[FM12] The complete world encyclopedia of insults shouted at virtual football players

noikeee

Good night ladies and gentlemen, welcome to my first venture into FM12 as I'm literally yet to do a single match - just bought it last Friday and hadn't touched not even the demo before. The interface doesn't look as daunting as you all made it to be, as I've figured out how to browse players and teams by now.

After being used to the heights of fame and fortune through the last few seasons of my FM11 adventure, it's time to go back to earth and start from the bottom again, almost certainly I'll despair at how rubbish my new players are compared to the likes of Bagayoko and Duval. However I do not have a clear concept of where I want to go with this career, it's meant to be some sort of journeyman but if I fancy a club I'm free to stick there for 10 seasons if it happens. I don't have any preset tactical ideas I want to implement neither, this time. I'm approaching this with an open mind. Format-wise I'm going to try monthly updates for a while, taking some hints from other careers around, and start from there.

I am starting unemployed, automatic experience, an insane amount of leagues loaded (think I got carried around there). Already found myself a club and I will expand on it soon.

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SPOILERS - SKIP THIS POST IF YOU DON'T WANT TO READ A SUMMARY OF CAREER ACHIEVEMENTS

Trophy cabinet

Lower league

* Challenge League champion 2012 (Delémont)

* Promotion from Challenge League 2012 (Delémont)

Domestic cups

* Cofidis Cup winner 2016, 2018 (Westerlo), runner-up 2015 (Westerlo)

* TIM Cup winner 2019, 2020 (Torino)

* Copa del Rey winner 2021, 2022 (Real Madrid)

* FA Cup runner-up 2023 (Tottenham)

* KNVB Beker winner 2025, 2027, 2028 (Ajax)

Domestic supercups

* Supercoupe de Belgique winner 2016 (Westerlo)

* Supercoppa di Lega TIM runner-up 2019 (Torino)

* Supercopa de España winner 2021 (Real Madrid)

* Johann Cruijff Schaal winner 2025, 2026, 2027, 2028 (Ajax)

Domestic leagues

* Jupiler Pro League champion 2018 (Westerlo)

* Serie A runner-up 2019, 2020 (Torino)

* Liga BBVA champion 2021, 2022 (Real Madrid)

* Premier League champion 2024 (Tottenham), runner-up 2023 (Tottenham)

* Eredivisie champion 2025, 2026, 2027, 2028 (Ajax)

International club competitions

* UEFA Europa League winner 2021 (Real Madrid)

* UEFA Super Cup runner-up 2021 (Real Madrid)

* UEFA Champions League winner 2022 (Real Madrid)

National team competitions

* none

Career progress/summary table - club

[b]Season   Club (nation)     League (tier)                            Notes[/b]
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
11/12    Delémont (SWI)    Challenge League (2) - 1st               Promoted
12/13    Delémont (SWI)    Axpo Super League (1) - 9th       
13/14    Westerlo (BEL)    Jupiler Pro League (1) - 8th / EP group  
14/15    Westerlo (BEL)    Jupiler Pro League (1) - 3rd             Belgian Cup finalists 
15/16    Westerlo (BEL)    Jupiler Pro League (1) - 8th / EP final  Belgian Cup winners
16/17    Westerlo (BEL)    Jupiler Pro League (1) - 3rd             Belgian Supercup winners
17/18    Westerlo (BEL)    Jupiler Pro League (1) - 1st             Champions + Belgian Cup winners
18/19    Torino (ITA)      Serie A (1) - 2nd                        Runner-ups + Italian Cup winners 
19/20    Torino (ITA)      Serie A (1) - 2nd                        Runner-ups + Italian Cup winners 
20/21    Real Madrid (SPA) La Liga (1) - 1st                        Champions + Spanish Cup winners +
                                                                   Europa League winners
21/22    Real Madrid (SPA) La Liga (1) - 1st                        Champions + Spanish Cup winners +
                                                                   Champions League winners + Spanish SC
22/23    Tottenham (ENG)   Premier League (1) - 2nd                 Runner-ups + FA Cup finalists 
23/24    Tottenham (ENG)   Premier League (1) - 1st                 Champions 
24/25    Ajax (HOL)        Eredivisie (1) - 1st                     Champions + Dutch Cup winners + Dutch SC 
25/26    Ajax (HOL)        Eredivisie (1) - 1st                     Champions + Dutch SC 
26/27    Ajax (HOL)        Eredivisie (1) - 1st                     Champions + Dutch Cup winners + Dutch SC  
27/28    Ajax (HOL)        Eredivisie (1) - 1st                     Champions + Dutch Cup winners + Dutch SC  

