[FM12] The complete world encyclopedia of insults shouted at virtual football players

noikeee

MLS represent with a couple of those real players you got!

Other than McMath and Montero iirc (pretty sure it's him or another of my forwards who have MLS draft info on his profile), not sure who else you're talking about!

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply

November 2015

westerlo_160.gif

Transfers (in)

Bernardo (DC) – This Colombian adds quality in the defensive sector and is now rated in theory my best centre-back.

Fixtures

Europa League Group Stage: Westerlo 3-2 Twente (Caballero, Djidji, Liliu)

Certainly didn’t see this coming. Great win over opponents who are several levels of experience and quality above us. 3 assists from the superkid Remi Naert!

Jupiler Pro League: Westerlo 1-1 Club Brugge (Tomás Costa)

A good result but there’s rumors my board is losing patience with me and I need wins.

Jupiler Pro League: Westerlo 2-0 FC Brussels (Naert(2))

The increasingly impressive Naert bags 2 goals and saves my ass yet again, making it a fairly easy game.

Cofidis Cup 7th Rnd: Westerlo 2-0 AA Gent (Caballero, Tomás Costa)

Baffling – despite setting out in our most defensive form, we dominated the match and got a very pleasing victory.

Jupiler Pro League: Westerlo 0-2 Anderlecht

The mid-week cup game tired our legs but it could’ve gone either way, we were a little unlucky here.

Player of the month

Remi Naert (ST) – This kid is suddenly becoming a star. Superb games against Brussels (2 goals) and Twente (3 assists), plus another assist vs Club Brugge.

Competitions

Jupiler Pro League:

JupilerProLeagueOverview_Stages-19.jpg

Cofidis Cup: Anderlecht are the opponents in the quarter-finals. I’m not very happy with that…

Europa League:

UEFAEuropaLeagueOverview_Stages-2.jpg

Summary

This was a positive month given we beat two teams superior to us and also drawn with another, but we’ve not climbed in the league table (albeit trimmed down the points deficit somewhat) and we’re miles behind the pre-season goal of making it to Europe, so the danger of getting myself fired is still very much high.

December 2015

westerlo_160.gif

Fixtures

Europa League Group Stage: Westerlo 3-0 Juventus (Céspedes, Naert(2))

You’ve got to be sh*tting me. What the hell? This is amazing. We were genuinely better than them, too. I’m about to be sacked and I grab the most sensational win of my career.

Jupiler Pro League: Antwerp 0-2 Westerlo (Naert(2))

Remi Naert again! We benefitted from a red card but it wasn’t straightforward, the 2-0 only came in injury time.

Jupiler Pro League: Westerlo 0-0 Mons

We were firmly on the rise before this game so it was quite disappointing not to take points from these mid-table rivals.

Jupiler Pro League: Westerlo 2-0 Beerschot AC (Cidinho, Djidji)

Tough game, took quite a while for us to grind out the first goal but it went smoothly after that.

Europa League Group Stage: Dinamo Bucharest 1-2 Westerlo (Caballero, Yulu-Matondo)

A very good win, unfortunately we lost qualification on direct results between teams as they had won 3-1 in Belgium. One more goal would’ve seen us through.

Cofidis Cup Qtr Final 1st Leg: Anderlecht 1-0 Westerlo

Completely unfair. 4-0 in clear cut chances in our favor and we lose.

Jupiler Pro League: Standard 0-2 Westerlo (Tomás Costa, Naert)

Excellent win. We went to the league leaders’ field, restricted them to 0 chances and scored twice in counter-attacks.

Jupiler Pro League: Genk 0-0 Westerlo

Good away draw with a strong team, nevertheless it’s a team we should be gaining points to.

Player of the month

Tomás Costa (MC/MR/DM) – An excellent month by the argentinian midfielder with superb defensive performances all month long plus 2 assists versus Juventus and 1 goal vs Standard. Unfortunately his contract is running out and he doesn't want to renew.

Competitions

Jupiler Pro League:

JupilerProLeagueOverview_Stages-20.jpg

Cofidis Cup: 1-0 down to Anderlecht in the mid of the quarter-finals.

Europa League:

UEFAEuropaLeagueOverview_Stages-3.jpg

Summary

A very, very good month. Considering we went against Juventus, Anderlecht, Genk, only conceding 2 goals in 8 matches is sensational. Even better was the fantastic 3-0 win over Juve, unfortunately our European adventure is over. We’ve been improving steadily from our earlier terrible league run and I’m now less likely to get sacked, albeit we’re still 6 points behind 6th place which is my main goal (top 6 = Championship playoff and almost guaranteed an European place).

Wow, good end to the Europa league group, shame it was too late.

Yep, it's all going too late really, we're doing much much better in the league now too but won't make it to our pre-season goal.

January 2016

westerlo_160.gif

Transfers (in)

Giorgi Merebashvili (AMC / M/AMRL) (120K€) – I’m giving him a bit too much money, but fancied him for his versatility, this experienced Georgian international should be a very useful squad player.

Transfers (out)

Time to trim down the huge squad a little. Francisco Alex was sold by 20K€, keeper Zac McMath by 220K€, and most significantly, promising striker Youssouf Koné by 575K€ + 50% profit of next sale – to Lille. Koné had huge potential according to my assistants but he wasn’t developing at all and was always nervous when I tried to give him playing time. Another big sale was Cris Martínez to Standard for 550K€, another good player on theory who wasn’t confirming the theory on the pitch.

