berth. Yet to feature on the international stage.

Honours

Left Back 2 (Romania)

2011-12, Bandits, CA 96: Apps 12 (2), Gls 1, Asts 3, MoM 0, YC 0, RC 0, Avg 8.33

Notes: Another player severely hampered in his development by a lack of playing time, he performs to a high level whenever called upon, but sits of the bench the majority of the time. Yet to make waves on the international front.

Honours

None

Right Back 1 (Ecuador)

2011-12, Bandits, CA 121: Apps 43 (1), Gls 2, Asts 14, MoM 1, YC 1, RC 0, Avg 8.20

Notes: What a season – after playing a pivotal role in the Bandit success, he plays his first six games for Ecuador and is already proving to be a crowd favourite. Improving his CA well.

Honours

Right Back 2 (Trinidad & Tobago)

2011-12, Bandits, CA 98: Apps 13 (7), Gls 1, Asts 6, MoM 0, YC 0, RC 0, Avg 8.13

Notes: Plays a decent amount of games for a reserve, and appears five time for his Caribbean country. However, his needs more game time.

Honours

None

Centre Back 1 (Switzerland)

2011-12, Bandits, CA 123: Apps 41 (3), Gls 10, Asts 6, MoM 3, YC 2, RC 0, Avg 8.09

Notes: A wonderful season, including reaching double figures for goals – an impressive achievement for a centre back. Has appeared four times for the Swiss Under 21 side.

Honours

Centre Back 2 (Anguilla)

2011-12, Bandits, CA 105: Apps 3, Gls 0, Asts 0, MoM 0, YC 0, RC 0, Avg 7.60

Notes: Barely features for the Bandits, but does play four times for Anguilla, scoring a single goal.

Honours

None

Centre Back 3 (Martinique)

2011-12, Bandits, CA 126: Apps 35 (15), Gls 8, Asts 5, MoM 1, YC 2, RC 0, Avg 7.79

Notes: Played a decent amount for the Bandits but still spent more time coming off the bench than he would like. Another full international, he has played four times for Martinique.

Honours

Centre Back 4 (Tahiti)

2011-12, Bandits, CA 105: Apps 0 (1), Gls 0, Asts 0, MoM 0, YC 0, RC 0, Avg -

Notes: A frustrating domestic season, not able to make a single start, but he does succeed on the international stage, playing his first game for Tahiti and being named vice captain. Needs more games next season.

Honours

None

Left Mid 1 (Iceland)

2011-12, Bandits, CA 121: Apps 37 (9), Gls 25, Asts 34, MoM 2, YC 0, RC 0, Avg 8.21

Notes: Absolutely stunning. 25 goals and 34 assists is an extraordinary record for a winger, and he has also been noticed enough to make his debut for Iceland. Big things are afoot.

Honours

Left Mid 2 (East Timor)

2011-12, Bandits, CA 101: Apps 40, Gls 0, Asts 0, MoM 0, YC 0, RC 0, Avg -

Notes: Not a moment on the field for the Bandits this season, but two appearances (and two goals) for the East Timor Under 21s shows great promise.

Honours

None

Right Mid 1 (Bulgaria)

2011-12, Bandits, CA 118: Apps 22 (12), Gls 18, Asts 13, MoM 3, YC 0, RC 0, Avg 7.92

Notes: Spent the first half of the season as a substitute behind Hay, but shone after his rival was sold in January. Has appeared five times at Under 21 level for Bulgaria.

Honours

Right Mid 2 (Zanzibar)

2011-12, Bandits, CA 96: Apps 11 (2), Gls 4, Asts 5, MoM 1, YC 0, RC 0, Avg 7.79

Notes: Not a great campaign due to heavy competition, but plays twice for Zanzibar.

Honours

None

Defensive Mid 1 (Barbados)

2011-12, Bandits, CA 118: Apps 45 (3), Gls 10, Asts 19, MoM 0, YC 6, RC 0, Avg 8.04

Notes: A stunning season for a man who is primarily a defensive midfielder, but who showed his creative side superbly this campaign, averaging over 8.00. Has five goals in five games for Barbados.

Honours

Defensive Mid 2 (Sint Maarten)

2011-12, Bandits, CA 103: Apps 18 (2), Gls 3, Asts 9, MoM 1, YC 0, RC 0, Avg 7.77

Notes: Heavily overshadowed by his illustrious teammate, he does play well when required, and has already appeared four times for his tiny country.

