[FM12] Red, white, and whatever other colour your flag has - A Canadian's Global Travels

cerud

I'm back, and hopefully smarter with my save than I was last time around :) I mistakenly deleted my career save last time, prematurely ending my career, but this thime, I intend to be much more aware of what I'm doing!

FM 12.2 with a large database

Added Modifications

• FM12 Suzie Real Names for Clubs, Competitions, and Awards Fix plus real life media
  • Metallic Logos Megapack
  • taking care of those "other" fixes...the "I can't discuss here" fixes :)

Loaded Nations with all of their Leagues

• Argentina
  • Australia
  • Belarus
  • Belgium
  • Brazil
  • China
  • Croatia
  • Czech Republic
  • Denmark
  • England
  • France
  • Germany
  • Greece
  • Hong Kong
  • Ireland
  • Italy
  • Malaysia
  • Netherlands
  • Northern Ireland
  • Norway
  • Peru
  • Portugal
  • Romania
  • Russia
  • Scotland
  • Serbia
  • South Africa
  • South Korea
  • Spain
  • Switzerland
  • Turkey
  • Ukraine
  • United States

League will change as the career progresses and likely shrink in size. The large number to begin with is to help facilitate an unemployed career beginning in smaller leagues.

Starting Date: July 2011

Beginning Manager Profile

Name: Cerud

Nationality: Canadian, with 2nd American (since Canadian and American sports are integrated anyways, makes for better reality)

Languages: English, French, and Spanish

Past Experience: Sunday League Footballer

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Domestic Club History

Summary

Year        Country     Team                   League               Position   Other

2011-2012   Australia   Gold Coast United FC   Hyundai A-Leauge     3rd        Runners up in Playoff
2012-2013   Australia   Gold Coast United FC   Hyundai A-League     2nd        ---
2013-2014   Australia   Gold Coast United FC   Hyundai A-League     1st        League Title, Playoff Winners
2014-2015   Australia   Gold Coast United FC   Hyundai A-League     1st        League Title
2015-2016   Australia   Gold Coast United FC   Hyundai A-League     Resigned
2015-2016   Belgium     K Racing Club Genk     Jupiler Pro League   3rd        Cofidis Cup

Trophies

• 2013-2014 - Australia - Hyundai A-League - League Title Winners
  • 2013-2014 - Australia - Hyundai A-League - Playoff Grand Final Winners
  • 2014-2015 - Australia - Hyundai A-League - League Title Winners
  • 2015-2016 - Belgium - Juliper Pro League - Cofidis Cup

Personal Awards

• 2011-2012 - A-League Manager of the Year - 3rd Place
  • 2013-2014 - A-League Manager of the Year - 1st Place

So...the job hunt begins!

I'm applying to anything and everything as anyone without a job would. I had some interest from lower leagues in Norway and Denmark, both semi-pro clubs. However, I was very suprised to get an offer that was impossible to turn down.

To put it into perspective...the Danish club was offering me a $16 500 US per year contract, barely livable. Norway clubs were offering $40 000, not bad and would have likely been my first choice until this. I received an offer from an Australian Hyundai A-League club, a professional club with a continental reputation. However, they are an expansion team, so that's why I think they even considered me. But the payday...an offer of $165 000 per year! The choice is obvious :)

6 July 2011

From the News Ticker...

"In a move that has surprised many, completely unknown manager Cerud has been offered the job with Gold Coast United. Gold Coast, recently added to the Hyundai A-League in 2009, has struggled to make a mark. The decision to go after an unknown Canadian smacks of desperation of a club who doesn't know where to look." - The Gold Coast Bulletin

200px-Gold-coast-united.svg.png

Gold Coast United FC - Hyundai A-League

I've agreed to a 2 year, $180 000/year contract, which I feel is unheard of for a green manager. I feel like I should just take the money and run! However, in looking at the squad, I now see why they may be so desperate...or defeated.

About the Club

Gold Coast United Football Club joined as an expansion side in the Hyundai A-League on 28 August 2008 for the 2009-2010 season. Surprisingly, in both of their seasons so far, the club has finished in the top four. However, a mass exodus of players and staff has left the club in much doubt.