Fixtures

Jupiler Pro League: Westerlo 0-1 Lokeren

Erm, this wasn’t part of the plan. They were luckier than us in this tight match.

Jupiler Pro League: Westerlo 3-1 AA Gent (Naert, Céspedes, Maertens(og))

An important win over the team that was in 6th place, this opens up a whole new lot of mathematical possibilities mid-table.

Jupiler Pro League: Sint-Truiden 1-0 Westerlo

I watched my team play well, I watched Céspedes hitting the bar twice, but we came out of it with 0 points.

Cofidis Cup Qtr Final 2nd Leg: Westerlo 5-0 Anderlecht (Casco(og), Yulu-Matondo(3), Cidinho)

I noticed Cidinho was getting acres of space in-between the lines on the counter, so I set the team to get the ball forward quickly whilst setting him as playmaker. It worked beautifully as we put in an absolutely sensational performance, and are obviously through to the semis.

Jupiler Pro League: Westerlo 3-1 KV Kortrijk (Naert(2), Djidji)

Quite pleased that we turned the game around after going 1-0 down early, and our first goal was a great team move. We’re playing some nice football at the moment.

Player of the month

Remi Naert (ST) – It was between him and the increasingly impressive Cidinho, but the kid gets it, again. 1 goal vs Gent, 2 goals vs Kortrijk, and 2 assists vs Anderlecht. Having a mighty breakthrough season.

Competitions

Jupiler Pro League:

JupilerProLeagueOverview_Stages-21.jpg

Cofidis Cup: Qualified for the semi-finals and the opponents are OH Leuven who should be well within our reach.

Summary

Unfortunately unexpected defeats to Lokeren and Sint-Truiden have cut the legs of our surge to still make it into 6th place. It’s not impossible but 7 points in 6 matches may be too much, 7th should be possible tho, which would smooth the feeling of an underachieving season. In the cup it’s all wonderful, that 5-0 win over Anderlecht was amazing and we have an easy opponent in the semi-finals, looking good to reach the final again.

Meanwhile the board agreed to my request and will invest 3.4M€(!) in new youth facilities.

February 2016

westerlo_160.gif

Fixtures

Jupiler Pro League: Zulte Waregem 1-5 Westerlo (Céspedes, Naert, Yulu-Matondo, Montero(2))

High quality display of counter-attacking football, and Fredy Montero came out of the bench to end his long goal drought with a brace. Excellent game by Jair Céspedes too.

Jupiler Pro League: Westerlo 0-0 OH Leuven

We pushed and pushed and the ball wouldn’t go in, even with clear one-on-ones.

Cofidis Cup Semi-Final 1st Leg: OH Leuven 1-3 Westerlo (Yulu-Matondo, Naert(2))

Same opponents, different competition, away disadvantage, much better performance and result. It’s strange but we’re playing better away from home at the moment. We should be through to the final with this.

Jupiler Pro League: Mons 0-0 Westerlo

Again not a bad result, but again we would’ve wanted to gain points over them.

Jupiler Pro League: Westerlo 2-0 KV Mechelen (Céspedes, Van Hoevelen(og))

Solid win which was never in doubt.

Jupiler Pro League: Club Brugge 1-0 Westerlo

An early goal and a red card to centre-back Bernardo didn’t help, nevertheless we held our own and were a little unlucky to lose.

Player of the month

Jair Céspedes (ML) – The experienced Peruvian winger is showing his best form at the moment, superb game against Zulte Waregem scoring 1 and assisting 2, then 1 assist in the cup semi-final and 1 goal vs Mechelen.

Competitions

Jupiler Pro League:

JupilerProLeagueOverview_Stages-5.jpg

Cofidis Cup: 3-1 up on OH Leuven after the 1st leg of the semi-final.

Summary

Despite our much better second half of the season we never made it as high as we should in the league, from 3rd last season to 9th (potentially 8th at best) is quite disappointing. Nevertheless we’re into the European playoff, we need to win the group then win a knockout round then a final playoff vs a team from the top 6 to make it, which sounds mega difficult – the good news is that we’re well on our way to qualify for the Europa League through the cup anyway.

Don't think I'm going to get sacked anymore, and I have 1 further year of contract.

March 2016

westerlo_160.gif

Fixtures

Jupiler Pro League: FC Brussels 1-2 Westerlo (Céspedes(2))

We completely dominated the game, it’s a joke that we only won by 1 goal difference. We finish the regular season in 8th.

Jupiler Pro League Euro Playoff Grp B: Westerlo 3-0 KV Mechelen (Coppens, Naert, Djidji)

Great way to start the playoffs, with nice goals too, Coppens scored a freekick and Naert a wonderful solo goal.

Cofidis Cup Semi-Final 2nd Leg: Westerlo 2-0 OH Leuven (Montero(2))

Easy straightforward win and we’re through to the cup final!!

Jupiler Pro League Euro Playoff Grp B: OH Leuven 2-2 Westerlo (Yulu-Matondo, Montero)

I’m very disappointed we squandered a 1-0 lead and even trailed 2-1, but we did still get the equalizer. We’re superior to them and should be winning these games if we’re to go through (only 1st place in the group is enough).

Player of the month

Jair Céspedes (ML) – Still on great form, MOM against Brussels with a brace, then 1 assist in the Mechelen game and another in the league Leuven game. With this he reached 12 assists which is a Westerlo record. Fredy Montero seems to have rediscovered his scoring mojo too.

Competitions

Jupiler Pro League:

JupilerProLeagueOverview_Stages-22.jpg

JupilerProLeagueOverview_Stages-2-3.jpg

Cofidis Cup: Facing Club Brugge in the final the 21st of May.

