Ri916's FM 12 Youth Academy Challenge!

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

bit of a strange update on my hendon in their first season in L2, were currently top after 14 games 30pts. leke ndah last years top striker with 40 goals is out for 5 months after the first 7 games, but my back ups are on fire. i dont expect it to last. also my best goalie is constantly on international duty with eritrea. currently on 4 full caps :)

well i got a team and gonna try to get the tactic right now, not easy as i'm not a tactical genius
Well if you aren't then without name dropping the is a thread in the tactics forum that gives you a good simple start-up tactics for High, Middle and Low teams.

Suttonunited.png

FM11 - Sutton United FC 2012/13 Season Update - Blue Square Bet Premier - Marky Mark!

2011/12 - BSS, 1st, FA Trophy 2nd Round, BSS Champions!

2012/13 - BSP, 2nd, FA Cup 1st Round, FA Trophy 4th Round, Lost in BSP Playoff Final

46 Pld, 26 Won, 9 Drn, 11 Lst, 110 For, 76 Ag, +34 GD, 87 Pts

League / Domestic Cups

After promotion from the BSS last season in my first attempt I was expecting the worst this season, but it seems I had nothing to worry about, as I was in the top 5 for virtually the whole season, and ended up spending most of the 2nd half of the season in 2nd place, with a comfortable gap from 3rd place, but never quite able to catch first place Wrexham, who ended up running away with the league.

That said, I was confident heading into the Playoffs, with the Semis putting me up against 5th placed Aldershot, who I beat 3 times already this season. Surprisingly, I was convincingly outplayed in the away leg, but still managed to walk away with a respectable 2-2 draw. I had a lot more of the ball in the home leg, but both team failed to score in 90 minutes. I manged to get ahead in the 91st minute, but then Aldershot equalised in the 101st minute, so it came down to penalties, which thankfully I won - and was now one game away from consecutive promotions.

The Playoff Final saw me up against 4th placed Cheltenham, who I beat 7-2 a month ago, and I was feeling good about my chances. However, the game did not go to plan, with Cheltenham dominating the match, and running away deserving 2-1 winners, condemning Sutton Utd to another season in the BSP. Despite being the 2nd best side all season, sadly the side couldn't perform when it counted.

2013 League Table and Graph

BSP Playoff Final

Star Players

With my inherited side blitzing the BSS, I decided to go with an unchanged lineup this season (meaning my U18 players again got minimal game time), but two of my inherited players in particular stood out:

BSP Top Goalscorer / Shortlisted for BSP Player of the Season / Fan Player of the Season - Martin Reilly

Whilst 26 year old striker Reilly doesn't have amazing attributes, he just manges to score goals and consistently outscoring his fellow striker. With 37 goals and 14 assists at 7.38 from 53 games, he now holds the record for most league goals for the club with 61 goals.

My player of the Season - Oliver Nicholas

The 21 year old central defender and Eritrea captain keeps on improving, and in my opinion is the best player in the team - if he can keep improving then I'm confident that the team can continue to perform well. Managed 6 goals and 3 assists at 7.16 from 48 appearances, as well as 5 international appearances for minnows Eritrea. Unfortunatly, there are now a couple of clubs interested in him, and I have received my first offer, but with 4 years to go on his contract, I'm not too worried yet.

Best U18 Player - Gary White

Once again, due to the performances of my initial squad, I didn't give my U18 players much of an opportunity, and 17 year old right back White was again the only U18 player to make an appearance for the senior side. His attributes are nothing flash, and neither were his match statistics - 18 games at 6.88. Sadly, my coaching staff still think he is the best U18 prospect, so I'm really hoping for a good batch of youngsters next season.

2013 Seasonal Best XI and Overall Best XI

Finances

Aside from the success on the field, the season was also a success off the field, with the side posting a $600k profit! Whilst this sounds good, the reality is that this profit was only made due to 2 matches - an away FA Cup match against League 1 Norwich (20,000 attendance), and the Playoff Final (38,000 attendance).

2013 Finances

Despite the profit this season, the board was still not willing to upgrade the facilities, or even turn professional, prefering to remain semi-professional, although the good news is that the Chairman is looking to sell the club - here's hoping for a tycoon takeover!

Training Facilities: Adequate

Youth Facilities: Basic

Youth Recruitment: Basic

New Club Records

Highest League Position: 2nd in Blue Square Bet Premier

Highest Gate Receipts: $75,000 v Aldershot Blue Square Bet Premier Playoff Semi Final 14.5.2013

Average Attendance: 2,058

Biggest Defeat: 0 - 5 v Norwich (H) FA Cup 1st Round 21.11.2012

Highest Scoring Game: 4 - 5 v Macclesfield (A) Blue Square Bet Premier 6.11.2012

Highest Scoring League Game: 4 - 5 v Macclesfield (A) Blue Square Bet Premier 6.11.2012

Most Games Won in Row: 7 - 17.4.2012 to 25.8.2012

Most Games Without Losing: 12 - 31.3.2012 to 4.9.2012

Top Goalscorer: Martin Reilly - 37

Top League Goalscorer: Martin Reilly - 32

Most Goals in Match: Cherno Samba - 4 (7 - 2 Cheltenham (H) Blue Square Bet Premier 19.2.2013)

Most Man of Match: Martin Reilly - 10

Most League Apps for Club: Sam Gargan - 149

Most League Goals for Club: Martin Reilly - 61

Oldest Goalscorer: Uriel Trustfull - 35 years 126 days (v Rushden (A) Blue Square Bet Premier 9.3.2013)

Mark - Unlucky, looks like you deserved to be promoted there. Next season then! ;)

Drew - Well done on staying up. That's got to be the aim for the first season then maybe mid-table and if lucky promotion the next.

