Big Club, Small Country - Challenge

brettney your reviews will take an age to type up once you have a few Sri Lankans in the team. Awesome name again :D

jimbo looks like you're in a bit of a quandry there. Need to get the ranking up to so the players accept call ups, need the better players to get an increase on the rankings. Difficult situation.

I'm having problems during international weeks. The Belarus league doesn't stop during the breaks and I'm having to field loads of youngsters. Means I'm dropping more points than I would like but at least they are getting experience

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply
brettney your reviews will take an age to type up once you have a few Sri Lankans in the team. Awesome name again :D

I'm having problems during international weeks. The Belarus league doesn't stop during the breaks and I'm having to field loads of youngsters. Means I'm dropping more points than I would like but at least they are getting experience

Yeah least you can blood some youngsters ...Im already tempted to give them short nicknames ... Just finished latest season report will be up later tonight. (still no sign of the Sri Lanka job) Wayne Rooney once again wants out .. So far the only bid is £45.5m from Barca .. Not a chance. Tried offering him to Madrid in a swap for Ronaldo to no luck. Oh and the genius board scrap plans for a Youth academy upgrade and then 1 day later pump 63m into the club and give me (yes you guessed it) 63m transfer budget :rolleyes:

I've managed to solve the call-up issue with one of my future stars, The Central American Cup took place in January and Gallardo accepted a call-up. Clearly he thinks a friendly against Montserrat beneath him, but a tournament against Belize is more his style. Herrera - has the potential to be like Casillas - is a permanent fixture in the Spain U21 team so may have to wait til he's grown up to bring him in to the senior squad. We finished 3rd in the cup meaning we've qualified for the Gold Cup so I'm hoping a good performance there will boost the rankings

Brettney's Manchester United Sri Lankan Adventure: Season 2013/14

Missed out on the FA Cup once again, losing in the final to Newcastle (first time i've ever lost to them ..) Barcalona stopped out Champions league hopes but we dominated in the league so much so that i put out entire teams of reserves when i wanted to rest players after Europe and they still managed to pick up points. We won the League Cup again making it 3 for 3 (it must be my favorite trophy :D).

Squad Stats

Transfers 2 - The big signing of the summer was Eden Hazard and he proved to be a popular signing winning the fans player of the season.

Competitions Info;

League Cup: Won!

FA Cup: Lost In Final.

Premier League: Champions Again!!

Champions League: Lost to Barcalona in Semis.

Would a powerful MLS team (using MikeMagnum's Alternate US Setup) with 17 in Youth Development, Coaching, and Recruitment work in this challenge with, say, a Caribbean nation?

In a word no, the only change to the database allowed is adding extra players from your nation. No edited databases as they can have been manipulated to give you an advantage

In a word no, the only change to the database allowed is adding extra players from your nation. No edited databases as they can have been manipulated to give you an advantage

Would 15s-16s in those categories in the default database work?

Been offered the U-21 Belarus job. Not sure about taking it though. Main advantage would have been to give my youngsters first team experience but they are getting plenty of playing time at club level. Three are regular starters and getting around 20 games a season and I have another 2 playing quite a lot as subs and in cup games.

Really, really like the idea of this. Simple, challenging, and I get to manage one of the biggest clubs for the first time ever. (Actually I lie; I managed Arsenal once, on FM07 I think).

I've got a month off of uni so plenty of spare time to crack on with this alongside my Basque/Catalan experiment.

So - meet the new manager of FC Barcelona, former Nicaraguan international Raúl Espinoza.

I sent my scouts out to compile reports on every Nicaraguan player they could find, and I signed this guy - Victor Webster. He was the best of a bad bunch (that is the only player with a rating better than half a star). Safe to say he won't be getting near the first team very often, but he has the honour of being Barcelona's first Nicaraguan.

