(FM11) A most excellent adventure (or a very bogus journey!)

withnail316

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It took me 20 years to get the board to increase the seating/capacity. Your lucky!! The extra revenue should help anyway.

Takes the ground up to a massive 3,000 (with 2,000 seats....) And I agree, although with £15m in the bank I'm not too concerned about that right now, I'd rather they'd have done the training facilities to help attract a few better players. I've got sooo many targets with scouts out left, right and centre, but none of them are interested!

Takes the ground up to a massive 3,000 (with 2,000 seats....) And I agree, although with £15m in the bank I'm not too concerned about that right now, I'd rather they'd have done the training facilities to help attract a few better players. I've got sooo many targets with scouts out left, right and centre, but none of them are interested!

That's what i currently have in my Carmarthen save.

All you need is one overachieving season and europe and the players will become interested. What's the rep of the league like at the moment?

That's what i currently have in my Carmarthen save.

All you need is one overachieving season and europe and the players will become interested. What's the rep of the league like at the moment?

Must confess, I hoped qualifying for the CL group stages might count as "over achieving" ;o) And it's one and a half stars, fella. How about yours?

Must confess, I hoped qualifying for the CL group stages might count as "over achieving" ;o) And it's one and a half stars, fella. How about yours?

Overachieving would be getting 3rd in the group stage ;). I'm currently on 3 stars, 22nd in europe, although it has been as high as 14th. It's very difficult to go better than 3 stars without other teams in the league making progress.

Overachieving would be getting 3rd in the group stage ;). I'm currently on 3 stars, 22nd in europe, although it has been as high as 14th. It's very difficult to go better than 3 stars without other teams in the league making progress.

Yeah, I'm hoping that somebody rises from within the ranks to challenge me next year, which will at least give me hope of them joining me in Europe. Old foes Llanelli have been on the verge of a takeover for 18 months now, so hopefully if that comes off they'll be up there (although hopefully not too close!) I'm at least now on a par with League Two in England, which has opened a few more doors in the Bosman market.... which is a start! Oh, and the board have now agreed to do the training facilities too...

EDIT: Opened, not happened. Eejit.

Yeah, I'm hoping that somebody rises from within the ranks to challenge me next year, which will at least give me hope of them joining me in Europe. Old foes Llanelli have been on the verge of a takeover for 18 months now, so hopefully if that comes off they'll be up there (although hopefully not too close!) I'm at least now on a par with League Two in England, which has happened a few more doors in the Bosman market.... which is a start! Oh, and the board have now agreed to do the training facilities too...

Man. In my save Port Talbot had a take over by a tycoon in the first year, but continue to suck.I considered leaving to take the job because its such a waste of a great opportunity

Man. In my save Port Talbot had a take over by a tycoon in the first year, but continue to suck.I considered leaving to take the job because its such a waste of a great opportunity

How much money do they have? i really hope someone in my save gets a tycoon.

7 mill in the bank, up to 3 mill in transfer budget.. and up to 44,500 in wage budget. They are 11th in the league and would be on the verge of relegation if not for Bridgend. Next year when Neath comes back they could be waving good bye. Its sad because I was so excited when I read about the take over. thought I would end up with a team to really challenge me. I am kind of tempted to manage them myself with a second manager.

7 mill in the bank, up to 3 mill in transfer budget.. and up to 44,500 in wage budget. They are 11th in the league and would be on the verge of relegation if not for Bridgend. Next year when Neath comes back they could be waving good bye. Its sad because I was so excited when I read about the take over. thought I would end up with a team to really challenge me. I am kind of tempted to manage them myself with a second manager.

You could always take control of their summer transfer window, buy a few decent players, leave then see how they get on. Would be a shame to see a team with a tycoon go down.

You could always take control of their summer transfer window, buy a few decent players, leave then see how they get on. Would be a shame to see a team with a tycoon go down.

Does that mean I can have a rule about never losing to them too? haha. Good point. However, would that have a negative impact on the team because they will continue to have manager turn over? I assume it will take a couple transfer window take overs to get that team right.

withnail316, sorry for highjacking the thread.