Summary

Decent start to the euro playoffs albeit I think losing points to Leuven was disappointing, nevertheless we’re on good form and should use this as good momentum. In the cup we’re again in the final and again versus one of the best teams in the nation, however it seems pretty unlikely we’ll repeat the feat of losing by 5-0!

April 2016

westerlo_160.gif

Fixtures

Jupiler Pro League Euro Playoff Grp B: Zulte Waregem 1-1 Westerlo (Bernardo)

Quite poor performance and we’re lucky to get a point. Strange to think that only 2 months ago we won the same fixture 5-1, playing the same strategy (set out narrow then exploit the flanks quickly to counter their weird 4-1-2-2-1 5 CMs formation). Not a good time of the season to be losing form.

Jupiler Pro League Euro Playoff Grp B: KV Mechelen 0-2 Westerlo (Djidji, Montero)

Very important win which could prove the clincher for 1st place in the group. I tinkered all game long with tactics as Mechelen continuously changed shape, and it paid off.

Jupiler Pro League Euro Playoff Grp B: Westerlo 5-0 OH Leuven (Montero, Cidinho, Djidji, Merebashvili, Perea)

Our creative players on fire vs Leuven’s shoddy defense = goals. Gives us important goal difference advantage over Waregem going into the last fixture.

Jupiler Pro League Euro Playoff Grp B: Westerlo 2-0 Zulte Waregem (Montero, Tomás Costa)

We won a ton of set pieces and used them to our advantage to qualify from the group.

Player of the month

Jair Céspedes (ML) – 6 assists in 4 games this month. Brilliant!

Competitions

Jupiler Pro League:

JupilerProLeagueOverview_Stages-23.jpg

The playoff semi-final is against KV Kortrijk. If we beat them and qualify, we face a team from the top 6 championship playoff for the final European place.

Cofidis Cup: Still facing Club Brugge in the final the 21st of May.

Summary

A great month sees us qualify with great momentum. I think we’re better than Kortrijk, and Club Brugge will be shocked to have gone out in the playoff, so we have a good chance in both fronts, league and cup, to still get into the Europa League. And I’d like to win the cup, obviously!

May 2016

westerlo_160.gif

Fixtures

Jupiler Pro League Euro Playoff Semi-Final 1st Leg: KV Kortrijk 1-2 Westerlo (Tomás Costa, Cidinho)

Proper away win and we missed a penalty too. Looking good for making the final then – we lost both Tomás Costa and Coppens to injury though.

Jupiler Pro League Euro Playoff Semi-Final 2nd Leg: Westerlo 3-0 KV Kortrijk (Cidinho, Keet(og), Naert)

We completely unsettled Kortrijk by (needlessly) playing the most defensive version of our football. Our keeper Silvio Proto had a wonderful game and at the other end we scored 3 anyway! Remi Naert’s 17th goal of the season becomes a new club record. Now onto the final against AA Gent…

Jupiler Pro League Euro Playoff Final 1st Leg: Westerlo 1-1 AA Gent (Montero)

Gent are a good side but this was a fairly poor result, leaving us in the position of almost needing to win away in the 2nd leg to grab that final Europa League spot. It could’ve been worse tho, without Fredy’s great goal 10 minutes before the end.

Jupiler Pro League Euro Playoff Final 2nd Leg: AA Gent 2-0 Westerlo

We were outclassed and nothing went our way. It’s disappointing to get within 1 game of saving our season in the league but that’s football. Time to focus on the cup final now.

Cofidis Cup Final: Club Brugge 1-2 Westerlo (Vansteenkiste(og), Tomás Costa)

Yes!! What a great finale, after all we still made Europe and I lifted my first major trophy. Two early goals got us into a quite comfortable lead but the game got tenser and tenser later on, as they scored 1 too and continuously threatened to equalize, whilst we were on worse physical condition than them and played more and more defensive. At the end we just managed to hold on to the win and the cup.

Player of the month

Silvio Proto (GK) – I feel bad about criticizing him here earlier in the season, because he’s playing brilliantly now. Superb performance in the 2nd leg vs Kortrijk, including.. an assist.

Competitions

Jupiler Pro League: Lost in the European Playoff final to AA Gent.

Cofidis Cup: Winners! For the second time in the club’s history.

Summary

This was a great way to finish the season! No doubt the league performance was disappointing, it’s quite a drop from 3rd last season to 8th this time. But all things considered, I’m very optimistic for the future. I’ve got a young squad packed with fantastic teenage talents, and when the team is at its best we are amazing. We’ve really had some brilliant games this season: the 3-0 over Juventus, the 5-0 over Anderlecht, 6-2 vs Mainz, 2-0 away vs Standard, 5-1 away vs Waregem. We’ve also won the cup and did pretty well in the Europa League. And after prize money, we have a fantastic 5.3M€ in the bank at the moment.

I’ve got one more year of contract and hopefully I’ll stay for longer! Belgium’s being quite enjoyable so far.

Analysis, highlights and numbers – 2015/2016 season

westerlo_160.gif

Tactics and usual starting eleven

KVCWesterloTactics_TeamInstructions-2.jpg

I used this as my base tactic since the middle of the season or so as I looked into getting more stability into my midfield (compared to the 4-1-3-2), but got creative later on with all sorts of mini tweaks in terms of shouts, roles and occasionally setting Cidinho as playmaker.