Just something I've been trying. If a youth player is performing well in the youth squad (Last 5 match rating high) I assume their form is high so I put them on the bench of my first team. If they perform well then I keep playing them, anyone else do this or just me? Here's the best result I've had so far:

Malcolm Jones

Not a world class player as you can see but from his stats you can see he has scored 5 times in 6 starts. Not bad eh? Remember though, Form is temporary, class is permanent so don't rely on it!

Youth intake v.soon!

Yeah. I may just put out a team of youngsters for Q3 this season, as I was having to make 3 or 4 changes for nearly every match. Out of the 2 cups, I much prefer a half decent run in the FA Cup, as you get better prize money and more people through the gates. 2nd round will do me, as that will generate quite a bit of money.

Hmm, I guess the game has been reading my mind. I'm through to the first round of the FA Cup (got a tough match away to Telford though), but in the FA Trophy, it's given me a very tough away match to Halifax in Q3. No shame in losing there :D

Just something I've been trying. If a youth player is performing well in the youth squad (Last 5 match rating high) I assume their form is high so I put them on the bench of my first team. If they perform well then I keep playing them, anyone else do this or just me? Here's the best result I've had so far:

Malcolm Jones

Not a world class player as you can see but from his stats you can see he has scored 5 times in 6 starts. Not bad eh? Remember though, Form is temporary, class is permanent so don't rely on it!

Youth intake v.soon!

I started with just playing 1 or 2 from the start, but last season I changed completely, releasing several original players and replacing nearly the entire 11 with youth players. It did set us back in the league, finishing 18th, but we have been reaping the rewards this season, as you will find out very soon on my mid-season update :)

I've made a mistake...I signed my 3 Youth Products before all the others got automatically signed...my history now say that I have bought 3 players..

How does that work? :S

[Edit] I get it :D Says 32 players on mine, but they don't automatically sign anyway do they? :S The ones I don't sign just leave.

well i'm at chester now and my home form is great (P 5 W 5 GD +12), but my away form is awfull (P 5 W 1 L 4 -3)

Still tweeking my tactics and shouts but looking promissing i hope i can keep it up

[Chester] Mid-Season Update - League 2 [second Season]

npower League 2

Last Season Recap

Last year, we finished 18th in the league due the a major overhaul in personel! I removed almost all of the old guard (the originals) and replaced them with my YP's and also the other youth players that didn't make it for a YP tag. This meant that our players just weren't good enough for the league, but after a late surge in the last month of the season, we managed to secure our spot for this years npower League 2.

This Season

This season has been absolutely amazing, with Brett Smart and Eric Davidson appearing on the scene from our last youth intake in March, we have been unstoppable! I changed the tactics this season with a view to using my attacking talent to the full and it has worked amazingly! As you can see from the League Table, we are unbeaten, alongside this seasons rivals Port Vale! We are both running away with the league right now, but it's only a matter of time before one of us loses, it's inevitable... I think it could come down to our reverse match, after drawing our first 1 - 1.

We play a 4 - 1 - 2 - 2 - 1 formation, with a DM, 2 CM's, RW, LW and an ST

We have several options for the RW and LW, whilst we have Christian Walsh YP05 who is an out and out striker, so this tactic fits perfectly with the squad.

Squad Stats

I start my games with usually with Brett Smart on the right, Gary Beckford on the left and Christian Walsh up front. If things aren't going well, then I substitute Walsh, put Beckford or Smart up front and bring on either Petrillo or Pope. If Pope or Petrillo aren't available, I use Jordan Whitfield. Eric Davidson didn't start the season, but after a while picked up the MC spot and has made it his own with a massive 13 assists in just 18 games!!!

BRING ON THE 2ND HALF!

Amazing! Keep up the good work! :thup:

And a quick update about my Northwich season ....

17 games into the 2018/19 season now, and we're in 3rd, just 2 points behind the leaders (FC Halifax). Apart from the opening day of the season, we haven't been out of the top 6 so far (just 1 brief blip), and there is a gap builing between us and 4th place.

Oh, and Stalybridge have had 10 points deducted as well now after going into administration, bring the total upto 4 teams!

Of the 4, Hereford have come out of administration, but the other 3 are struggling badly ....

Stalybridge have debts of £1.6m, Stockport £1.4m, but the grand prize goes to Port Vale who have a whopping £3.7m debt!

Gives me an idea actually, creat a spin-off save from the Youth challenge, take over Port Vale and see if I can get them back onto a sound financial footing ....

