[FM12] Red, white, and whatever other colour your flag has - A Canadian's Global Travels

cerud

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh so close!

I know. Kind of hurts, but I'll deal with it.

From the News Ticker...

7 November 2015

In a press conference at Skilled Park today, long time manager Cerud stated his end with Gold Coast United. In recounting his career with the club, Cerud stated, "Gold Coast gave me an opportunity where no one else would and I am forever greatful for that. Together, we have made Gold Coast the top club in Australia and a contender in Asia. While I have enjoyed my time here, I feel that it is time to let another take the club to the next level. I appreciate the fans look forward to watching the future successes of the club." Cerud is still the current manager of Canada's national team. It is yet to be known if he has any club prospects lined up, but he is sure to be attached to a few before long.

2011-2015 Review

200px-Gold-coast-united.svg.png

Gold Coast United FC - Hyundai A-League

Well, my time with Gold Coast is done. I was able to improve the club statue ever year and am proud of what we were able to achieve. However, this is a journeyman save!!! Seems like I forgot that.

Here is my stats with Gold Coast...

statszq.png

Awards with Gold Coast

• 2014 - Hyundai A-League Title Winners
  • 2015 - Hyundai A-League Title Winners
  • 2014 - Hyundai A-League Grand Finals Playoff Winners
  • 2014 - Manager of the Year
  • 2015 - Manager of the Year

Next Up...

I've seen my name immediately attached to possible jobs with Antalyaspor in Turkey and FC Midtjylland in Denmark, but not as the main contender. I have a couple Canadian national friendlies this week, so I'll worry about those first and finding a domestic club second.

So close to going out on a high! Injury time goals are rubbish! :D

Good luck with the job hunt!

So close,conceding a injury time goal is the worse but overall you did fantastically well.

Thanks, AK22 and BWG. An injury time goal is a bit of a kick in the teeth, but Al-Sadd did outplay us go I can't be too upset.

In other news, I have a new job on the domestic club front! Should be posting later on tonight about it. A hint...It starts with a G...

24 November 2015

From the News Ticker...

In just over two weeks since leaving Australian club Gold Coast United, the Canadian manager Cerd has landed the top job with Genk. While not considered the top choice, it is undoubtable that his recent run in the AFC Champions League helped his cause. In speaking to the media in front of Cristal Arena, Cerud stated, "I'm absolutely thrilled to join a club with a rich pedigree. Genk has a unique history, both in Belgium and Europe. I hope to work with players and staff to reignite the club and reclaim the top spot that fans are expecting." Cerud has already got right to work. He has been interviewing assistant managers after the previous left when Frank Vercauteren was sacked just three days ago.

510000968.jpg

K Racing Club Genk - Jupiler Pro League

Well, I've signed a 2 year, $500 000 per year contract with Genk. I had been hoping that the Vancouver job may finally come open as they seemed to be annoyed with their manager; however, it looks like they're going to keep him on as he has a contract until 2018. I saw my name associated with the Genk job and thought it might be time to try my hand in Europe. I also had interest from clubs in Romania, Bulgaria, and Greece as well as the Championship League in England. However, I wanted to be sure to join a team with good finances and Genk was the only one listed as Secure.

About the Club

Koninklijke Racing Club Genk was founded in 1988 through a merger with KFC Winterslag whose history actually goes back to 1923. In joining the top flight of Belgian football in 1996-1997 season, hey have quickly established themselves as one of the best. This have come with three Jupiler Pro League titles and three Belgium Cups among other awards. While they do have experience in European competition, they have never made it out of the group stages of the UEFA Champions League.

The Stadium - Cristal Arena

3600_genk1315100906.jpg

Name: Cristal Arena

Capacity: 25 000 (22 000 seated)

Owner/Rent: Genk (We own it!!)

Facilities

Corporate: Top

Training: Top

Youth: Excellent

Junior Coaching: Good

Youth Recruitment: Well Established

Right now, the team is struggling. They are 13 matches into a 30 game season and are one rung about relegation.

leaguew.png

The squad is definitely underperforming, so that's my immediate goal.

2015-2016 Pre-season and Mid-season Update

510000968.jpg

Since I'm joining only 2 matches away from the mid-season, I thought I'd combine these two updates just to show where the club is now as I begin my tenure.

