Legendary goalkeepers... Or not?

I've had the same goalkeeper in all 8 of my seasons of Forest. He is a brilliant keeper, won the golden glove last year and looks like he will this time too. I bought him young but he has already reached his full potential and has been rock solid for pretty much the entire 8 years he's been with us.

But he isn't even counted as a favoured personnel! This seems mad to me, I have an icon who was only at the club for 4 seasons and only had one great year, which was in the Championship. It just seems crazy that my keeper isn't recognised.

So I started wondering if any goalkeepers were legendary. I went to Real Madrid and had a look at Iker Cassilas, who had played over 750 league games for Real, and in FM his average rating for league throughout all of his seasons is 7.23, which is great for a keeper.

Yet even he is only classed as an icon. He is retiring at the end of this season but even if he does get legendary then he really should already be there, he's been there for over 20 seasons and has been captain (and still currently is).

I'm thinking maybe the problem is that Legendary/Icons/Favoured personnel might have average rating as the main variable and obviously this puts keepers at a disadvantage as they will always have a lower average rating as a more attacking player with the same PA/CA (in my experience anyway).

It just seems ludicrous that there is a Forest icon who had one good season out of 4 and there is a Real Madrid player who is also an icon who has been there over 20 years and played well every season.

Obviously it's not a game breaker, but it would be nice to see goalkeepers getting the recognition they deserve. My current keeper was the first player I bought when coming to Forest, for 800k and he is now worth £20 million. Just seems so unfair that he isn't even a favoured personnel because in real life he would already be an icon (yes I know there is no way of measuring this in real life, but I'd count 8 seasons of solid performances and loyalty even when things haven't gone well as being at least worthy of favoured personnel.

Sorry ranted on a little bit then :lol:.

The game is massively weighted towards strikers in this aspect. Because goals boost ratings so much I only ever seem to get strikers and attacking midfielders into my favoured personnel and icons lists. My goalkeeper is constantly the best in the world, keeps many clean sheets and because I always set him to distribute to my full backs he always has the highest pass completion percentage in the league too. However, because my team is so good and he rarely has anything to do he gets a constant stream of 6.9s. This relatively low average rating is probably the reason he doesn't get considered. Even your 7.23, whilst good for a keeper, is not that impressive when compared to everybody else.

That wasn't for me, that was Casillas. Mine is only hovering above 7 so I doubt he will ever get inducted which is a shame as he is one of my favourite players, haven't lost a shoot out with him and he looks like he's about to get golden glove for the second year running.

GK ratings and performances have been massively nerfed. I can count on one hand the number of times that my goalkeeper won the game for me or that I was prevented from winning by the opposition GK. They will now save what they have to save (i.e. the shots that go straight at them), let in an occasional howler and make the occasional amazing save, and let in the majority of shots that are on target and to their left or right. I guess it's an improvement on the superhuman goalkeepers of old who saved dozens of shots every game, but I can't help feeling that the balance has swung too far to the other side.

Started playing CM99/00 this weekend out of boredom and every other game one of the goalies gets a 9 or a 10. Most of the time its the AI's goalie but mine has saved me a few times as well. SI still don't seem to have found a happy medium.

These underrated goalies frustrate me. I'm having a great season and the whole team is playing great. Average ratings are at least 7.1 for everyone EXCEPT for the goalie, who has 6.87.

I would totally understand this if we were playing "score one more than you concede" type of game. But instead we have conceded only 16 goals in 30 games and the goalie has 18 clean sheets!

This really isn't a gamebraker, but frustrates me, because it now looks that the goalie sucks (compared to the outfield players).

Casillas is already listed from the database as favoured personnel (Icon at Real Madrid)

my bet is if you start a game and edit him not to be in favoured personnel he won't make it there

the game just doesn't like goalkeepers

also I had 2 legendary goalkeepers who played more than 8 seasons and didn't get the club as favourite, still one of them was on loan for 1 season and got Leicester as favourite where he won nothing

benjaminhartmannhistory.png

benjaminhartmannhistory.png

benjaminhartmannprofile.png

jorgelunahistorycareers.png

Archived