I sent my scouts out to compile reports on every Nicaraguan player they could find, and I signed this guy - Victor Webster. He was the best of a bad bunch (that is the only player with a rating better than half a star). Safe to say he won't be getting near the first team very often, but he has the honour of being Barcelona's first Nicaraguan.

If you get the Nicaraguan Job, those half star players will be rated 5 star by the national assistant

Real Madrid/Panama - End of Season - 2014/15

Another successful season for Madrid, we won the league for the 4th time but it went down to the last game. We should of had it wrapped up by easter as we threw away a 7 point lead with 2 games in hand to only win by a point. We only managed to take a point from our 2 games against Barca but we got revenge in the Cup by beating them 1-0 scoring 35 goals en route to the final. The Champions League was the only disappointment. We beat Porto 2-0 at home in the semi-final 1st leg, only for my team of highly paid players to forget how to pass in the 2nd leg where we went down 3-0 and out 2-3 on aggregate. The Euro Super Cup was added to the cabinet by beating Man City 4-2. A 7-0 victory against Velez in the Final of the Club World Championship also brought this trophy to Madrid.

League Table

Spanish Cup

Champions League

Youth Intake

Two more Panamanians came through the Academy. Puente has some promise to being a good International player, doubt he'll see much action in Madrid. The other Moreno shows practically no promise at all but I signed him anyway.

Youth Intake

Nestor Diego Puente

Jonathan Moreno

Panama News

My 1st game in charge was a friendly against St Pierre it was a bore draw but I had seen enough of the players to know that they were capable of winning games at this level. We won every other friendly bar one, which was a 2-1 defeat to Chile despite dominating most of the game. In the Central American Nations Cup we drew the 1st game 1-1 with Guatemala, before going on to beat Belize and Nicaragua 3-0 and 2-0 respectively. This meant we topped the group and qualified for the Semi-finals. El Salvador proved to be too strong though beating us 4-1. The 3rd place playoff matched us against Guatemala, we proved to have got over those opening game nerves by winning 3-1. This performance was enough to qualify us for the Gold Cup.

The Gold Cup put us in a group involving Jamaica and the USA. So it was going to be a challenge, our 1st game was against familiar opponents Guatemala. We won 3-0 and it gave me hope of maybe pulling off a shock result. We went down 1-0 to Jamaica in the next game but it was a close affair and a point in that match may have been enough to qualify. This meant we had to beat the US to go through, 10 minutes in when Donovan scored I knew this wasn't going to be our day, 4 more goals later and I had suffered the biggest defeat of my International reign. Strangely 3 points were enough to qualify us for the quarter finals but we were beaten 3-1 AET by Haiti

2014 Fixtures

2015 Fixtures

CAN Cup

Gold Cup

[b][u]Real Madrid[/u][/b]
Season	| League	| Cup		| Europe
---------------------------------------------------------
2011/12	| 1st		| Runners-up	| CL semi-Finals
2012/13	| 1st		| Winners	| CL 1st KO round
2013/14	| 1st		| Winners	| CL Winners
2014/15	| 1st		| Winners	| CL semi-finals

[b][u]Panama Under 21's[/u][/b]
Season	| FYI
---------------------
2013/14	| Group Stage

[b][u]Panama[/u][/b]
Season	| CAN Cup	| Gold Cup	| World Cup Quals	| World Cup
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
2014/15	| 3rd Place	| Quarter final	| N/A			| N/A

Hold the Phone just got this message

Gold Cup Quarter-finals

Dinamo Minsk/Belarus 2016 Season Review

Squad - League - Champions League

Another year another league title. Europe is the aim now. After a good run in the Europa league we are now ranked 66th in Europe as a club. Very happy with that as it shows progression. Next step is to try and get a 3rd seed when the CL group draws are being made. Qualification into the groups is becoming easy enough but we had another very tough group. Roma, A.Madrid and Benfica is not easy but we made a great start with two wins. Thought it would be the year we make the KO stage but we only managed 1 more point to finish 3rd. We'll have another crack at the Europa league. Plenty more action for the youngsters and I will be selling one of more established strikers to give them even more playing time. Really hope to qualify for KO stage within the next year or two. The club is building nicely with constant stadium and training facility upgrades. Just need to make the next step now.