Jupiler Pro League: Will not be judging

Cofidis Cup: Will not be judging

UEFA Europa League: Will not be judging

Media Prediction: 5th of 16

Wage Budget: $18 433 543 (currently spending $18 559 712 so will need to address this)

Transfer Budget: $3 454 163

Kit Sponsorship: $1 392 003 (expires in 2016)

General Sponsorship: $122 000 (expires in 2017)

General Sponsorship: $133 000 (expire in 2019)

Standings | Past Positions | Fixtures - Only 3 wins in 13 matches. Pretty much sums up why the previous manager got fired.

Cofidis Cup - We are still in the Belgium domestic cup competition, there is still a possibility of some silverware this season.

UEFA Europa League - Remarkably, Genk made the Group Stages of the Europa League. With 2 matches still left to play, there is every possibility of going on.

europat.png

Players of Note...

Benjamin Mokulu - ST - Mokulu is the only player really standing out. He's currently tied for 9th in scoring in the league in a very tight race.

Goals for the Season (Remainder)

• Stay in the Jupiler Pro League
  • Hire decent backroom staff
  • Bring the current wages under budget.

I know a few girls who could fit the description of a KFC Winterslag :thup::D

Good luck with Genk, should be a nice job.

Good luck with Genk,hope you can get through the Group Stages.

Thanks, spotg and BWG.

Not the toughest survival battle in the world.

You would think so, but this squad is a lot worse off than I first thought. They have tons of players, but low ratings. They need a massive rebuild. I've played a few matches to far, 1 loss 3 ties. Just can't break through yet. Our tactical training is taking a long time...barely competent.

Seems to be a decent ground.

Great ground! :)

2018 FIFA World Cup CONCACAF Qualifying

concacaf-gold-cup-betting-odds.jpg

The group stage draw has come out for the 2nd round of the CONCACAF Qualifiers for the next World Cup. The groups are:

Group A

• Haita
  • Nicaragua
  • Panama
  • United States

Group B

• El Salvador
  • Jamaica
  • Mexico
  • Suriname

Group C

• Canada
  • Costa Rica
  • Curaçao
  • Honduras

In our group, the nation FIFA rankings are:

• Canada - 53rd
  • Costa Rica - 77th
  • Curaçao - 113th
  • Honduras - 70th

Honduras' rank doesn't reflect how good this team can be, but we should still qualify out of this group.

2015-2016 UEFA Europa League

Group Stage

Swansea_City_AFC-1-200-200-85-crop.gif510000968.jpg

Swansea City 2 - 2 K Racing Club Genk

The Swans took an early 2 goal league, but they got tied out in taking a red card in the 4th minute. We were able to come back and tie it up, keeping European dreams alive.

Going into this match, we had started to finally turn things around. Winning this makes it 3 in a row. We controlled the pace of the match for the most part until the final 10 minutes when Randers tried to push back. However, it was too little, too late. The win secured out spot in the later stages.

So the standings for Group K end as such:

• 9 pts - K Racing Club Genk
  • 9 pts - Swansea City
  • 8 pts - Randers FC
  • 4 pts - Fussballclub Red Bull Salzburg

I thought we had a chance, but never thought we'd finish top of the group (albiet by goal difference). We'll take it as we move on to play Panathinaikos AO from Greece in the 1st Knockout Round.

Nice work cerud topping that Europa League group. Good luck with the league (and the playoff system ;)).

Cheers, rancer! Wait...there's a playoff system in Belgium? Hmmm...ahh yes, I remember reading a save on a certain Belgian club and how unique it was... ;) Forgot about that.

Good luck with Genk! Shame that the likes of Kevin de Bruyne are not still there.

Thanks, ThatLiverpoolGuy :) Genk has fallen on hard times and severe mismanagement. They're spent over quadruple in transfers than any other team this year (over $14 million so far) and nothing to show for it except a 1st team squad over over 40 players. They needs some serious overhaul.

Thanks, deltablue. So far, so good.

2015 International Year in Review

canadian-soccer-association.jpg

Canadian National Soccer Team

FIFA World Ranking - 58th

World Rankings | Past Positions - I expected us to drop in ranking from where I joined the team. They had just won the Gold Cup, which elevated them into the low 40s, but 58 is still a good position for Canada at this stage.

Friendlies - These are the friendlies that I have managed over since the Gold Cup. We've done well; I'm particularily happy for the win against Tunisia.

friendlye.png

2016 Preview

FIFA World Cup CONCACAF 2018 Qualifiers - Reach the 4th Phase of the Qualifiers.

I was looking around at various other leagues to see how they're doing and just noticed this...

ouchj.png

ouch2t.png

They are currently playing in the Blue Square South. I don't think I have ever seen a team crash like this. And I don't think I've ever seen a team listed as bankrupt and in receivership. Crazy indeed...