The Stadium - Skilled Park

23-a3l8c.jpg

Name: Skilled Park

Capacity: 27 400 all-seater

Owner/Rent: Queensland Government, $1.9M per year (+10% of gate receipts)

Facilities

Corporate: Basic

Training: Average

Youth: Mininal

Junior Coaching: Average

Youth Recruitment: Above Average

It seems as though Australian football shares a few similarities with MLS (designated players as marquee players, etc.). However, my understanding of MLS will help me here.

Good first place to go.

I feel as though I coul have done worse ;)

Welcome back Cerud,good luck at Gold Coast Utd!At least you won't have to deal with their current real life problems :D

Thanks, BWG. Yeah, I read up a bit on Gold Coast. Kind of an odd situation they've got over there.

2011-2012 Pre-season

Hyundai A-League: Achieve a safe mid-table position

Media Prediction: 9th of 10

Wage Budget: $2 093 978 (currently spending $1 842 797)

Transfer Budget: $5.24M

Kit Sponsorship: $393K

The wage budget is actually lower than the salary cap of $2.52M that is set in place in the league, so that doesn't bode well. However, contract types usually have restrictive ranges and players must fit within that. In addition, each team can bring in one marquee player and three junior marquee (U23) players, each of which do not count against the salary cap.

I'm also going to be stating annual goals for each season. So here are the goals for this year.

Goals for the Season

• Finish with a playoff spot (6th place of above)
  • Hire in new (and decent!) staff
  • Begin the rebuild process of the very depleted squad
  • Bring in a marque player

Welcome back cerud! Good luck with Gold Coast, with hopefully less problems than the real life club. :thup:
Not a bad place to start managing, Australia :)

Good luck with Gold Coast, and may we see you in the Asian Champions League soon enough!

Aren't Gold Coast the team getting kicked out of the A-League?

Good luck though cerud :D

Linky for the Gold Coast thing: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/soccer/a-league-revokes-gold-coast-licence/story-e6frfg8x-1226285137642

Nice stadium.
Waste of a stadium without the team any more.
The stadium is also used by a Rugby League team who actually get decent attendances, so it will still be used if Gold Coast get kicked out. Keen to see how you go in the A-League though.

Yeah, Gold Coast is definitely a club with real life problems. I did a little research and it looks like the Australian FA has taken over the club until the end of this season and intend to fold it afterwards. However, the owner is wanting to fight it in court. Sounds like a drama...

Good luck down under, cerud!
Good luck with this, looking forward to seeing how well you do with Gold Coast. :thup:

Thanks to everyone for the best wishes!

2011-2012 Off-Season Transfers

Transfers - Well, I've definitely broken the bank :) There is a salary cap, but my club also has their own budget on top of that which is lower. I've chosen to ignore it because I believe that we stand a great chance at playoff qualification.

Players of Note - A couple players will be good additions on the first team, plus a few for squad depth.

Mario Melchiot - D/WB R - Melchiot is a Netherlands national who has spent the majority of his career in England with Chelsea and Wigan. He will be our main right back which will allow me to move our other right back (also our Australian marquee player) into a centre back position.

I also have two players joining on 1 October 2011, including a foreign marquee player.

Cristiano - ST - Cristiano has played in the Hyundai A-League before with Adelaide United. However, the majority of his career has been spent in the Eredivisie with a few clubs. He'll be our main man up front.

The owner and the FA have already been to court and he lost the case. They're currently looking for new investors but the future of the club isn't looking good. Very nice transfers, good to see you getting players with an A-League history (Edds, Patafta, Vanstrattan, Cristiano) and Sarota on loan is going to be good too. Just don't ignore your young players too much, in a few years you'll have one of the better squads in the A-League. I also suggest signing Hernan Espindola from the AIS, I've signed him with Central Coast before and he shreds at this level if you give him the time to grow.

I also suggest signing Hernan Espindola from the AIS, I've signed him with Central Coast before and he shreds at this level if you give him the time to grow.

I second this. I having him playing in my Icelandic save, he's going great guns, one of my best AMCs

The owner and the FA have already been to court and he lost the case. They're currently looking for new investors but the future of the club isn't looking good. Very nice transfers, good to see you getting players with an A-League history (Edds, Patafta, Vanstrattan, Cristiano) and Sarota on loan is going to be good too. Just don't ignore your young players too much, in a few years you'll have one of the better squads in the A-League. I also suggest signing Hernan Espindola from the AIS, I've signed him with Central Coast before and he shreds at this level if you give him the time to grow.
I second this. I having him playing in my Icelandic save, he's going great guns, one of my best AMCs

Thanks, arinceo and Jolanthustrel! I'll look into Espindola. I've got some good young talent on my youth squad. Hoping to get some tutoring in. One looks as though I may be able to give a few matches to this year, but we'll see...