Youth Intake

Got some defenders through this year which is just what I needed. I think Branfilov and Rusak show quite a lot of potential and will be eased into the 1st team as soon as possible.

Branfilov

Chernyavskiy

Rusak

Belarus News

I took charge of the U-21 team for a game but decided to resign and wait for the top job. Could be a while off as the manager is still quite young and his status is shown as very secure but it will be worth it. Hoping my youngsters will just be about peaking by the time I get the job and I will have a decent shot at qualification for the tournaments.

SBB - good progress there, a bit of a shame about the champions league, Rusak looks like he's going to score a few from corners with that height and his jumping and heading.

Brettney1980 - That FA Cup will come soon, any sign of the Sri Lankan job becoming available?

Good luck to all newcomers, nice to see a good mix of Nations and clubs, will be interesting to see what the Non-European clubs youth intakes look like

Brettney1980 - That FA Cup will come soon, any sign of the Sri Lankan job becoming available?

I've just had a little taster of the job after becoming the U23's manager for the 2014 Asian Games (but i couldn't pick my own squad for some reason). Didn't do great a win, a draw and a loss saw us finish 3rd not making it out of the group stages.

EDIT: Oh and the FA Cup will not be coming to Old Trafford this year again thanks to Rooney again missing a Penalty (we go out to Chelsea on Pens in the 4th round).

I've just got bad news, my laptop has a problem with it and it needs to be fixed, they reckon it could take about 10 days. Fortunately I saved my game onto a dongle but unfortunately the GF says I can use her PC for internet but not for FM :( so I wont be able to update on my save til I get the Laptop back.

I've just got bad news, my laptop has a problem with it and it needs to be fixed, they reckon it could take about 10 days. Fortunately I saved my game onto a dongle but unfortunately the GF says I can use her PC for internet but not for FM :( so I wont be able to update on my save til I get the Laptop back.

Well thats some bad news ... Just when you were making a start as Panama boss.

fnordfjord.jpg

UPDATE FOR August 31st, 2012

CONTAINS PLAYER NAMING

This is a list of the 2011/2012 transfers for Inter: LINKY LINK

Nenê and Willian have both been fantastic for me last season. The fact that I wasn't really paying attention when we did the second half of the season registration and Nenê was left out of the registration by my (now ex) assistant is partially to blame for us not winning the Euro Cup I think. He was really spectacular. Team of the week 9 times, two goal of the month awards, 2012 Serie A team of the year and Seasonal best 11 for Inter.

Robbie Cotton was a youth player from England that looks pretty amazing but has had a terrible time adapting to Italy. I let him have leave and scrounged around to find another English youth (Bradley Hunter form Chelsea) to bring in this season but he still has requested to be transfer listed. Hopefully he'll learn some Italian while he's out on loan and can come back with a better attitude. I actually forgot/got tired of him whining about it so I've put him out on loan to Genoa so he can wine at them about not playing enough. Sorry dude, you're amazing for a 17 year old, but you still ain't first team material for Inter.

Dinamo Minsk/Belarus 2017 Season Review

Won league again. In Europe we were made 3rd seeds. Thought this would give us a great chance, if we got a bit of luck, of qualifying for the KO stages for the first time. Unfortunately we drew Bayern and Real Madrid along with AEK. Still we gave it a good shot and came 3rd with 9 points after beating Mardid away and AEK twice. Into the Europa league and a winnable tie against Standard Liege. I have decided to take a chance on next years league performance by selling all my established Belarusians. They have been getting in the way of me bringing some of my youngsters through as they perform week in week out and are still quite young at 24-27yrs. Should do the national team some good if I can bring in another decent group. Plus it raises some more cash to upgrade facilities which are getting close to being the best around (I think the youth facilities are now maxed out).

