Ri916's FM 12 Youth Academy Challenge!

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I work a few hours during the night, so that leaves me with quite a lot of time during the day.

Seasons are quite easy to complete.

Takes me about 30 minutes to complete 1 match and start another! It makes me wonder how people can complete seasons so quickly unless they holiday or just skip lots of important information. Maybe I just analyse everything too much!

Suttonunited.png

FM11 - Sutton United FC 2013/14 Season Update - Blue Square Bet Premier - Marky Mark!

2011/12 - BSS, 1st, FA Trophy 2nd Round, BSS Champions!

2012/13 - BSP, 2nd, FA Cup 1st Round, FA Trophy 4th Round, Lost in BSP Playoff Final

2013/14 - BSP, 14th, FA Cup 1st Round, FA Trophy 1st Round

46 Pld, 17 Won, 12 Drn, 17 Lst, 77 For, 90 Ag, -13 GD, 63 Pts

League / Domestic Cups

My 2nd season in the BSP started well, with 3 wins from 4 games, but after that everything went sour, and whilst I was never in danger of entering the relegation zone, I was also never in danger of challenging for a playoff spot, and ended the season a mediocre 14th - it's safe to say my 'original' players are starting to deteriorate (with some exceptions), and my youth players are just not improving fast enough to replace them.

2014 League Table and Graph

There was also nothing to note in the domestic cups, with the team being knocked out of the 1st round of both the FA Cup and FA Trophy.

Star Players

Fan's Player of the Year - Oliver Nicholas

For the 2nd time in 3 seasons, 22 year old Eritrean defender Nicholas has picked up the Fan's Player of the Year award, and is now by far the best player in the squad, and one of the few 'original' players that has keep on improving (although at 22 you'd expect him to). Continues to have interest from other clubs, with clubs from Finland, Turkey, Spain and German all interested in him - although he still has 2 years to run on his contract, and I plan on extending that to 5.

Most Promising U18 Player - Daniel Leary

As per usual, the U18 squad didn't produce any gems, however 18 year old right back Daniel Leary was probably the best of a bad bunch, with good physical attributes, and even mentioned 2 senior appearances due to injury - however will need to keep improving if he wants to cement a spot in the senior squad.

2014 Seasonal Best XI and Overall Best XI

Finances / Facilities

No cup runs of note means the club recorded a $300k loss for the season, and the bank balance is back down to $75k - guess I'll have to wait a while longer before I can even think of improving my 'basic' youth facilities (of course I could always use the pre-season friendly exploit to get some cash, but I'd rather not unless I have to).

2014 Finances

Training Facilities: Adequate

Youth Facilities: Basic

Youth Recruitment: Basic

So, after a promising season last year, this was... not promising - in fact quite the opposite. With my original squad starting to age and decline in quality, I really need to start to find some youth players to step up if I am ever going to earn promotion into the football league - where hopefully I can start generating a profit year on year. Let's see if next season is any better.

New Club Records

Most Games Lost in Row: 3 - 31.8.2013 to 7.9.2013

Most Games Without Winning: 6 - 31.8.2013 to 24.9.2013

Most League Apps for Club: Kevin Scriven - 187

Most League Goals for Club: Martin Reilly - 74

Oldest Player: Uriel Trustfull - 36 years 174 days (v Morecambe (H) Blue Square Bet Premier 26.4.2014)

Fastest Goal: Martin Reilly - 40 seconds (v Newport Co (H) Blue Square Bet Premier 5.2.2014)

Im very embarrassed to say that I'm behind on the league table. so instead of trawling through the thread I thought I would just ask everyone to make a post that says:

-who you are managing

-How many seasons you have completed

-Your current division

I'm sorry for getting behind but I just cant keep up with the number of updates some people manage to get in looking at nobody *cough* drew *cough* :D

-who you are managing: Sutton United (FM11)

-How many seasons you have completed: 3

-Your current division: BSP

I envy you mkj :mad:. Jamil Adam :(. He would have kept me up no doubt. Even his new 12.2 version. He was firing them in at roughly a goal a game for Hinckley on my Chester attempt.

