Sports Interactive Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Millsinho

Millsinho’s 4-3-3, inspired by Guardiola’s Barcelona

Millsinho’s 4-3-3 for FM 12.1.1

Inspired by Pep Guardiola’s Barcelona

Introduction

You all know how Barcelona play under Guardiola and the success it has brought them. I set myself the objective of getting my team to play in a similar manner, whilst keeping things simple by using the tactic creator where possible. My tactic is designed to be used as ‘plug and play’, requiring no tweaks.

barcaformation.png

Player Roles

Valdes – GK, Goalkeeper, Defend

Standard goalkeeper.

Other examples: Reina, Hart, Cech.

Puyol – DCL, Central Defender, Stopper

Standard centreback, but closes down the opposition more readily than the other DC.

Other examples: Kompany, Terry, Mertesacker.

Pique – DCR, Central Defender, Cover

Standard centreback, but stands off more to cover when the other DC is drawn out of position. Pique has better pace for the covering role, but Puyol has the better mental attributes. I found that they both performed well in either of the centreback roles.

Other examples: Lescott, Cahill, Vermaelen.

Alves / Abidal – DR/L, Wingback, Attack

Very attacking fullbacks, who regularly get forward down the flanks and overlap the midfield. They are instructed to run with the ball and provide crosses.

Other examples: Cole, Richards, Clichy.

Mascherano / Busquets – DMC, Anchorman, Defend

Sits deep between midfield and defence, and stays back to provide cover when the fullbacks go forward. Plays simple passes to maintain possession.

Other examples: Parker, De Jong, Romeu.

Xavi – MCR, Deep Lying Playmaker, Defend

Sits in the centre of the pitch to link defence and attack. Looks to create chances for the forwards by playing defence splitting passes.

Other examples: Scholes, Carrick, Lucas.

Iniesta / Fabregas – MCL, Advanced Playmaker, Support

Moves forward into space between the opposition defence and midfield. Looks to create chances for the forwards by playing defence splitting passes.

Other examples: Modric, Nasri, Gerrard.

Pedro / Sanchez / Villa – AMR/AML, Inside Forward, Attack

Cuts inside from wide positions. Overlaps the FC to get into goal scoring positions. Swaps positions with the other AMR/L to confuse the opposition defence and make man-marking difficult. If your wide men can only play on one side, either train them to play on both or remove this instruction.

Other examples: Sturridge, Kuyt, Balotelli.

Messi – FC, Deep Lying Forward, Support

The heartbeat of the team. Plays as a false 9, meaning that he drops deep to draw the opposition defenders out of position. He looks to hold up the ball and play defence splitting passes to the wide forwards as they overlap him. He is the targetman, so the team look to get the ball to his feet as often as possible. He is also the playmaker, so when he receives the ball he will always look to make something happen.

Other examples: Suarez, Aguero, Rooney.

Tactical Instructions

Strategy – standard

Philosophy – very fluid

Passing – shorter

Roaming – roam from position

Crossing – default

Counter attack – no

Individual – all players set to attempt long shots rarely

These instructions are designed to get the team playing possession football – i.e. pass and move. The whole team play with a balanced mentality, so that they aren’t biased towards a particular passing direction. This is intended to get them to consider every option, so that they are less likely to give the ball away by attempting a pass that isn’t really on. Obviously, their chosen course of action is still related to their mental attributes (such as decisions, creativity, flair and anticipation).

Closing down – press more

Marking – mixed

Tackling – more aggressive

Offside trap – no

The defensive strategy is to pressurise the opposition to minimise their decision time and force mistakes. The centrebacks and centremids man mark opposition players in the key areas of the pitch, while the fullbacks and more attacking players mark zonally. The defensive line is not positioned that high up the pitch, so that the midfield is not bypassed too easily by direct balls from the opposition. This also offers better backwards passing options to the midfielders.

Creative freedom – more disciplined

It is tempting to think of Barca as playing with high freedom, because their football is so creative and attractive. However, I interpret it as disciplined, because their pass and move football and high pressing are deeply ingrained philosophies, and the team rarely deviate from this style.

Focus passing – mixed

As with the balanced mentality settings, I want the players to consider every passing option, rather than being biased towards a particular direction.

Playmaker – FC

Targetman – FC

Targetman supply – to feet

See my description of the FC role above.

Other Aspects of Management

Teamtalks

This is what I use, and it always gets me good responses from the players.