Youth Intake

Wasn't a great intake this year but Khatskevich looks decent. 5* PA according to my staff so we'll see what he brings. Will be getting quite a bit of first team football due to my plan to off load the first teamers. The other two shown are best of the rest with 3* PA

Khatskevich

Kuznetsov

Satsunkevich

Belarus News

They came 2nd, undefeated, in the World Cup qualifying group behind Italy. Knocked out by Switzerland in the play offs. Means they are down to 34th in the rankings but the managers job is still shown as secure. Hope he resigns or gets sacked within the next couple of years

Brettney's Manchester United Sri Lankan Adventure: Season 2014/15

Again the only trophy that eludes me is the FA Cup, and it was those damned Penalties that did it again. We did get revenge on Chelsea though beating them in the League Cup Final. We also won the Champions League and Premier League titles.

Premier League: Won.

Community Shield: Won.

Champions League: Won.

FA Cup: Lost.

League Cup: Won.

Transfers 1 and 2.

Squad Stats|Team Report

International News;

Took charge of the Sri Lanka U23's for the Asian Games managing a 1-1 draw with Kyrgyzstan. A 2-0 loss to India and finally a 2-1 win over Vietnam. But this wasn't enough to see us out of the group and my spell in charge of the U23's comes to an end.

277501lyon2011copie.png192969d1314107122-hermanchides-nations-kit-pack-wip-liecchtenstein_1.png

2014 saw us come slightly unstuck in the league. Bad results against our rivals and a couple of rough patches meant we could only manage second place. Our Cup performances were also pretty woeful, but in Europe we managed to cruise through our Champions League group before knocking out Man Utd and CSKA Moscow on our way to losing to Liverpool in the semis. A good run and one I'm happy with, although we need to win it sooner rather than later :)

The National team managed to finish above both Latvia and Lithuania in their World Cup Qualifying group, and have pulled themselves up to hold position at around the 100 mark

That would be great news Biscotti, should really help bring some players through if they improve the facilities rather than just buy loads of players. Could do with someone taking over one off my rivals in Belarus. Would give me a bit of competition and bring some more decent youngsters through rather than just relying on me

I'm in!

Having just won the Premier League with Droylsden I'm looking to put aside my main game and try something else so a bit. Ramping up the difficulty I'm going to give a shot at running this challenge alongside ri916's

Youth Academy Challenge (and if you're following both threads you may notice these posts are a bit similar!)

Step forward Charlie Nguyen.

As required by ri916's challenge rules I holidayed until 2012 and picked a newly promoted team - Carshalton.

I loaded up all the game's Vietnamese players, all players in the Vietnamese league and all the Asian leagues in addition to the challenge's required database.

And here's the Carlashton squad.

I expet its going to take a very long time before there's anything even approaching success in this game, and the inability to sign players makes it difficult for me to really engage with my team at present, so I'm going to hammer through the early seasons pretty quickly.

Edit: A quick look at Vietnam. I've got 1,300 Vietnamese players loaded, which is reassuring to see. Slightly less reassuring is that the most expensive 'pure' Vietnamese (ie not dual nationality) player in the game is worth a whopping... 95k. Intriguingly, by far the best Vietnamese player in the game is Yohan Cabaye, who apparently has a Vietnamese grandmother. Shame he plays for France.

The best player eligible for the national team is probably this guy - a sorry state of affairs. The best named player is undoubtedly the schizophrenic stylings of Marcos Jeferson Farias Valentim Le Trong Son.

Fun fact of the day: despite having never got to the World Cup, more people watch the competition in Vietnam than in any country in the world - with the exceptions of Brazil and China.

Unlucky with that takeover, still if you get to the point where the board let you pick a feeder club go for Vaduz and send some fringe players there way to improve them.

