Football Manager 2013

Matt_Ray

Also I find that when your GK is redundant a lot of the time im matches he get 6.8-6.9 ratings if this happens frequently your assistant manager says you should drop him. This needs looking at. Keeper stats should vary i.e if a keeper has nothing to do all game but does the basics well he should be rated on that. Or if he makes some one or two absolute superb stops.

Also I think a close control stat should be introduced. Dribbling is too general. I.e messi and Ronaldo are not the same when it comes to dribbling Ronaldo has quicker feet but messi has better close control. What do you think?

I take your point on The injury prone stat but I think this should also go down the longer the player goes with out injury. I.e RVP injury record is awful but last season he played almost every game. Therefore he is probably over his injuries.

Agreed on the GK issue - it's a minor one but you're right in that it doesn't make much sense when he's getting slated for "poor form" yet hasn't conceded a goal xD

Yes, there's definitely a few players out there who have excellent close control but maybe lack the pace to be effective at dribbling. Ginola in his later years at Spurs, for example, could keep the ball away from an opponent but was never likely to beat his man. However, I don't know if this is already taken into account with Dribbling/Acceleration/Technique or not...

Also agree that injury proneness is a stat that should be changeable. Otherwise fit and healthy players can become sicknotes because of one bad injury, especially hernias and muscle/tendon damage, and while it's not common it has been known for players with injury problems to finally get the right treatment and make a proper recovery. Likewise, young players are more prone to injury due to physical frailness, and veteran players are more prone to injury due to their age, so it's definitely a stat that should vary over a players career.

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Match-view from the bench

Would give you an incredible feeling wouldn't it? Seeing your new stadium packed with supporters, the crowd going wild when you score.. Seeing the action from a close. Besides, this is a manager simulation game, isn't it? Why are we watching the game from the stands or even on the television if we're the manager?

Players retire and reach end of contract

I play with Roma, and in 2016 Totti decided he would retire after the season (July 1 or something). His contract was due to expire June 30, but if I tried to renew the contract he would only accept player+coach. And at that time he was quite horrible, so I didn't really want to pay €20k per week for a mediocre coach and horrible player. When his contract came to an end, he left the club and the fans was devastated that he wasn't offered a job as a coach. Same thing with Zlatan Ibrahimovic who I had signed for free a few seasons back. Also, I was removed from their favored personnel, and Zlatan even got listed in my "Worst opinion" list. They were due to retire, what was I supposed to do?

Contract negotiation

Always let us offed a contract. Always. If any player was offered to triple his current wage per week from a club he would at least consider it.

Also, on more realistic grounds, let us have a more sophisticated chat with the agents during negotiations.

Also, the agent too often demands higher wage for his player. Like with my young right back who signed a €30k per week deal in december, and in july the next year he demanded a new contract even with 4 years remaining on his current... THe chat with the player is normally ok, and he drops the wage hike, but even then the agent keeps nagging, and it leads to a fierce dislike over time, making the next, and REAL contract negotiation very much harder.

Chat with players during the break(matches)

If a player has picked up a knock, let us ask him how he feels. If he think he'll perform as good as normal, or slightly worse. And what will decrease? The pace? The jumping? The Strength? This is vital information that we should be able to get.

Let us read comments on the referee after the match

Yes, you can read it in the post-match, but sometimes I forget and then I remember that situation that costed us the game. Since the actual challenge is very hard to see, like the hand ball, pulling shirt etc we kinda "need" a good summary of the referee's calls during the match.

Even though this is of little value it's always good to have someone to blame:p

Stadium capacity not being used because of empty seats in away-stand

I've wanted to build a new stadium ever since I came to the club. However, this is never granted because we don't fill the stadium. BUT that's not really "my" fault, cause the home stands are often very close to full, BUT the away team has gotten the whole north-end, only to use just a 1/3 of it. This happens way too often. When I was in Swansea, my stadium capacity was built up to a solid 64,000 by 2024 and the away-fans only got a small fraction on the north-east stand.