Pre-match (and subs) – “no pressure / have some fun” (assertive)

Half-time (winning) – “pleased with how things are going, keep it up” (passionate)

Half-time (drawing / losing) – “not good enough” (aggressive)

Full-time (won) – “good result” (passionate)

Full-time (drew / lost) – “not good enough” (aggressive)

Remember, teamtalk effectiveness is linked to your reputation, so you won’t see amazing responses until you have proven yourself. Setting your previous experience to “international footballer” before you start a new game helps though.

Opposition Instructions

None. Opposition Instructions change the tactical instructions, which I do not want

Shouts

None. Shouts also change the tactical instructions, which I do not want.

Match Preparation

Very high and special focus 'none' until the tactic is fully fluid, then very low and 'teamwork' to nurture that famous Barcelona team spirit! Make sue that you allow the tactic to become fully fluid before judging how your team play with it. I have found that it makes a big difference in FM 12.

Training

I leave it as default, which seems fine.

Results

I started creating the tactic half-way through one of my Chelsea seasons, and got the team playing some nice football with good results. Once I was happy with everything, I started a new game with Barcelona and ran through half a season to get a couple of screenshots of results using the final version. I will update with more results as I play with it more.

leaguep.png

cornersj.png

Download Links

My uploaded tactic includes the same high scoring corner set-up that is used by most of the popular tactics on this forum. This was not used on the version that I tested, as the screenshot above shows, because I wanted to demonstrate that the tactic works well without relying on set-pieces. I added it to the download version though, because I suspect that many users just want the tactic to be as effective as possible.

I will appreciate feedback, whether it’s success stories or constructive criticism.

Enjoy!

http://www.mediafire.com/?8hoauw6vr1nws3n

http://www.sendspace.com/file/2oku3t

http://www.gamefront.com/files/21356699/Millsinho_Barca433_V1.tac

Overall record so far.

recordcy.png

Results so far. The two 1-0 loses occurred before the team was fluid with the tactic, and my team outplayed the opposition on both occasions. Attacking like Barca is nice, but it's the clean sheets that make me happy!

fixtures1.png

fixtures2.png

Player ratings so far.

ratingsz.png

Really like the look of this tactic Milsinho, will definitely give it a try at some point :)

Really like the look of this tactic Milsinho, will definitely give it a try at some point :)

Thanks, it'll be good to hear how you get on with it.

It was trying out your Man Utd 4-4-2 that lead me to start experimenting with cover / stopper centreback partnerships in my own tactics again, so you've actually contributed to the creation of this tactic in a way :)

Possession appears to be a pretty large problem right now. Unfortunately, the only way to maintain possession in these (garbage) match engines is to use a low tempo

Possession appears to be a pretty large problem right now. Unfortunately, the only way to maintain possession in these (garbage) match engines is to use a low tempo

True, but against teams like Real Madrid you can't always expect to dominate for 90 mins. I don't seem to have any problem with keeping possession against the lesser teams though.

posession4.png

posession3.png

posession2.png

posession1.png

True, but with teams like Barcelona you can expect to dominate nearly every match. 90% of the tactics on this forum only work with top level teams.

may give this a go myself with somebody other than Barca. I had a crack at creating a tactic myself replicating the barcelona way. I got a lot of possession but was struggling with chances and goals. I then changed to a more open 433, but i'm sure this only worked as i was Barcelona and so would have won anyway.

This looks good though, will give it a try. How transferable between teams would you say it is?

True, but with teams like Barcelona you can expect to dominate nearly every match. 90% of the tactics on this forum only work with top level teams.

exactly the issue i faced when i created a tactic based on the Barcelona style. But fair play if you can get it to work with many teams

may give this a go myself with somebody other than Barca. I had a crack at creating a tactic myself replicating the barcelona way. I got a lot of possession but was struggling with chances and goals. I then changed to a more open 433, but i'm sure this only worked as i was Barcelona and so would have won anyway.

This looks good though, will give it a try. How transferable between teams would you say it is?

Unfortunately, the only other team I've tried it with is Chelsea, who obviously also have a very strong squad. It worked well though, as you would expect based on the Barca results. I'll try it with some different sides next, but in the meantime I would be interested in any feedback from you if you decide to give it a go - good or bad.

Can you upload the tactic without that cheat corner routine? No idea how people can enjoy the game by using things that blatantly abuse the ME, to each his own I guess.

how do you make this "cheat" corner setup ? I just can't tell 2 people to lurk outside area, they always switch... Thanks

I don't think you can anymore. Since the patch, the only way I know to do it is to load up a tactic that already had it set-up from before the patch, and then alter everything else.

