Ri916's FM 12 Youth Academy Challenge!

Giving this a go right now. Usually I've relied heavily on transfers and never paid much attention to my youth system so this will be a nice change. Chose Chester - it seems like a lot of others have too, I'm not really bothered as it'll still be really difficult with any team.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

51081130burytownfc1.jpg

XaW - Season 1 (2012/13) - Bury Town FC - Blue Square North - End of season update

Table | Past Positions | Squad | Finances | Transfers |

My first season with Bury Town was a great one. We actually eased our way through the season winning much more than I could have imagined. My way to play is a 4-3-3 with wide inward wingers and a striker with good pace, but since we didn't have much in the winger department I had to switch it up some. After the friendlies I'd decided to play with three narrow strikers, but the wide ones had quite some defensive tasks as well. The central striker still needed to be quite quick and we did indeed have someone who fit in perfectly. Sam Reed was my choice as main goalscorer and did he ever deliver! 61 goals in 49 matches is just incredible. He was won the award for most goals in the league aswell. A fun fact is he was also the person to get call off for offside most with 88! His job was to be a poacher aswell as running in behind the defence at every chance he got. When we have a player who has the capacity to score as much as he did we also needed someone to assist him. Our main ones were Lee Smith and James Scowcroft. The other notable players this season is Chris Shaw, Billy Clarke and Craig Nurse.

Our FA Cup run went great as we went to the 2nd round were Exeter got the better of us after a rematch. Out stint in the FA Trophy was much shorter as we lost at the second hurdle against Corby.

Our financed suffered a hit at the end of the season since our board have decided to turn some of our stands into seating. Otherwise we went around even this season.

For the next season my only goal is to survive in the Blue Square Premier and hopefully get some more talented youngsters through our ranks.

Season         Division             Position       Achievements
-----------------------------------------------------------------
2012/13        Blue Square North    1st            Champions, promoted

i got bury town too, iam not big on the screenshot things so nevermind me, but iam not even close to staying in the league, let alone get 85 points ~_~ >_>

If you use Steam just press F12 to take a screenshot, then shift+alt to enter the steam menu to upload it. The main reason for getting so many points was my striker scoring for fun. I conceded way to many goals to my likening, but we still won most matches. My GK had almost no clean sheets, mainly because he is crap, but also because some of my defenders aren't good enough. I've just started the next season, and I'm struggling with my players fitness. Finishing most matches with most in the 50-60% range, which means I have to start my next game with players below 85% fitness. I think more youngsters are going to play some games than I intended yet...

Well done on the promotion XaW

Something I haven't managed yet I have tried this challenege 4 or 5 times

Currently with Redditch, into my 5th (I think, I'm at work) season

Keep having great starts and in and around the playoffs after 25 games or so then have massive slumps in form and finsih mid table

Started the new season on Wedneday night and won 2 of the first 3 games. Can't wait to get promoted out of the BSS. I am determined to do it

Nice one XaW, good effort, I'm in December sitting 4th, see how I go. Because of only having 2 DC's (ones half the time not available due to red cards)and 2 Strikers ( one is 37 and is still yet to score), I am playing a 361, seems to be going ok at the moment.

Hang in there Padders, i'll probably join you lol, just played a team where every player in front of the two DC's supposedly had a 2 star rating or less, went attacking and got spanked 4-2.

I feel your pain mate

Still battling in BSN after 6 seasons (it might even be 7!!!)

Unfortunately the last 2 season has been bottom half finishes.

I am struggling in defence also. Nothing decent coming from the Youth. I do have one decent striker who was top scorer in the BSN last season. Will try my best with some screen shots later tonight

St Albans ~Season one~

Placed 7th

Well what can I say about my first season in charge? All over the place, didn't help only having one ok striker and a couple of Center Backs, I tried to be smart at the start of the season and created a couple of formations, a 361 with one more defensive than the other, it did ok till we hit December and everything went topsy turvey. So I started to play two variations of a 442, playing fullbacks in center back positions when needed. I only had one injury to any one of my strikers which lasted all of 6 days iirc, so we did ok there.

The team on a whole was very inconsistent, but a lot of the players are under 24 so could have something to do with it.

My highest placing was 3rd and my lowest was 18th, pretty much sums up the year, so to finish 7th was not to bad. We had a slight chance of getting into the play offs, but things didn't go our way in that regard.