Well, looks like I am going to need it. Worked my way through the usual new save tasks of reviewing my staff, realizing they suck, and trying to find adequate replacements. I was over the Board's suggested coach count (3), and they would not budge and increase it. So I fired my youth coach (I have no non-grey youths) and my first-team coach (we can't afford to be picky, you need to train them all) after negotiating new, shorter contracts with them to lower the cost of mutual termination. In keeping with the physical nature of lower league games, I brought in a 3 1/2 star fitness coach with decent side skills.

The soul-sucking money spinner friendlies are over, and I was mercilessly beaten by the near-upper echelons of English and Scottish soccer. Fortunately, my humiliations were televised, and I sit on a decent balance to cover costs of operating this year. The season prep (and morale repair) part of the off-season is underway with a solid 5-2 win against a lower division minnow. Jamil Adam opened his tally with a couple, and the team looks generally decent. Hopefully my 3 physios (the Board, thankfully, saw the wisdom in not having lots of injuries this season) will keep the injuries to a minimum.

On the not-so-awesome front, one of my non-contract veteran defensive stalwarts got pissed off that I wanted to secure him on a part-time contract (huh?). He was consequently poached by fellow promotee Redditch, despite my best efforts to entice him to stay by indulging his dreams of becoming a scout. A week later, everyone is willing to negotiate. I guess I was too eager? With the lack of ability to bring people in, this is the sort of thing that will kill the first season, so hopefully I can fend off any other interest until March rolls around.

Surprisingly, the Board agreed to a junior coaching improvement right off the bat, so we are now at adequate. No dice on the youth recruitment of course, and I am not eager to sink money into the training facilities until we have some depth of talent worth spending money on =)

I have to say, it's sort of nice not having to scout and look for squad improvements. Certainly makes this save move a lot faster than my usual Southampton one! Now I am just itching to get the season proper underway.

Alright, I'll shut up and get on with it =) Cheers for starting up this challenge, Ri916! Good luck to everyone.

Edit: Dear lord, that was a lot of typos and unfinished sentences.

Last season: 3rd in the Championship

This season: Killed off in the League cup 1st round by Chester in a 3-0 romping!

Well who would have know, my Chester side beat Burnley! We're on fire.

stothy- although under 21s dont initally count, you can set them to be part of the registered players if you click and select in.
Thanks, I know this already but it's just worrying the lack of experience!

This youth intake, what is it? Damn me not having much in terms of youth facilties and recruitment :mad:. I only have £12k in the bank and I'm slowly falling down the league. Mid-table could be the best that we can afford. Oh and I have no goalkeeper, no youth intake and morale is battered.

Drew. Lowestoft Town. The Championship. 2024/2025

Table - Survival, that's what we wanted, and that's what we got, we didn't score as much goals as everyone else, but we didn't concede that much, which is quite pleasing.

Squad

Ollie Driver YP5 not the best, but he'll do as a squad player.

Christian Frew YP6 again, not the best but he'll do as a squad player next season.

Kenny Stockwell YP7 once again only used as a squad player, and will be for next season.

Luke Southgate YP9 hardly used, and will be a backup for next season.

Ollie Hooper YP10 solid enough, will be looking for more of the same next season.

Ben Evans YP11 the youngster done well notching 15 goals, I will be hoping for more of the same next season.

Jordan Parker YP12 impressive season from the youngster.

Jimmy Parnaby YP13 very impressed with this kid, had Charlton look at him over the summer, but a new contract scared them away.

Geoff Bastow YP14 will try and give him some games next season, or send him out on loan.

Kerry Carney YP15 just with Bastow, will try and give Kerry some games, or send him out on loan.

Finances we always end the season in the red, but work our way to black before the season starts, this year, the board have decided to add 2.7k seats at a cost of £3.2m, which means we will be losing £500k a month until the summer, which means it will be a couple of seasons before we can improve any facilities, unless we get taken over of course.