On another note my laptop should be back in my possession on the 30th so I should be able to continue with the save next weekend

Dinamo Minsk/Belarus 2018 Season Review

Got handed another tough group in the CL and thought we were going to qualify with one game to go. We were home to Koln and if I beat them I just needed Madrid to hold Juve to a draw. We won out game easily and with 10 mins to go the other game was 1-1. Then Juve grabbed to late goals to send us into the Europa league again and a tie with Celtic. Had some great news when the club agreed to build a new 35k all seater stadium which is due in a couple of years. All the youngsters who were promoted last year and got games performed brilliantly. I am looking at moving on some more experienced heads again this year, mainly due to the fact that a lot of them are looking at moving to bigger clubs and will only sign new contracts with very small minimum release fee or very high wages. Next year, next year we will qualify for the KO stages.

Youth Intake

Not a great year again and only two players of note. They are only 3* PA and aren't too bad but I would be happier if they had higher determination ratings.

Fastov

Vysotskiy

Belarus News

Still no sign of the manager giving up the role. Thye have had a poor start to the Euro qualifiers though as only drew with Armenia and lost to Romania. Dropped a lot in rankings and are currently 53rd.

Looks like I'm going to lose my captain and best player. Can't get him to sign a new contract as wants 3x more than the board will allow me to offer. Bought him as a raw 18yr old 5 years ago for £2.1m, my first big signing for the club. Still only valued at £2.1m by the game but I think he is a £30m player. Has the likes of Roma and Juve watching him at the moment.

Sebastian Martinez is the player and I'm gutted to be losing him. He's pivotal in the TM role I use. Gets loads of goals and assists every year. Think I may even just let his contract run down and keep him for the remaning two years

ShyBaldBuddhist - a lot can happen in that length of time. Hold on to him and see how it goes; I've had plenty of players with unreasonable wage requests who change their minds as the club's stature progresses.

Charlie Nguyen - Carshalton Viet 2012/13 - Blue Square South

If anyone wants detail on my season then head over to the Youth Academy Challenge thread. This is a much shorter update as there's a lot less relevant to say. I got promotion and improved my JC/YR, but no Vietnamese players in my youth intake and I expect it'll remain that way for a long time.

Vietnam did rubbish in the AFF championship and Asian Cup quals. They had a meteoric rise to 130th in the world rankings at one point but have settled at ~165.

Think I will keep hold of him. The £4-5m I could realistically get for him wouldn't be as important as him playing for the two years. And, as you say, may even get him to sign within that time. In other news I reached the Europa league quarters again. Beat Celtic and Fiorentina but then underestimated Rennes and got hammered.

Unlucky with that takeover, still if you get to the point where the board let you pick a feeder club go for Vaduz and send some fringe players there way to improve them.

On another note my laptop should be back in my possession on the 30th so I should be able to continue with the save next weekend

Already did, and already did :p I was given the option in my second season.

Got all 3 of my Liechtensteiner kids over there at the moment, and they're getting a little bit of game time (Vaduz sit top of the challenge league, too)

Dinamo Minsk/Belarus 2019 Season Review

Yet again we get a tough group. I'm sick of facing Real Madrid, even though my record against them isn't too bad. It came down to poor decisions by me again for the reason we didn't qualify. Thought PSG would be stronger so played the defensive side of my formation I save for the big guns. They were no where need as good as I thought though and we should have beaten them at home. In the end we have to be satisfied with the Europa league again. Been drawn with Twente and I think it is a tie we can win. In another error by me I had left the ass man to renew contracts. Got a message saying Martinez has signed a new deal \0/ checked the contract and min release is £2.7m /o\. We have to qualify for KO stages next year, it will give us the push in reputation I am striving for now.