I have promoted a few yp's, hired one player as a coach and looking to hire another (my 37 year old striker) who retires soon.

A few stats:

Average attendance: 471

Average ticket price: $15.20

Season ticket price: $239

Season ticket holders: 109

Facilities are the same and have not been improved, this league bleeds to much money, need to go up as soon as I can.

League table

As you can see we managed to score a few, but our defense was pretty leaky. Salisbury and Dover went up, realised later I should have taken the screenie after it happened.

I was just praying for a striker to come in the batch of new youths and I got my wish in the best of the pick.

I had to pick a few yp's as I either need them now or I will soon. Messed up on the yp naming a little but can't be bothered to fix it.

Alex Whitehead (yp01) : As soon as he came in he went into the first team, scoring on debut and two more times, He has a balanced personality so I am getting him tutored to be more of a professional. I have high hopes for the lad.

Calum Good (yp01a): A much needed goal keeper, as you may have noticed we let a few go into the net because the keeper I just released was terrible. This young guy has almost identical stats to him at this young age, so next campaign will be my starting keeper.

Tim Lawson (yp01b): I have used this guy already as well and has already showing signs of progress. One time when we had two matches in three days, the other when one CD was injured and my other one (ever reliable) was chilling out on one of his many red cards. Got a 6.8 to 7.4 rating! Will be coming into the first team.

Sean Booth (yp01c): Another handy defender rated more highly than Tim Lawson (yp01b) but has a way to develope and determination is pretty low, but I have the guy to tutor him with an awe inspiring determination of 14! (on a side note who was that american playing in Sth Africa last name Booth, surely not Sean?).

Matty Lumley (yp01c): Apparently rated pretty high as well, needs a lot of work but we need another DM.

Zema Beham (yp01d): Only rated a three star potential, but I need a AML, maybe if he gets game time he may increase a star? seen it happen before.

OK just some news items.

Alex Whithead (yp01) : The youngest goalscorer for the club to date.

Tim Lawson (yp01b) : Becomes the youngest player.

What!? Not a lot of patience, retires a month after getting a youth contract!

In other news:

English FA Cup: QPR 2-2P Bolton

English FA Cup: Fulham 2-1 Bolton

Premier top spot goes to Man United.

Relegation from Premiership: QPR, Wolves and Watford.

51081130burytownfc1.jpg

XaW - Season 2 (2013/14) - Bury Town FC - Blue Square Premier - New years update

I didn't quite know what to expect this season after last the surprise promotion last year. We started out good, but soon it started. The period of the season best summed up in a single word.... "Draw"! Yes, I've called it the Draw and I think you can guess why. In 19 league matches we managed 11 draws, mostly 1-1s and 2-2s. We have still managed to remain around mid table despite the draws since we only have 4 losses in the league so far and we hold the 11th place. The latest months we have also had a serious injury problem with many of our main players. This has led to more youth players getting their chances than I originally intended. Still, they have preformed well, but none have exceeded what I could expect.

Sam Reed still scores much more than one could hope for, but he has suffered many small injuries so far this season. Sadly, in his absence no one have stepped up to try to take his place and we have had problems scoring when Reed were out injured.

The FA Cup was shorter than last years, but we got as far as the 1st round were we held Barnet of League Two to a rematch, but they proved to hard a challenge at their turf. In The FA Trophy we are still running, but our next step is the 1st round rematch against Burton.

@Xaw, doing well mate. First season in and getting draws is better than losses, in the next year or few you can turn those draws into wins. Hope you do ok with that awesome keeper too.

@ Padders, I holiday after a bad run, sometimes a new perspective can get you a much needed win and let your assman choose the team. Hope that helps.

@Xaw, doing well mate. First season in and getting draws is better than losses, in the next year or few you can turn those draws into wins. Hope you do ok with that awesome keeper too.

Yeah, I'm more pleased with draws than losses for sure! More than satisfied with avoiding relegation this year than anything. My junior keeper conceded some goals and made a few mistakes, but nothing extreme. He remains an ok backup for now.

@Xaw, my keeper decided to play in his skates, slid (standing up I might add) all of six - eight feet to earn himself a red card.

Hehe, that happens sometimes, but usually it's my defenders who gung ho into challenges. I can see the red cards coming miles away.