Squad

KVCWesterloSquad_Players-5.jpg

KVCWesterloSquad_Players-2-3.jpg

Top 5 key players of the season

5. Tomás Costa (MC) – Another great season from the experienced Argentinian midfielder, to my delight he still agreed to renew for a further year.

4. Henrique Miranda (DL) – There was absolutely nothing separating the high quality of my two left-backs (him and Rasmussen), he got more minutes tho. Great signing.

3. Cidinho (AMC) – Took him quite a while to start showing his skills, but once he got going he became a key part of our attack, working remarkably well in-between the lines. Very fun player to watch in the game engine.

2. Remi Naert (ST) – Amazing breakthrough season from the kid, breaking the club’s goals in a season record with 17. Also just got called up to the main Belgium squad!

1. Jair Céspedes (ML) – If last year I picked him as player of the year for consistency throughout the season, this year he dominated attentions for 3 spectacular months. Completely blown away the previous record of assists per season, finishing with 20.

Match of the season

Westerlo 3-0 Juventus

It was either this or the 5-0 over Anderlecht, but come on. Surely the best result of my career so far.

Awards

Jupiler Pro League Best Average Rating of the Year – Jair Céspedes (1st)

Jupiler Pro League Most Assists – Jair Céspedes (2nd)

Jupiler Pro League Pro of the Year – Jair Céspedes (3rd)

Season Summary Mentions

Jupiler Pro League Signing of the Season - Remi Naert (0€) (1st)

Best Average Rating - Jair Céspedes

Career overview

[b] Season   Club (nation)     League (tier)                            Notes[/b]
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
11/12    Delémont (SWI)    Challenge League (2) - 1st               Promoted
12/13    Delémont (SWI)    Axpo Super League (1) - 9th              Swiss Cup semi-finalists
13/14    Westerlo (BEL)    Jupiler Pro League (1) - 8th / EP group  Belgian Cup semi-finalists
14/15    Westerlo (BEL)    Jupiler Pro League (1) - 3rd             Belgian Cup finalists 
15/16    Westerlo (BEL)    Jupiler Pro League (1) - 8th / EP final  Belgian Cup winner 

Job offers

CludioAlegriaNews_Inbox-1.jpg

I thought this one was almost an insult, smaller club than Westerlo...

CludioAlegriaNews_Inbox-2.jpg

However this one is tempting! Rapid Wien are a big club with some history, think I recall them reaching a Cup Winners Cup final? Finances-wise they're on par with us but the club's worth twice as much money. I have great foundations being slowly built here in Belgium though, am enjoying my time here and will probably stick around.

Job offer

CludioAlegriaNews_Inbox-3.jpg

Now this was an amazing offer. Dnipro are probably the biggest team in Ukraine behind Shakhtar and Dynamo Kyiv, and the wage budget was extraordinary. If I was looking into climbing the ladder of management blindly, I'd certainly have taken it. I think it'd be a very interesting challenge to try to unsettle the big 2 too. I really did consider this, but I'm building a long term project in Belgium and intend to remain here for a long time.

A detail that turned me away from Dnipro was that they've had a very underwhelming season and failed to qualify for Europe this season - the same applied to Rapid Wien. Dnipro also were a bit of a one-man team, brazilian international Giuliano pulling the strings from the midfield but paid like a prince too.

Rejected both offers. I feel more will come!

Pre-season: June/July 2016

westerlo_160.gif

Transfers (in)

Steven De Petter (DC / DM, MC) (free) – Very intelligent, hard-working defensive player who is homegrown, high quality and goes straight into the squad as the new captain.

Bernard Malanda (DR / DC, WBR) (240K€) – Another Belgian, this 21yo is hopefully good enough to be my first choice full-back already (I’m only a little dubious on his pace). Again, homegrown which is hugely useful.

Kilian Overmeire (DM) (free) – Yet another Belgian homegrown, squad player only tho, possibly 3rd choice DM. Given I use a 2 DMs tactic sometimes, he was necessary.

Filip Scrbec (ML / MR, AMC) (45K€) – Versatile winger, not particularly flashy but probably good enough to be a settled squad player. I use withdrawn wingers (MR / ML) and sometimes even on defensive winger role so needed a player like this, particularly with my main left-wing man Céspedes starting to lose pace.

Keko (AMR / MR) (free) – If Scrbec is a non-flashy hard-working man, Spanish Keko is the opposite, loads of pace, flair and dribbling and little else.

Logan Bailly (GK) (free) – Another Belgian homegrown, very good keeper who would be first choice if not for the slightly more awesome Silvio Proto being on the squad too.

José Carlos Larrosa (DC) (free) – Ready to fight for a first team place already at the age of 19, and with plenty of potential untapped.

Jorge Vera (DR) (free) – Another Uruguayan kid very similar to Larrosa but plays on the right.

Beyond these 1st team players, a few youngsters not ready for first team action were hired too, as usual: Tunisian centre-back Mohamed Sassi, Bulgarians Yulian Atanasov and Ayhan Kuzu (centre-back and centre-midfielder, respectively), Defensive midfielders David Ulloa and Dede Sanou (Argentinian and German), and Georgian left winger Beka Sharangia.

Also worth noting 18yo striker Jonas Andersen was promoted to the first team after a year out on loan to Utrecht, he seems more than ready so could make as much an impact as any big signing.

Transfers (out)

Two very big names were sold, this was because of highest earner clauses which bumped them up to ridiculous wages I couldn’t afford, and they were on the wrong side of the 30’s anyway. Right-back Cristian Villagra went for 1M€ back to Argentina to play for Unión, whereas star midfield man Tomás Costa after all was sold after the contract renewal and went to ADO Den Haag for a mere 325K€.