Career progress/summary table - international

[b]Years    Nation     Competition            Performance             Notes[/b]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
21-24    Turkey     Euro 2024 qualifiers   1st                     Qualified
                   Euro 2024              2nd round 

(END OF SPOILERS)

Delémont - 6th of July, 2011

SRDelemont.png

Look at this, it's got a running track! A HUGE running track! I'm going to have to exert some proper pressure on my vocal chords to get those insults through to the field!

blancherie.jpg

I am baffled at how in demand a football manager with no experience whatsoever is these days. I got plenty of offers from many corners in the world. To be honest I could've started lower than in the swiss second tier, the Challenge League with SR Delémont. They've got some fairly handy players already, and it's a professional club. I had loaded stuff like the full scottish or swedish ladder so definitely expected a shittier job to start with. I did have one offer from a 4th tier swedish side but they were mid-season, and leading their league, so it didn't feel right to go there and receive the plaudits for a job already done. Other options were Ukraine were some random club had youngsters valued like 500K€+ already; Brazil to manage Santo André who are way too big and known a club to start with; and Mexico to some club loaded with cash but somehow in the 2nd tier. I've never managed in Switzerland and this looks like a good place as any to start.

DelmontOverview_Profile.jpg

Now who are Delémont? I only know more than you because I've read the Wikipedia artice. They're a yo-yo club in the french-speaking part of Switzerland who has got promoted and relegated through the last decade more times than I can count. They've briefly been in the top tier but were rubbish, and briefly flirted with the 3rd tier too, which is unplayable in FM. It's not entirely unlikely I may make them fall into there too, because the club is predicted 9th by the media in this 16-team league, and the bottom SIX sides go down. Now that's going to make for an epic relegation battle. Thankfully we already have some talents in our squad to help us escape it, albeit the squad is hilariously unbalanced:

SRDelmontSquad_Players.jpg

Likely key players:

Johnny Szlykowicz (AMC) - Wow, that is a much much better player than I'd ever expected to find at this level. The undeniable star of this side. I'm just pissed his name is so unpronounceable because I may have to write it often.

Mickaël Rodriguez (ST) - Recent history tells me he's scored 18, 19 and 22 goals in the last 3 seasons for the club. I believe it, he looks handy.

Luca Ferro (GK) - Not sure how he'll get on with all the frenchies in the side but that looks a decent goalie.

Finances and transfers

52K€ in the bank, they give me 32K€ for transfers, and a monthly wage budget of 64K€ (61.5K€ of it used), which is huge and I can't quite figure out why, where on earth is the money going to come from to pay this lot. I need to bring in lots of players for many positions and this may mean having to sell someone to fund it.

A positive thing about this league is that the only foreign players restriction is a maximum of 10 Non-EU players. That's a HUGE freedom compared to most nations I've managed in...

Goals for this season

I have no idea. Avoid relegation, yes surely. Better than the media prediction of 9th would be good.

That .gif is freaking me out, has so few frames it makes it look like my computer is freezing.

Good luck in Switzerland,looks like you have some decent talent in the side.Hope you can do well during the season :thup:

Tks.

Good luck, mister noike. :)

Hello mate. You should start posting, it's great english practice. :thup: You wouldn't believe how bad my english when I started posting in international forums about 11 years ago!

Johnny looks immense for that level! Good luck with the season.

Tks, not sure I can get the best out of him but let's see.

Host marathons and that'll protect the players from pitch invasions.

Half the pictures I could find of the stadium involved some kind of athletics so it seems like the running track is being used.

Looks like a good place to start as any. Good luck! :)

Tks, enjoying it so far.

July 2011

Delemont.png

Transfers (in)

Ermin Alic (ML / MC, AML) (free) – I was desperate for wingers and found it hard to hire decent ones, at least he has some potential.

Stefan Jarosch (DR / DL, WB/MR) (free) – Very pleased with this signing, excellent attacking full-back.

Radek Spilacek (DM / DC) (free) – I sort of regret hiring him already because of the huge wage, but definitely one of our best players now.

Pape Sarr (DM / MC) (free) – Another very good player meaning that with Spilacek + Sirufo that’s one quality DM too many.

Gustavo Pinedo (AMR / MR) (1K€) – A better signing than Alic on the other wing but I’m not fully convinced, has serious problems with teamwork, composure and stamina.

Transfers (out)

Josip Budimir (free), Muharrem Xhaqku (14K€), Sofian Allali (5K€).