Here we go again

After a good start and 10 games unbeaten, here comes a stupid run of losing every game November/December time

I LOVE IT

I use to have the exact same, but I've dodged that bullet so far. Hopefully you squad will come around.

Would be interesting to see that striker Padders.

Try shielding your defense with a couple of DM's if you can and just pray to any and every god out there for a decent DC lol, worked for me.

Anyway good luck, hopefully i'll join you soon, it is my only aim at the moment to get out of this league.

I will put a screenshot of him tonight, promise. He has had a great start to the new season as well. He did have a goal a game before the bad run I went on (see screenshot above)

I use to have the exact same, but I've dodged that bullet so far. Hopefully you squad will come around.

And I jinxed myself.... 11 last games, 1(yeah, that a ONE) win....slipping down the table now...

Red Orpe looks pretty good, handy he can take a cool penalty or two.

Bad luck Xaw, hopefully you can turn it around.

I have two players who seem to go from superb moral to very poor for no apparent reason! They respond well to talks, the team is winning, then suddenly during the match I see their moral mysteriously drops? Very strange, then they start performing badly. :(

Absoutely devstated, relegated last night out of the BSN.

Had four games left, I played teams in postison 1st, 16th, 3rd and 4th. I needed to win one of those games to stay up. Didn't win one of them. I hammered the team in 16th. Had 15 shots on goal (only 2 on target) and concdeded in the 94:30 minute to lose 1-0

So gutted, I had a another striker in the last Youth Candidates come through who looked very strong, but after EIGHT seasons in the BSN I have now got to decide whether to start again or not for the FIFTH time!!!!!!!!!!!

Had four games left, I played teams in postison 1st, 16th, 3rd and 4th. I needed to win one of those games to stay up. Didn't win one of them. I hammered the team in 16th. Had 15 shots on goal (only 2 on target) and concdeded in the 94:30 minute to lose 1-0

So gutted, I had a another striker in the last Youth Candidates come through who looked very strong, but after EIGHT seasons in the BSN I have now got to decide whether to start again or not for the FIFTH time!!!!!!!!!!!

similair to my experience :D

i dont understand how people can get promoted in first or second season with this crappy squad you get from the start, sometimes i even lack players for a standard formation and have to retrain couple guys on positions to have a reserve to choose from, let alone catch a injury or two and its game over :p

Junior intake 2014

Season 1:

Mohamed Rahman YP1 - The best of the pick from the first season. Got a bit more matches than intended and done ok.

2012/13

2013/14

Season 2:

Tommy Goodchild YP2a - Promising defender. Need a bit more strength, but otherwise good stats.

2013/14

Tim Cobb YP2b - Left back. Hopefully he can improve, as that's one of the spots we need a great one.

2013/14

Warren Southon YP2c - High hopes for him as he have some great physical stats already.

2013/14

Russel Pearce YP2d - Another defensive midfielder whom I hope can take the step up.

2013/14

51081130burytownfc1.jpg

XaW - Season 2 (2013/14) - Bury Town FC - Blue Square Premier - End of season update

Table | Past Positions | Squad | Finances | Transfers |

My second season as manager of Bury Town, and the clubs first in Blue Square Premier started out great. We won the two first matches in the league and continued with few losses all the way until the new year. Granted, we had a majority of draws, but we kept the pace of the league and we comfortably in the upper part of the table. Around new years however the tides turned. We started losing matches rapidly and got loads of injuries which caused us to use way to many youth players who are far from being ready. We went on a run of 14 matches without a win, managing only 2 draws among them. This caused us to slowly, but surely, sliding down the table and closer to the relegation zone. It wasn't before the final 8 matches we started to play something that look like football. We finished those matches strong going 5-1-2 the last matches to make up for some of the lost ground earlier in the spring.

The cups this year was cut short as we went out in the first round of both the FA Cup and the FA Trophy after replays.

The most vital players this season was much like last year. Sam Reed is still the major strike force up top. He also managed to be 3rd place topscorer in the league this season playing only 32 matches because of injuries. Other notable players were Lee Smith, Kieran Leabon and Craig Nurse.

Financially we are still dropping, but hopefully our attendances will continue to increase the next season.

Season         Division             Position       Achievements
-----------------------------------------------------------------
2012/13        Blue Square North    1st            Champions, promoted
2013/14        Blue Square Premier  16th           Avoided relegation

Congrats on the youth upgrade Xaw, my board want me to concentrate on signings!