Match-view from the bench

Would give you an incredible feeling wouldn't it? Seeing your new stadium packed with supporters, the crowd going wild when you score.. Seeing the action from a close. Besides, this is a manager simulation game, isn't it? Why are we watching the game from the stands or even on the television if we're the manager?

Definitely agree that this view would be a great addition to the 3D match engine.

Players retire and reach end of contract

I play with Roma, and in 2016 Totti decided he would retire after the season (July 1 or something). His contract was due to expire June 30, but if I tried to renew the contract he would only accept player+coach. And at that time he was quite horrible, so I didn't really want to pay €20k per week for a mediocre coach and horrible player. When his contract came to an end, he left the club and the fans was devastated that he wasn't offered a job as a coach. Same thing with Zlatan Ibrahimovic who I had signed for free a few seasons back. Also, I was removed from their favored personnel, and Zlatan even got listed in my "Worst opinion" list. They were due to retire, what was I supposed to do?

I'm with you on this one, it's annoying as hell when retiring players demand excessive wages. Related to that, I don't like that players automatically leave the club as soon as their contract expires, as this just does not reflect real life. A lot of players, particularly players reaching the end of their career, will continue to stay at the club if they're anticipating an offer of a new contract, especially if it's a club they love.

Contract negotiation

Always let us offed a contract. Always. If any player was offered to triple his current wage per week from a club he would at least consider it.

Also, on more realistic grounds, let us have a more sophisticated chat with the agents during negotiations.

Also, the agent too often demands higher wage for his player. Like with my young right back who signed a €30k per week deal in december, and in july the next year he demanded a new contract even with 4 years remaining on his current... THe chat with the player is normally ok, and he drops the wage hike, but even then the agent keeps nagging, and it leads to a fierce dislike over time, making the next, and REAL contract negotiation very much harder.

The "not willing to discuss a contract with your club" feature is my single biggest bugbear about FM12. Come to think of it, it's the only feature that actually annoys me (as opposed to just being something I think could be improved). It's ridiculous, absolutely ridiculous. Sure, they may not be interested in negotiating but if you throw an offer on the table what are they going to do, burn it without looking? If real life was FM, Anzhi would never have signed Eto'o because he would have been interested in negotiation with them. As it is, they threw a ridiculous offer his way and he decided that, actually, a club in the middle of nowhere deep in Russia wasn't that bad a prospect after all. We should always, always be able to at least make an offer of a contract, even if they do then reject it immediately. I also dislike that the "need to make an amazing offer" style negotiation is devoid of actual negotiation. You make an offer and have to guess what their idea of "amazing" is, and either you win or lose, there's no negotiating. There should be a "That's not a good enough offer to tempt my client, but if you can up it a little/lot then we might have a deal" agent response.

Chat with players during the break(matches)

If a player has picked up a knock, let us ask him how he feels. If he think he'll perform as good as normal, or slightly worse. And what will decrease? The pace? The jumping? The Strength? This is vital information that we should be able to get.

Yes, there needs to be more feedback on this, rather than just "thinks he can carry on" or "want to carry on but is being hampered". More information as to what type of injury it is, too - if it's a concussion or a knee/ankle injury you're probably going to want to take them off even if they think they can carry on, whereas if it's just a bruising or a minor cut then you're probably going to send them back out.

Let us read comments on the referee after the match

Yes, you can read it in the post-match, but sometimes I forget and then I remember that situation that costed us the game. Since the actual challenge is very hard to see, like the hand ball, pulling shirt etc we kinda "need" a good summary of the referee's calls during the match.

