[FM12] Red, white, and whatever other colour your flag has - A Canadian's Global Travels

cerud

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nice to see you so dominant at the halfway point,hopefully injuries and suspensions won't affect you too much in the second half of the season.

Thanks, BWG :) I hope so too.

Montenegro in the Semi Finals of the World Cup. :D

Hooray for the minnows! :)

2015 AFC Champions League

aHR0cCUzQSUyRiUyRjMuYnAuYmxvZ3Nwb3QuY29tJTJGLVktWkRzOXdfYllrJTJGVHA0aDFjckozaUklMkZBQUFBQUFBQUNDTSUyRklPbmVVZlZFaU1ZJTJGczE2MDAlMkYyLnBuZw==

Group Stage

Alright, the preliminary rounds are all completed, so time to draw some names!

Group A

• Al Hilal (KSA) - Saudi Arabia
  • Al Sadd Sports Club - Qatar
  • Al Sharjah Sports Club - United Arab Emirates
  • Persepolis Tehran - Iran

Group B

• Al Ain Sports & Cultural Club - United Arab Emirates
  • Al-Ittihad (KSA) - Saudi Arabia
  • Nasaf Qarshi - Uzbekistan
  • Sepahan Esfahan - Iran

Group C

• Al-Ahli (KSA) - Saudi Arabia
  • Al-Gharrafa Sports Club - Qatar
  • Al-Wahda Sports Cultural Club - United Arab Emirates
  • Teraktor-Sazi Tabriz - Iran

Group D

• Al-Jazira Sports & Cultural Club (UAE) - United Arab Emirates
  • Al-Shabab (KSA) - Saudi Arabia
  • Bunyodkor Toshkent - Uzbekistan
  • Esteghial Tehran - Iran

Group E

• Chonburi FC - Thailand
  • Guangzhou Hengda - China
  • Jeju United - South Korea
  • Gamba Osaka - Japan

Group F

• Busan I'PARK - South Korea
  • Gold Coast United FC - Australia
  • Nagoya Grampus - Japan
  • Shandong Luneng - China

Group G

• Brisbane Roar FC - Australia
  • Guangzhou Fuli - China
  • Yokohama F Marinos - Japan
  • Suwon Samsung Blue Wings - South Korea

Group H

• Gwangju FC - South Korea
  • Hangzhou Nabel Greentown - China
  • Kashima Antlers - Japan
  • Persipura Jayapura - Indonesia

I know nothing about the teams in my group. Hopefully, we have a good showing!

2014-2015 Youth Candidate Intake

200px-Gold-coast-united.svg.png

Gold Coast United FC - Hyundai A-League

Youth Candidates

Ugh...I normally have bad youth intakes, but this has to be teh worst so far. MY assistant manager feels that Ivan Radenovic is the best of the crop. I could care less...

Ivan Radenovic - D/WB R - He needs a lot of improvement if he's going to have a shot.

Group Stage

2581.png200px-Gold-coast-united.svg.png

Nagoya Grampus 1 - 0 Gold Coast United FC

A fairly even match that we were expected to lose. However, our level of play give me hope that we will have a good chance against Grampus when next at home.

A great match in which we dominated. I was hoping for a better score, but the win is our first in continental football so we'll take it!

So after the first two matches, all team are tied at 3 points. We sit in second with a goal difference of zero.

Group Stage

200px-Gold-coast-united.svg.pngBusan_I_Park_Football_Club-logo-E0383414B4-seeklogo.com.gif

Gold Coast United FC 1 - 0 Busan I'PARK

Another well played match for us. However, it did take a penalty in the 88th minute to finally put this one away. Still, can't argue with a win.

Between the match against Busan and this one, we had two league matches. Apparently, the rules changed and opposition players were allowed to use knives, bats, and other implements of war, because I was left with 6 starters with injuries. Still, the depth of our squad won out and we dominated Grampus for the rematch.

So, after 4 matches, the standings of the groups stages for Group F look as follows:

• 9 pts - Gold Coast United FC
  • 5 pts - Shandong Luneng
  • 4 pts - Busan I'PARK
  • 4 pts - Nagoya Grampus

Our goalscoring hasn't been what I'd have hoped, but I know this is due to injuries. Hopefully, once players are refreshed an better, we'll be able to put a few more into the net. Until then, we'll rely on our defensive play.