At least you won't have such off-field problems.

From the real life? I hope not! :)

Lets get this season started! Cristiano looks to be a great signing up front :)

I'm working on it! :) Work has been busy, so FM time has been cut back a bit, but I'll get there.

2011-2012 Pre-season Matches

The pre-season went fairly well. Mainly against lower level clubs; however, I did schedule one against our fierce rivals in the A-League. Unfortunately, we lost, but I thought the game was played very well. Just luck of the draw, I guess.

Australia - Beenleigh - won 6-0

Australia - Sydney Olympic FC - won 3-0

Australia - Brisbane Strikers - won 5-0

Australia - Brisbane Olympic United - won 4-1

Australia - Brisbane Roar FC - lost 0-1

Australia - Manley United FC - won 2-0

Australia - Queens Academy of Sport - won 6-0

Alright! Let's play some football! :)

2011-2012 Mid-season Update

Standings | Past Positions | Fixtures - Well, it has been an up and down season so far. However, I wanted to make the playoffs this season and, so far, we're holding onto that final spot. In the matches that we've lost, all except one was by only a single goal. Here's hoping we can keep it going.

Players of Note...

Joel Porter - AM L, ST - Porter has been strong on the left for us. He leads the team in assists, but has been hampered by injury. Interestingly, his injury has coincided with our recent bad turn. Hoping he comes back soon.

Cristiano - ST - Cristiano worried me in his first few matches. He didn't score his first goal until our fifth match. However, he's definitely turned it on now as he's tied for the lead in goals for the league.

2011-2012 Youth Candidate Intake

Youth Candidates

My assistant manager thinks Jake Jackson, is the best of the crop. He have no one who is able to step up right away; however, there are a few will good potential.

Jake Jackson - M C - Decent physical stats for this level and given the Jackson's age. Hopefully some youth squad development and tutoring will make him into a fixture in a few years.

Trent Phillips - M C - Again, alright physical stats for a 15 year old, but Phillips will need to work if he wants to progress for 1st squad.

Jordan Carbone - AM C, ST - His Determination and Work Rate are nice, but Carbone's not that impressive to me.

2011-2012 Season in Review

3rd Place - Qualified for Playoffs

Standings | Past Positions | Fixtures - The second half of the season was a dream. In our final 10 matches, we won 8, including an amazing final match against the Brisbane Roar, our main rival. Not only did we meet our goal of qualifying for the playoffs, we matched our best finish ever. I had very slim hopes for the playoffs, but I was happy just to make them and have an opportunity.

The Playoffs...

The way the playoffs work in the A-League is different. The top 2 teams play in a two match series called the Major Playoff. The teams finishing 3rd to 5th, play in the Minor Playoff, but only in one mathc, winner-take-all games. So, 3rd plays 6th and 4th plays 5th. The winners play each other. The winner of the minor playoff plays the loser of the Major Playoff in what is called the Preliminary Playoff. Finally, the winner of the Preliminary Playoff plays the winner of the Major Playoff in the Grand Final for the top winner in Australian football.

A-League Finals Minor Semi Final

Gold Coast United FC 2 - 0 Central Coast Mariners

Our first match was against a squad that we had won two of our three matches against, so I was feeling confident. We dominated this match fairly heavily and took the lead off a corner in the 7th minute. With a 65% possession, this match was ours.

A-League Finals Minor Final

Gold Coast United FC 2e - 1 Brisbane Roar FC

Ahh, meeting our rivals against so soon after spanking them 4-1 in the final match of the season :) This match...was different. Scoreless after 90 minutes, extra time was needed. Brisbane took the lead in the 109th minute and I figured

A-League Finals Preliminary Final

Gold Coast United FC 3e - 2 Sydney FC

This was set to be a difficult match right from the beginning. Sydney FC won the league during the season and it was going to be hard to overcome this as we lost all 3 matches against them. While Sydney FC went down to 10 men early in the 2nd half, they still held on for the tie at 90 minutes. However, Minnecon scored on an amazing cut in from the left side to put us over and into the Grand Final!