Probly not the start you wanted, but you had a lot of draws, hopefully some players progressed and you may turn some of them into wins next year and some of those losses into draws. Here's to a better campaign next year. But it's a step in the right direction, onwards and upwards!

Sorry been away for a bit, had other things to do. I start my season and after 6 games I lie in second, won 5 drawn 1. If I do not go up this year I will be devastated. YP01 scored 5 in one game, he is now semi professional, my tutor retiring before he was fully professional. That same tutor was the same 37 yr old striker I wanted to sign as an additional coach, but he didn't want to enter into talks.

Hopefully I will join you guys in the BSP, unless I have just put the Jinx on myself :p

Last year I had a scout to scout the UK and next opposition, it was costing me between 10 - 20 k a month, so I got rid of him, I did make a mistake this season though, signing up to reserve league, as the board insisted I have a youth league. Hoping this does not have adverse effects on my finances, as I can see us alreadt making a loss this season.

I also tried a different rout with friendlies, only to hamper the finances more, will not try that again lol.

Stay at it padders, you have some good youth, you will bounce back next year.

International management isnt allowed. No idea why not. I asked but didnt get an answer.

The answer is mainly I find it unrealistic for a manager to manage an english club side and an international team, especially India U23's :D

chesterLogo-1.png

Chester City Season 9: 2020-21 - Bobbins71

League Position 10th - You cant get more mid table than that!

League Cup - Knocked out 1st round by Stockport. Not happy with that.

FA Cup - Knocked out in Semi Final by Liverpool. We'll win it one day.

results 1 | results 2 | results 3

Season League | Position | Achievements
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2012/13 BSN | 1st | FA Cup 1st Rd FA Trophy 3rd Rd
2013/14 BSP | 5th | FA Cup 1st Rd FA Trophy 3rd Rd, Promoted via Play Off
2014/15 NPower League 2 | 8th | FA Cup 4th Rd LC 1st Rd, Johnston Paint North Qtr Final
2015/16 NPower League 2 | 1st | FA Cup 3rd Rd LC 3rd Rd, Johnston Paint North Final
2016/17 NPower League 1 | 5th | FA Cup 1st Rd LC 1st Rd, Johnston Paint North 2nd Rd, Promoted via Play Off
2017/18 Championship | 12th | FA Cup 6th Rd LC 2nd Rd
2018/19 Championship | 5th | FA Cup Semi LC 1st Rd, Lost Play Off Semi Final
2019/20 Championship | 3rd | FA Cup 3rd Rd LC Semi, Promoted via Play Off
2020/21 Premiership | 10th | FA Cup Semi LC 1st Rd
[/Code]

A solid first season in the Premiership. I'm very satisfied with how we performed. Scored lots of goals but conceded a few as well. This season aim was survival, so I would say we did really well. We never were in any danger and skirted around the top six for a while. Next season's aim is to build on this and try and finish higher.

Transfers - None.

Squad - Quite solid now. Could do with a better defence. Midfield is very strong and in Dale Yates I have one of the best strikers in the world.

Facilities - Improvements underway on the training and youth facilities. I can afford it now! Move into our new stadium at the end of next season.

Finances - Ridiculously wealthy now. Made £28M in profit in one season. Sponsorship took a huge jump. I even have a feeder club in the US for merchendising! I hope the board allow me to start paying higher wages because the players are starting to ask for more money now. The salary limit is tiny.

Youth Intake - Three players get promoted. Jimmy McDermott (YP9a)| Report, Luke Pearson (YP9b) | Report and Bobby Briggs (YP9c)| Report. All have the potential to be premiership players.

[b]Starting[/b]

Craig Hulse (YP0a) RB | Report - Never found a club and has retired.

Joe Ormorod (YP0b) MC | Report - Never found a club and has retired.

Jordon Grace (YP0c) MC | Report - Never found a club and has retired.

Sean Miller (YP0d) SC | Report - Played only a bit part this season. Still scored whenever he came on though. I'd like to keep him but his contract is up at the end of the season and he wants too much money than I am allowed to give him.

[b]1st Intake [/b]

Neil McCann (YP1a) DC | Report - Played but being found out at this level.

Marcus Cotterill (YP1b) DC | Report - Now a squad player, 3rd or 4th choice centre back.