Three 1-0 wins... Boring, Boring Gold Coast United :D
I just woke up...so you won that game in the end cerud? Oh you did. :p

WE WANT GOALS! :D

I'm working on it! ;)

Solid Asian results.

Cheers, deltablue. A win is a win.

Why are there only three teams in Group B?

Oops! Missed that, thanks. Corrected now.

2014-2015 Season in Review

9b80fcaa61015816563ce1ec836691f9.jpeg

1st Place - Qualified for Playoffs

Standings | Past Positions | Fixtures - Another great season for us. We actually won one more game this year, so I guess I can call it an improvement. However, I was hoping to go the season undefeated, but it was not meant to be.

A-League Finals Major Semi Final Leg 1

Central Coast Mariners 2 - 2 Gold Coast United FC

A decent away match, but we should have won. We let the Mariners get back into this match in the added time. Still, a tie away is a good position to come home to.

A-League Finals Major Semi Final Leg 2

Gold Coast United FC 1 - 0 Coentral Coast Mariners

A dominate match and we got our win.

A-League Finals Grand Final

Gold Coast United FC 1 - 2 Brisbane Roar FC

Never have I wanted to cause physical, emotional, and psychological pain to one of my own players...and my star player at that. Rozic did an ugly tackle in the 10th minute, earning himself a straight red card. We had a one goal lead by this time, but that was the turning point. By the last 10 minutes, we were actually down to 9 men as Pírez reinjured his calf, tearing it again and putting himself out for another 5 months. I won't have my best striker again...this marks about 10 months of injury in a year. Still, I blame Rozic.

Players of Note - Many great players agian this year as they continue to improve. However, here are the standouts.

Nathan Coe - GK - Coe is still improving even through he's already 30 years old. He's also our main goalkeeper for the AFC Champions League as foreign player restrictions mean I can't register Borges just yet.

Ante Rozic - D C - Even though he's in my bad books, I can't deny Rozic is a top quality player. Our most dominant player offensively and defensively this year. He connected on the end of corners, free kicks, and has a quality long shot.

Jonathan Wilmet - M/AM R, ST - Broke the record for most assists. Our new foreign Marquee player is definitely making his mark in the league.

Jhon Pírez - AM L, ST - Pírez barely played a third of the season and was still in the top five for scoring in the league. Just wish I had him the whole season.

Tahj Minniecon - ST - Pírez's replacement, Minniecon, was a great surprize. I've had him since I took over Gold Coast but never really used him. He definitely proved his worth this year, scoring the second most goals in the league.

Finances - We're making money this year, but the majority is from a chairman cash injection at the beginning of the season. Still, this month's profits are encouraging that making money is possible :)

Facilities - No changes.

Awards

Goals Revisited

• Win the A-League - Achieved. Won the A-League for the second year in a row!
  • Make the Grand Finals - Achieved. Still, disappointing not to win...
  • Make the 2nd Round of the AFC Champions League - Achieved! And we're still in!
  • Lose less money - Achieved...with reservations. Our chairman helps us out with this one.

Next Year

I signed another 1 year, $300 000 extension to my contract, mainly because I just want to finish out the AFC Champions League. I'll probably start looking for a new club once that's done as I feel that my time in Australia is coming to an end. I can look back proud in taking Gold Coast to champion status.

Group Stage

3167.png200px-Gold-coast-united.svg.png

Shandong Luneng 2 - 2 Gold Coast United FC

Shandong tied this match in the 89th minute... Annoying...

Busan outplayed us pretty heavily in the match. We have already qualified for the second round, so the team kind of quit. We're also severly hurting with injuries.

Well with the group stages now finished, our group ended up like this:

• 10 pts - Busan I'PARK
  • 10 pts - Gold Coast United FC
  • 9 pts - Shandong Luneng
  • 4 pts - Nagoya Grampus

So, we qualified and will play the Suwon Samsung Blue Wings from South Korea.