Proof that I haven't cheated

Year   Season   League   Final Position  Wins   Draws   Losses   For   Against   GD   Pts
 1    2012/13    BSS         9th         18      9       15     50       45     +5    63
 2    2013/14    BSS         4th         23     10        9     59       37     +22   79
 3    2014/15    BSS         3rd         20     16        9     50       40     +10   76
 4    2015/16    BSS         1st         21     17        4     64       37     +27   80
 5    2016/17    BSP        10th         15     18       13     55       45     +10   63
 6    2017/18    BSP        17th         14     14       14     45       57     -12   56
 7    2018/19    BSP         1st         24     17        5     67       42     +25   89
 8    2019/20	   L2         5th         22     10       14     59       49     +10   76
 9    2020/21     L2         1st         23     19        4     59       36     +23   88
10    2021/22     L1        19th         11     18       17     51       60     -9    51
11    2022/23     L1        16th         13     18       15     51       57     -6    57
12    2023/24     L1         1st         25     16        5     71       46     +25   91
13    2024/25     CH        16th         13     21       12     55       54     +1    60

That's not that much! I'm spending double that... It's really hurting the finances, but as long as you use the friendly tournaments in the summer it's fine.

Slight difference though. I'm in the BSP with next to no TV income, where as your in L1 with a fair amount (£325k a year isn't it?) plus a fair size ground ....

Can I swap Aldu for all the ball winning midfielders that are coming though my youth team please?

Yes definitely! I'm desperate for some solid midfielders!

Slight difference though. I'm in the BSP with next to no TV income, where as your in L1 with a fair amount (£325k a year isn't it?) plus a fair size ground ....

True. But like I said you get some big money spinning friendlies and try and get out of BSP as quickly as possible and it won't seem like too much.

Hastingsunited.jpg

Hastings United - Blue Square South - 2014/2015

League Table - Improved another 2 places and up to 13th.

FA Cup - Another amazing cup run saw us lose in the 3rd round 3-0 to Bolton.

FA Trophy - A bad showing in this competition losing in the 1st round to Eastbourne Boro.

Squad - Our strike force is very good, our defence however is still quite leaky.

Youth Players:

Jason Tillen (YP1) - 27 goals in 51 appearances added with 17 assists, he's breaking club records.

Jason Lancashire (YP2a) - A solid if unspectacular season getting 44 appearances.

Steven Clayton (YP2b) - Same as Jason Lancashire, solid and almost getting an average rating of 7.00.

Ant Younghusband (YP2c) - Managed to score 9 goals as well as getting 10 assists, good season.

Joe Hessenthaler (YP3) - Only managed 1 goal in 8 but putting him on some quickness training.

Season      Division          Position     Achievements
2012/13   Blue Square South     17th         Survived
2013/14   Blue Square South     15th        FA Cup 3rd Round, FA Trophy 4th Round
2014/15   Blue Square South     13th        FA Cup 3rd Round, FA Trophy 1st Round

BadgeNorthwich_Victoria.png

Northwich Victoria - Blue Square North - 2012/2013

League - I was pleased that we managed to make the play-offs but was disappointed that we threw away a 3-1 lead in the first leg against Darlington to go on and lose 5-4 on aggregate in the Play-off semi.

FA Cup - A great cup run saw us make the 3rd round where we lost to Blackpool but this run brought us in some profit which is always good

FA Trophy - Not so great, only made the 1st round.

Key Players

Top Goalscorer - Leighton McGivern

Player of the Year - Jerry Nnamani

Youth Intake

A poor youth intake in my opinion and none of them were good enough to make the first team but I chose 2 to give YP tags to who I thought could go on to be good players.

YP1 - GK - A much needed keeper as I had previously only had 1 keeper in the entire squad. I should hopefully give him some games during the course of next season. 4.5* Potential

YP2 - D/WB(L) - Should get a few games next season. 4* Potential

Transfers - The player was signed before I joined.

Holy Batman! How much a month on the youth setup???? :eek::eek:

Heh, in the same boat here Avramski with my BSP Weymouth team.

Just had my first youth intake with my 'excellent' junior coaching and the price tag that comes with it, and underwhelmed :(

Guess you cannot win the youth intake lottery every year, but I was hoping for more with my more expensive tickets :D

I'm in the play-off final again! Hopefully I'll be off to the Championship in just one match time!

Edit: 1-1 into extra time!

HAHA YES! 2-1 with seconds left!