The season matches against Newcastle was 1-1-1. Even though the matches was fairly even, they capitalized on their chances, while we squandered ours. Still, we finished runners up to the Champions, not bad when we were predicted for a 9th place finish.

Players of Note...

Ante Rozic - D C - Not only was Rozic my best defender, he was also a menace on attacking corners. With his help, we led the league in goals from corners.

Jason Spagnuolo - M L, AM RL - I brought in Spagnuolo in the opening of the mid-season transfer window from Adelaide City from the lower leagues in Australia. Quietly, he ended up leading the A-league in assists. I'm curious as to what he'll do in a full season!

Cristiano - ST - Cristiano tied the league with two others for most goals in the season. Unfortunately, I have a problem. I can't renew his contract because when I do, they tell me I already have a marquee player. It stupid because the marquee player I already have....is Cristiano!!! I took a look at the bugs forum and apparently, I'm not the only one with this issue. While they are aware, it looks like I'll lose Cristiano at the end of this season do to this bug.

Finances - Our owner gave us a lump sum investment over over $6 million early in the season, which has covered operating costs. They don't like my salary, but are putting up with it because we've done so well.

Facilities - The rent is annoying, but not much I can do about it. It's absurding high, over double what some other teams pay, no even including the gate receipt clause.

Awards

• Golden Boot - Cristiano - 3rd Place
  • Manager of the Year - Cerud - 3rd Place
  • PFA A-League Team of the Year - Ante Rozic (D C)
  • Fans' Player of the Year - Ante Rozic

Goals Revisited

• Finished with a playoff spot - Achieved! We finished in 3rd place.
  • Hire in new (and decent!) staff - Achieved. New staff is decent, although not exceptional.
  • Begin the rebuild process of the very depleted squad - Achieved. Although we did go over budget.
  • Bring in a marquee player - Achieved! Cristiano :)

Next Year...

I have one year left on my contract with Gold Coast United FC. I'm scared about losing over half my starting line as they all want marquee contracts now. Not too sure how that's going to work, but we'll see. I'll definitely stick around this year and see if I can help the club grow.

Good work cerud. Hopefully most of your key players stay so you can compete again for the title next season. :thup:

Thanks, rancer. I know I'll be losing Cristiano for sure because of that stupid marquee player bug, but hoping I can't keep a few others.

Odd round names.

Yep :)

Excellent season,hopefully you will be able to push on and claim victory in the Grand Final.
Encouraging improvement towards the end of the season. Should point towards a better start next season (hopefully!) :)
Great first season, hopefully even better next season. :thup:

Thanks, BWG, AK22, and cpfc543. We'll see what I can do in the off season in terms of players. I'm hoping to add some quality in a few positions. Hopefully it helps for next season.

Spagnuolo was a fairly promising young player who lost his way a bit. Good to see you've revived his career.

Yeah, he had a few years in the A-League before but never quite did much. He was recommended by a scout of mine. Definitely been a welcome sight, especially since he can play attacking midfielder on both sides!

2012-2013 Pre-season

Hyundai A-League: Achieve a respectable position in the League

Media Prediction: 5th of 10

A-League Title Odds: 3-1

Wage Budget: $3 851 494, an increase of 1 757 516 (currently spending $2 647 507)

Transfer Budget: $7.02M

Kit Sponsorship: $434 574 (a new, better deal, expires 2018)

General Sponsorship: $48 746 (new deal, expires 2016)

General Sponsorship: $48 746 (new deal, expires 2015)

A-League TV Rights Deal: $1.57M

The salary cap has been raised to $2.62M, which means that I actually have a good sized wage budget this year! Our Board, probably due to our finish last year, i wanting a good finish and the media is expecting more than they did last year as well. I believe that we have the tools to meet and exceed this.

Here are the goals for this year.

Goals for the Season

• Finish in the top three in the league.
  • Make the finals of the Playoffs.
  • Hire in a new youth coach.
  • Find a new marquee striker and sign him to a multi-year deal.
  • Strengthen goalkeeping.

2012-2013 Off-Season Transfers

Transfers - I've been able to bring a mixture of experience and young blood. I hoping that I have a real shot at the league title and possibly the playoffs, but it will depend of health and how well these new players transition.

Players of Note...