Good results in Europe with Genk.Impressive victory over Tunisia with Canada and good luck in the qualifiers,it could be a bit tricky.

As for Portsmouth,that is quite shocking that they have fallen that quickly.

2015-2016 UEFA Europa League

1st Knockout Round

200px-PAOemblem.svg.png510000968.jpg

Panathinaikos AO 0 - 0 K Racing Club Genk

Very happy to take a draw away in Greece. We were outplayed pretty heavily so I was hoping that a goal either on set piece of counter attack at home would seal the deal.

Alas, it was not meant to be. Panathinaikos is the top team in Greece currently and they showed us why. It was a better match from us, but we just weren't able to capitalize on our chances. THis does it for us in the Europa League for this year, but I expect to be back soon!

Wow, that's shocking what's happened to Portsmouth. It would be fun bringing them back up to the Premier League :D

Tough luck in Europe, especially drawing away to come home for a loss.

I know! Never seen a crash that bad. Would be interesting to bring them up though. Europe was tough, but the squad needs restructuring...not too hurt to be out.

Poor Pompey... (and Canucks ;)).

Unlucky with the loss though, who knows though, just get back up the standings to midtable and maybe you can win in the playoffs. :D

Well, I grew up in Edmonton and am a diehard Oilers fan...maybe that's worse ;) Although a 3rd number one draft pick in a row...can't complain too much!

2015-2016 Playoff Update

510000968.jpg

Alright, well since Belgium football has a rather...unique playoff structure, I thought I'd add in a new update at the end of the regular season in order to show the playoff run. I'm also going to take this initial time to try and explain the playoff structure as best I can, so here it goes...

"Each of the 16 competitors in the Pro League plays each of its 15 opponents twice in the regular season, once at their home stadium and once at that of their opponents. The regular season thus comprises 30 matchdays of 8 matches each, played between July and March. A win earns three points since the 1995-96 season and a draw earns one point (no points are awarded for a loss). Teams are ranked by total points, then by total wins and finally by goal difference, number of scored goals, number of away goals and number of away wins. If teams are still level, a test-match is played in two legs to determine the final order in the standings.

A playoff phase is then played from March to May. The top 6 teams from the regular season enter the playoffs 1, with each team playing their opponents twice. The point system in the playoffs 1 is the same as during the regular season, except that each team starts with half of the points they won in the regular season. Points are rounded up to the nearest integer. At the end of the playoffs 1, the first-placed team becomes the champion of Belgium. If some teams are level in the ranking, any points added due to rounding are first withdrawn from their total points if applicable, before other criteria are taken into account. Teams ranked 7 to 14 after the regular season enter the playoffs 2, with teams ranked 7th, 9th, 12th and 14th entering the group A and teams ranked 8th, 10th, 11th and 13th entering the group B. In each group, each team plays each of its 3 opponents twice. The winner of each group plays the final game in two legs, to determine the winner of the playoffs 2. The winner of the playoffs 2 then plays a home and away game against either the fourth-placed or fifth-placed team from the playoffs 1 for the final Europa League ticket, with the opponent depending on the fact if the Belgian Cup winner ended in the top four of the playoff 1 or not.

Teams ranked 15th and 16th after the regular season enter the relegation playoff. It consists of 5 games between the 2 teams. The 15th-placed team starts the playoffs with 3 points whereas the 16th-placed team starts from zero. The loser of the relegation playoff is relegated to the second division. The winner of that playoff enters the Belgian Second Division Final Round with 3 teams from the second division. The winner of this Final Round plays in the First Division the season thereafter." (Wikipegia, 2012).

Wikipedia seem pretty self-explanatory. So, here is the update...

championv.png

We made it back up to 4th in the league standings! (More will follow in the end of year update). So we get to compete for the chance to be in European football next season. Still we are 10 points behind leaders, Standard, even after the halving of points. A 3rd place finish is definitely possible, but with 10 matches now and a few lucky scorelines....who knows?

Well, I grew up in Edmonton and am a diehard Oilers fan...maybe that's worse ;) Although a 3rd number one draft pick in a row...can't complain too much!

Don't think any team can win with 5 forwards and 1 goalie on the ice though... ;)

Good job turning it around this season. :thup:

Don't think any team can win with 5 forwards and 1 goalie on the ice though... ;)

Good job turning it around this season. :thup:

Although it seems to be working for Philly right now ;) But I definitely agree, Oilers are in desparate need of defense. Whitney can't do it himself.