Fixtures

Friendly: Aalst 0-2 Delémont (Macio, Baudry)

We had a friendly in my very first day at the job. Set up a 4-2-3-1 based on my FM11 Roma formation, told the assman to choose the players, and off we go. I was quite surprised that it worked!

Friendly: Delémont 1-4 Clermont (Chappuis)

Or maybe things aren’t going to be that easy. We fell apart in the second half.

Friendly: Delémont 4-0 Blue Stars (Rodriguez, Baudry(3))

Just the routine friendly against terrible opposition to boost morale. I already had some of my signings by this point, but it was the 38 year-old winger Baudry who somehow bagged an hat-trick.

Challenge League: Kriens 1-2 Delémont (Ochs, Rodriguez)

An away win made for a great way to kick off our league campaign. Kriens nearly engineered a comeback from 2-0 down but we held on.

Challenge League: Delémont 1-0 Lugano (Szlykowicz)

Ermin Alic did miss a penalty early on, but I think we were quite lucky to come out of this with a win against tough opposition. Our star Johnny finally used his talent by scoring the winner, even if it was just a tap-in.

Competitions

Challenge League: 2nd, 6 points from 2 matches.

Schweizer Cup: yet to be drawn.

Summary

2 wins out of 2 is a nice way to start, albeit I felt we were unconvincing in both matches. Not happy with the squad yet as my tactics rely a lot on wingers and we’re very bad in that department – besides I went mad with wages and am now way over the wage budget already.

August 2011

Delemont.png

Transfers (in)

Berat Djimsti (DC) (loan) – Very promising 18 yo. centre-back pretty good for this level already.

Abdul Ganiyu Iddi (AML / ML) (free) – Another winger as I strive to improve this weakened area of the squad.

Domnik Stadlbauer (DR / MR) (5K€ loan) – Maybe an unnecessary signing but I had no backup DR at this point.

Dylan Duventru (AML) (free) – I would have skipped the siging of Ganiyu Iddi (or Alic) had I found him earlier, he’s our better winger now.

Sebastião Nogueira (AMR / MR) (free) – New alternative to Pinedo on the right, my staff don’t rate him as high but I think he’s a clever, more balanced player.

Kewullay Conteh (DRC) (free) – I was having some serious issues with aerial balls so needed another tall centre-back, he can do the right-back position too.

Jonathan Jaubert (GK) (free) – I didn’t have a 3rd keeper and this youngster is packed with potential.

Transfers (out)

Gianluca Gabriele (free), Kevin Eigenmann (free), Francis Sarret (free), Olivier Baudry (free)

The first 3 were in expensive contract terminations (they were rubbish and I needed to free up wage budget), veteran Baurdy was sold for no fee to a French side.

Fixtures

Challenge League: Etoile-Carouge 0-4 Delémont (Szlykowicz(2), Rodriguez (2))

WOW! Johnny and Mickael are suddenly getting on brilliantly and assisted each other, then bagged another goal each. Great result.

Challenge League: Delémont 0-2 Wil

I didn’t expect this, there goes all the momentum. Utterly terrible performance.

Challenge League: Locarno 5-1 Delémont (Baudry)

A wildly exaggerated result, but a total disaster nonetheless.

Challenge League: Delémont 3-0 Chiasso (Szlykowicz, Rodriguez (2))

And suddenly it’s as if nothing had happened, our 2 stars playing to their best on an emphatic win. Good game from new signing Duventru too.

Challenge League: Delémont 1-0 St. Gallen (Szlykowicz)

An excellent gritty performance and win over the leaders and best side in the league.

Player of the Month

JohnnySzlykowiczOverview_Attributes-1.jpg

Coin flip between him and striker Mickael Rodriguez as both have been on magnificent form with 4 goals and 2 assists each this month.

Competitions

Challenge League:

ChallengeLeagueOverview_Stages.jpg

Schweizer Cup: First round is away against lower league side Menzo Reinach next month.

Summary

A bizarre month where we were both excellent and dreadful, nothing in-between. Thankfully our poor moments did not make us miss the train at the top and we’re fighting for the early lead of the table.

Finances-wise I’m following a very bold risky strategy as I’m way over the wage budget and have spent some considerable chunks of money on contract terminations. 347K€ on the red.

Squad

With the transfer deadline now over (albeit we can still sign players from swiss sides for a couple weeks), here’s our full squad for the 2011/2012 season:

SRDelmontSquad_Players-1.jpg

SRDelmontSquad_Players-2.jpg

As I like it: oversized and overpaid for our means.