Tons of other players left. Aleksa Bajic, Juan Carlos Espinoza, Luis Perea, Cristián Guerra, Cédric Mingiedi, Miro Saarinen, Mohammed Bah and Guillaume Hubert were sold by money. Thabo Matlaba and Liliu loaned out to save wages. Youngster Denis Cardarelli released on a free. And 8 youngsters loaned out to get some playing experience. Total player sales money: 2M€.

This means the current bank account reads 3.7M€ in the black, and that is after the huge money invested in the new youth facilities was taken into account. Hopefully we’ll get some prize money from the Europa League too, but it’s all looking solid finances-wise.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fixtures

First some friendlies as usual. Then two big competitive matches already:

Supercoupe: Standard 1-1 Westerlo (3-4 p.k.) (Andersen)

A tense thriller, and then a trophy our way to kick off the season! We held on for ages whilst seriously threatening Standard on the counter until they scored in the 65th minute. That forced us to went for it and we genuinely pushed Standard back until youngster Jonas Andersen scored on his debut with 7 minutes to go.

No extra time so the game went straight to penalties, and there it was nerve-wrecking, they missed, we had an advantage but then blew it, then we missed one again and Hurtado had the chance to win the trophy for them but put it wide. By the 6th penalty Cidinho scored for us, then Milosevic missed and handed us the Supercoupe.

Jupiler Pro League: Club Brugge 0-3 Westerlo (Céspedes(2), De Petter)

Fantastic way to kick off the league, we were deadly in the counter and cynically screwed Brugge with nearly every chance we had.

Player of the month

Jair Céspedes (ML) – Who else? He seems to get better with age. Fantastic game against Brugge, scoring two.

Competitions

Supercoupe: Winners!

Jupiler Pro League: 1st on goal difference after the 1st fixture.

Cofidis Cup: Long way until we enter this.

Europa League: into the 4th qualifying round, we should know our opponents soon.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Summary

Superb start to the season with a trophy already (1st Supercoupe in the club's history) then a huge win away over a big team. I am very happy with the squad I’ve put together too, don’t think we’ll miss Villagra and Tomás Costa too much. I have a very good feeling about this season, our core bunch of kids is getting better and better at a fantastic rate.

August 2016

westerlo_160.gif

Transfers (out)

Defenders Jens Cools and Dalibor Maksimovic were loaned out for money as they had no place in the squad at the moment, a couple other youngsters went on loan too to get experience.

Fixtures

Jupiler Pro League: Westerlo 0-0 KV Mechelen

We tried all game long, but just couldn’t break past their deep flat 4-4-2 with 2 DMs.

Jupiler Pro League: KV Kortrijk 1-0 Westerlo

There goes the optimism, this was a pretty bad performance, we couldn’t contain Kortrijk neither cause much danger. Andersen did come off the bench to hit the bar twice though.

Europa League 4th Qual Round: Westerlo 1-0 IF Elfsborg (Céspedes)

Elfsborg was a very easy draw considering we could’ve got Chelsea or Inter, nevertheless I knew they could still be a challenge given our sudden dodgy form. Eventually Céspedes barged past a narrow sea of players and scored a narrow shot, but later on we lost Scrbec to injury (a bad, lengthy one) hence were reduced to 10 men and finished the game cornered in our own area, painfully surviving 2 shots to the woodwork.

Jupiler Pro League: Westerlo 4-0 OH Leuven (Andersen, Cidinho, Montero, Djidji)

It was all looking nice when Andersen finally broke the deadlock with a nice rotation and placed shot, but minutes later he assaulted an opponent with a horrible tackle, obviously getting a red card. Strangely the team wasn’t affected at all and we hammered them with 10 men.

Europa League 4th Qual Round: IF Elsborg 0-0 Westerlo

Boring game with no chances, but we showed some good passing moves, and ultimately did not concede and qualified for the groups which is what this trip to Sweden was all about.

Jupiler Pro League: Beerschot AC 1-2 Westerlo (Naert, Merebashvili)

Hugely frustrating because we had tons of chances but Remi Naert kept on squandering them, eventually he scored one of them and equalized, then late in the game we got the winner. Should’ve won by many more goals.

Player of the month

Kofi Djidji (DC) – Very good month from the Ivorian centre-back, not unsettled with the much tighter competition for a first team place this season. Got a goal vs Leuven.

Competitions

Jupiler Pro League:

JupilerProLeagueOverview_Stages-24.jpg

Cofidis Cup: Still no news yet.

Europa League: after the huge lucky break in getting Elfsborg, next up we’re facing Chelsea, Panathinaikos and Lazio in the group stage. I might as well not bother tiring my first team players in those games then. Could it be any tougher?

Summary

Dodgy month as we look very uncomfortable breaking past deep defences, the finishing has been very poor too apart from the Leuven game. Anyway we’ve scrapped through in the Europa League and gained 1M€ in the process which was very important, and the start in the domestic league has been much much better than last year’s disaster.

September 2016

westerlo_160.gif

Transfers (in)

Oleg Patotski (M/AMR / M/AMC) (free) – I was finding the performances of my new winger Keko dodgy, so when this man shown up it was a no-brainer to sign him, he’s slightly better in theory.

Fixtures

Jupiler Pro League: Westerlo 1-0 Tubize (Megateli(og))

Pretty bad to only score 1 past the worst team in the league, but at least it was

Europa League Group H: Westerlo 0-1 Lazio

Not exactly surprising, but we did not ashamed ourselves and did have a couple of chances.