Even though this is of little value it's always good to have someone to blame:p

Yeah, the replays on offsides are helpful, but the 3D engine views don't really allow you to see whether a foul was as bad as is made out, or sometimes even whether or not it was a foul. A real manager would have a chance to see a slo-mo, reverse-angle replay after the match (or at half-time) which would give them a better idea, and this could be represented by better feedback from your assistant - currently it's just "Didn't see the foul" or "It was a vicious foul". How about "Looked like a clean tackle" or "Definitely a foul but the red card was harsh" as additional options?

Just an announcement would be nice, I feel my excitement wanning as they days of nothing go on and on.

Oh ye of little patience! http://www.footballmanager.com/

Now that the game's been announced and we've been treated to a few brief bits of details about new features, and some screenshots, I think it would make more sense to discuss those features and how they relate to what we were hoping for :D

Personally, I'm absolutely delighted to see the option to delegate certain parts of the role to change the realism/involvement level, such as appointing a Director of Football to take over all transfer negotiations. From that screen, I also see there's new staff roles of "Head Scout" and "Head of Youth Development", both of which have been asked for in this thread.

The ability to set a preferred team role and position when loaning players out is also something that's been mentioned in here, so it's good to see that in the screenshots, too.

I like the new player training report screen, with the improved functionality and visibility, and the interface in general looks good - similar to the current version but softer and more user-friendly, with more drop-down menus on the screen rather than dozens of sub-menus, and it looks like there'll also be pop-ups, with further streamlines the interface. Good too to see that the player summary screen has had even more info crammed into it.

I'm in two minds about the introductions of "unlockable" features... I like the addition of the features like "No Transfer Windows" that give you extra gameplay, but not so keen to see "International Management" (from the start of a game) as something that has to be unlocked. However, the conditions to unlock them all seem pretty reasonable, and not something that requires months of gameplay to unlock. Either way, I'm going to wait until I see more on this feature before I form a strong opinion.

Impressions so far? Interface looks more user-friendly, more options for delegation, and the inclusion of a Head of Youth Development suggests that youth teams might be getting a much-needed overhaul. I've not been disappointed by an edition of CM/FM yet since I started with CM 96/97 (ah, Ronaldo as a youngster at PSV!), and I'm cautiously optimistic that FM2013 won't buck that trend ;D

Definitely agree that this view would be a great addition to the 3D match engine.

I'm with you on this one, it's annoying as hell when retiring players demand excessive wages. Related to that, I don't like that players automatically leave the club as soon as their contract expires, as this just does not reflect real life. A lot of players, particularly players reaching the end of their career, will continue to stay at the club if they're anticipating an offer of a new contract, especially if it's a club they love.

The "not willing to discuss a contract with your club" feature is my single biggest bugbear about FM12. Come to think of it, it's the only feature that actually annoys me (as opposed to just being something I think could be improved). It's ridiculous, absolutely ridiculous. Sure, they may not be interested in negotiating but if you throw an offer on the table what are they going to do, burn it without looking? If real life was FM, Anzhi would never have signed Eto'o because he would have been interested in negotiation with them. As it is, they threw a ridiculous offer his way and he decided that, actually, a club in the middle of nowhere deep in Russia wasn't that bad a prospect after all. We should always, always be able to at least make an offer of a contract, even if they do then reject it immediately. I also dislike that the "need to make an amazing offer" style negotiation is devoid of actual negotiation. You make an offer and have to guess what their idea of "amazing" is, and either you win or lose, there's no negotiating. There should be a "That's not a good enough offer to tempt my client, but if you can up it a little/lot then we might have a deal" agent response.

Yes, there needs to be more feedback on this, rather than just "thinks he can carry on" or "want to carry on but is being hampered". More information as to what type of injury it is, too - if it's a concussion or a knee/ankle injury you're probably going to want to take them off even if they think they can carry on, whereas if it's just a bruising or a minor cut then you're probably going to send them back out.

