[FM12] Alternative AFC club continental competitions

Nido

Hi out there, and sorry beforehand if my English is a bit rusty.

If you played Asian leagues, you noticed how their Champions Leagues doesn't include every country, and how they divide them into "mature", "developing" and "emerging" nations to qualify them to their differents competitions. Well, that is kinda boring if you went to manage, say, a Malaysian club since there's no opportunity to face a real powerhouse, so I got to the editor and changed the rules, if Sanmarinense teams has the chance to dream of facing an Italian one at UEFA Champions, or a Seychelles outfit to face an Egyptian one at CAF, why wouldn't a Macau side dream of facing a Chinese team? =P

So every champion will qualify to the Champions League, either at preliminary stage or group stage depending on their ranking (at the readme), with top 4 nations qualifying three sides, top 5-to-14 nations qualifying two and everyone else only one. To AFC Cup qualifies every National Cup champions with nations 5, 6 and 15-to-30 qualyfing two. Why that oddity? So only Top-6 nations would send 4 clubs to any continental competition while others would send 3! So to complete that rule, nations 31-to-46 on the ranking (46 -East Timor- is the lowest ranked nation) qualify to the President's Cup.

Format for both Champions League and AFC Cup are similar, two qualifying rounds from which 16 teams would join another 16 who made it directly to the Group Stage. Then, 8 groups of 4 sides each, with the best 2 teams qualifying to the next round, letting the double-legged knockouts begin to end on a single final at a neutral venue.

President's Cup retains their (intended) format of 4 groups of 4, but it's now played in a home and away basis, with the best 2 best teams from each group qualifying to the knockout stage, again double-legged and ending on a single final at a neutral venue.

There's a readme inside with how was all done and the known issues I couldn't fix or replicate, they are mostly minor so don't worry, but if you happen to know how to fix them, just post here. Apart from that, the file was tested till the end of 2020 with no crashes and a database of 90k players! (yes, I know, but I was away from home for a day, so what the hell, let the PC work at it's fullest), so I hope it's enjoyable =)

This file will include (screenshots if you follow the links):

- a bit of dominance maybe?

- But a wider variety of nations participating

- Lucky draws making some countries reach the Group Stage!

- And another doing Giant Killings better than Tatsumi's ones!!! (=P)

- And of course, "middle-powered" nations are also capable of surprises by reaching phases they shouldn't be able to! (and that's a "French" team to AFC!)

- Of course AFC Cup also has it's place, with no apparent dominance.

- And rarely you will see flags repeated at most stages here!

- Last, but not least, it's the President's Cup. Who will stop the North Koreans!?

So give it a try =)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/25649062/AFC.rar

This is an excellent piece of work. The actual real life format would be okay if teams in game could move up/down competitions but in game the dynamic league rep doesn't seem to allow for this.

I assume you ran this alongside various custom Asian league files? Just wondering as I have a few I want to use.

Yes, these ones where used when the file was run (and I did recommend it at the readme), and may be the reason why North Korea did so well at President's, since it was the only active league from the bottom 16 (but anyways, I expect them to dominate since the toughest oppositions seems to be Palestine, Pakistan, Banghladesh or Cambodia, or at least most tests gave that impression)

The only problem concerning leagues were that leagues not ending before AFC competitions starts seems to send teams based on whatever but last season standings =( it even happens to nations that were included in the game, like India, but I didn't get to work it around. It's my first attempt at doing a continental file, so I'm sure there's some room of improvement I couldn't see.

It's not French, it's "French" =P

Hard to explain, but look for Etoile FC (Singapore) on the Wikipedia and you'll get the info. S.League tends to put "foreigners" team on their league with special rules for themselves, tough AFC won't let them qualify (in real life) to any of their competitions.

I made a similar work sometimes ago, making the only champions league with all the asian nations.. and the same work for the north american champions league too, with all the caribbean nations included.. the more annoying problem is that the dynamic reputation of leagues doesn't work if a champions league is edited with the editor..

The only problem concerning leagues were that leagues not ending before AFC competitions starts seems to send teams based on whatever but last season standings =( it even happens to nations that were included in the game, like India, but I didn't get to work it around.

Great file. And Great work. i tried the use it but this was a game breaker for me not minor issue...

Archived