Honours

None

Attacking Mid 1 (Haiti)

2011-12, Bandits, CA 123: Apps 41 (4), Gls 15, Asts 13, MoM 3, YC 2, RC 0, Avg 7.82

Notes: Involved in everything good that the Bandits did this season, he is a superb creative force in the centre of the park, and was also recognised at international level, scoring three goals in his six games.

Honours

Attacking Mid 2 (Turkmenistan)

2011-12, Bandits, CA 97: Apps 2, Gls 0, Asts 1, MoM 0, YC 0, RC 0, Avg 7.60

Notes: He will be hoping for some transfer movement in the summer, as at present he is not getting a look in for the Bandits. He actually plays far more for Turkmenistan, gaining ten caps and scoring twice.

Honours

None

Striker 1 (Tahiti)

2011-12, Bandits, CA 123: Apps 43 (10), Gls 70, Asts 36, MoM 12, YC 1, RC 0, Avg 8.42

Notes: Seventy goals and thirty six assists. Just let that sink in for a moment. One hundred and six goals that he directed contributed to. Absolutely remarkable stuff. Not only that, but he made his debut for Tahiti, who despite his tender age saw enough in him to give him the captain’s armband.

Honours

Striker 2 (Paraguay)

2011-12, Bandits, CA 102: Apps 4 (9), Gls 5, Asts 2, MoM 0, YC 0, RC 0, Avg 7.34

Notes: Another who is having to bide his time because players who started out with a higher CA, but already a star in the Under 21 scene at international level, where he has scored seven times in five games.

Honours

None

Striker 3 (Estonia)

2011-12, Bandits, CA 123: Apps 45, Gls 70, Asts 33, MoM 18, YC 0, RC 0, Avg 8.84

Notes: Another insane record, with seventy goals and thirty three assists in a ridiculously impressive season, which sees him average a remarkable 8.84. Already has two caps for Estonia, with one goal.

Honours

Striker 4 (Comoros)

2011-12, Bandits, CA 101: Apps 22 (9), Gls 24, Asts 13, MoM 2, YC 0, RC 0, Avg 8.05

Notes: The first reserve on the teamsheet, he manages a very impressive 24 goals despite starting only 22 games – terrific stuff.

Honours

None

Player reports - Idiots

Driven Idiot GK (Belize)

2011-12, Sheriffs, CA 125: Apps 11, Conc 7, Cln 5, MoM 0, YC 0, RC 0, Avg 7.05

Notes: Doesn’t get an awful lot of game time, but does play three times for Belize in a quiet first season.

Honours

None

Lazy Idiot GK (Mongolia)

2011-12, Sheriffs, CA150: Apps 52, Conc 28, Cln 36, MoM 0, YC 0, RC 0, Avg 6.91

Notes: With a great defence in front of him, isn’t tasked with doing too much, but doesn’t shine too brightly when he does. Still, he plays six times for his country.

Honours

None

Driven Idiot Def (Chinese Taipei)

2011-12, Sheriffs, CA 125: Apps 28 (1), Gls 1, Asts 6, MoM 1, YC 4, RC 1, Avg 7.92

Transfers to Sunderland for £400k

2011-12, Sunderland, CA 125: Apps 7, Gls 0, Asts 0, MoM 0, YC 2, RC 0, Avg 6.60

Notes: Was playing well for the Sheriffs when Sunderland came calling, but he hasn’t had the best of starts there. Already has five caps for Chinese Taipei.

Honours

None

Lazy Idiot Def (Nigeria)

2011-12, Sheriffs, CA 150: Apps 49, Gls 7, Asts 14, MoM 1, YC 10, RC 0, Avg 7.91

Notes: A great season for the Sheriffs, but he needs to curb his tendency to fly into tackles – ten bookings suggests a player who is a little too reckless. He has already featured seven times for Nigeria.

Honours

None

Driven Idiot Mid (Wales)

2011-12, Sheriffs, CA 125: Apps 30, Gls 9, Asts 16, MoM 0, YC 5, RC 0, Avg 7.98

Transfers to Sunderland for £475k

2011-12, Sunderland, CA 125: Apps 12 (2), Gls 0, Asts 0, MoM 0, YC 3, RC 1, Avg 6.73

Notes: After engineering a move away from the Sheriffs after falling out with the manager, he moved to Sunderland where his performance level dropped. After picking up a stupid red card, he lost the plot at Martin O’Neill and is now demanding another transfer. He has one cap for Wales.