Yeah, the replays on offsides are helpful, but the 3D engine views don't really allow you to see whether a foul was as bad as is made out, or sometimes even whether or not it was a foul. A real manager would have a chance to see a slo-mo, reverse-angle replay after the match (or at half-time) which would give them a better idea, and this could be represented by better feedback from your assistant - currently it's just "Didn't see the foul" or "It was a vicious foul". How about "Looked like a clean tackle" or "Definitely a foul but the red card was harsh" as additional options?

Oh ye of little patience! http://www.footballmanager.com/

Now that the game's been announced and we've been treated to a few brief bits of details about new features, and some screenshots, I think it would make more sense to discuss those features and how they relate to what we were hoping for :D

Personally, I'm absolutely delighted to see the option to delegate certain parts of the role to change the realism/involvement level, such as appointing a Director of Football to take over all transfer negotiations. From that screen, I also see there's new staff roles of "Head Scout" and "Head of Youth Development", both of which have been asked for in this thread.

The ability to set a preferred team role and position when loaning players out is also something that's been mentioned in here, so it's good to see that in the screenshots, too.

I like the new player training report screen, with the improved functionality and visibility, and the interface in general looks good - similar to the current version but softer and more user-friendly, with more drop-down menus on the screen rather than dozens of sub-menus, and it looks like there'll also be pop-ups, with further streamlines the interface. Good too to see that the player summary screen has had even more info crammed into it.

I'm in two minds about the introductions of "unlockable" features... I like the addition of the features like "No Transfer Windows" that give you extra gameplay, but not so keen to see "International Management" (from the start of a game) as something that has to be unlocked. However, the conditions to unlock them all seem pretty reasonable, and not something that requires months of gameplay to unlock. Either way, I'm going to wait until I see more on this feature before I form a strong opinion.

Impressions so far? Interface looks more user-friendly, more options for delegation, and the inclusion of a Head of Youth Development suggests that youth teams might be getting a much-needed overhaul. I've not been disappointed by an edition of CM/FM yet since I started with CM 96/97 (ah, Ronaldo as a youngster at PSV!), and I'm cautiously optimistic that FM2013 won't buck that trend ;D

I was chuffed with this too Matt, but have to admit was a bit disappointed in regards to having a live/SSN style transfer window/deadline day or even something like a scrolling widget bar in the live active transfer window of potential deals/rumours/deals falling through etc etc etc...thoughts?

I was chuffed with this too Matt, but have to admit was a bit disappointed in regards to having a live/SSN style transfer window/deadline day or even something like a scrolling widget bar in the live active transfer window of potential deals/rumours/deals falling through etc etc etc...thoughts?

Disappointed in what way? I've not seen any screenies that indicated anything one way or another about this (possible) feature o.o

Disappointed in what way? I've not seen any screenies that indicated anything one way or another about this (possible) feature o.o

Disappointed that it was not a major new feature that could of possibly been implemented into the game to take it to a whole new level...I.E...FIFA12 ripped out the transfer coding and had a SSN deadline day put in..I did mention it earlier in this thread before the announcement

http://downloads.sega.com/sigames/web/images/assets/games/screens/fm13/full/AFC%20Wimbledon_%20Overview-2.png

just looking at this screenshot of the AFC wimbledon General Information screen - It mentions that MK dons are a rival, with Historic written in brackets.

Just a thought, but this could mean that rivalries may be adjustable now, i.e. you can form new rivalries with teams through competitions, rather than only just having your local/historical rivals.

Could be reading too much into it though.

Disappointed that it was not a major new feature that could of possibly been implemented into the game to take it to a whole new level...I.E...FIFA12 ripped out the transfer coding and had a SSN deadline day put in..I did mention it earlier in this thread before the announcement

Whoa, hold on there! There's "over 900" new features for FM2013, and they've only announced about half a dozen so far! It may well be one of the other 890+ new features that Miles will (probably) be unveiling in video blogs and podcasts over the next month or so :)

1st podcast for this season is out on iTunes now, in case anyone's missed the announcement! :)

Not going to completely summarise an hour-long podcast, but will discuss a few features that got mentioned...