September 2011

Delemont.png

Transfers (in)

Venn Touré (DM / MC) (free) – I wasn’t intending to hire more players with the wages being so high already, but with Spilacek being given a leave of absence, and now firmly playing regularly a 2 DM formation, I really needed a 3rd available DM in the squad.

Transfers (out)

Jules Hamidou (1K€) – I had about 6 players in the pecking order ahead of him, that’s more wages saved.

Fixtures

Challenge League: Winterthur 2-0 Delémont

An uninspired performance in a difficult field facing early season promotion rivals.

Schweizer Cup: Menzo Reinach 1-3 Delémont (Duventru, Bouziane, Rodriguez)

The expected straight-forward win over very poor lower league opposition.

Challenge League: Wohlen 2-3 Delémont (Bouziane, Pinedo, Germann)

We should’ve won this by a bigger margin, nice to see a confident performance away from home.

Player of the Month

DylanDuventruOverview_Attributes-1.jpg

Man of the match against both Menzo Reinach and Wohlen, quite clearly so far my best signing.

Competitions

Challenge League:

ChallengeLeagueOverview_Stages-1.jpg

Schweizer Cup: Second round opponents are FC Luzern, which isn’t good news as they’re a Super League side. At least the match is at home, next month.

Summary

A short month in terms of fixtures, but one that spawned a tough test as midfield star Johnny Szlykowicz injured himself in training and the expected stoppage is between 2 and 3 months. Thankfully Bouziane has filled his shoes nicely with 2 goals in his first 2 matches but let’s see if there’s not an impact in the team’s performance in the coming challenges.

October 2011

Delemont.png

Fixtures

Challenge League: Delémont 3–2 Stade Nyonnais (Duventru, Djimsiti, Macio)

Action-packed, close game, but we scrap an important win over upper midfield challengers – and take the table lead as St. Gallen lose points.

Schweizer Cup: Delémont 2–1 FC Luzern (Pinedo, Djimsiti)

Awesome result! We pulled an excellent deserved win over a Super League side, albeit they had a man sent off midway through the 2nd half, but we also had 2 men injured after having made all 3 subs, and came back from an equalizer to make it 2-1 late on, in a corner. Unfortunately Gustavo Pinedo’s injury will stop him for 4 to 5 weeks.

Challenge League: Delémont 2–0 Aarau (Bouziane, Rodriguez)

5 shots, 3 clear cut chances, 2 goals. That’s what I call an efficient performance.

Challenge League: Brühl 0-2 Delémont (Djimsiti(2))

Better the result than the performance tbh, we should’ve been more convincing against the worst side in the league.

Player of the Month

BeratDjimsitiOverview_Attributes-1.jpg

4 goals in 4 matches this month, superb attacking performance from my teenage centre-back. I swear I don’t use any dodgy corner routines, he’s just been inspired.

Competitions

Challenge League:

ChallengeLeagueOverview_Stages-2.jpg

Schweizer Cup: Very pleased to have beaten a top tier side, next up is fellow Challenge League side Aarau, at home, in the third round (round of 16).

Summary

Excellent month as the team hits a peak of form, grabs the lead at the top then consolidates it, now with a 3 point gap. Fantastic result in the cup too. I feel we’ve been flattered by the calendar though, that was 3 home matches and a away game against the poorest side in the league. On the other hand, we haven’t felt the absence of our best player Johnny at all which is greatly encouraging.

November 2011

Delemont.png

Fixtures

Challenge League: Delémont 1-1 Bienne (Rodriguez)

Disappointing result against poor opposition, we were uninspired and even conceded an equalizer against 10 men.

Challenge League: Bellinzona 1-1 Delémont (Conteh)

The opposition were the better side here, albeit we could’ve won after leading during most of the match. Winterthur overtook us in the table, and we drop to 2nd.

Schweizer Cup: Delémont 3–0 Aarau (Rodriguez (2), Duventru)

A far far better performance this time, Rodriguez and Duventru both had excellent games and we’re through to the quarter-finals.

Player of the Month

MickalRodriguezOverview_Attributes-1.jpg

A brace against Aarau including an excellent solo goal, and another goal against Bienne make him a clear choice in a month where not many players were inspired.

Competitions

Challenge League:

ChallengeLeagueOverview_Stages-3.jpg

Schweizer Cup: Quarter-finals opponents are Zurich at home, next February. They’re a top tier side but penultimate in the table, we have an outside chance I think.