Don't apologise fella, not a problem at all. A tycoon takeover does sound interesting, although as I'm discovering it's not just about having money. If you can't attract the players you can't sign any! Having said that, if they aren't at least improving their infrastructure they're absolute morons!

clublogo.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Haverfordwest County AFC: Season preview 2016/17

Media prediction: 1st

Board expectation: Win the championship

So it goes without saying that yet again the board expect the title, and as predicted I've been busy with transfer activity, both with arrivals and departures. I expect every player I've signed this year to be in and around the first team, unlike season's gone by. Unfortunately I forgot to screenshot the budget (which I'm annoyed about as it now makes the thread inconsistent! :mad:) but the details are below:

Transfer budget: £2.4m

Wage budget: £38,000p/w

Current wage bill: £23,000p/w

So let's start with the departures. There's been a lot of experience leave the club, even in the younger players who have gone. Between 4 of them they've played more than 400 league games for the club, so it's been a huge upheaval, but it was certainly needed to freshen things up. Going out then have been:

GK Scott Christie (free to Livingston)

CB Matty Hughes (£16,000 to Shrewsbury)

ST Martin Reilly (free to Shrewsbury)

CM Andrew Mitchell (season long loan to Dundee, fee of £40,000 agreed)

CM Marc Bridge-Wilkinson (retired)

CM Jarret Rivers (free)

I'd considered adding both skipper David Cowan and midfielder Higgins to that list, but in the end I decided to keep both of them, at least for another year. However, both will have smaller roles this season. Ultimately I think all of the players who've left have been replaced, but we shall see. I was a little disappointed not to make a little more money in transfers, but it's not a huge concern. I have however spent a few quid myself.

Coming in have been:

21 yo CB/CM Nick Morgan (£500,000 from Fulham)

19 yo CM Andy Bradley (£425,000 from Livingston)

20 yo CM Andy Bermingham (free from Celtic)

18 yo CM Dave Farrar (free)

24 yo ST Gonzalo Barretto (free- my first foreign player)

17 yo RB Chris Richards (2 year loan from Everton)

We've also taken options to sign both Steve Basham and Steve Naylor, both of whom were on loan last year. Here's a couple of images...

nickmorgan.png

bradleys.png

I'm confident both will really improve me, and as they're only youngsters they should just get better and better. Now I just need to find a couple of additional U19 players for this stupid rule....

Good to see the league getting better. Thats a tough draw in europe in my opinion, good luck.
I think that'll be relatively simple.

I'm somewhere in between. A lot will depend on how my new players gel, but I do fancy my chances.

European qualifiers

CL 2nd Qualifying round 1st leg

Haverfordwest 4-2 Dinamo Tbilisi

We came into this game a little rusty after only managing 2 friendlies, and with several new players we were still trying to adjust. It told as well, at least defensively as we conceded two away goals. However, up front we were sharp as ever with Loy, Hopkinson and Richards (2) gave us something to defend in Georgia.

CL 2nd Qualifying round 2nd leg (2-9 on aggregate)

Dinamo Tbilisi 0-5 Haverfordwest

Rory Loy with a stunning hat-trick, and one each for Hopkinson and Richards Great performance, hurdle overcome.

cl31617.png

EDIT: had to replay the second leg after a crash.... luckily my fortnightly save caught it, and I got another win!

European qualifiers

CL 3rd Qualifying round 1st leg

Mogren 0-5 Haverfordwest

Another perfect away performance as we march towards the CL play off round. Goals from Chris Richards, Steven Richards, Basham, Bradley and Barretto, we're in total control for the second leg.

CL 3rd Qualifying round 2nd leg

Haverfordwest 3-1 Mogren

Richards, Hopkinson and Loy send us into the play off round. European football secured for another year, be it CL or EL, either of which I'll take.

Looking at the co-efficient ratings, I'm so close to being seeded for these play offs. Maybe next time...

clpo1617.png

I think that's going to be a tough one...

August

WPL TNS 1-2 Haverfordwest

Awful performance, but goals from Richards (his 50th league goal) and Robinson ensure a win on the opening day.

CL Play Off first leg

Partizan Belgrade 3-0 Haverfordwest

A truly awful first leg. Down to 10 men after 4 minutes, we lost Danny Murphy to injury after 10 and Before I knew it we were 3 down. It is looking like mission impossible in the second leg.

WPL Haverfordwest 4-1 Port Talbot

Another messy performance with an early red card, but this time we responded well. Hopkinson (2) Robinson and Richards with the goals.

CL Play Off second leg

Haverfordwest 2-1 Partizan Belgrade

Well, we got a win, but we couldn't overturn the first leg. No Champions League for us this year, but Steven Richards scored another 2 goals.

After being put in pot 3 for the draw I was hoping it would be kind to me. It wasn't:

el1617group.png

WPL Haverfordwest 1-0 Llanelli

Really tight, but we got the win thanks to Tim Hopkinson.

September

WPL Carmarthen 0-1 Haverfordwest

A 30 yard stunner from Basham won this, although we were very profligate in front of goal.

EL Group G

Haverfordwest 1-3 AC Milan

Well, we went all out defence in this one, and after 25 min were three down. It would seem I need to try something a little different... Rory Loy with the goal, but Messi just tore us apart.

WPL Haverfordwest 2-0 Neath

Two Steven Richards goals were enough to send us to the top of the table for the first time this season.