Glad to see you back up and running Millsinho, I'll give this a go and let you know.

going to test with arsenal =)
Glad to see you back up and running Millsinho, I'll give this a go and let you know.

Cheers guys, it'll be good to hear how you get on. I imagine Arsenal could play some nice football with it. Just remember that the results and the way you play will get much better once the tactic is fully fluid, although you shouldn't do that badly with Arsenal even before that.

Hi Milsinho!!!!

I used your czech team tactic with great sucess. Going to test your tactic with my Arsenal Team. Just one question, I have Cavani and RVP on my team. Do you think Cavani can Play that FC spot, or do I train him on the AMR spot?

going to test with arsenal =)
Hi Milsinho!!!!

I used your czech team tactic with great sucess. Going to test your tactic with my Arsenal Team. Just one question, I have Cavani and RVP on my team. Do you think Cavani can Play that FC spot, or do I train him on the AMR spot?

Thanks. This tactic is more tailored to quality teams than the 4-1-3-2 was, but should work well with Arsenal. I think Van Persie is much more suited to the FC spot, due to his creativity. Cavani should already be able to play AMR ok, so just train to play AML too, because the wide men swap positions.

Fail tactic, 75% Possesion has not been achieved in every match and Xavi has yet to go over 9000 passes a game :lol::lol:

Seriously though, i'm going to try this on a fresh Cardiff save and let you know how i get on :)

Fail tactic, 75% Possesion has not been achieved in every match and Xavi has yet to go over 9000 passes a game :lol::lol:

Seriously though, i'm going to try this on a fresh Cardiff save and let you know how i get on :)

Lol, thanks! It actual could turn out to be a fail with Cardiff, because I've only tried it with work class players. Having said that though, Cardiff have a good squad for the division so hopefully it should work. You will probably need a different approach if you get promoted to the Prem though.

just to let you know i applied this tactic halway through a season after i joined inter milan from roma. it took a while to get used too and havin jovetic injured for quite a few games didnt help either but we didnt have a good start and my ass man was rubbish and i think hes talks didnt help. i started doin them my self and have since got ventura and is much better. anyway since doin this and gettin totally fluid it has been pretty good. i finished 5th in league (mid table upon my introduction) and missed out on the champs league by literally 3 mins as man utd eqaulised and went on to win on pens arrrhhh lol. i destroyed lyon, juve (my former team to which i built a world class team) and chelsea on route to final.

all in all very good tactic..u need the right kind of striker to have it performing at its best. im heading into my first full season with inter..ill let you know how i go.

just to let you know i applied this tactic halway through a season after i joined inter milan from roma. it took a while to get used too and havin jovetic injured for quite a few games didnt help either but we didnt have a good start and my ass man was rubbish and i think hes talks didnt help. i started doin them my self and have since got ventura and is much better. anyway since doin this and gettin totally fluid it has been pretty good. i finished 5th in league (mid table upon my introduction) and missed out on the champs league by literally 3 mins as man utd eqaulised and went on to win on pens arrrhhh lol. i destroyed lyon, juve (my former team to which i built a world class team) and chelsea on route to final.

all in all very good tactic..u need the right kind of striker to have it performing at its best. im heading into my first full season with inter..ill let you know how i go.

Thanks for the feedback, and I'm glad that you stuck with it through a shaky start when your players were still learning the tactic. You're right about the requirement for a very good FC, but that's one of the downsides of designing a tactic around Messi! On the flip side if you happen to havehave a very good one, you're already half way there. I look forward to the results from your first full season with it.
What stats would you recommend for the striker mate?

As I say, the tactic was designed around Messi, so you're looking for a creator as well as a goal scorer. Think of players like Rooney, Tevez, Aguero, Suarez, Van Persie, C.Ronaldo; rather than pure goal scorers like Hernandez, Higuain, Dzeko, Adebayor, Defoe, Bent etc.

I don't really like listing attributes, as I worry that people will stick to them too rigidly and rule out good players. What I will say though, is that as he is your playmaker and targetman, your team need him to be able to make things happen for them, so creativity and flair are the first things I would look at. Beyond that he needs to be able to dribble from deep (so things like dribbling, agility, balance, pace, acceleration are an advantage), and he needs to be able to create and score (so passing, finishing, technique).