Summary

Bit of a form blip here and we lose the table lead, but we’re still firmly in the mix upfront as things are shaping up for a three-way fight between us, Winterthur and St. Gallen. Nice to keep the cup run going, nice outside chance of reaching the semi-finals here which would be a quality achievement.

In terms of finances I’m starting to get seriously worried, we’re now a very alarming 800K€ in the red and I may have to sell someone, possibly young centre-back Jimmy Kollar who has potential but is poor in the air and has been moaning about not getting any games.

Looking good so far although it is very close in the league.Hope you can have a good cup run as well :thup:
So far so good, keep up the good work. :thup:
That's a very big drop zone. Look to be going the other way though.

Thanks folks, it is indeed starting well and I'm surprised by it, albeit I'm sort of buying success with the large wages I'm paying putting the club in dangerous debt.

December 2011

Delemont.png

Fixtures

Challenge League: Delémont 8-1 Vaduz (Rodriguez (3), Duventru (2), Szlykowicz, Djimsiti, Bouziane)

Wow. An amazing performance as we steamrolled past Liechenstein’s most famous side with by far the season’s best match so far – it’s going to be difficult to top this.

Challenge League: Delémont 3-0 Kriens (Rodriguez, Touré, Nogueira)

Another very good game, we are on a high here. Unbeaten for 8 games now.

Friendly: Delémont 1-4 Basel (Hulmann)

The first in a series of home friendlies against bigger sides, in an effort to keep match fitness and get some revenue from attendances during the winter break. More games like this and our confidence may be ruined though.

Friendly: Delémont 2-1 Sion (Germann, Szlykowicz)

Results are unimportant in these matches but always nice to beat a side from an higher level.

Player of the Month

MickalRodriguezOverview_Attributes-2.jpg

Keeping up with his impressively consistent stream of goals, this time got this season’s first hat-trick in official matches for Delémont, then scored again versus Kriens. Is now the top scorer in the league.

Competitions

Challenge League:

ChallengeLeagueOverview_Stages-2-1.jpg

Schweizer Cup: Still waiting for the quarter-finals match next February.

Summary

Short month as we enter the winter break and past the halfway mark of 15 league fixtures, but those were 2 superb performances and results, even if we’re in the same situation we were in before in the table. Next up, no competitive fixtures in January as it’s the winter break.

January 2012

Delemont.png

Fixtures

Friendly: Delémont 0-2 Young Boys

Didn’t even bother to pick the side, telling the assman to do it, and then simming the game at full speed. It didn’t go well.

Friendly: Delémont 3-1 Brühl (Szlykowicz, Rodriguez, Bouziane)

More of the same, better result.

Friendly: Delémont 4-2 Servette FC (Rodriguez(3), Ochs)

It’s always pleasing to beat a team from the Super League even if for peanuts.

Friendly: Delémont 6-0 Black Stars Basel (Rodriguez(2), Pinedo, Duventru, Jarosch(2))

The obligatory confidence boosting training exercise. Bizarre brace from right-back Jarosch as he converted two penalties.

Challenge League: Stopped for the winter break.

Schweizer Cup: Stopped for the winter break.

Summary

Most definitely a very boring month, the winter break sucks. I tried to sell players to stabilize the finances, but nobody wants them for a decent price so I’m not bothering. Now already 1.1M€ in debt, ouch.

Looks like your doing really well so far and some good players in their. Best of luck for the rest of the season!
It all seems very easy for you so far. Keep it up! :)
Doing very well so far,hope you can continue through the season with sort of form.

Thanks, I'm surprised it has gone this well, the barely changed tactics engine from FM11 has helped me. I'm sort of worried that if we don't get promotion this season the club may collapse financially though.

February 2012

Delemont.png

Fixtures

Schweizer Cup: Delémont 0-2 Zürich

Dream over, that’s the end of the cup run. We were pretty poor in the first half, got far better in the second but not enough to score.

Friendly: WAC - St. Andrä 1-2 Delémont (Macio, Touré)

Yet another friendly, this time a successful trip to neighbor Austria.

Friendly: Delémont 3-0 Pleigne (Szlykowicz, Duventru, Djimsiti)

The final friendly, another usual confidence booster.

Challenge League: Lugano 1-1 Delémont (Conteh)

Dullest match I’ve ever seen in FM, I’m amazed somehow there were two goals. There were only 2 shots the whole of the first half! We lost further ground to Winterthur at the top of the table.

Challenge League: Delémont 3-1 Etoile-Carouge (Steinmann, Duventru, Szlykowicz)

Could’ve been a total disaster as we found ourselves losing at home and being comprehensively outplayed by the league’s worst team, but we ultimately pulled through.