Honours

None

Lazy Idiot Mid (Congo)

2011-12, Sheriffs, CA 150: Apps 54, Gls 33, Asts 17, MoM 4, YC 10, RC 1, Avg 8.01

Notes: A stunning record for a midfielder, he is a major reason behind the success of the Sheriffs this season. He needs to curb his ragged tackling, however. Has played twice for Congo, scoring once.

Honours

None

Driven Idiot Str (Togo)

2011-12, Sheriffs, CA 125: Apps 51 (2), Gls 43, Asts 29, MoM 7, YC 11, RC 1, Avg 8.00/B]

Notes: A fabulous season for the Togolese striker, who fired in 43 goals in a season that will live long in his memory. However, like many of the other idiots, he needs to stop flying wildly into tackles. Has played twice for Togo without scoring.

Honours

None

Lazy Idiot Str (Qatar)

2011-12, Sheriffs, CA 150: Apps 48, Gls 52, Asts 32, MoM 19, YC 12, RC 1, Avg 8.23

Notes: It is remarkable that the Sheriffs lost all five clashes with the Bandits despite their team playing so well throughout the season. Scores a huge amount of goals, but once again crosses the disciplinary line. Has three goals in six games for Qatar.

Honours

None

Competitions - England

Premiership

Man Utd retained their title, finishing three points ahead of their city rivals, with Spurs and Liverpool filling out the top four. Arsenal and Chelsea had to settle for Europa League spots, but the performance of the season came from Swansea, who finished seventh.

At the bottom, the other two promoted sides – Norwich and QPR – went straight back down, along with Sunderland, along with their two idiots.

Arsenal did get some joy out of their poor domestic season, lifting the FA Cup after a 2-1 victory over Fulham in the final. Birmingham got the furthest of all the teams from outside the Premiership, reaching the semi-finals after knocking Man City out in the quarter-finals. Elsewhere, the Sheriffs were the non-league stars, reaching the fourth round.

The League Cup was an all Manchester affair, with United again coming out on top with a 2-1 victory. Reading reached the semi-final and pushed City all the way before succumbing 4-3 on aggregate.

A stunning season for Man Utd was completed in the Champions League, with a 2-0 win over Chelsea in an all Premiership clash. All four English sides reached the quarter-finals, but any hopes of more than two progressing were denied when the draw pitted them all together. Surprisingly, both Barcelona and Real Madrid went out to Manchester clubs in the first knockout round.

The Europa League was won by Dortmund, who beat Dynamo Kiev 2-1 in the final. English interest was ended in the last sixteen when Stoke, Spurs and Fulham all crashed out.

Premiership Analysis - Reputation

(league position in bold)

1 (-). Man Utd (1) – 9362

2 (-). Chelsea (6) – 9145

3 (-). Man City (2) – 8600

4 (-). Arsenal (5) – 8350

5 (-). Liverpool (4) – 8200

6 (-). Tottenham (3) – 7950

7 (-). Newcastle (14) – 7100

8 (-). Everton (11) – 6950

9 (-). Aston Villa (10) – 6900

10 (-). Fulham 8() – 6690

11 (-). Stoke (12) – 6300

12 (-). Bolton (13) – 6250

12 (-). West Brom (9) – 6250

14 (-). Wigan (15) – 6236

15 (-). Blackburn (17) – 6200

15 (-). Wolves (16) – 6200

17 (-). Swansea (7) – 6150

18 (-). Sunderland (19) – 5398

19 (-). QPR (20) – 5270

20 (-). Norwich (18) – 5228

Promoted sides

Southampton – 6380

Crystal Palace – 6130

Reading – 6130

Elsewhere

Bandits – 1188 (+188)

Sheriffs – 1063 (+63)

Man Utd cement their position at the top, while Chelsea retain second despite a poor league campaign, largely thanks to a run to the Champions League final. Of the promoted sides, Southampton look best placed to stay up.

