MikeMagnum's Alternate MLS/North America 2.0 Level 8

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Where does the MLS stand in the footballing world in this alternative reality?? Is the MLS up to par with the Premier League in England or La Liga; or more towards the middle of leagues? I would really like to play the MLS if they were a middle of the pack league, than a power house like the Spanish and English leagues.

Starts to the equivalent with the championship league in England, a little better rep, but teams are still significantly less then the big euro teams. I'm in year 5 with fc Dallas and just stunned Barcelona in the first round of the world football challenge, so you can definitely build a powerful squad

Starts to the equivalent with the championship league in England, a little better rep, but teams are still significantly less then the big euro teams. I'm in year 5 with fc Dallas and just stunned Barcelona in the first round of the world football challenge, so you can definitely build a powerful squad

Ok sounds good. Yeah I want to build the squad up to the best in the world as supposed to being the best from the get go. I will test this out, think I'll start off with a lower league team. Too bad my city doesn't have a soccer team, guess I'll just have to make a team.

• 3 months later...

No doubt, if I have time. I hope its a lot easier for me to do this year. Thanks for playing...I'm strangely still playing this. I'm in 2022 with FC Dallas, with our claim to fame being that we won the World Football Challenge in year 2018 running through Real Madrid, Bayern, Barcelona, and Manchester Utd. in the final

• 3 weeks later...

i love this edit so much! I play it all the time - year 4 right now with the Hickory Heat - and I plan to play this for a long time.

Only suggestion would be to create my favorite real life team - NPSL Detroit City FC

Le Rogue!

Thanks again, Mike - this edit has provided much enjoyment, and some frustration too :D

Mike,

Where in the editor did you add the nations (puerto rico , etc..) to count as domestic?

Also, have you ever been able to reproduce the Voyagers cup and still have the winner proceed to NACL?

Thanks

• SI Staff

Just wanted to point any America/Canada based players to www.FMNorthAmerica.com where we're starting work on another massive accurate expansion of the US/Canadian soccer pyramid. This will be our first attempt since 2009 (FM10). Looking for helpers too.

all you have to do to add non domestic teams into the fold is just to add them to the league I thought. Either that or change the nation, but keep the city the same. as far as changing champions league entrants, thats where got confusing, so i never really touched any of that. Man, its been a long time since i dug into the editor! Thanks for those who played, probably won't be doing one this year...still early you never know, but I've been sooo busy. If there are enough people who want me to create something again this year, than I probably couldn't resist.

the schedule gets ridiculous - my team plays a game every 3 days for about 2 months.

(Old North Cup, ACD2 League, and North American Open)

the state cups were an awesome touch and creates a nice rivalry - i HATE getting drawn with Will Reserves, those ******** have bounced me out of the cup three years running- i think i'll have my revenge this year though.

My only question Mike is how does one get to be in the North American Open Cup?

My first two years I played qualifying games but lost though I gained promotion back to back years, all of a sudden year 3 I got the invite to play in group games which I didn't advance past.

Year 4 I am again playing in the North American Open Cup Group Stage, however, I didn't win any cups or even get promoted last year ( was a transition year for the squad ).

I also never played in the amateur open cup, as i believe there is one of those too, despite the fact that Hickory Heat started as a little Division 8 amateur squad.

• 2 weeks later...

i've been really busy with work, and considering I haven't even bought 2013 yet, it's doubtful. But who knows, I may decide to go crazy again and lose hour after hour by the start of the new mls season! any new ideas for changes to get me close to motivated would probably encourage me again lol. thanks for playing.

dan: I designed the north american open cup to include every team being entered automatically. With I believe only level 8 teams being chosen for the group stage. I dont' know what your experiencing sounds kind of odd, because i remember testing that atleast. Once your past level 8 or 7 you shouldn't have to go to the group stage the way it draws teams.

oh.....weird.

its almost like its a reversal of what you said because when i was in division 7 and 8 I didn't play in group stage (it was marked as "qualifying stage), now at division 6 I am - which to some degree makes more sense to me because had I played in group stage at amateur status and appalachian division entry I'd probably have been destroyed, not that I am dominating as it is now.

Also NASL (division 2) teams do often appear in the group stages, as well as 3-5 but I have yet to see a MLS team in there. It doesn't matter either way, doesn't take away from the excitement, and I make 5k for each game I win (average 2 wins a year :p but its solid money)

My dream is to take a division 8 (Hickory Heat) team all the way to the top and I'm slowly getting there, but man, it gets ridiculous around division 3 and nearly impossible moving from NASL to MLS. ( ONE PLAYOFF SPOT!?)

The setup is truly fantastic, like i said before, and I've shown some friends the set up because its bad ass. I really noticed how much time and effort you put into this edit (teams, locations, cups, etc).