Player of the Month

DylanDuventruOverview_Attributes-2.jpg

Man of the match and scorer against Etoile-Carouge.

Competitions

Challenge League:

ChallengeLeagueOverview_Stages-5.jpg

Schweizer Cup: Knocked out in the quarter-finals by Zurich.

Summary

Things got started again, first with the disappointment of the cup defeat, and losing ground to the leaders in the table, but given that Lugano are one of the best sides in the league it was alright to get a point away. Most importantly, the board injected a mammoth 625K€ into the club’s finances so the accounts look a lot… less bad.

March 2012

Delemont.png

Transfers (in)

Matthew Edile (DL/WBL) (free) – I had to stretch my already stretched wage budget even further, and left-back wasn’t one of my biggest priorities, but an excellent signing who will greatly boost the team filling in for the currently injured Patrick Ochs.

Fixtures

Challenge League: Delémont 1-3 Locarno (Germann)

Ouch, terrible game and result. We can’t afford matches like this if we want to go up.

Challenge League: Chiasso 2-1 Delémont (Rodriguez)

This month really isn’t going well, the morale has gone down, we thrown away a lead and a golden chance to profit on a couple of slip-ups from former leaders Winterthur – instead we’ve been overtaken by St. Gallen now too.

Challenge League: St. Gallen 2-0 Delémont

We actually did pretty well in the toughest stadium to visit in the league, but the woodwork, an unbelievable amount of missed one-on-ones by our right winger Pinedo, and clinical finishing from St. Gallen pretty much killed our promotion dreams.

Challenge League: Wil 0-3 Delémont (Duventru(2), Djimsiti)

A team meeting that went very well boosted our spirits into getting this much needed superb result. This game was originally postponed due to snow, first time I’ve seen this happening since the days FM was still CM.

Challenge League: Delémont 3-2 Winterthur (Pinedo, Duventru, Conteh)

A spectacular match and a very important win over promotion rivals. They pulled level from 2-0 down just before the break, but centre-back Conteh still managed to score the winner for us in a 2nd half corner. Deserved winner, too.

Player of the Month

DylanDuventruOverview_Attributes-3.jpg

It's Dylan yet again on very good form, man of the match in both our wins versus Wil and Winterthur, with 3 goals in those games.

Competitions

Challenge League:

ChallengeLeagueOverview_Stages-6.jpg

Summary

A disastrous month as we nearly fell for good from the fight at the top with 3 consecutive defeats, thankfully we bounced back nicely with a win away to very difficult opponents, then beating one of our main rivals to come within 1 point of the playoff place again. We’re in a considerably worse position now than last month, but it’s still wide open with 7 fixtures to go.

April 2012

Delemont.png

Fixtures

Challenge League: Delémont 2-1 Wohlen (Duventru, Szlykowicz)

Tougher than expected, we went into half-time losing by 1-0, but ultimately got the win.

Challenge League: Stade Nyonnais 1-2 Delémont (Pinedo, Edile)

Despite playing with 10 men we got a crucial last-minute winner from my recently signed left-back, and again boost past Winterthur in the table as they lose to St. Gallen.

Challenge League: Aarau 1-1 Delémont (Garat (og))

I’m happy to get an away point in what was a fairly poor performance from us.

Challenge League: Delémont 1-0 Brühl (Djimsiti)

Decent showing, we could and should’ve scored more against a team already relegated.

Player of the Month

BeratDjimsitiOverview_Attributes-2.jpg

Another good month from our loanee teenage centre-back, scoring the winner against Brühl.

Competitions

Challenge League:

ChallengeLeagueOverview_Stages-7.jpg

Summary

We were pretty much unconvincing in every match, but got 10 points from 12 possible so I can’t complain – particularly with Winterthur doing us a massive favor by imploding out of contention, almost mathematically so. 3 fixtures to go which will decide everything now between us and the mighty St. Gallen, if we don’t get direct promotion I don’t see us going up as we’d face Sion who are much better than us.

Who has the better run-in?

It's pretty much equivalent, 2 away games, 1 at home, 2 to relegated or near-relegated sides, 1 to mid-table opponents. Though something unexpected just happened, St. Gallen lost their home match and we barged through to 1st place with 2 games to go!

May 2012

Delemont.png

Fixtures

Challenge League: Bienne 1-3 Delémont (Duventru, Pinedo, Rodriguez)

As clinical as it gets as we score 3 in our first 5 shots. We guarantee at least a playoff spot, and remarkably St. Gallen lose at home to Wohlen gifting us the table lead!

