Football Manager 2013

I think this years release was 1 of best so far as in bug wise, 12.2 seem to have caused more problems then anything, as for the M.E/corners well we know there a new M.E In progress so fingers crossed, as for injuries im not sure if you mean the accurence or types or both or something else :) if its the accurence the actual percent of injuries in fm is very close to the real life % i remember Paulc posting the statistics for fm and real life a while back, i think the problem is in fm you seem to get loads all at same time

All within the first 3 weeks of the season start :

Demel, 6 weeks, knee - McCartney, 6 weeks, shoulder - Taylor, 6 weeks, knee - Carew, 3 months, broken foot, Cole, 3 months, broken ankle, Maynard 3 weeks knee. Not sure on the latest patch as i've just started the game but players struggled to get back on previous patches from non career threatening injuries as well. I'm hoping that isn't the case with that little lot!!

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 of my ideas:

1. Youth/ Reserve Player Recommendations/Feedback

2. Starting off managing U18 (club)

I really like the sound of both of these ideas, but particularly the first one - getting feedback from your backroom staff as to whether a player might be ready for making the step up would massively help with youth development in the game. Really, I think that youth development is one of the three main areas (the others being international management and player/staff interactions) that needs serious development.

I'd like to see the ability to transfer FM 2012 saves onto Fm 2013. Will this happen? No. But it would be nice.

That would be fantastic but I'll bet it'd be a nightmare to implement. One to stick on the Perfect World wishlist!

I love Football Manager games and i play them since CM Italy 90's game. As i think the graphics engine is too poor for now i still play this game with "commentary only" and that's where i think the game needs to improve, the in game commentary with much more variety of comments. The rest i think the game is going the right way, just don't give too much time to those kids who would like this game to become "The Sims Football Manager" or "Football Manager Car Park Tycoon", keep the game simple and addicted as it was since the first one. Cheers.

Please please please, put records on the game, national and world records. Only a smallish ask but would make it great breaking transfer records and others also the press could pick up on this in the press conference. Also I really think that off field troubles would add more realism players getting drunk and arrested and again having the press pick up on this. Also i like the kit idea a new kit should be able to be picked as teams in real life do this a lot.

National, continental, world records, etc. would be a fantastic addition!

Dunno about off-field troubles. While I agree it'd add more realism, I'm not sure it's the kind of realism that I'd want to see in the game. Maybe if it was kept to small stuff like, as you say, drunk & disorderly in a nightclub or coming in for training still drunk/hungover. What I would like to see more of is player unhappiness and the like to give player's more personality - players refusing to train or even refusing to play; it would make player management a bit more critical and affect team performance to a greater extent. Currently, even the unhappiest of players can be brought round without too much issue.

I like most of your ideas that you put up here, but I want to add one thing to International call-ups for German players.

Ive played a few times now where I have German players valued above $40M and yet they dont get called-up, because

German national team keeps calling-up virtual players. It gets a little frustrating, because you see other players get called-up

and their skills just shoot up after few national appearances and yet my German players miss out on that. Even if they

end-up qualifying to play for another nation they never seem to get picked...

I like most of your ideas that you put up here, but I want to add one thing to International call-ups for German players.

Ive played a few times now where I have German players valued above $40M and yet they dont get called-up, because

German national team keeps calling-up virtual players. It gets a little frustrating, because you see other players get called-up

and their skills just shoot up after few national appearances and yet my German players miss out on that. Even if they

end-up qualifying to play for another nation they never seem to get picked...

This is deliberate and is, I believe, due to licensing issues.Google is your friend.

Improve the 3D match engine. Its very poor compared to todays gaming standards

Eh, personally, I'm not that fussed about the match engine's graphics. Football Manager is a management game, and pretty-pretties are just a finishing touch, rather than a core element. No objections to seeing a continuation of the improvements to the ME's appearance, but wouldn't want it to take a higher priority than the game's mechanics. While the graphics might be a bit basic compared to other games out there, there's not that many games left that are pure management/strategy, and it'd be pointless comparing the graphics to those of games in a different genre.

Eh, personally, I'm not that fussed about the match engine's graphics. Football Manager is a management game, and pretty-pretties are just a finishing touch, rather than a core element. No objections to seeing a continuation of the improvements to the ME's appearance, but wouldn't want it to take a higher priority than the game's mechanics. While the graphics might be a bit basic compared to other games out there, there's not that many games left that are pure management/strategy, and it'd be pointless comparing the graphics to those of games in a different genre.

Its only a management game at the moment due to the terrible graphics. Both the game mechanics and the graphical elements should be improved on a par, and the reason FM is so far behind graphically is because their development team is tiny compared to such houses as Total War.

