Philosophy and Familiarity

Right now according to the Tactics Familiarity Panel one can change from say Very Rigid to Very Fluid with no drawbacks whatsoever. This has always seemed odd to me.

As most people already know when a team's Philosophy is changed three things are influenced as well.

Changing Philosophy affects Creative Freedom, Closing down and Mentalities for all your players. Yet when philosophy is changed the tactical familiarity levels in these three categories DOES NOT change.

So my question for anyone who knows for sure is this : Does changing philosophy affect these three variables and it simply isn't reflected when looking at the Tactic Familiarity Levels panel OR does changing philosophy not affect these familiarity levels at all ?

Seems to me that it should but perhaps this is one of the limitations of the current Match Preparation aspect of this game.

Thanks.

I don't know for sure but I'm certain you can make "minor adjustments" to your tactics and shouts without damaging familiarity. As well as this your team will become familiar with tactical changes that you make regularly.

So progressing this point we need to work out how exactly how to assess "minor adjustments". You are implying that changing philosophy (or fluidity/rigidity) is more than a "minor adjustment"...but are you changing from balanced to very fluid/rigid or are you changing from very fluid to very rigid?...clearly the latter would be a bigger adjustment...and try an experiment where you leave philosophy unchanged but change something else that also doesn't affect familiarity...now change them both...you'll probably find that familiarity now collapses so you've proved that it's just the extremeness of the changes that matter and there's nothing special about philosophy...that's my guess anyway :)

I don't know for sure but I'm certain you can make "minor adjustments" to your tactics and shouts without damaging familiarity. As well as this your team will become familiar with tactical changes that you make regularly.

So progressing this point we need to work out how exactly how to assess "minor adjustments". You are implying that changing philosophy (or fluidity/rigidity) is more than a "minor adjustment"...but are you changing from balanced to very fluid/rigid or are you changing from very fluid to very rigid?...clearly the latter would be a bigger adjustment...and try an experiment where you leave philosophy unchanged but change something else that also doesn't affect familiarity...now change them both...you'll probably find that familiarity now collapses so you've proved that it's just the extremeness of the changes that matter and there's nothing special about philosophy...that's my guess anyway :)

Yeah what Im saying is that you can make either small or large changes in Philosophy and according to the Tactics Familiarity Panel nothing negative happens (not even the smallest loss in familiarity in any of the 3 categories affected). This also confirms what I've noticed. I sometimes change philosophy from game to game (sometimes in game) and never notice any negative affects on my team's play (I watch all games in full time).

So for example when you change the Creative Freedom setting under your team instructions you automatically lose some familiarity. Now if you change philosophy which also changes the Creative Freedom levels of all your players, you don't lose any familiarity.

My hunch is that this lack of penalty is something the game developers didn't get around to doing. Either that or there is a penalty that simply isn't being reflected on the Tactics Familiarity Panel and is hardly noticeable when watching the games as well.

Sorry, I thought I had answered your question indirectly.

If you make either small (V Rigid to Rigid) or large (V rigid to V Fluid) adjustments in Philosophy, familiarity does not suffer one bit in either case. The change from one philosophy setting to another (any) never affects familiarity levels.

If you change a variable that does not affect Familiarity (say tackling or roaming or def line depth) and then change philosophy, again you suffer no loss in familiarity.

I've noticed this as well, but have no answers regarding what is supposed to happen or is happening "under the hood". Its quite a nice bonus really for those times when you fill up your library of tactics with different formations rather than different philosophies / mentalities.

Archived