Very close in the end.
How frustrating is that! Your best player costing you the trophy!! :mad:
You were looking so good as well,god damn Rozic :mad:

Congrats on getting through the group stage of the Asian CL :thup:

Incredibly frustrating! At least the winner of the league is decided by who comes out on top of the table. The playoffs only decide who will join us in the AFC Champions League for next year. Still, winning was completely possible...AND we lost to our main rivals! Insult to injury!

Group Stage

suwon.png200px-Gold-coast-united.svg.png

Suwon Samsung Blue Wings 0 - 4 Gold Coast United FC

Domineering. Overpowering. No contest. This was a winner-take-all single match round away game. The Blue Wings were never given a chance :)

The draw for the Quarter Finals are not until August, so we will take out holidays and look to build up in the off-season.

Wow, I was a little worried after the Busan result. Not sure it's still the group stage though.

Yeah, it was the final match of the group stages. We have already qualified, so I wasn't too concerned with the loss. I chalked it down to our injuries.

Great result there :thup:.

Thanks, SRL88 :)

2015-2016 Pre-season

Hyundai A-League: Achieve a respectable position in the League

Media Prediction: 1st of 10

A-League Title Odds: 7-4

Wage Budget: $4 356 102, an increase of $511 763 (currently spending $4 033 869)

Transfer Budget: $1.86M

Kit Sponsorship: $434 574 (a new, better deal, expires 2018)

General Sponsorship: $48 746 (new deal, expires 2016)

General Sponsorship: $54 467 (new deal, expires 2019)

A-League TV Rights Deal: $1.11M

The salary cap has been lowered to $3.05M. Highest it's been so far.

Here are the goals for this year.

Goals for the Season

• Win the League.
  • Win the Grand Final.
  • Make the semi final of the AFC Champions League.
  • Look for a new job...possibly?? ;)

CONCACAF Gold Cup 2015

6820295_std.jpg

Group A: Honduras, Jamaica, Haiti, Trinidad & Tobago

Group B: Mexico, Guatemala, Canada, Panama

Group C: United States, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Curaçao

goldk.png

Canada wins the Gold Cup twice in a row!!! And to top it off...

openb.png

Then, to top it off, they offer me the job without even having to apply.

jobg.png

So...am I going to take it?

28 June 2015

canadian-soccer-association.jpg

Canadian National Soccer Team

79th FIFA Ranked Nation

Well, I had hoped that I would be offered jobs somtime in my career. However, I never expected this job to be the first one! Accepting was a no-brainer. Anytime you can represent you country, you do it. I have big shoes to fill. Stephen Hart, the outgoing manager has won the last two Gold Cups in a row and got Canada into the playoffs for World Cup Qualifiers only to lose out to New Zealand. The only thing on the horizon are the World Cup Qualifiers for 2018, but we have time to prepare.

FIFA World Cup CONCACAF Qualifying Section: Reach the 4th Phase

Capital City: Ottawa

National Population: 34.18M

Rival Nations: The United States of America, Honduras

National Stadium: BMO Field, Toronto

Stadium Capacity:23 000 all-seater

Here is BMO Field. It's also the home of Toronto FC in MLS.

bmofield-soccerbleachersaerialview.jpg

FIFA World Ranking: 79th

Top Players...

Stefan Frei - GK - Frei has been with Toronto FC since 2009. Recently named to the Gold Cup All-Star Team as top goalkeeper.

Andre Hainaut - D RLC - Hainault has spent most of his career in the MLS with Houston Dynamo and DC United; however, for the past two years, he has played in England with Championship side, Peterborough.

Junior Hoilett - M R, AM RL - Hoileet has played in many top leagues - Blackburn and West Brom in the BPL, and currently with Lyon in France's Ligue 1.

Simeon Jackson - ST - Most will know Jackson as a striker for Norwich, but he's spent the last two years with Novara in Italy's Serie A.

Canada, wooo!!!!

Wooo!!!

Rancer will be happy...a well as a bit envious :D;)

Cheers, Raware. Let's just hope I can live up to Canadian expectations, especially since they're been doing very well from their previous manager.