I agree, there aren't many games out there of this nature, however if there was decent competition im sure we would see the FM team increase and it'd be unlikely that we'd see very basic improvements year after year, as we have since FM10. It's a shame, the FM team are obviously working hard but the lack of major improvements makes me wonder whether im actually correct in my assessment

Its only a management game at the moment due to the terrible graphics. Both the game mechanics and the graphical elements should be improved on a par, and the reason FM is so far behind graphically is because their development team is tiny compared to such houses as Total War.

I agree, there aren't many games out there of this nature, however if there was decent competition im sure we would see the FM team increase and it'd be unlikely that we'd see very basic improvements year after year, as we have since FM10. It's a shame, the FM team are obviously working hard but the lack of major improvements makes me wonder whether im actually correct in my assessment

it's a bit unfair assesment to be honest.. as previously stated this is a MANAGEMENT game.. not a FIFA or PES.. the 3-D match engine isn't there to have that level of detail but is there to show a 3-D representation of the user's tactics.. nothing more.. it does its job..

it's a bit unfair assesment to be honest.. as previously stated this is a MANAGEMENT game.. not a FIFA or PES.. the 3-D match engine isn't there to have that level of detail but is there to show a 3-D representation of the user's tactics.. nothing more.. it does its job..

"Does its job" implies "It can be better". Which is the point of this thread.

FM has always been and never tried to be anything else than a management game.

As has been pointed out graphics are far from being an important part of the game but despite this they have been consistently improved each version.

If you are someone who judges FM on the quality of its graphics then I would say you don't "get" what FM is.

I think there should be an option to personally scout a player for you club. Arranging a pre-season friendly is the only option to scout player until this edition, i want it to be expanded.

Or alternatively we can request scout for highlights for a match in which the particular player is playing.

A small change, but I'd quite like to see the portraits of re-gen players expanded to include the collar and top of the shirt for the club they're currently playing for - would make them a bit more than disembodied heads and add a little more feel to the game. Not a change I'd be heartbroken over if it wasn't included, mind, just a small thing that would add more flavour to the game, IMO :)

I'd like to be able to focus your youth system on a specific playing style and extend this to the type of players your club produces.

Barcelona for example produce players who pass the ball on the floor all the time, and keep it short and simple. So creating an academy like La Macia, where you can direct a specific playing style would be great. Therefore you could produce regens that can all play simple passes, or who have a higher rating on technical skills like dribbling, passing and positioning rather than pure physical attributes. Similarly, you could go the other direction and specifically produce players who are more suited to a direct game. Don't really know how they would do this, but it would give greater team building potential to the game

For me I want to see a profile for referees and stadiums,

for example for referees you could rate them on vision, harshness, stamina and some other attributes, this would make it necessary to remove real referees from the game for legal issues but for me that would be no great loss,

For stadium you could give a proper profile with attributes like, capacity, atmosphere, crowd support, home/away seats, condition

I don't think there is much of a need to focus on the youth systems further but a more realistic relationship between clubs and youth systems would be fantastic

Also instead of having words I would prefer a more quantitative look to some of the answers you give in press conferences and other things, as sometimes its hard to convey the answer you want to give or you feel limited by the available answers so you go for the one which is closest.

A more realistic and progressive AI would improve the game as I do agree in the latter years it becomes too easy, Maybe you could make different game difficulties, Easy, Medium, REAL or something to meet the needs of all players although I don't know how easy this would be to bring it out across the whole game

Match Engine -- way too many own goals. Yesterday in a game Cavani scored 5 goals, but was only credited for 3 because two of them were tipped by the keeper and bounced off the post, so they were chalked up as "own goals" by the keeper. I think this is important because goal-scoring improves a player's market value, so he should be credited for goals like that.

Transfers -- bidding wars. When a player becomes available, the AI has a price in mind that they want -- and then they just accept all bids above that price. It would make more sense for the selling club to leverage buying clubs against each other to drive up the price.

Match Engine -- way too many own goals. Yesterday in a game Cavani scored 5 goals, but was only credited for 3 because two of them were tipped by the keeper and bounced off the post, so they were chalked up as "own goals" by the keeper. I think this is important because goal-scoring improves a player's market value, so he should be credited for goals like that.

Agreed. This seems to be a common issue with football games - AI doesn't look at whether the ball was goal-bound before the deflection, it just seems to consider any deflection beyond a certain degree to be an own goal, which is ridiculous. The number of times you'll see a keeper get a hand to the ball but it's not enough to keep it out of the goal and it gets given as an own-goal is daft.

more ways to get rid of deadwood players:

- be able to offer paying partial X% player's wages until year ____ when transferring them out

- be able to offer paying 100% player's wages for X years when transferring them out, etc

Yeah, I'd definitely like to see managers able to offer to pay a part of the player's wages, rather than it only coming up on rare occurrences and outside of the manager's control.

I really would enjoy the possibility to add the languages you actually speak, as I speak five foreign languages in real life, but cannot add this feature in my in-game alter ego... I think it would add a bit of depth to your in-game life.