WPL Aberystwyth 0-1 Haverfordwest

Another clean sheet, but again we were poor in front of goal. Simon Basham again with the winner.

EL Group G

RB Salzburg 1-3 Haverfordwest

Three James Ashmore set pieces and three Steven Richards headers gave us a great win in Europe.

October

WPL Haverfordwest 2-0 Afan Lido

Rory Loy and Tim Hopkinson with the goals...

Loosemore League Cup

Llanelli 0-3 Haverfordwest

With 6 first teamers away on international duty, this was a much changed line up. Even so, we were too strong, and Rory Loy, Tim Hopkinson and on-loan Manchester United youngster Sam Garton sent us through.

WPL Prestatyn 1-4 Haverfordwest

Goals from Garton, Basham, Hopkinson and Richards secured another thumping win.

EL Group G

Haverfordwest 0-0 PSG

A solid defensive display gives us another point in Europe, but I can't help but think we should have won it.

Loosemore League Cup Quarter Final

Haverfordwest 5-0 Barry Town

A Steven Richards hat-trick, and one each for Garton and Hopkinson send us into the semis.

WPL Barry Town 0-4 Haverfordwest

Goals from Richards, Williams, Bradley and Basham ensure another big win against the newly promoted side.

November

EL Group G

PSG 1-1 Haverfordwest

A real backs the wall performance, but Bradley's screamer just before the hour gave us our greatest ever result. If it wasn't for the referee's assistant it would have been even better, as Tim Hopkinson slotted home in stoppage time. I actually cheered when it went in! Gutted.

Loosemore League Cup Semi Final 1st leg

Afan Lido 0-3 Haverfordwest

Two from Hopkinson and Steven Richards' 20th of the season put us in a commanding position for the second leg. Good job too as half the squad will be missing on international duty for the second leg!

WPL Haverfordwest 2-2 TNS

Gah. Two goal lead thrown away and the first injury of the season for Richards. He did get his 21st of the season before his knock, which thankfully isn't serious. Fraser Robinson with the other one.

Loosemore League Cup Demi Final 2nd leg

Haverfordwest 2-1 Afan Lido

Rory Loy's double sees us comfortably into the final

lgcupfinal1617.png

WPL Port Talbot 0-3 Haverfordwest

Two for Garton and one for Rooney opens up a 4 point lead at the top of the table.

Welsh Cup

Lex 0-5 Haverfordwest

Two for Bradley and one each from Hopkinson, Garton and Richards sees us cruise through

WPL Llanelli 0-2 Haverfordwest

A double from Simon Basham was enough to bash (*ahem*) our old rivals, and get manager Andy Legg the sack at the same time... Basham is turning into a good replacement for MBW.

December

EL Group G

AC Milan 2-0 Haverfordwest

The first of 5 games in two weeks, and I couldn't complain at the result, although the second goal didn't come until time added on. However, it's not all doom and gloom, as we still stand a chance of sneaking through. If we can beat Salzburg and Milan take anything off PSG, we'll go through on head-to-head results. Unbelievable, but certainly possible.

WPL Haverfordwest 4-1 Carmarthen Town

A good recovery after the Milan game, and we were on top from start to finish. Two goals for Hopkinson, one for Garton and another for Rory Loy sent us 8 points clear with a game in hand.

WPL Haverfordwest 1-0 Bangor City

Tim Hopkinson bagged the winner against our closest challengers, his 16th of the season.

WPL Neath 2-2 Haverfordwest

How we didn't get beat here I'll never know. Barretto and Garton with our goals as I made lots of changes ahead of the European tie. Rory Loy was one of those who came in, but he'll now miss FIVE MONTHS with broken foot.

EL Group G

Haverfordwest 2-1 RB Salzburg

Tim Hopkinson and Steven Richards scored the goals in front of a record 2,000 crowd, ensuring the double over RB Salzburg. Unreal.

elprogress.png

elgroupg.png

(December isn't over, but I HAD to post this!)

Great work, should do wonders for your rep. The money isnt great in the Europe cup but the fact you overcame PSG is impressive.

Money isn't a great concern right now, still have £13,000,000 in the bank, but the rep boost would be brilliant. I'm just lucky PSG never really showed up!

A bit worrying that it said Haverfordwest were 'expected to qualify', a tad harsh by the media.

The media also describe me as minnows in my domestic league, despite winning it 6 times in a row! I've learned to ignore them....

Not too bad considering who you could have got. Also, if those are in the EURO Cup, who are in their place in the Champions League?

Yeah, I don't fancy my chances of qualifying, mind.

Couple of surprises. Sporting Lisbon, Galatasary, Sampdoria and Spartak Moscow, but largely as you'd expect. Chelsea v Juve looks to be the tie of the round.

Archived