Hoillett looks really good.. and Jackson is plenty good enough for most opposition you'll face.

Welcome, Blanco! Yeah, both a good players and are able to play in most levels.

Quarter Final

200px-Gold-coast-united.svg.pngAl-Gharafa-Sporting-Club.png

Gold Coast United FC 4 - 2 Al-Gharrafa

I figured playing Al-Gharrafa, the defending champions of the AFC Champions League, would be difficult. They are a stacked team with many great players. However, we matched up to them perfectly. The highlight was Spagnuolo, who came off the bench in the 70th minute and scored two goals, the second being a blistering free kick from about 35 yards out top corner in the 93rd minute.

The away match was always going to be difficult. However, nearing the halfway mark, I was getting slightly optimistic until they scored just before the whistle. I tried to boost up the squad's morale and it seemed to work only to have Al-Gharrafa score immediately after the break. Luckily, we got one back and held on to win.

So, we qualify for the semi finals! Next up is Busan I'PARK, a team that we've both won and lost to. I'm expecting a good showing as our loss to them was simply a poorly played match in which I know we can do better.

Great result, hope you can go all the way :thup:

Cheers, Scarman. Busan was in the same group as me in the group stages so hopefully we can get a good showing on them.

2015-2016 Off-Season Transfers

Transfers - Only one new player, but got rid of a few who have fallen by the wayside.

Players of Note...

Antony Golec - D LC - I brought Golec in for cover on the left back. He subsequently ran into another player of mine during training and separated his shoulder...out for 3 months. Awesome.

Promotion Watch...

Nathan Konstandopoulos - M C - I brought up Konstandopoulos from our youth squad. He's been developing very well and is rated at 2 1/2 stars for the 1st squad already.

Previous Promotion Watch...

Daniel Bowles - D C - Bowles still surprises me. He was never supposed to make the top squad. Yet, he keeps on playing well when needed. Averages about 7-10 matches in a 27 game season.

Jake Barker-Daish - M C - Barker-Daish is still backup, but he's the top pick in the midfield when back up is needed. His development has stagnated slightly, so hoping he picks it up a bit.

2015-2016 Pre-season Matches

A great pre-season. I had three matches with A-League teams, two good, one lacklustre.

Australia - Spearwood Dalmatinacs - won 6-0

Australia - Rochedale Rovers - won 6-0

Australia - Brisbane Roar FC - won 3-2

Australia - Newcastle United Jets - won 2-0

Australia - Eastern Suburbs Brisbane - won 9-0

Australia - Brisbane Strikers - won 3-1

A bit of a shorter pre-season, but we've had the AFC Champions League to contend with as well, so roughly the same games.

Semi Final

200px-Gold-coast-united.svg.pngBusan_I_Park_Football_Club-logo-E0383414B4-seeklogo.com.gif

Gold Coast United FC 3 - 1 Busan I'PARK

A match in which we dominated. I got worried after Baker-Daish took a straight red card in the 23rd minute, but it never seemed to slow up down. Very happy with this home win.

Busan came out hard, but we were able to hold on for the nil draw.

We have made the Finals!!! We will play against Al-Sadd Sports CLub out of Qatar for the Champions League title.

Congrats on reaching the Asian Champions League and good luck for both the final and the new season.
Good luck in the final. How are the finances now?

Cheers, BWG and deltablue. Making the Finals of the Champions League is a huge achevement, especially for a team that most didn't think would make it out of the Group Stages.

Finances are...better. Still in the red, but prize money has helped a bit. Unfortunately, the prize money for the AFC Champions League is a pittance when compared to UEFA's similar league.

Final

200px-Gold-coast-united.svg.pnglogo_8.png

Gold Coast United FC 1 - 2 Al-Sadd Sports Club

Alas, the dream is finished. Al-Sadd absolutely dominated us in the first half, but we were able to score off a free kick just before the whistle. This tied halfway through the second. As we were approaching the end, I was already thinking ahead to extra time until Al-Sadd had a beautiful goal in the 91st minute....91st...shot to the gut.

All in all, it was a brilliant run and I can't complain. Silverware would have been nice, but maybe next year for Gold Coast.

Archived