Online matchmaking is apparently being streamlined and being made a lot easier to set up (sounds similar to the method used in Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, which works fantastically), and you can now export your career team to play online matches - a feature that quite a few people in this thread have expressed an interest in!

Greater level of player reaction and interaction with preliminary international squad selection, and apparently quite a sizeable revamp of the international scene in general, including press interaction.

One of the big things that peeved me about last year was Steam. I know and accept that SI are sticking with Steam but, every year I go to a shop and buy Football Manager so I've got a disc in my hand. What then annoys me is that even though I've got the disc, I still have to download the editor through Steam, which is a painful experience seeing as I live out in the sticks and most of the time, our download speeds are atrocious and to seal the deal, capped internet at 60GB a month.

Why can't I just install through the disc?

This continues to be the only community of gamers anywhere on the Internet that doesn't think Steam is fantastic.

Prob :) (the F1 2012 community rejoiced when it was announced that Codemasters were switching from GFWL to Steam).

Just imagine if SI had used GFWL - i'd admit then people would have cause for concern then as GFWL is terrible.

That´s my biggest hope, too. Sigames please remove the Steam connection.
same here. I am back playing FM11

I'd suggest that the issue lies in your computer, not Steam. I've been using Steam ever since it first came out and while it was definitely buggy in that first year, the problems since then are more to to with game/machine compatibility issues than with Steam itself. If FM crashes a lot on your PC, that's not Steam's fault - it would be crashing even without Steam. I've had a (very) few crashes on mine, and not one of them has had anything to do with Steam, it's just been the game or my PC doing something the other wasn't expecting, and that can (and does) happen with any game and any system, it's just one of the foibles of PC gaming - impossible to develop a game to be 100% compatible with the nigh-upon infinite different combinations of hardware/software that players will be running.

Genuine question - have you tried trouble-shooting your crashes or posting on the forums and asking for help? Just speaking from personal experience, I've found that this has resolved 100% of game issues I've had.

This continues to be the only community of gamers anywhere on the Internet that doesn't think Steam is fantastic.

I know, it's bizarre.

That's a great point. Steam is the way forward and there are narrow minded people who prefer to stick to what they know and blame Steam for everything (I read that someone blamed it for getting a Trojan virus)

That's a great point. Steam is the way forward and there are narrow minded people who prefer to stick to what they know and blame Steam for everything (I read that someone blamed it for getting a Trojan virus)

Close friend of mine refused to buy FM12 because of the Steam dependency. Said that he hated Steam because it was so buggy, always crashed, took forever to update, etc. I asked him when he'd last used it... turned out to be about 2003. I was like "Do you not think that maybe it's changed a wee bit in the past decade? :P". Persuaded him to give it a try and he's not had a single problem

Prob :) (the F1 2012 community rejoiced when it was announced that Codemasters were switching from GFWL to Steam).

Just imagine if SI had used GFWL - i'd admit then people would have cause for concern then as GFWL is terrible.

This is obviously where SI missed a trick. They should have used GFWL for one year first and then no one would be complaining about Steam now.

Also, a wish: Tabbed browsing, some time this decade, please! Heck, just port the entire interface to Chrome.

This is obviously where SI missed a trick. They should have used GFWL for one year first and then no one would be complaining about Steam now.

Also, a wish: Tabbed browsing, some time this decade, please! Heck, just port the entire interface to Chrome.

Haha, I think the community would actually have gone into meltdown. Steam isnt perfect, especially for Macs, but its a hell of a lot better than GFWL. And don't get me started on Origin, Or Ubisoft...

i would love in career mode to start as a manager at yth level

and have to earn your right to do certain things ...do your badges to be able to do things

much like in fmlive ...remember how you could only make certain tactical choices untill you had enough stars

this would be awesome

how about putting a stop to clubs offering you the apparant market value of 2.3m for the 18 year old that is playing in your first team 10 or 20 times per transfer window. Just the whole transfer system really needs changing just seems like everyone else hates you, and while clubs will pay big amounts for other teams players it just seems alot more rare that they'll put in reasonable offers for your players, I mean I guess it will never be realistic until both you and the are blind to any maths and can only go off what you see.

yea this this needs sorting as a player you have to pay over odds yet AI wont even pay market value half the time ?