Brad Jones - GK - Jones has spent the majority of his career in England bouncing between the Premiership and Championship leagues. He's reserve right now in Liverpool, so I snapped him up for a free loan. The fact that he's Australian is also helpful too as he won't count against my foreign players.

Marcelo Macedo - AM C, ST - My new foreign marquee player. If pre-season is any indication, he'll be a star in the A-league. I also signed him for a 2 year contract so I don't have to worry about the marquee player bug for a while.

Nathan Konstandopoulos - M C - Konstandopoulos was added to the youth squad. He's young, but I think he has a real shot in playing on the 1st squad in a few years.

Promotions...

Jake Barker-Daish - M C - Barker-Daish was promoted from the youth squad this year. He'll get a few matches for sure this year as one of my top midfielders just went down with knee tendonitis for 6-7 months. However, Barker-Daish deserves the promotion and I'm expecting big things over the course of the next few years from him.

2012-2013 Pre-season Matches

A great pre-season. I had two matches against team inthe A-league, both great outcomes.

Australia - Queens Academy of Sport - won 6-1

Australia - Rochedale Rovers - won 3-0

Australia - South Coast Wolves - won 7-0

Australia - Central Coast Mariners - won 2-0

Australia - Brisbane Strikers - won 4-0

Australia - Brisbane Roar FC - won 4-0

Australia - Victorian Training Centre Football - tied 2-2

Australia - Spearwood Dalmatinacs - won 5-0

Now, time for 2nd season with Gold Coast!

Ugh.....

Well I'm four matches in and I have a goalkeeper situation. I had been playing my new loanee from Liverpool. Unfortunately, I failed to vet him properly and somehow missed that he's scared of the ball. In the first two matches, he let in the winning goal in each. So for the third match, i gave him a break and played my back up and we won. Figuring the time off would do him good, I brought back our loanee, Jones, for match four. Yet again, he let in a goal only to have us salvage a tie in the end.

Well, I also happen to have another decent goalkeeper in Kevin Hartman. Hartman and Jones were fighting for the top spot in the pre-season, which I ended up giving to Jones and placing Hartman on the transfer list. However, now with Jones sucking, I decided to remove Hartman from transfer and register him. Literally not a day passed before he complained that I wasn't playing him enough. He was NOT registered. Playing him would have been an impossibility. He should be happy I'm no longer transferring him.

Well, now this...

hartman.png

I've denied it because Jones is beginning to remind me of any movie with Amy Adams...he's the girl that perpetually looks like he's about to cry at any moment. Here's hoping Hartman realizes that I'm playing him now (at the first opportunity I was able to might I add) and shuts the hell up..... :mad:

UEFA European Championships 2012

UEFA_Euro_2012_logo.png

Group A: Ukraine, England, Ireland, Israel

Group B: France, Poland, Croatia, Montenegro

Group C: Netherlands, Portugal, Italy, Czech Republic

Group D: Germany,Belarus, Sweden, Spain

euroc.png

Definitely a surprizing tournament, with Spain bowing out in the Group Stages. Winners France seem to have regained their form after the debacle in South Africa.

Good pre-season,players like Hartman are too annoying for words,I hope he shuts the hell up for the you otherwise you could end up with a headache.

Thanks, BWG. Looks like Hartman has realized its better to stay.

Vive La france!

:) In this case, indeed!

2012-2013 Mid-season Update

Standings | Past Positions | Fixtures - It's been a bit of a rollercoaster first half, but we've come out on top. Once I got rid of our Liverpool loanee and put in Hartman (see previous posts for goalkeeper fiasco...), our change of fortunes moved towards bing better. We crawled out of the basement of the league up to 2nd. However, complacency crept in and a hard talk was required to get them back on track. Suffice it to say, we turned it around. Our last night, a 7-0 destruction of last year's league champions Sydney FC will hopefull be a watershed moment and propel us onward for the second half.

Players of Note...

Ante Rozic - D C - Rozic, what can I say. He was the Fans' Player of the Year for last year and he's picked up where he left off.

James Brown - M/AM C - My young midfielder is a revelation. Knows just how to set up the front players and his assists prove this.

Jason Spagnuolo - M L, AM RL - A decent season for Spagnuolo. He hasn't hit the magic of the end of last season, but still one of the most consistent players on the pitch. Also getting some interest from MLS clubs.

Archived