Giving old players a new lease of life

Sometimes an old player lets himself go, or just due to the ravages of Father Time, his attributes dwindle accordingly.

However, how about those players who are just in the doldrums and just need that one chance of being given the responsibility of making a bit of a comeback? A last hurrah?

A player who is, say, 35, given the right coaxing, may get himself in the right shape and actually increase his attributes, if were left to rot elsewhere. I know this would be difficult to implement, but would be nice to have if it were to happen, to say one in a 5,000 older players, who are given a new lease of life.

i think this has more to do with mentality/lack of motivation than stats.

for example if a player lets himself go his attributes dwindle accordingly. the reason why he's let himself go could be a mixture of mentality and lack of motivation.

if he goes to a new club then motivation may go up. i know lack of motivation adn wanting a new challenge are in the game although i dont think it makes much difference to how well they train.

two of my Central midfielders want to leave and they're only 25 years old. they're both still got good morale though and training well.

if its a case of just making it work slightly better then i'm all for it. if it's already in then great.

Its a decent idea but if it happens 1 in 5000, then it's not really worth putting in.

Was just an aribtrary figure. But putting all such things in would give the game much more life. It would make people come on here and say "guess what happened in my game".

Too many careers pan out the same way. We need more variation.

Look at jack Lester with Chesterfield, when he was at Sheffield she was rotting in the reserves and doing rubbish. Then we signed him, and he became the best player on the team scoring a impressive 24goals in his first season

I'm in support of this idea as well.

In the current state of FM, once a player reaches a certain older age, their attributes dramatically drop and this shouldn't be the case if they are getting regular competitive football. Many footballers in real life who are over the age of 32-33 are performing like world class players and I feel this needs to be reflected in FM 09 at all costs. Like it has been mentioned before, it would take the game to a whole new level and add a touch more of personality and loyalty.

For those of us who spend the majority of their careers in the lower leagues, this is essential since players who were world class but are past their prime shine like stars at night in these types of leagues and make the game that much more exciting.

Great idea, I see no reason why it shouldn't and couldn't be implemented in FM 09 and future versions.

Archived