EDIT :: So much for putting out a weak team and throwing my FAT Q3 match against Halifax. I made 9 changes, oldest player was 19, and they still won 2-1 ....

are you guys noticing a increase in the quality of your new-gens or are the overall quality of the group you get every season staying about the same but with a few players better? is there any advantage of using home grown players like more commited to the club etc?

are you guys noticing a increase in the quality of your new-gens or are the overall quality of the group you get every season staying about the same but with a few players better? is there any advantage of using home grown players like more commited to the club etc?

They definitely improve, that comes from improving you junior coaching and youth recruitment, but not sure about loyalty. Most of them have me as their favoured personnel so that could be more committed.

I'm in trouble .....

Just seen a note about whether or not Northwich are going to offer me a new contract at the end of the season ....

My seasons expectations were, mid table finish, Q4 of the FA Cup and round 1 of the FA Trophy.

So far, I'm top on goal difference, with 2 games in hand, lost to Chesterfield in the 2nd round of the FA Cup, and I face Chorley in the 2nd round of the FA Trophy.

Anyway, I asked for a new contract, and the board refused, on the grounds that my job performance hasn't been good enough so far this season! :eek:

Im very embarrassed to say that I'm behind on the league table. so instead of trawling through the thread I thought I would just ask everyone to make a post that says:

-who you are managing

-How many seasons you have completed

-Your current division

I'm sorry for getting behind but I just cant keep up with the number of updates some people manage to get in looking at nobody *cough* drew *cough* :D

Drew. Lowestoft Town. League One. 2022/23

Table - Meh, just like last season, we were doing quite well until about December time and we fell apart, but we managed to get a few wins in the closing games to take us to mid-table.

Squad

Glen Franks YP4 done well, nothing special but solid enough.

Ollie Driver YP5 again nothing special, hasn't progressed as much as I'd hoped, will probably be nothing more than a squad member next season.

Christian Frew YP6 like Driver, nothing special, done well when I used him in a AMC position, but he was more of a centre mid for most of the time.

Kenny Stockwell YP7 despite being able to play across the back four Kenny was mostly used as a sub, will be nothing more than a squad member next season.

Luke Southgate YP9 was sent out on loan, came back, but was used as a sub and unable to establish himself in the side.

Ollie Hooper YP10 has been great since making the step up, probably one of if not my only bright spark this season.

Ben Evans YP11 done okay, didn't get as much goals as he could have got, but he will only improve.

Finances I am screwed.

Proof I haven't cheated

Year   Season   League   Final Position  Wins   Draws   Losses   For   Against   GD   Pts
 1    2012/13    BSS         9th         18      9       15     50       45     +5    63
 2    2013/14    BSS         4th         23     10        9     59       37     +22   79
 3    2014/15    BSS         3rd         20     16        9     50       40     +10   76
 4    2015/16    BSS         1st         21     17        4     64       37     +27   80
 5    2016/17    BSP        10th         15     18       13     55       45     +10   63
 6    2017/18    BSP        17th         14     14       14     45       57     -12   56
 7    2018/19    BSP         1st         24     17        5     67       42     +25   89
 8    2019/20	   L2         5th         22     10       14     59       49     +10   76
 9    2020/21     L2         1st         23     19        4     59       36     +23   88
10    2021/22     L1        19th         11     18       17     51       60     -9    51
11    2022/23     L1        16th         13     18       15     51       57     -6    57

Drew- An average season but looking at the quality of your players I am amazed at how you are managing to keep them in the division (or possibly better next season ;)). What standard does your staff rate your best players eg. Decent league one, good league two ect.?

Drew- An average season but looking at the quality of your players I am amazed at how you are managing to keep them in the division (or possibly better next season ;)). What standard does your staff rate your best players eg. Decent league one, good league two ect.?

They're mostly decent/good league one players, with the potential to be good/leading championship players, I just need the time and facilities to improve them so they can fufill their potential.

jcoll, don't make the mistake I made, and let all the contracts expire at the end of July!

I ended up with a squad of 17 players ....

haha, i've renewed most of their contracts, some don't want to renew though. Got a squad of around 25 though, so i'm sorted.

Hastingsunited.jpg

Hastings United - Blue Square South - 2013/2014

League Table - We improved! admittedly it was from 17th - 15th but it's a positive.

FA Cup - Much better this year, again we faced Dover, I hope we don't have to face them every year, we managed to get to third round where we lost 5-2 against Plymouth.

FA Trophy - We did well in this competition aswell, even though we were in 3 replays, and lost the last replay in the 4th Round against Fleetwood Town.

Squad - The squad isn't so top heavy now, I'll hopefully go for a 10th place finish next season.

Key Players:

Joe Barney (D C/R) - again he had the highest average rating in the team.

Jason Tillen (YP1) - He was the top scorer, but he was also very inconsistent with 2 goal droughts of over 10 hours, he ended up with 19 goals in 49.

Season      Division          Position     Achievements
2012/13   Blue Square South     17th         Survived
2013/14   Blue Square South     15th        FA Cup 3rd Round, FA Trophy 4th Round

-Who you are managing - Hastings United

-How many seasons you have completed - 2

-Your current division - Blue Square South

Archived