MikeMagnum's Alternate MLS/North America 2.0 Level 8

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

toying around with a few ideas to see if this is something i want to tackle again...question. If I had a league of 36 teams, 2 groups with 18 teams each, is it possible to set play-offs with each individual group, and have the two finalist from each group play each other? I have successfully set up play-offs with the 2 groups, but no final between the two winners. How do you do this? pointing me to an example file so I can atleast backwards engineer my answer would be decent enough help, and maybe...maybe kick start another go at this.

toying around with a few ideas to see if this is something i want to tackle again...question. If I had a league of 36 teams, 2 groups with 18 teams each, is it possible to set play-offs with each individual group, and have the two finalist from each group play each other? I have successfully set up play-offs with the 2 groups, but no final between the two winners. How do you do this? pointing me to an example file so I can atleast backwards engineer my answer would be decent enough help, and maybe...maybe kick start another go at this.

Absolutely,

Stage 0 would be your group stage. In individual group rules set the qualification to each playoff e.g. group index 0 set Eastern Conference (or whatever), in group 1 set "Western Conference"

Stage 1 could be "Eastern Conference" - get teams qualified for "Eastern Conference" from stage 0. In fate settings qualify winner of Eastern playoff to main final. Stage 2 "Western Conference" would be identical just getting teams for "Western Conference"

Stage 2 would be grand final.

If you load the editor, add nation rules for USA and then convert to Advanced Rules you'll see how the MLS is coded (although the code is not complete but its a good place to start.)

Absolutely,

Stage 0 would be your group stage. In individual group rules set the qualification to each playoff e.g. group index 0 set Eastern Conference (or whatever), in group 1 set "Western Conference"

Stage 1 could be "Eastern Conference" - get teams qualified for "Eastern Conference" from stage 0. In fate settings qualify winner of Eastern playoff to main final. Stage 2 "Western Conference" would be identical just getting teams for "Western Conference"

Stage 2 would be grand final.

If you load the editor, add nation rules for USA and then convert to Advanced Rules you'll see how the MLS is coded (although the code is not complete but its a good place to start.)

MLS rules do not use Individual Group rules within the Group Stage (Stage 0). MLS is pretty much hardcoded in the game and I believe use rankings to determine playoff seeding. Looking at MLS rules wouldn't really help any for setting up the playoffs. I've played around with MLS rules quite a bit. If you replace all of the MLS teams with non-MLS teams and keep the rules in place, it will not work - the playoff teams will not be drawn. You would need to set the Individual Group rules like you said and qualify teams to Stage 1 and 2. I would set the playoffs up exactly the same manner as you mentioned.

Mike - I'd be happy to take a look at your file if you'd like to send me a PM or email me your file. I'm pretty sure I could get it working for you.

Looking forward to this. Take your time and make it legendary. One of my big saves is going to be training young US athletes, making sure they reach their potential and preparing them for the USMNT team, all while being the USMNT Head guy and bring the US to the top. starting while their 15-16 is my goal and I need access to lower leagues like you will be putting together, so I am looking forward to it.

Thank you for making an enjoyable re-playable gaming exp.

I left Hickory Heat after getting them promoted to the NASL in 2023 (they were originally a division 8 amateur club when I first took over. Nostalgia :( )

After that I wanted to get a break from the whole hoopla of American Soccer. So I took a job as Nigerian National Team manager. After 3 years of lack luster (mediocre at best) results - I journeyed home and took on the FC Buffalo spot (they of the NASL outfit). After 4 years of amazing results - I finally got the team over the hump and into the MLS (only the 3rd originally NASL team to do so).

My budget is no where near what teams like the Sounders and Galaxy have to play with, but if I make the playoffs or get a top 10 finish its a job well done.

Currently trying to shock the world and take the MLS. Would love to win the NAOC as well. I've won every other title (regular season, league cup, state, national, etc).

After that I am going to try and lead America to a World Cup championship ..... if I can get the job.

I'll post some pics someday and show you my stats. Been a nice journey.

Edit: And yes you read that correctly - Hickory Heat went from a Division 8 bottom feeder to NASL newbies in under 10 years. I destroyed the lower leagues.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Does anyone know how the World Cup host is picked in the game? I've been playing this edit for the better part of two years now (two years in RL - about 30 years in-game). Anyway, America is still getting the shaft here, even with the huge pyramid setup via this edit.

I mean.....Mexico just got the host bid:thdn:

Is there some sort of algorithm that dictates a host nation in the game?

Does anyone know how to get a hold of mikemagnum? I manually entered all information into the FM2014 editor to recreate most of this database and added a level 9 to this as well. It is working as I am playing it at the moment and have sent him an email asking permission to put it on the site as I basicly used the information he had in his 2012 database.

Once I do get permission I will upload the file. Setup is exactly the same as described in the first post of this thread by Mikemagnum with an additional level 9 + cups.

I hope so too, his last activity was in february though

And his last post in this thread in December 2013. Shouldn't there be some sort of statute of limitations applied here? If he hasn't been active in this forum in four months, it's all fair game, don't you think?

Shoot. If this gets released I'll have my self a moral dilemma.

I've been playing this edit for two years and have quite a history (only one save the entire time).

Is FM14 THAT much better than FM12? If so, I'll only make the jump if this edit carries over.

Here is the remake for the mikemagnums 2012 Alternate MLS/North America database. I want to thank Mikemagnum for all the information that was available in his 2012 file and all credits go to him for this. I wished that he would have been online here in the last past weeks so I actually could have got actual permission to release this file but hopefully he will be happy that his work continues in this latest edition of FM. Everything that was in the FM2012 file or as close to everything as possible is included in this release.