Portsmouth dropping like a elephant jumping out of an aeroplane.

...into a ring of fire.

2015-2016 Youth Candidate Intake

510000968.jpg

Youth Candidates

Stil, not great youth intakes, even though my Junior Coaching is listed as Good. May need to improve that some. Still my assistant manager is happy with Juan José Sicardo.

Juan José Sicardo - D C - My assistant manager's pick will need to improve quite a lot to have a change for the first squad. His PA star rating is 3.5 stars, so hopefully he has it in him.

Fabrice Peeters - M/AM C, ST - Peeters has a 3 star PA. Better physical stats that Sicardo, but still needs improvement as well.

2015-2016 Season in Review

510000968.jpg

3rd Place - Qualified for UEFA Europa League

Standings | Past Positions | Fixtures - Genk has proven to be a very productive move for me. It took about 3 matches to gel with the squad, but gel we did. I have had to deal with several issues throughout the year, most notably prima dona players. The manager before me bought pretty much any player he could, outspending the 2nd highest spending team by almost quadruple. This has put a huge strain on finances in regards to wages and playing time for players. About every week, I had a new player complaining about not getting any playing time, but I'll talk about this later on. Suffice it to say, we climbed ot of relegation and into the Championship Stage of the Playoff where we could play for a spot in Europe.

The Playoffs - Championship Group

Standings | Past Positions | Fixtures - Our finish in the top 6 of the league meant we qualified for the Championship Group for the end of the year in Belgian football. After the halving of points, we were still 10 points behind leaders, Standard. However, after a couple of ties, we started to climb and we actually within a singe point of top spot. Unfortunately, the squad got anxious and lost 2 of the final 3 matches. We did finish in 3rd Place, improving from our league position by one. It was what I wanted in the beginning; however, to come that close to winning outright after being so low when I started...so close...

Cofidis Cup - Champions!

2cz3v42.jpg

Fixtures - Silverware in my first year! I took over for the first Standard match in the Quarter Final. This was probably going to be our toughest competition as they were leading the league. We held on and ended up with my first trophy in Belgium.

UEFA Europa League

Fixtures - I took over for the final two matches in the Group Stage. I was good to qualify out of the Group Stages, but Panathinaikos proved to be too much to go further.

Transfers - The only two players I brought in were the bottom two, Mohamed Salhi, a young midfielder, and James Brown, my top midfielder from Gold Coast. He had wanted to move to a higher level when I was still at Gold Coast and now I've been able to help him out. He's the best centre midfielder I have here now. I have also been removing players where I can. So far, I have moved 10 players out of the club and this is only the beginning.

Players of Note...

Benjamin Mokulu - ST - Mokulu is the only player I can really mention this year. He was already the team leader in goals and he continued when I showed up. He's a player that wants to move to a higher level, but I'm hoping I can hold onto him for a while yet.

Finances - Finances have taken a hit due to the spending ways of the previous manager. I'm going to need to continue chopping at the wages this team pays out as we're in the top 3 highest in the league by far.

Facilities - Love my facilities! So much better than Skilled Park at Gold Coast!

Awards

Goals Revisited

• Remain in Jupiler Pro League - Achieved. Not only did we stay in the league, we excelled!
  • Hire decent backroom staff - Achieved. Wasn't a problem but needed to be done.
  • Bring current wages under budget - Achieved. We are under the wage budget; however, I'd like them even lower.

Next Year

Still have a year on my contract with Genk and I'm not looking to move yet. I've had the media actively ask me about positions in Russia and Turkey lately, including with Zenit in St. Petersburg. Would have been interesting but I've barely started work here. I'd like to win the Jupiler Pro League at least once first.

Very promising signs.

Thanks, deltablue!

In others news...

2 June 2016

From the News Ticker...

I got the board to agree to a few improvements.

facilities.png

juniorvu.png

Very promising signs of a good and active board :)

2018 FIFA World Cup CONCACAF Qualifying

Third Phase - Group

Canada+Flag.pngcuracao_dutch_island_flag.PNG

Canada 0 - 0 Curaçao

We had one goal disallowed, but that should never have been a problem. We absolutely dominated the match, but didn`t take advantage of the situation.

I knew this would be a difficult mathc; however, having yet another goal disallowed is not really helping. Just can`t get these guys scoring...

Annnnnnnnd it happens....

As I go to save, the file corrupts. Guess my computer wasn't too happy with how I was doing with Team Canada either.....

I will starting anew...with a few changes, I think.

Archived