Overachievers : Swansea

Underachievers : Chelsea, Newcastle

Title Prediction : Man Utd to remain at the top

Relegation Prediction : Wolves to join Crystal Palace and Reading in relegation

Competitions – Around the world

Your annual guide to the major competition winners from across the globe:

[number in brackets after a win indicates how many consecutive wins that club has now had]

World

World Club Cup – Barcelona

Europe

Champions League – Man Utd

UEFA Cup – Dortmund

England

Premiership – Man Utd (Relegated – Norwich, Sunderland, QPR, Promoted – Southampton, Crystal Palace, Reading)

FA Cup – Arsenal

League Cup – Man Utd

France

Ligue 1 – Lyon (Relegated – Evian, Saint Etienne, Ajaccio, Promoted – Monaco, Lens, Sedan)

Coupe de France – Nice

Coupe de la Ligue – Marseille (3)

Germany

Bundesliga – Bayern Munich (Relegated – Gladbach, Hertha, Promoted – Frankfurt, 1860 Munich)

DFB-Pokal – Hoffenheim

Italy

Serie A – Napoli (Relegated – Lecce, Cesena, Parma, Promoted – Sampdoria, Torino, TBD)

Italian Cup – Atalanta

Spain

La Liga – Barcelona (4) (Relegated – Granada, Racing, Rayo, Promoted – Celta, Gimnastic, TBD)

Copa del Rey – Sporting

International

World Cup – n/a

African Cup of Nations – Cameroon

Asian Cup – n/a

European Championships – n/a

Gold Cup – n/a

Oceania Nations Cup – n/a

Copa America – n/a

Confederations Cup – n/a

Olympics – n/a

Napoli are the surprise winner of Serie A, while Barcelona win the Spanish League by a remarkable 21 points.

Summary

What a season for the Bandits. Forty wins from forty in the league, and two non-league cup victories. The Sheriffs did just fine too, despite losing all five games to the Bandits – promoted through the playoffs, and a terrific run to the fourth round of the FA Cup.

No movement amongst the starlets, although their reputations will have been enhanced this season. Two idiots have already left to join Sunderland, but didn’t help – both played poorly and they got relegated from the Premiership, although they did get a massive wage hike. More may leave this summer.

The European Championships are next – Spain will go in as favourites, but it will not be long until the starlets and idiots gatecrash the party.

Starlets and Idiots

World View – Club Reputation

The top twenty clubs in the world, based on their reputation:

1 (1). Barcelona – 9550 (-)

2 (3). Man Utd – 9362 (+212)

3 (2). Real Madrid – 9300 (-)

4 (4). Chelsea – 9145 (+95)

5 (5). Bayern Munich – 8900 (-)

6= (6=). AC Milan – 8850 (-)

6= (6=). Inter – 8850 (-)

8 (8). Juventus – 8650 (-)

9 (9). Man City – 8600 (-)

10 (10). Porto – 8500 (-)

11 (11). Arsenal – 8350 (-)

12= (12=). Liverpool – 8200 (-)

12= (12=). Roma – 8200 (-)

14= (14=). Lyon – 8150 (-)

14= (14=). Benfica – 8150 (-)

14= (14=). Corinthians – 8150 (-)

17 (17). Sao Paulo – 8100 (-)

18= (18=). Paris St Germain – 8000 (-)

18= (18=). Valencia – 8000 (-)

18= (18=). Atletico Madrid – 8000 (-)

18= (18=). Schalke – 8000 (-)

18= (18=). Marseille – 8000 (-)

18= (18=). Flamengo – 8000 (-)

18= (18=). Sporting – 8000 (-)

Dropping out:

None

It appears that the club reputations in countries outside of playable leagues don’t update until the season changeover. This snapshot is on the last day of May 2012, and is largely unchanged from the July data.

World View - Ones to watch

Your annual guide to the stars of tomorrow:

James Manton (Crewe/England, 16, ST, 89-200) is the first regen to appear with 200 PA, and starts with a decent CA at the age of 16. He started making waves in League Two this season, scoring four times in his seven appearances, and could be absolutely huge if his head is screwed on, which is appears to be.

Previous tips

None

World View - World beaters

Lionel Messi (Barcelona/Argentina, 24, AM RLC/FC, 198-199). Gains three points of CA and moves inexorably towards his massive potential. 29 goals in another terrific season.

Messi

Cristiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid/Portugal, 27, AM RL/ST, 191-193). Gains a single point of CA too, but sees Messi disappear into the distance. Has a minimum fee release clause of £870m. Yes, really.