I really would enjoy the possibility to add the languages you actually speak, as I speak five foreign languages in real life, but cannot add this feature in my in-game alter ego... I think it would add a bit of depth to your in-game life.

I'd also like to see this. While I'm only fluent in English, I do speak enough basic German and French that it would help me settle in a country where either of those was the predominant language.

Would quite like to be able to put in other manager stats, such as Ambition, Determination, Adaptability, etc. Or does the game automatically calculate these depending on your performances?

I'd also like to see this. While I'm only fluent in English, I do speak enough basic German and French that it would help me settle in a country where either of those was the predominant language.

Would quite like to be able to put in other manager stats, such as Ambition, Determination, Adaptability, etc. Or does the game automatically calculate these depending on your performances?

This is something i always feel sad about in FM. Why us, human managers, dont have the same stats as the AI managers?

AI managers have stats for, attacking, deffending, JPA, JPC, determination, Level of discipline, etc etc etc

And us, human managers, only have 8 stats, and some of them really dont make any sence to me, like domestic player bios.

I want stats like the others managers, i want to look at my profile and see if i'm better then Mourinho or Alex Fergusson.

For example, at the start of a career, we could have all our stats at 10 (or even a inferior value), and then, depending on our performance this stats would rise or fall.

This is something i always feel sad about in FM. Why us, human managers, dont have the same stats as the AI managers?

AI managers have stats for, attacking, deffending, JPA, JPC, determination, Level of discipline, etc etc etc

And us, human managers, only have 8 stats, and some of them really dont make any sence to me, like domestic player bios.

I want stats like the others managers, i want to look at my profile and see if i'm better then Mourinho or Alex Fergusson.

For example, at the start of a career, we could have all our stats at 10 (or even a inferior value), and then, depending on our performance this stats would rise or fall.

Definitely :thup:

I think those stats determine only how he will do his job. In our case (human managers) would be exactly the opposite, meaning that the stats will be determined by how you are managing the club.

For comparing yourself against AI managers, you have the Hall of Fame.

And, if you're let's say Newcastle and win the PL title in the first year, would you say that you're better than Sir Alex? Because the attributes won't go up that much in only a year and he will still beat you at this.

I think those stats determine only how he will do his job. In our case (human managers) would be exactly the opposite, meaning that the stats will be determined by how you are managing the club.

Obviously.

For comparing yourself against AI managers, you have the Hall of Fame.

It's just one more thing to compare yourself against them with. Stats would also allow you to see how you're doing early on in your career, and let you know if you're heading in the right direction. Additionally, given that the hall of fame is only the very best managers of all time, having more stats would allow you to compare yourself to other managers who might not have had the success of the Fergusons and Mourinhos but who are still laudable managers.

And, if you're let's say Newcastle and win the PL title in the first year, would you say that you're better than Sir Alex? Because the attributes won't go up that much in only a year and he will still beat you at this.

Who said anything about comparing after a year? I think you're kinda missing the point here.

It's just one more thing to compare yourself against them with. Stats would also allow you to see how you're doing early on in your career, and let you know if you're heading in the right direction. Additionally, given that the hall of fame is only the very best managers of all time, having more stats would allow you to compare yourself to other managers who might not have had the success of the Fergusons and Mourinhos but who are still laudable managers.

I don't think you need stats to see if you're going in the right direction. You have the results for this.

I have the same thoughts for the bolded part, but for me that another thing are not the stats :)

Who said anything about comparing after a year? I think you're kinda missing the point here.

I was just an example to show that stats don't always show if A is better than B. I agree though it was an exaggerated one :p

ability to change kits before start of the match. please add this and im happy!

You mean for all the times when you get a kit combination that's technically very different but in practice looks confusingly similar? Yeah, would be nice. Seems to be a feature common to just about every other football game out there, and for good reason.

I like the U-18/17/15/10 thing, it gives more realism. And the Youth Facilities building in the world.

I liked also about to play a fm12 save in a future fm13, as any save versions.

But what I'd like to become a chairman during the game or start a save that way. Because sometimes I like playing for certain club so much I'd like to manager it like a chairman, have total control, as on as off the field.

About the 3d I'd more animations, for dribbles, and goal celebrations. I saw the new goal celebrations on FM12 and I liked them, I found funny and could have more of them, and creative.

In Tactical, there are some things in CM 2010 could be used, for example beyond arrows for movements with the ball, you can set arrows pointing for who/where a play can pass, mainly (ex you can invent a triangulation pass with the strikers and the AM always to try breaking the defense).

In Trainning, I would like a 3D version. You could make some kind of trainnings and see how that player is reacting at that trainning. It would give u more confidence to make your formation, putting a player in good moment. And depeding how the player reacts, it could influence their moral, and of course, improve their habilities. Also: the Free Kick widget is better than FM one. You can put the players in any place on area and create a set piece step-by-step, having many variations.