Nathan Ryan (YP1c) RB | Report - Never found a club and has retired.

Neil Collins (YP1d) MC | Report - Only played a handful of games. Backup squad player.

[b]2nd Intake[/b]

Adam Taylor (YP2a) SC | Report - Had a $14M transfer to Liverpool. Now earns £68K week but not a great season for him performance wise.

Marc Owen (YP2b) MC | Report - Still quality.

James Osula (YP2c) RB | Report - Has a terrible injury record but is still my best right back.

Eddie Knowles (YP2d) LB | Report - Has lost his place to Billy Stubbs (YP7a) and only played a handful of times.

[b]3rd Intake[/b]

Brian Roberts (YP3a) MC | Report - Great season. Rampaging midfielder who has now scored 50+ goals for Chester.

Liam O'Donnell (YP3b) SC | Report - Spent on loan again. Not good enough and will be released.

[b]4th Intake[/b]

Frazer Keefe (YP4a) DM | Report - Another great season as the anchor man.

Curtis Holt (YP4b) GK | Report - He's OK. I don't really have great GKs so he will do.

Ian Godfrey (YP4c) MC/RB | Report - Mr Versatile and has done well.

[b]5th Intake[/b]

Dale Yates (Yp5a) SC | Report - Premiership player of the season runner up. 40 league goals!!! and leading MoM.

Simon McLaughlin (Yp5b) GK | Report - Released. Now plays for Carlisle.

Kieran McDermott (Yp5c) DC | Report - Not going to make it and will be released.

Andrew Prescott (Yp5d) SC | Report - Not brilliant but did OK, scored 6 goals.

[b]6th Intake[/b]

Eddie Boardman (YP6a) SC | Report - Better season, scored 14 goals and is getting better and better.

Daniel O'Keefe (YP6b) DC | Report - Best defender. Good season.

Phil Davison (YP6c) DC | Report - Has not progressed. Will probably release him.

[b]7th Intake[/b]

Billy Stubbs (YP7a) LB | Report - Was injured 3 times this season, every time he went on international duty! Fortunately not long term.

Brian Jones (YP7b) GK | Report - No better than Curtis Holt. Solid backup until I get a better one.

[b]8th Intake[/b]

Terry Burke (YP8a) DC/MC | Report - Have very high hopes for him. Came on well this season.

[b]9th Intake[/b]

Jimmy McDermott (YP9a) LB | Report - Very promising LB. Being retrained as a RB for this coming season.

Luke Pearson (YP9b) MC | Report - Could be a Leading Premiership Midfielder but will be trained as a CB next season. I've very light there.

Bobby Briggs (YP9c) MC | Report - Could be decent Premiership Midfielder. Will be a back up next season.

Lets get at em.....

Ok, I know it has been FOREVER since I posted anything, but I have been playing at a slow rate at this save the whole time.

Northwich Victoria now find themselves in the Premier League for the first time for the 2023/2024 season. Bottom of the league 12 games in but making a whole load of money all of a sudden at least!

I intend to take a load of screenshots and post updates in here tonight (fingers crossed) at some point.

Whilst I'm also languishing in the lower echelons of the Spanish leagues for another youth team challenge, I thought I'd also try my hand at the English equivalent too.

So being a good honest Yorkshire lad, the opportunity to manage one of the multitude of local teams couldn't be passed up. So I've taken over as manager of Bradford Park Avenue, they're predicted to finish 21st, and looking at the squad I can possibly see why that might even be a little optimistic... yeah, no keepers in any of the squads.

Other than that 'minor' issue, I do feel the squad should be decent enough to at least stay up.

Team General Information

Team Facilities

First season at Weymouth and finished 6th!! Gutted

Needed to win the last game of the season to finish 5th and lost

New season really struggled as most of the better players I didn't sign on huge wages, think that may have been a mistake. When I took the job at Weymouth the wage bill was £20 a week! As the season progressed I signed the players were were doing well onto contracts, but some of the players wanted £400 - £600 a week.

Third season finished last night and needed to win my last game by two or more goals and hope St Albans don't win.

St Albans drew 0-0 so I have to win, here is the my result

I stayed up by ONE goal!

I have never been so nervous playing a game of Football Manager, the main reason is this guy came through my Youth Candidates

Wanted by Premiership Leicester already

Billy Byrne scored goals for fun, just can't stop conceding them!

Archived