Challenge League: Delémont 4-0 Bellinzona (Pinedo, Bouziane, Djimsiti, Touré)

An emphatic win with 4 different goalscorers, what an excellent way to build confidence and morale into the final decisive fixture.

Challenge League: Vaduz 1-5 Delémont (Djimsiti (2), Germann, Pinedo(2))

So it all came down to a crazy finale in a trip to Liechtenstein. We needed a win or at least a result as good as St. Gallen’s, but found ourselves losing by the 3rd minute and it remained 1-0 all the way until half time, as St Gallen were 0-0. It was looking like a massive choke from us, but then Djimsiti tied the game. Not enough – St Gallen were now winning at Aarau. Then to my delight Germann scored and completed the comeback. Or so I thought, we had an amazing second half and scored 3 more goals, whereas Aarau turned their game too! We have just been promoted to the Axpo Super League! Amusingly, this game relegated Vaduz, we had already been very mean to them with a 8-1 win a few months ago…

Player of the Month

GustavoPinedoOverview_Attributes-1.jpg

Amazing end of season form from the bolivian winger as he scores 4 in 3 games.

Competitions

Challenge League:

ChallengeLeagueOverview_Stages-2-2.jpg

I’m amazed Winterthur managed to drop so badly in the end that they finished 12 points behind us! Eventually St. Gallen beat Sion in the playoff and went up too.

Schweizer Cup: Knocked out in the quarter-finals by Zurich. Thun beat Servette in the final.

Summary

That was an awesome season, it looked like we had thrown the league a couple of times – particularly after those 3 consecutive defeats in early March – but we came good at the right time and found the mental strength to overcome what could’ve been a catastrophic choke in the Liechtenstein finale. I didn’t sign for the club expecting to get promotion on the first season, and it’s going to be pretty difficult in the Super League as it seems much more competitive. I took our finances into a pretty shambolic state so it’s going to be hard to sign players good enough for that level, but I suppose it’s also going to give us more income than another year here, so it’s always nice to go up.

Thanks folks, I think I'll need some luck next season, looks like quite a step up, specially given the finances. I'd consider buggering off into another club already but it wouldn't be fair to Delémont, I want to sort them out first.

Analysis, highlights and numbers – 2011/2012 season

Delemont.png

Tactics

SRDelmontTactics_TeamInstructions.jpg

This is the formation and instructions we used for most of the season, nothing out of the ordinary, fluid and with an emphasis on pace, balls on the ground, and passing into the runs of the mobile forward and the wingers – but also a balanced formation with 2 DMs. Usual shouts: “run at defence” and “work ball into box”. An alternative formation for tougher matches pushed the AMR and AML into MR, ML positions with “Counter” strategy and a little less fluidity; whereas there was also a version of the 4-2-3-1 with one of the DMs moved into the MC slot but I rarely used this. Also used: “attacking” strategy when losing, and “retain possession” shout when winning in the final minutes of a game.

Squad

These are the numbers that the Delémont players set:

SRDelmontSquad_Players-3.jpg

Top 5 key players of the season

5. Gustavo Pinedo (AMR) – Took a while to impress, but came really good at the end of the season, I thought his very bad teamwork and composure would cause problems but he added value to our attack.

4. Johnny Szlykowicz (AMC) – Pure class on our midfield, a few injuries hindered from even better attacking numbers.

3. Mickaël Rodriguez (ST) – Our top scorer on 16 goals, unfortunately starting to get a bit old, not sure he’ll be good enough at the top level next season.

2. Berat Djimsiti (DC) – This young centre-back will have a stellar future for sure, I’d like to renew his loan but doubt I’ll pull it off. 11 goals was a superb tally, certainly his performance in set pieces was important for us.

1. Dylan Duventru (AML) – Definitely our best signing as the French winger terrorized defenders all season long in the league. 11 goals and 17 assists says it all.

Match of the season

DelmontvVaduzInformation_Overview.jpg

No doubt our better performance as we helped sink the morale of Liechtenstein’s top side – the 5-1 of the final fixture, again versus Vaduz, wasn’t bad neither.