Hope that helps.

any tips on what to do when you just cant score against lesser teams while battering them all game long or is it just the AI trying to make it "realistic" and we should just deal lol. very frustrating..even more so when they score from there ONLY shot on goal in the match!!

any tips on what to do when you just cant score against lesser teams while battering them all game long or is it just the AI trying to make it "realistic" and we should just deal lol. very frustrating..even more so when they score from there ONLY shot on goal in the match!!
As I said in the first post, my only two losses with Barca were also matches where I dominated, yet lost 1-0, so I know what you mean. I think it's just the 'luck' element of the AI to be honest, and I imagine that if you replayed the same match over and over again you would win 9 times out of 10. It happens in real life sometimes though so I suppose it's realistic, even if that doesn't stop it being very annoying at the time.

It does depends how the goals are being conceded too of course. If they're soaking up the pressure and then countering, then that's possibly something related to the tactic. If the goals are coming from set-pieces, individual mistakes or 30 yard screamers, then it's probably just bad luck.

In response to some of the questions about whether this tactic also works for lesser teams, I gave it a quick go with Oldham in League 1 to find out. Their media prediction is 17th, and I only used the default squad with no signings. It didn't go too badly, considering I didn't even have the right type of players, never mind the right standard. I'm not happy with the defence being so leaky, but I suppose if I was playing properly I could improve that by strengthening the squad.

oldhamleague.png

Final set of results from my Barca season (these follow directly on from the ones in post #2). I ended up winning all competitions, although the Champions League semi's and final were very close games that could have gone either way.

barcaresults3.png

finalresults.png

The final league table.

finalleague.png

My overall record in all competitions.

finalrecord.png

good results there. i was wondering how important you think telling the team to go out and enjoy them selves at the start of a game is? do you say it home and away of every game?

ive noticed a few of my players "playing nervously" quite alot and we just dont turn it on as im guessing we need to be confident to play this kind of football. have/do you notice any nerves and do you think telling them that eradicates nerves?

good results there. i was wondering how important you think telling the team to go out and enjoy them selves at the start of a game is? do you say it home and away of every game?

ive noticed a few of my players "playing nervously" quite alot and we just dont turn it on as im guessing we need to be confident to play this kind of football. have/do you notice any nerves and do you think telling them that eradicates nerves?

Good question, it's also something I've been wondering. I tell them to play without pressure, because it gets me the most green responses from my players. Now, I know that green responses mean that morale has improved, but I'm not sure how related to motivation that is.

For example, sometimes I've tried aggressively saying I expect a win, and even though I get poor morale responses, the players seem to be more motivated and the match result is better.

This is not something I've tested much, but my theory is that if your team's morale is poor, you can use "no pressure" to increase it, but at the expense of match performance. Similarly, if you have high morale, you can risk losing some of it (or just not increasing it much) by saying "expect a win", in order to get better performances form your players.

Really, this needs a thread in it's own right to get other people's ideas, but I don't have enough interest in it to start one! To be honest, I really don't like how teamtalks are now the most important thing since patch 12.1.

i agree. team talks are ridiculously overly important in this game. get it even just slightly wrong and your screwed! in my experience saying for the fans assertively has definatley got me the best performances and results. i had to reload the game due to my sucky laptop and had to re-play about 5 games and i said the above and smashed them all where as the first time around i said a mixture of diff things and struggled, so yeah defo try that!

i agree. team talks are ridiculously overly important in this game. get it even just slightly wrong and your screwed! in my experience saying for the fans assertively has definatley got me the best performances and results. i had to reload the game due to my sucky laptop and had to re-play about 5 games and i said the above and smashed them all where as the first time around i said a mixture of diff things and struggled, so yeah defo try that!
Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely give that a go. Do you always say that at half time too, as well as at the start of every match?

**EDIT** I meant to mention... I actually alternate doing teamtalks as I said in the first post, and letting my assistant manager do them, because I keep changing my mind about which is best. That's because I'm not completely happy either way though, which is why I will give your approach a go. I didn't let the assistant do any of the ones for that Barca save though, so that was using the ones in post #1.

yeah i 100% recommend saying for the fans assertively pre match and at half time also regardless if your W L or D. also for players under 6.5 at HT then tell them assertively or aggressively you aint happy to give them that kick up the ar*e.

Get this right..3-1 up from the first leg against spurs in the euro cup round of 16..second leg at there place and i say "tie aint over, dont get complacent" etc and i go and lose 2-0 and go out on away goals..its ridic that just because your winning from first leg you cant say anything regarding the fans as if theres nothing for them to be "up for". pathetic. anyway im on course for the league. i think i need to revamp my centre midfield trio before i see the best out of this tactic.