What a match! So tense. When one of our guys was sent off I thought we blew it, never mind when the second was sent off, but I kept 3 upfront and just told everyone to pump it up and play more directly (basically telling them to forget about the midfield and get it to the strikers) and it worked! Wow. Still in amazement that we did it..

have improved junior coaching to 'average' at start of second season, should hopefully get me some good youth in march. The board are also searching for a Parent Club which could bring in more money to help with facility upgrades.

My profile: Mark Hayes

Managing Carshalton. Objectives are to stay up. Decent first team, now I just need some staff... Going for a kamikaze formation because it's apparent that our best player can only play as an AMC.

Will post a picture of the facilities soon. First season update shouldn't be too long in coming because I can bomb through the seasons about 2 a day.

Hope that's what you're looking for in a first update. ;)

[TABLE=class: grid]

[TR]

[TD]Year[/TD]

[TD]Division[/TD]

[TD]Fa cup[/TD]

[TD]Fa Trophy[/TD]

[TD]League cup[/TD]

[TD]Johnstones Paint Trophy[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]1[/TD]

[TD]17th Blue Square South[/TD]

[TD]4thQ[/TD]

[TD]2nd Rnd[/TD]

[TD]na[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]2[/TD]

[TD]9th Blue Square South[/TD]

[TD]2nd Q[/TD]

[TD]3rd Q[/TD]

[TD]na[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]3[/TD]

[TD]2nd Blue Square South[/TD]

[TD]1st round[/TD]

[TD]3rd round[/TD]

[TD]na[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]4[/TD]

[TD]9th Blue Square Prem[/TD]

[TD]1st round[/TD]

[TD]1st round[/TD]

[TD]na[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]5[/TD]

[TD]1st Blue Square Prem[/TD]

[TD]4th round[/TD]

[TD]Winners[/TD]

[TD]na[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]6[/TD]

[TD]10th League 2[/TD]

[TD]5th round[/TD]

[TD]na[/TD]

[TD]1st round[/TD]

[TD]2nd round[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Suttonunited.png

FM11 - Sutton United FC 2014/15 Season Update - Blue Square Bet Premier - Marky Mark!

2011/12 - BSS, 1st, FA Trophy 2nd Round, BSS Champions!

2012/13 - BSP, 2nd, FA Cup 1st Round, FA Trophy 4th Round, Lost in BSP Playoff Final

2013/14 - BSP, 14th, FA Cup 1st Round, FA Trophy 1st Round

2014/15 - BSP, 16th, FA Cup 2nd Round, FA Trophy Winners!

46 Pld, 15 Won, 16 Drn, 15 Lst, 56 For, 75 Ag, -19 GD, 61 Pts

League / Domestic Cups

My 3rd season in the BSP was another struggle, and by Christmas I had dropped into the relegation zone, which was a real worry! I managed to pick up the form a bit in the second half of the season, and even get some game time into some of my 19-20 year olds, but finished up a disappointing 16th, my lowest finish in the BSP yet!

2015 League Table and Graph

However, there was on highlight this season, and that is the team's performance in the FA Trophy where, after 2 replays, and a penalty shootout win in the semi final, I made the FA Trophy final against Gainsborough, who were 17th in the BSP. The final was a close game, but my boys finally managed to find some form, and in front of 22,263 people, they won 3-1 to take home the FA Trophy!

2015 FA Trophy Final

Star Players

Fan's Player of the Year - Oliver Nicholas

23 year old Eritrean defender Nicholas was once again the shining light in an otherwise ordinary squad, taking home the Fan's Player of the Year award for the 3rd time in the past 4 seasons, with 8 goals, 3 assists and 9 MoM at 7.26 from 47 appearances - the only player to average over 7 this season. He now has interest from clubs around the world, but seems happy to extend his contract each year, so I should be able to hold on to him for a while longer.