Youth Intake

Got some decent players through this year. Sivakov and Khatskevich are rated at 3 1/2* and Shtanyuk is 4*

Khatskevich

Sivakov

Shtanyuk

Belarus News

Think it will be a matter of time now before the boss is sacked. They failed to quailfy for the Euro's from a pretty easy looking group. They are up to 46th in the rankings and he has finally started calling up some of my stars. Hopefully I will soon be in the big show.

fnordfjord.jpg

End of 2012/2013 Season Report

The Goals

1. Win League Title - 2012, 2013
  2. Win Champions League - Not complete
  3. Win World Cup - Not complete

2013 Cup Finishes

• European Champions Cup - Quarter Finals - Knocked out by Real Madrid 3-2 on aggregate.
  • Italian Cup - Winner - Wound up playing Chievo (who is being relegated this year) and won handily 0-3.
  • Italian Super Cup - Winner - Beating out Juve just like I beat them in the Cup last year, penalty shootout.

2012 League Tables

Senior Squad - 1st place by 16 points, qualified for ECC.

U20's - 1st place Group 1 by 15 points.

Status of International Achievements

Manager for Finland - Position still filled by Mixu Paatelainen (Still Secure)

Finland World Ranking - Currently 56th as of June 1st, 2013.

Fnord Fjord is currently in 3rd place in the Finnish manager hall of fame with 102 points.

2012/2013 Transfers

Transfer list: HERE

Lots of the free transfers back in were loans expiring. The main transfer I had this season was Eugene Konoplyanka. He's done fairly well though I think he will get better as he grows. The majority of my other intakes were youth prospects.

2012/2013 Youth Intake

Here's the youth candidates we got in March: SUCKAS. Rocco Gervasio looks like he might be amazing but the rest of the squad was fairly Meh.

Internationals have just come around and I spot that Belarus have had a change of manager. I didn't get any news item for it so didn't apply as I didn't know it was available. Check my news subscriptions and for some reason that subscription has been removed. Going to have to wait a few years now for a shot at the national job. :mad:

Dinamo Minsk/Belarus 2020 Season Review

We were seeded 2nd for the CL this year but still couldn't qualify for the KO stage. Went with a different approach by signing a few better players but most were foreigners which meant I couldn't play them all in the league games. It didn't pay off though as finish 3rd again and went into the Europa league. Going to stick with with the plan this year as we got very close and if we had beaten Panathinaikos in the first game I think we would have made it. We had to go for bust against Lyon and they picked us off on the counter attack.

Youth Intake

I think Afansiev looks a decent prospect and have put him straight into the first team squad. He should get himself around 20 games this coming season. Think the other two should also be challenging for 1st team spots within the next year or two.

Afansiev

Fastov

Goncharenko

Belarus News

Currently 3rd in a very tight World Cup qualifying group. Could go either way depending on results against Ireland and Albania. Now ranked 49th in the world rankings. The new manager did himself a massive favour by calling up Sebastian Martinez who had taken Belarusian nationality. He has started off well with 5 goals in 8 games.

Dinamo Minsk/Belarus 2020 Season Review

We had a great start to the season as we reached the semi finals of the Europa League. Juve were too strong over the two legs but it was only 4-2 on aggregate. This meant quite a leap in our co-efficient rating and we went straight into the group stages without any qualifiers. I had quite a grin on my face when the groups were announced. Up against Milan, Copenhagen and Lokomotiv Moscow I felt we had the best chance yet of making the KO stages. We finished second and for the first time we get to try out the Champions League knock out stages. We meat Besiktas in the first round, a tie I feel we can win. Definitely making progress now.

Youth Intake

I have been crying out for a DM. The Belarusian ones I have are not very good so I have to keep buying foreigners for the role. Imagine my delight then when I get 3 of them in my intake, all with 4* potential.

Lukhvich

Rusak

Sokolovksiy

Belarus News

They failed to qualify for the upcoming World cup but the manager remains in the job for the time being. Moved up to 47th in the world helped a lot by loads of my youngsters now making the grade and getting regular call ups. My plan to sell my youth once they have reached max potential at my club appears to be working as we now have a lot more youngsters stepping up.

Archived