If you wanted help on a FM 2013 edit I'd be more than willing to lend a hand with the gathering of information. As it is, I'm way to attached to my Hickory Heat now so I won't be downloading 2013 anytime soon anyway!

Also, the far ranging effects of this edit in terms of International Play should be interesting...... with so many americans now playing and now playing european style schedules I wonder if USA will have a shot at the 2022 world cup ( i say 2022 because so far the national squad is ****!)

Thanks for playing dan. The US national team does get better! I'm heading into the summer of 2022 and Qatar is around the corner with US ranked in the top 10. My MLS team can compete with almost about anyone in transfer signings. A lot of teams are starting to build bigger stadiums too, Galaxy have a 50,000 seat stadium now?! Cosmos are also big. Its pretty fun, match congestion is ridiculous though, i literally have to have a A and B squad just to maintain in both league and cup competitions...definitely a challenge when half your A squad goes on international leave for a month or so...

Oh man, I'm at that point already with the match congestion and I'm still managing a division 6 semi-pro team - I notice its all back logged towards the beginning of the season, around 15 league games in the schedule starts to lessen up, especially with my poor tourney track record :o

The 2014 world cup starts in 2 weeks on my game, should be interesting to see how the national team does especially since we fired Jurgen about 6 months ago, seems kind of odd. To this point, aside from a couple surprise wins the national squad still treads water at 15th so I'm more excited for world cup '18 or '22.

Is there ever a way that I can qualify to manage the national team - again I'm a no name manager, though I have a solid league record (promotion 2 out of the first 3 years and I look good for promotion early on in season 4) I'd love to get a shot to manage the national team with a set up like this.

i've been really busy with work, and considering I haven't even bought 2013 yet, it's doubtful. But who knows, I may decide to go crazy again and lose hour after hour by the start of the new mls season! any new ideas for changes to get me close to motivated would probably encourage me again lol. thanks for playing.

dan: I designed the north american open cup to include every team being entered automatically. With I believe only level 8 teams being chosen for the group stage. I dont' know what your experiencing sounds kind of odd, because i remember testing that atleast. Once your past level 8 or 7 you shouldn't have to go to the group stage the way it draws teams.

real life comes first. I have no new ideas to entice you because I like this one so much. Maybe direct promotion at the higher level as I hated that, but understood where you came from.

being that I have not won the state tourney.....yet - i was wondering if there was a tournament that involved each of the champions from their respective state cup?

Those damn Charlotte Reserves kicked my ass again! Four years running now!

Edit: US Open Cup, alright nevermind.

Oh wow so there is absolutely no way of adding a 20th team? That kinda sucks as I wanted 20 teams.

You could recreate MLS with 20 teams but you'd lose the draft, designated players, all that stuff. FM2012 had a balanced schedule with 18 teams which was nice, but the playoffs settle it anyways so 19 teams works fine.

• 2 weeks later...
Oh wow so there is absolutely no way of adding a 20th team? That kinda sucks as I wanted 20 teams.

I have done extensive testing with this. There is a way to add a 20th team and keep the MLS rules intact (by editing the comps.dbc). But there is a slight problem, the 20th team will only get draft picks through trading with the other MLS teams.

Also found that promotion/relegation is not possible (and keep MLS rules intact).

For more info, please see this thread:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/333719-FM13-MLS-with-20-Teams-with-all-MLS-rules-intact-!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
This edit is for Football Manager 12, so that would be the first check.

Also, what is the error code say once you load it up? Does the error come up in the Editor or in the actual game when you try to import the edit?

This would iron out my issues then. Perhaps Mike should state that more clearly in his OP, that way, we avoid errors like this. ;)

• 2 months later...

Having a wonderfully exasperating time with the Wichita Flyers (my hometown) down in the amateur leagues. Nothing like football in March with blowing snow and 22 degrees! Only real problem is any player with a cumulative rating over 7 is immediately poached by a paying team (which is to be expected). I had one functional striker at 8.1 (2 out with ankle injuries, one on a 3-game ban for a monster sliding tackle), and some Minnesota team just waltzed in and took him. My scout's been in the Caribbean for most of a month and can't seem to find a single player, my board won't affiliate with a parent or feeder club. But we're in first, and I'm just trying to figure out how to play a 4-2-4-0 tactic. Brilliant work on your part, I'm annoying my wife with constant chatter about running "my team".

Hey Pod!

Nice job running the team - how have you done in the North American Open Cup? (my girlfriend was bothering the same as well, but it'll be a full year with this Edit come June so I think she sort of gets it now).

I took Hickory Heat (amateur status division 8 at the beginning) all the way to the NASL - took a while but it IS possible. (of course they got bumped down to the USL-Pro the first year I left, but they are staying strong in division 3). I was beyond proud of my club when we finally won our state cup after years of embarrassment - those Railhawks be damned!