Ronaldo

Number of 190+ CA players : 2

Number of 180+ CA players : 9 (+3)

Number of 170+ CA players : 42 (+7)

Number of 190+ PA players :11 (+6) (excluding starlets and idiots)

Number of 180+ PA players : 76 (+15) (excluding starlets and idiots)

Number of 170+ PA players : 254 (+43) (excluding starlets and idiots)

Already it seems that the database changes throughout the experiment will mirror FM09, with a rapid increase of players will potential to be top stars. In FM09, the number doubled in a few years, suggesting that the original database and the regen system didn’t balance out.

World View - Distribution of 180+ CA players

The clubs

Team                Number of stars

Barcelona           2 (-) (198, 184)
Real Madrid         2 (-) (191, 183)
Man Utd             1 (-) (183)
Bayern Munich       1 (-) (182)
Lyon                1 (-) (182)
Man City            1 (-) (180)
Liverpool           1 (-) (180)
[b]Total               9 (-)[/b]

Barcelona and Read Madrid have the only two 190+ players, and are the only two clubs with two world stars. No surprise there really.

The leagues

Country   Stars

Spain     4 (-)
England   3 (-)
Germany   1 (-)
France    1 (-)
[b]Total     9 (-)[/b]

The Spanish and English leagues still hold the majority of the world stars, with Serie A noticeably absent from the list.

The nationalities

Country   Stars

Spain       3 (-)
Argentina   1 (-)
Portugal    1 (-)
England     1 (-)
Germany     1 (-)
France      1 (-)
Ivory Coast 1 (-)
[b]Total       9 (-)[/b]

Not surprising to see defending World and European champions Spain topping the list ahead of the summer’s European Championships.

World View - Starlet and Idiot Nationality Rankings

11 (61). 1023 (+509) - Scotland (Left Back 1 – 0 caps)

24 (43). 848 (+212) - Nigeria (Lazy Idiot Def – 7 caps)

40 (26). 683 (-122) - Paraguay (Goalkeeper 1 – 0 caps, Striker 2 – 0 caps)

46 (87). 623 (+243) - Trinidad & Tobago (Right Back 2 – 5 caps)

47 (53). 613 (+41) - Romania (Left Back 2 – 0 caps)

51 (30). 587 (-192) - Switzerland (Centre Back 1 – 0 caps)

74 (89). 455 (+85) - Qatar (Lazy Idiot Str – 6 caps)

75 (48). 444 (-155) - Bulgaria (Right Mid 1 – 0 caps)

84 (113). 403 (+130) - Wales (Driven Idiot Mid – 1 cap)

93 (67). 352 (-127) - Ecuador (Right Back 1 – 6 caps)

97 (79). 333 (-67) - Estonia (Striker 3 – 2 caps)

107 (123). 295 (+55) - Togo (Driven Idiot Str – 2 caps)

109 (145). 292 (+135) - Barbados (Defensive Mid 1 – 5 caps)

114 (148). 281 (+135) - Belize (Driven Idiot GK – 3 caps)

136 (124). 206 (-33) - Congo (Lazy Idiot Mid – 2 caps)

138 (175). 203 (+122) - Comoros (Striker 4 – 0 caps)

146 (121). 181 (-63) - Iceland (Left Mid 1 – 1 cap)

150 (138). 173 (-4) - Turkmenistan (Attacking Mid 2 – 10 caps)

157 (163). 156 (+50) - Mongolia (Lazy Idiot GK – 6 caps)

171 (166). 119 (+23) - Chinese Taipei (Driven Idiot Def – 5 caps)

173 (117). 109 (-147) - Haiti (Attacking Mid 1 – 6 caps)

177 (198). 97 (+88) - Brunei (Goalkeeper 2 – 3 caps)

185 (182). 66 (+9) - Tahiti (Centre Back 4 – 1 cap, Striker 1 – 1 cap)

186 (200). 63 (+57) - Anguilla (Centre Back 2 – 4 caps)

198 (202). 38 (+35) - East Timor (Left Mid 2 – 0 caps)

N/A (-). 0 - Martinique (Centre Back 3 – 4 caps)

N/A (-). 0 - Zanzibar (Right Mid 2 – 2 caps)

N/A (-). 0 - Sint Maartan (Defensive Mid 2 – 4 caps)

Scotland make enormous strides from 61st to 11th in the world rankings, without any help from their starlet, largely because they successfully finished second in a European Championship qualifying group that including Spain, Denmark and Czech Rep, and then won the playoff against Turkey. Most impressively, they beat Spain 2-1 away from home to secure that spot.

Archived