Jupiler Pro League: Westerlo 6-1 Lokeren (Montero(3), Djidji, Holm, Keko)

Our former striker Tskipurishvili missed a penalty for Lokeren in the 4th minute, but we didn’t miss ours later in the 1st half and that opened up the gates for hordes of goals to flow in.

Jupiler Pro League: Westerlo 2-1 Standard (Naert, Ortiz)

Great win over the leaders. A boring game quickly turned into a memorable one when I watched Remi Naert score

. Standard quickly equalized but in the 2nd half the increasingly impressive teenage MC Geovanny Ortiz scored his first goal for the club and gave us the win.

Europa League Group H: Panathinaikos 3-1 Westerlo (De Petter)

We got to a great start by scoring in a set piece in the 6th minute, but very soon Djidji would get sent off and our former star Matias Abero equalized from the ensuing freekick. Later on they scored another two, but we had our chances too and squandered them.

Player of the month

Henrique Miranda (DL / ML) – Montero’s hat-trick vs Lokeren was great, so was Naert’s supergoal vs Standard, but the most consistent man has been Henrique, great performances barging up the field from the DL position in those two matches.

Competitions

Jupiler Pro League:

JupilerProLeagueOverview_Stages-25.jpg

Cofidis Cup: FC Brussels away are the first opponents.

Europa League:

UEFAEuropaLeagueOverview_Stages-4.jpg

Summary

Europe’s gone to hell albeit we’re not shaming ourselves, no surprise giving the incredibly difficult group. Domestic-wise it’s looking very bright, we’re on a roll here, 3 points behind with a game in hand is a great position to be in.

In other news, I’m constantly linked to jobs nowadays. In the summer I was linked to Zenit(!!), recently to Brazilian side Internacional, West Ham languishing in the Championship, Rubin Kazan, and Hertha. I’m not leaving, certainly not right now when things are starting to come together really nicely.

The extension to our youth facilities is nearly complete too, and the board have agreed to another expensive expansion, but to the training facilities. Our solid financial standing allows us to do this.

Good to see this season going better.
Good start to the season, but bad luck in getting such a hard EL group.

Thanks, the team is not ready to go far in Europe anyway so not a big deal, at least we got the 1M€ prize plus gate receipts from making the groups, all I've got to be careful now is not to let the inevitable defeats affect morale too much.

October 2016

westerlo_160.gif

Transfers (in)

Pablo Ceppelini (AMC / MC, AMR) – Another player I couldn’t pass on once he was brought to my attention by his agent. Very talented creative force.

Fixtures

Jupiler Pro League: Westerlo 0-0 Anderlecht

Shows our progress that we were the bookies favourites for this game, I still felt more comfortable playing very defensively, and despite it dominated the game, we were very unlucky not to have won it. The Anderlecht manager was sacked right after the game and I was linked to the job…

Europa League Group H: Chelsea 3-1 Westerlo (Henrique Miranda)

Not a pleasing trip to England as our parent club tore us apart with 3 first half goals, Henrique did still get one for us in injury time.

Jupiler Pro League: Antwerp 1-1 Westerlo (Montero)

The sort of game we should not be losing points in, if we’re to build on this early season form and have a proper go at fighting for the title.

Cofidis Cup 6th Rnd: FC Brussels 0-2 Westerlo (Merebahsvili, Andersen)

I picked a side of backups and youngsters, and it was enough.

Jupiler Pro League: Sint-Truiden 0-0 Westerlo

A game dominated by set pieces, we had plenty of chances in them and failed to profit on it. Both keepers had great games.

Player of the month

Henrique Miranda (ML / DL) – Still the best player at the moment, got a goal vs Chelsea and an assist vs Antwerp, I’m playing him more on left midfielder now as Céspedes is injured.

Competitions

Jupiler Pro League:

JupilerProLeagueOverview_Stages-26.jpg

Cofidis Cup: Antwerp away in the last 16, then if we go through it’s Charleroi or Standard (hopefully the former).

Europa League:

UEFAEuropaLeagueOverview_Stages-5.jpg

Summary

Bad month as we only get 3 points from 3 league matches, nevertheless we’re still up there with the lead pack with 2 games in hand. The Europa League matches certainly aren’t helping, neither is our dreadful finishing. The problem isn't creating chances, it's putting them in...

November 2016

westerlo_160.gif

Fixtures

Europa League Group H: Westerlo 2-1 Chelsea (Cidinho(2))

Absolutely extraordinary, even if very lucky. We scored with our only 2 shots of the match and defended superbly to get a memorable victory.

Jupiler Pro League: Westerlo 1-0 Mons (Cidinho)

Big win as Mons are surprisingly up there in the table. We scored early so I immediately set out to defend the lead, it nearly backfired later but we kept the clean sheet.

Cofidis Cup 7th Rnd: Antwerp 2-3 Westerlo (a.e.t.) (Cidinho, Naert, Henrique Miranda)

Hugely frustrating to drop a lead twice, but later in extra time we got the winning goal. Into the quarter finals now.

Jupiler Pro League: Westerlo 3-0 Club Brugge (Bernardo, De Petter, Naert)

We were as solid as ever defensively, then added to it attacking power as we started scoring our chances in the 2nd half. Very big win over another title/CL place rivals.

Jupiler Pro League: Zulte Waregem 2-4 Westerlo (Djidji(2), Ceppelini, Naert)

Unusually wild, open game which went from 0-1 to 2-1 to 2-4. What matters is we got the 3 points.