I just need an advice. Do you guys think this cheap pc would run fm 2013 with no problems?

I am afraid of the integrated graphic card DH 4000

Graphic card: http://community.futuremark.com/hardware/gpu/Intel+HD+Graphics+4000/review

PC: http://www.dustinhome.no/Favorites.aspx?list=28b78f791d514631a3ac37477b491519

Yes, it would. If FM is all you play, it's an excellent build. Very fast CPU and whatnot. Only thing you could add to help FM and general system performance is add a nice 128gb SSD like the Samsung 830.

Personally I'd also buy a separate CPU cooler as I've never used a stock Intel/AMD one, but YMMV.

P.S.: Here the difference between the 3570 and 3570k is 10€, so 75 NOK. On your store it's a way higher difference :o

The K model adds much more comfortable overclocking, while it removes the ability to directly access PCI hardware in virtualised machines -- which 99% of users do not need.

yea this this needs sorting as a player you have to pay over odds yet AI wont even pay market value half the time ?

What I find most ridiculous in this regard is that after accepting offers from ten other (AI) clubs, if I ask it how much I'd have to pay, it still asks a higher price of me and I first have to negotiate it down to the offer level it accepted from others - and the others of course themselves don't have to do any negotiations because the AI magically knows what the AI on the other end wants to be paid.

I admit that this "require negotiations" system probably helps if you are making an offer for a top rival's player, as then the selling AI will of course want more money from you

Yes, it would. If FM is all you play, it's an excellent build. Very fast CPU and whatnot. Only thing you could add to help FM and general system performance is add a nice 128gb SSD like the Samsung 830.

Personally I'd also buy a separate CPU cooler as I've never used a stock Intel/AMD one, but YMMV.

P.S.: Here the difference between the 3570 and 3570k is 10€, so 75 NOK. On your store it's a way higher difference :o

The K model adds much more comfortable overclocking, while it removes the ability to directly access PCI hardware in virtualised machines -- which 99% of users do not need.

[/i]

Thanks:) Well i want to run fm 2012 on full speed, so i would buy the 3570k. But i dont like the HD4000 ...

The HD4000 is good enough for FM, just not good enough for "real 3d games" :)

http://wccftech.com/nvidia-planning-announce-price-cuts-geforce-gtx-660ti/ , the best bang for the buck graphics card will likely get a bit cheaper in a few days..

For FM it of course is overkill -- if you want to play Battlefield 3 or something, then you should look into it.

• 1 month later...

several players quite underrated. De bruyne, Dembele for example. Mainly young players from small countries get bad stats (only a small growth rate).

Is there an player update planned before the actual release?

Also, why do unhappy players still sign contracts for 4 years when they wanna move to a bigger club?

Plus i cant win any games if i use wingers, AMC and 2 midfielders. My backline gets destroyed and i'll concede 4 goals eventhough their attack sucks

several players quite underrated. De bruyne, Dembele for example. Mainly young players from small countries get bad stats (only a small growth rate).

Is there an player update planned before the actual release?

Also, why do unhappy players still sign contracts for 4 years when they wanna move to a bigger club?

Plus i cant win any games if i use wingers, AMC and 2 midfielders. My backline gets destroyed and i'll concede 4 goals eventhough their attack sucks

You're posting in the wrong thread :)

This thread was started months ago purely to discuss features people would like to see in FM 2013. If you have data issue, I suggest posting in the official FM 2013 bugs and feedback board ;)

Archived