SI won't do it for god knows what reason, but the game needs much improved board interaction, especially in regards to facilities and staff numbers. I'd hoped by now they'd have included a mode where you can completely control this aspect of the game.

I'd like the following to make the game more challenging / realistic

AI Squad building / tactics improvements

Make signing players (particularly good players) a real battle. Remember a game called The Double in the 80's - when you went for a player to sign or buy other clubs made it a real battle to sign them because there were often up to 5 or 6 clubs putting in good bids for the player making it tough to get them and a real achievement when you did sign them. Its a bit ridiculous atm when you go for a good player in the free list or transfer list and there is no other club making bids - way to easy and unrealistic. I think there should be bidding wars for these players (like in The Double).

The quality of player on the Free List is way too high maybe and there are too many players on the Free List - too easy to get good players for nothing with no effort involved. Added to the fact there is no "battle" for these players makes it way too easy to acquire them.

On the insta-result theme - I don't quite feel instant-result is necessary, however, we often have a bar at the bottom with events that happened during a match, and what the "time" is at. If a player could simply click on a time in the match - let's say 70 minutes, it could pop up asking if you want to go to that time in the match, and if you click yes, and you initiate it say 10 minutes in, it would play from 10-minutes to 70 instantly, and only stop early if there were any injuries, or red cards requiring action.

So say you click 70, but a player gets injured at 35 minutes on your team, it stops, you can make your subsitution, then you have to click again to go to 70 minutes (logic being, you might want to see what impact your sub had). You could make it fully customiseable, so like have an option for it to stop when a goal is scored, or even for minor injuries not requiring action. Or just go on.

Since the assistant manager taking credit for holiday matches came in - it has dissuaded me a bit from the game, I like the long-term, I don't have time to play every single match or even the majority of them on my own - nor do I want to. I enjoy playing out the more important, cruicial matches, but speeding through the less cruical ones.

Please give me the possibillity to turn off all the media junk i have to answer all the time. It's boring and annoying. And fewer clicks please, i think when i have to get out of any player chat etc. i have to click 3 times, again annoying. Otherwise i'm ok . FM12 have been one of the better ones in the series.

Please give me the possibillity to turn off all the media junk i have to answer all the time. It's boring and annoying. And fewer clicks please, i think when i have to get out of any player chat etc. i have to click 3 times, again annoying. Otherwise i'm ok . FM12 have been one of the better ones in the series.

Just set your Assistant to handle it all...

One I would absolutely love to see is a Dugout Camera. If you're a manager you stand in the dugout, you're not watching it on TV. Would be great to get a real manager's perspective IMO.

Also, I just don't feel that much of an achievement when I win a trophy. Surely it wouldn't be difficult to set up some sort of Trophy Presentation after the final/league winning game. Would be far more realistic than players just trudging off the pitch.

Those are more graphics issues which I know are secondary to the other issues that are on the game such as AI but they have already been discussed at length and I'd say I have nothing to add with regards to them.

Make some requests to the board before sign a contract extension, like more money to spend or improve the field or atract more fans... could be a good idea.

This is mentioned in the original post :thup:

One I would absolutely love to see is a Dugout Camera. If you're a manager you stand in the dugout, you're not watching it on TV. Would be great to get a real manager's perspective IMO.

Also, I just don't feel that much of an achievement when I win a trophy. Surely it wouldn't be difficult to set up some sort of Trophy Presentation after the final/league winning game. Would be far more realistic than players just trudging off the pitch.

Those are more graphics issues which I know are secondary to the other issues that are on the game such as AI but they have already been discussed at length and I'd say I have nothing to add with regards to them.

Love the idea of a dugout camera! Would definitely be an interesting view though not sure I'd want to watch the whole match like that :)

Some sort of ceremony for cup wins would definitely be nice. Or at least fans on the pitch, players waving scarves and hugging, that sort of thing.

I'm not buying the new game if it doesn't utilize more than 1 cpu core. The performance gains would be great and it isn't the 90s.

Would be nice if it could address more RAM, too. Never see it go above 2 gigs usage, which leaves me with another 10 gigs sitting around bored.

No game uses more than 2 gigs ram.

Also i thought the game utilize more than 1 cpu core.

The game doesn't need more micromanagement stuff.Just keep it simple and make it as bugless as possible.

However the stats thing on human managers is very interesting and should be added.

No game uses more than 2 gigs ram.

Also i thought the game utilize more than 1 cpu core.

The game doesn't need more micromanagement stuff.Just keep it simple and make it as bugless as possible.

However the stats thing on human managers is very interesting and should be added.

WoW enabled the LAA (Large-Address Aware) flag in patch 4.1, meaning it can use 4 GB of RAM on 64-bit systems.

Archived