Awards

Challenge League Manager of the Season – Cláudio Alegria (1st)

Challenge League Team of the Season – Berat Djimsiti, Gustavo Pinedo, Dylan Duventru, Johnny Szlykowicz, Mickaël Rodriguez

Challenge League Young Player of the Year – Berat Djimsiti (2nd)

Challenge League Midfielder of the Season – Dylan Duventru (1st), Gustavo Pinedo (2nd)

Challenge League Striker of the Season – Mickaël Rodriguez (1st)

Season Summary Mentions

Challenge League Most Assists – Dylan Duventru (14)

Challenge League Highest Average Rating – Dylan Duventru (7.56, 25 apps)

Challenge League Overachievers – Delémont

Challenge League Signing of the Season – Dylan Duventru (€0) (1st), Gustavo Pinedo (1K€) (2nd)

Career overview

[b]Season   Club (nation)         League (tier)                          Notes[/b]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
11/12    Delémont (SWI)        Challenge League (2) - 1st             Promoted

Pre-season: June/July 2012

Delemont.png

Transfers (in)

All frees bar Sani who is on loan:

Darryl Roberts (ST / AMRL) – Class forward albeit of a slightly different kind as he’s best in the air, may be good for as a support target man in a 4-4-2 variant. 4* CA.

Alfred Duncan (MC / DM) – Very promising 19 y.o. midfielder, already our better MC. 5* PA!!!

Sidi Keita (DM) – Superb signing, once a 6M€ signing by Lens and still comfortably in his prime. 4* of CA.

Emmanuel Sani (ST / AMR) – I was delighted when the board made a feeder club deal with Lazio and sent him our way, good young forward.

Christophe Lowinsky (DC) – With both my first 11 centre-backs gone I had to sign quite a few, this 20 y.o. Frenchman is good but more of a long-term investment with 4.5* of PA.

Sébastien Robert (GK) – I definitely needed a better keeper, not a huge improvement on Weber/Ferro but still better.

Baltasar Rigo (DC) – Classy centre-back very good in the air. 3.5* of CA.

Roberto Candido (AMC / MC) – Was given the free transfer by Inter and I was pleased to pick him up, huge future star, the 19 y.o. talent has 4.5* of PA.

Guillaume Katz (DC / DL) – My only swiss signing is now the best defender in the whole squad, 3.5* CA, 4.5* PA.

Eros Pellegrini (DR / DL) – I’d like a tad more pace but good full-back released by Palermo, 4* PA.

Najib Ammari (AML / ML) – Yet another 2nd choice for a position (AML is Duventru's, clearly) but with big potential, 4.5* PA for this 20 y.o.

Gilson Silva (AMR / MR, AML, ST) – May very well steal Pinedo’s place as AMR or even play as ST, high quality player on 4* CA.

Transfers (out)

A lot of contracts ran out, I agreed mutual termination, released or sold by 0€ to other clubs quite a few players so this is a very long list: Sebastião Nogueira, Pape Sarr, Sid Bouziane, Kewullay Conteh, Radek Spilacek, Abdul Iddi, Garry Germann, Florian Hengel, Ermin Alic, Luca Ferro, Cédric Hulmann, Dylan Choulat, Gaetan Frund and Macio. Also the loans of Berat Djimsiti and Dominik Stadlbauer ended.

A few of those were first team players, particularly the centre-backs Conteh and Djimsiti, the latter of which a huge part of our promotion success, let’s see if we don’t miss him.

Fixtures

Friendly: Kapfenberger 0-3 Delémont (Duventru(2), Jarosch)

I forgot to set up the friendlies myself and ended up with a nonsense schedule. Got it going started well though.

Friendly: Cambuur 1-0 Delémont

Not quite as good.

Friendly: Austria Lustenau 3-0 Delémont

Even worse.

Friendly: Veendam 1-1 Delémont (Lowinsky)

Already the final friendly, and not the morale-booster I usually set up.

Super League: Delémont 1-0 St. Gallen (Rodriguez)

A good start with a win despite playing with 10 men for a while as Jarosch got himself sent off, but this is one of the easiest fixtures of the year, at home against our former Challenge League rivals.

Super League: Young Boys 1-0 Delémont

Good showing in one of the toughest fixtures of the season, we were unlucky to lose.

Player of the Month

BaltasarRigoOverview_Attributes.jpg

Good start to his life in Switzerland from my new Spanish centre-back.

Competitions

Axpo Super League:

AxpoSuperLeagueOverview_Stages.jpg

Schweizer Cup: First round to be drawn late August.

Summary

The squad’s looking better than I imagined, we got a lot of talented signings and I’m now cautiously optimistic of avoiding relegation, particularly with a decent start in the league. Finances look settled, still 770K€ in the red but this league gives rather good TV revenue, I think the news item said something like 1.5M€ through the season.

Archived