Most Promising U18 Player - Paul McGowan

Whilst several of my 19 and 20 year olds got quite a bit of game time, the U18s didn't get much of a look in. 18 year old striker McGowan only made one substitute appearance, however it was in the 2nd leg of the FA Trophy Semi-Final, and the young striker managed to score 2 goals in 40 minutes to keep Sutton United in the game. Whilst his attributes are nothing special, I simply have to give him a bit more game time next season given how he performed in the one opportunity I gave him this season

2015 Seasonal Best XI and Overall Best XI

Finances / Facilities

Despite stellar cup runs, which saw me reach the 3rd Round of the FA Cup and win the FA Trophy, the side only made a profit of $60k, to bring the total balance up to a poultry 120k - no where near what is needed to improve the facilities. I fear that the only way I'll make enough profit to improve the facilities is to earn promotion to League 2, but the only way to earn promotion to League 2 is to get decent youth players... a vicious cycle.

2015 Finances

Pitch Conditions: Very Poor

Training Facilities: Adequate

Youth Facilities: Basic

Youth Recruitment: Basic

Another season of mediocrity, however I was able to give some of my younger players some game time, and expect them to challenge for a spot in the starting XI next season, so hopefully that can bring some much needed improvement to the team's performance next season!

New Club Records

Most Games Without Winning: 12 - 7.3.2015 to 21.4.2015

Most League Apps for Club: Kevin Scriven - 227

Most League Goals for Club: Martin Reilly - 87

Oldest Player: Uriel Trustfull - 37 years 187 days (v Gainsborough (N) FA Trophy Final 9.5.2015)

Youngest Goalscorer: Paul McGowan - 17 years 344 days (v Altrincham (H) FA Trophy Semi Final 21.3.2015)

Unknown Hacker- welcome to the challenge and a good choice in Carshalton. Good luck and hopefully you can keep them up.

marky mark- Unlucky to drop down the table after a great first season in the BSP. I'm tipping you for promotion next season ;)

First season completed at Chester

Chester - Blue Square North (1st season) - Season 2012/2013

Team Achievements

Blue Square north WINNERS and Graph

FA Cup: 4th Q Round

FA Trophy: 1st Round

Players Achievements

Player of the Month September

Player of the Month November

Personal Achievement

Manager of the Year

Finances/ Facilities

Total loss of 116k

Pitch:very poor

Training Facilities: Fairly Basic

Youth Facilities: Basic (Rented)

Proof of no cheating

BadgeNorthwich_Victoria.png

Northwich Victoria - Blue Square North - 2013/2014

League - We started off very well and were actually in 1st at one point but then we got inconsistent and just fell short of the play-offs.

FA Cup - Couldn't replicate last years feats.

FA Trophy - Better then last year

Key Players

Top Goalscorer - Leighton McGivern - 20 Goals

Player of the Year - Jerry Nnamani

Youth Intake

Lots of Potential this year with 5 of them getting tags, a much improved intake from last year.

YP3 - AM© - The best out of the lot with regards ability, might have to make a position for him in the team next year. 5* Potential

YP4 - M®,AM(RL),ST - A much needed right winger who is also very versatile. 5* Potential

YP5 - GK - The Assisant reckons he's better than YP1 so should get some games next year. 5* Potential

YP6 - DM,M© - He Strengthens the middle of the park and gives me a creative option there. 5* Potential

YP7 - DC - Has got good stats already, so he could feature next season. 5* Potential

Youth Tags

YP1 - He got a lot of games this season, because I wanted to develop him. He did alright but I think YP5 might take his place next season.

YP2 - He improved massively and was tutored to great effect. He only got 12 games but can hopefully keep developing into my starting LB.

Transfers

thnx Ri, i know it's going to be hard i just hope to stay up.

I think my current tactic isn't gonna cut it in BSP, gonna try the first few games and see how i works out, but i'll probbly have to change tactics

Unknown Hacker- welcome to the challenge and a good choice in Carshalton. Good luck and hopefully you can keep them up.

Looking quite easy 1/2 way through the season. My kamikaze tactic wasn't so great as we just kept drawing 0-0. Then I changed the tactics and made them a bit more adventurous, started pumping the long ball a little bit and telling my players to get stuck in and now we are closer to the playoffs on boxing day...

OK guys, I got a bit over-anxious to sign a particular intake player called Jack Maguire and accidentally made a bid for him. He started his career in my youth intake anyway so it shouldn't matter but I just thought I'd let everyone know that that is why his name appears in the transfers tab...

EDIT: Never mind. False alarm. :)

Archived