Jupiler Pro League: KV Mechelen 0-3 Westerlo (De Petter, Naert, Patotski)

Job done in style with 3 first half goals.

Player of the month

Cidinho (AMC / MC) – It could’ve been Remi Naert who finally rediscovered he could score goals and did so in the last 4 matches, but the Brazilian playmaker scored in 3 consecutive ones too, including a brace against Chelsea! Unfortunately he’s got injured vs Waregem and will stop for a while.

Competitions

Jupiler Pro League:

JupilerProLeagueOverview_Stages-27.jpg

Cofidis Cup: Next are Standard over two legs in the quarter-finals.

Europa League:

UEFAEuropaLeagueOverview_Stages-6.jpg

Summary

Fantastic month with 6 wins from 6 matches, including a lucky one over the mighty Chelsea, and worthy wins over top half rivals Club Brugge and Mons, too. We’re emerging as the main challengers to Standard’s title bid, it’s all so much brighter than last season’s disaster. Disregard last season and it’s a steady slow climb up the league throughout my reign, don’t forget 2 years ago we held an outside shot at the title up until 3 or 4 fixtures from the end, and just lost out on a CL spot for the 2nd place too.

Thanks. I'm aiming at 2nd place, would be the club's best ever league result (beating the record of 3rd we set 2 years ago) and awards a Champions League spot albeit in the qualifying rounds. Standard are still a little too competitive for us over a season but I intend to make things hard for them at the top of the table indeed.

December 2016

westerlo_160.gif

Transfers (in)

Tarek Dridi (M/AML) (free) – I had agreed to this one a long time ago, and not sure whether I’d have signed him now, he has some potential but it’s getting late for him to reach it.

Fixtures

Europa League Group H: Lazio 0-2 Westerlo (De Petter, Malanda)

Wait, what? Lazio did have one or two glaring chances in the first half but other than that were utterly harmless. We scored a very scrappy one in a corner just before half time, then early into the 2nd half I thought we were doomed as Djidji got himself sent off for a professional foul. Instead, we defended just as well with 10 men and right-back Malanda even went all the way up there to finish a team move in the area to make it 2-0. Unfortunately Chelsea won their game and we’re out of the competition.

Lazio are weird, they had a rubbish Argentinian striker upfront and a 35 year old Zlatan Ibrahimovic playing behind him as AMC.

Jupiler Pro League: Westerlo 2-0 KV Kortrijk (Larrosa, De Petter)

A corner and a penalty kick is an ugly way to win a game, but I don’t really care. We earned it anyway.

Jupiler Pro League: Westerlo 1-1 AA Gent (Keko)

We sliced through the middle of Gent’s 2 banks of 4 over and over again, but only bagged one, then to my dismay keeper Proto made a total mess of a backpass and it ended in a Henrique Miranda owngoal. We should’ve won this by loads.

Jupiler Pro League: OH Leuven 0-2 Westerlo (Montero, Malanda)

Decent routine win, nothing wildly spectacular.

Europa League Group H: Westerlo 0-3 Panathinaikos

Knowing it was a dead rubber and that a few days later we had a big match vs Standard, I rested players. It turned out to be a morale killer as my former player Matias Abero had a fabulous game and scored twice. Poor way to finish our European campaign.

Cofidis Cup 1/4Final 1st Leg: Westerlo 4-1 Standard (Ortiz, Naert(3))

Wow. Awesome win over our title rivals which pretty much settles the cup tie, albeit I didn’t like the injury time away goal we conceded. Naert had a superb day. I wish this game was for the league.

Jupiler Pro League: Westerlo 1-0 Zulte Waregem (Jovicic(og))

Geovanny Ortiz seems to suddenly have developed awesome free kick skills, and this time it bounced into the keepers’ back to give us the win.

Player of the month

Geovanny Ortiz (MC) – It was a weird month in terms of player performances, loads of guys impressing but not regularly, Uruguayan playmaker Ceppelini had 2 brilliant games then disappeared, Remi Naert had an astonishing game vs Standard but was poor otherwise, Montero did great vs Leuven, winger Patotski is coming good on the right. But it’s the teenager Colombian midfielder who I have to pick, I’ve no doubt he’s well on his way to becoming a worldwide superstar.

Best thing I did was to sell Tomás Costa to open up a space for him on the team.

Competitions

Jupiler Pro League:

JupilerProLeagueOverview_Stages-28.jpg

Cofidis Cup: 4-1 over Standard into the 2nd leg of the quarter-finals.

Europa League:

UEFAEuropaLeagueOverview_Stages-7.jpg

Summary

Another great month, on the league front we’re settling ourselves clearly as the only team Standard should fear, and with the 2 games in hand we could be top of the table if we win them. The title clearly will only be settled in the mini-league at the end of the season, however. Europe went to hell as expected, but the Lazio win was again hugely encouraging even if it ended with a shocker vs Panathinaikos, and in the cup it’s all looking wonderful, perhaps we’re on our way to retaining the trophy?

Great win over Lazio, shame it was too late.
Great results indeed! How has Montero been doing this season.

Thanks. Montero's actually been doing really good in the odd few appearances, I think he has 6 goals in 9 starts or something like that. I'm not using him much because I feel Remi Naert's skills fit my style of play much better as he's much quicker and a much better dribbler which helps as a lone isolated striker in a counter-attacking system. But he's clearly finding the net a lot more often than Naert and I'm considering giving him more playing time.