Now I am in my 2nd year with FC Buffalo trying to make the jump to MLS. As hard as it was to take Hickory up 6 divisions its nearly impossible to get a club from NASL to MLS with only one promotion spot - and that a playoff no less.

Its 2025 and the national team still can't progress past the first round of World Cup. They can compete in the group stage well enough, but everything falls apart (still trying to snag that manager spot).

One of the great things about this edit is its depth. Every now and again some random team pops up and makes a name for itself. Even now, I still find the game exciting - challenging and new.

Also, are you dealing with match congestion yet? If I remember correctly, I really didn't notice much congestion til around division 4 when I started advancing a little through the tourney's and cups.

Now, in the NASL, my club easily plays close to 60 games a year. It gets ridiculous my 40 man squad is really just two full teams worth of players. I have my League guys and my Cup guys essentially.

Hey Pod!

Nice job running the team - how have you done in the North American Open Cup? (my girlfriend was bothering the same as well, but it'll be a full year with this Edit come June so I think she sort of gets it now).

I'm playing kind of slow (between kids and work my time is limited), but I'm into the third round, even though the game insists I have no chance of progressing.
I took Hickory Heat (amateur status division 8 at the beginning) all the way to the NASL - took a while but it IS possible. (of course they got bumped down to the USL-Pro the first year I left, but they are staying strong in division 3). I was beyond proud of my club when we finally won our state cup after years of embarrassment - those Railhawks be damned!

Now I am in my 2nd year with FC Buffalo trying to make the jump to MLS. As hard as it was to take Hickory up 6 divisions its nearly impossible to get a club from NASL to MLS with only one promotion spot - and that a playoff no less.

Its 2025 and the national team still can't progress past the first round of World Cup. They can compete in the group stage well enough, but everything falls apart (still trying to snag that manager spot).

One of the great things about this edit is its depth. Every now and again some random team pops up and makes a name for itself. Even now, I still find the game exciting - challenging and new.

I like "believable fantasy" gaming if it's accurate and challenging. No one's moved in on my players recently, but I have to think they're going to notice about half of my starting 11 soon.

Also, are you dealing with match congestion yet? If I remember correctly, I really didn't notice much congestion til around division 4 when I started advancing a little through the tourney's and cups.

Now, in the NASL, my club easily plays close to 60 games a year. It gets ridiculous my 40 man squad is really just two full teams worth of players. I have my League guys and my Cup guys essentially.

congestion is a real problem with the league and cups. It only takes a couple injuries, a suspension and some player fatigue to make a mess of the line-up. The good thing about an amateur team is you can have a 37-player roster and it doesn't cost anything. I fired my scout and hired an African with a 17 and 18 in player potential ratings, so I'm hopeful he can find someone good. Of course, I have him scouting the US because of the two foreign player limit and the fact that he couldn't find anyone to sign in 3 African nations.

WOW cool to see people still playing this...*gulp*...like I still am. Year 2028 for me. I will definitely bring it back fresh with some new ideas for FM14. Match congestion was just something that had to happen. When creating I already spent hours and hours creating the state cups, open cups, etc. etc. Scheduling them the best I could to prevent overlap, then the scheduleing of each league to prevent as much overlap as possible...oh it was a nightmare. One thing I couldn't do is have the cup entries become dynamic to where your team was in the pyramid. Those NASL Hickory Heat and Wichita Flyers shouldn't be sending there A squad into those lowly state cups anymore, or the US open cup. I can't imagine if one of those teams ever gets into CONCACAF play...oh boy, you better have a squad of 60 players to get through that schedule! lol CONCACAF sheduling can't be changed so that messes with scheduling! Play-off dates still can't be changed in FM13, hopefully they get that put in so you don't have the 2nd leg games being played 2 or 3 days after the 1st. So, with all that nonsense, it was either delete all that work of state cups, open cups, rivalry cups and have match congestion, or keep it really bland and simple at the bottom of the pyramid and all that work for nothing...I don't know if it was the best choice still, but I still peak at the 20 years history of who all have won each cup...pretty cool stuff

No please don't worry about match congestion.

Sure, having my star striker sidelined for a month due to injuries is a HUGE drag..... but man do all these cups make for a real awesome storied rivalry. Its 2025 and there are some teams I have played at least 25 times ( League, state cup, NAOC). It makes the history of the game and therefore creates all that depth I love about this edit.

Although I do have to ask - my Hickory Heat team got an invite one time to play in the Walt Disney Classic. What is that? Who gets invited and how?

I would run the EDITOR program and check for myself but I can never seem to open it up - my computer crashes every time.

My only suggestion if you ever made another one of these:

- Add my personal real life favorite semi-pro squad Detroit City Football Club!!

Archived