As addition to this there is an extra level (9) added which contains 16 regional leagues with its own cups. All these regions are from the state of Kentucky and feed into the Appalachian league (8). Its very hard to get promoted out of these leagues as there are only 4 promotion places out of the 16 leagues.

Enjoy.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/e6qlmodrbelhpav/Usa+pyramid+level+9+complete+2.1+release+ready.xml

No I haven't done anything with the players. That would have been too much work. I don't care for anyone else to edit this file to include this though. I released it for the community to play with. I started out recreating this DB purely for myself as the 2012 version blew me away and I wanted the same experience in FM2014 as it wasn't the same without it! lol

Yeah! The wait is finally over! Thanks Golden eagles for this file.

And kudos for your diligence in trying to get permissions from the mods and mikemagnum before releasing.

I can't wait to get home from work tonight to start a new career!

That is also the main reason for me to release this updated DB in Mikemagnums FM2012 thread as he put so much work into creating the original file I still feel kind of bad that I had to release this without being able to have talked to him first. But believe me I tried! This way he will still get proper credits for the work he put in his file as well.

the sub rules for All-American Division 2 are 3 from 5 instead of 3 from 7

Would it be possible to divide up the Kentucky Regional leagues to feed into the other amateir leagues. I like the idea of the whole thing I feel like the leagues should be more diverse than Kentucky entirely representing Kentucky High Schools. The schedules are unbalanced that that level as well. One league plays 24 games and there are a few that only play 7.

I've added databases to FM in the past, but not understanding how to get this in the game. I'm sure it's easy, and it's just me, but when I download the file, it's of course in XML format, but the databases in the editor data are in dbc format? How do I get this database properly added to FM2014? Thanks in advance for your help!

Yes its possible to feed the level 9 leagues into the different level 8 leagues but I didn't do this due to the fact that the Kentucky teams that were placed in one of the other leagues had to travel a lot more then what would be realistic. Which league has the 24 games in level 9? that might sound like something that needs to be corrected.

In level 9 every team is supposed to play each other 1 time, then after that the league should split in half. Sounds to me that in that specific league the teams play each other twice before the split.

I can release another version apart from this one where the leagues will feed into all the different level 8 leagues if more people would prefer this.

Yes its possible to feed the level 9 leagues into the different level 8 leagues but I didn't do this due to the fact that the Kentucky teams that were placed in one of the other leagues had to travel a lot more then what would be realistic. Which league has the 24 games in level 9? that might sound like something that needs to be corrected.

In level 9 every team is supposed to play each other 1 time, then after that the league should split in half. Sounds to me that in that specific league the teams play each other twice before the split.

I can release another version apart from this one where the leagues will feed into all the different level 8 leagues if more people would prefer this.

Regions 6 and 11 are the divisions that I am talking about, besides those two there are divisions that play. The number of teams in each division is not consistent in any way which is not a bad thing, it just drives me away from taking over a team that only has 15 league matches.

I totally get why level nine only feeds in to the Atlantic Amateur divisions and I dont have a problem with it at all. It is just a personal request that I was inquiring about. Just to expand the area that level nine draws teams from. So like instead of being just Kentucky based teams teams would be from other states as well. There would be multiple regional level nine division feeding into their appropriate amateur pyramid. It is something that I can work in in the editor myself since it will be a lot of work and it is more of a personal thing so you dont have to worry about doing it if you dont want to.

the regions have different numbers because that is an exact copy of how it is in real life. I know what you say about the leagues that don't have too many teams thus less games. This can be solved by going into the editor and change the amount of games the teams play eachother from 1 to 2.

I don't mind anyone else picking up different states and add it to this database as that would definitely enrich the game so much more! As I reside in Kentucky at the moment I just added the Kentucky teams to create my own personal level 9 to make it more interesting. To add the other states would probably keep me busy until FM2015 comes out and keeps me from playing this version! lol

the regions have different numbers because that is an exact copy of how it is in real life. I know what you say about the leagues that don't have too many teams thus less games. This can be solved by going into the editor and change the amount of games the teams play eachother from 1 to 2.

I don't mind anyone else picking up different states and add it to this database as that would definitely enrich the game so much more! As I reside in Kentucky at the moment I just added the Kentucky teams to create my own personal level 9 to make it more interesting. To add the other states would probably keep me busy until FM2015 comes out and keeps me from playing this version! lol

IF that was the way that you intended it to be then I have no worries. I know that it would be a lot of work to do, on top of creating teams from scratch you would have to work out the state specific cups as well.

I might take a look at what I can do to draw up some realistic regional division for your level nine. So the level eight leagues are being ged from a larger area of the country. I would still make it pretty hard to get out though since that is appealing to me. Maybe I will even make it myself.

It is awesome though. This is my favorite FM database of all time and it is awesome to have it back again. I am going to be taking The Colonels to the big leagues. I live in KY as well, I would do the Rovers but I want to take a team fro the bottom.

I remember back in FM2012 I had a long career game as well with The Colonels and really enjoyed taking them up the leagues. Fell in love with this database and really wanted that same experience in 2014.

If I had a lot of spare time I would definitely went more in depth with the level 9 as I like to go from bottom to top as well, and the lower the league the more fun it is for me. I had some experience with high school soccer here in Kentucky as I was one of the assistant coaches for Johnson Central (region 15) so it didn't take long for me to decide to use the high school teams as the level 9 "feeder" for the Appalachian league.

Archived