Have you had any decent loans from Chelsea?

I don't think the AI is smart enough to use the loans, sadly.

Funny you would mention that because they just sent me a player. Chelsea seem to send us about one player per season but it's always in January. In the Summer I try to loan players and they won't let me, 5 months later they send me those players out of their own initiative.. it's frustrating.

• 2 weeks later...

January 2017

westerlo_160.gif

Transfers (in)

Christoffer Lund (MR / AMR) (loan) – We didn’t need another winger at all but Chelsea sent him our way, he’s decent, hugely promising and costs nothing in wages so why not.

Merveille Goblet (GK) (40K€) – Homegrown keeper for the bench.

Transfers (out)

Usual bench midfielders Giorgi Merebashivili and Filip Scrbec were sold by 95K€ and 45K€ respectively, then I was delighted to send the hugely problematic keeper Logan Bailly to Danish side Silkeborg for 525K€ because the little f*cker showed up for training only once in a while then had the nerve to complain his fines were unfair. F*ck off and never come back.

Fixtures

Jupiler Pro League: Genk 6-3 Westerlo (Céspedes, Tshimanga(og), Keko)

Oh dear, bizarre game and a very heavy defeat, we nearly conceded as many in this as in all the previous league games before it. I made a very bad tactical mistake by not lining up in our most defensive form, and with 3 very quick goals before half-time we found ourselves losing 3-0. However, my players were woken up by my harsh team talk and quickly scored 3 too, remarkably tying the game again. A period of tension ensued only for a Djidji owngoal a little later to open up the road for another 2 quick successive Genk goals.

Jupiler Pro League: Westerlo 2-1 Beerschot AC (Naert, Patotski)

We were not in a very inspired day and let them catch up with the equalizer after going 1-0 up, then Naert got injured after we had made all subs and we ended with a strikerless formation needing a goal. Surprisingly, Patotski did score one and we won.

Jupiler Pro League: Tubize 1-1 Westerlo (Patotski)

We were into injury time losing away at the league’s last placed team, when Patotski again gave us points with a late goal. Very bad result but at least 1 point is better than 0.

Jupiler Pro League: Lokeren 0-1 Westerlo (Djidji)

Again not one of our most inspired performances ever, but we scored in a corner and did overall deserve the win. With Standard having some poor results lately, we overtake them into the league table lead!

Cofidis Cup 1/4Final 2nd Leg: Standard 3-0 Westerlo

Oh ffs. We headed into this game with 3 goals advantage and held on to the 0-0 into half time, after missing a penalty kick. In the second half we missed another sitter whereas Standard scored twice. They needed a 3rd goal and it looked like we were going to just get away with it when in the final minute of injury time my former forward Cris Martínez scored the winner for them looking suspiciously offside. We’re out of the cup and it’s a terrible rehearsal for the league game vs Standard again 3 days later.

Jupiler Pro League: Standard 1-0 Westerlo

This was worse than the cup game. We made two shots all game long… They win the table lead back again.

Jupiler Pro League: Westerlo 1-2 Genk (Caballero)

We conceded right after kick off and another one 20 minutes later, Genk’s first two half-chances. We’d dominate the remainder of the game but only got one already in the 90th minute and that wasn’t good enough.

Player of the month

Henrique Miranda (DL) – Again the most consistent player in a month where few excelled.

Competitions

Jupiler Pro League:

JupilerProLeagueOverview_Stages-29.jpg

Cofidis Cup: Knocked out by Standard in the quarter-finals, in spectacular fashion after dropping a 3 goal lead from the 1st leg.

Summary

Astonishing, huge choke in the cup, in the league we briefly flirted with the table lead but then crashed too, let Standard run away and allowed Genk to get into the mix. Definitely January wasn’t one of our finest moments.

February 2017

westerlo_160.gif

Fixtures

Jupiler Pro League: Anderlecht 1-1 Westerlo (Cidinho)

We so nearly got away with one of our typical big game big performances, where we sit back and restrict the opponents to nothing, then score on the break. But they equalised very late in the game. Unfortunately Geovanny Ortiz got injured badly, 3 months stoppage for the hugely talented teenager.

Jupiler Pro League: Westerlo 3-0 Antwerp (Caballero, Cidinho, Patotski)

Probably the most dominant I’ve ever seen my team play, we had all the possession and spent all game in the final third of the pitch. Fantastic!

Jupiler Pro League: AA Gent 0-3 Westerlo (Montero, Keita(og), Cidinho)

Another great performance, perhaps slightly less dominant but equally spectacular and effective.

Jupiler Pro League: Westerlo 2-1 Sint-Truiden (Naert(2))

Remi Naert saved us with a tremendous performance straight back from injury, from the bench, in an unexpectedly difficult match. We were down to 10 after Cidinho got injured yet Remi still got us the winner, only 3 minutes before the final whistle.

Player of the month

Cidinho (AMC, MC) – 3 goals in 4 matches from the ever impressive Brazilian playmaker, unfortunately will now stop for roughly a month and a half.

Competitions

Jupiler Pro League:

JupilerProLeagueOverview_Stages-30.jpg

Summary

The regular season is about to close and we’re in an excellent position to fight for the title in the final mini-league. This was an absolutely inspired month with some tactical breakthroughs (back to AML/AMRs instead of ML/MRs, but given tight man marking to make sure they track back the opposition winger; team no longer told to play down the flanks allowing us to profit more from an inspired midfield pairing of Ceppellini/Cidinho), and the atmosphere around the team is far more positive now.

Archived