General Questions on FM12?

I thought it would be good to post questions about this game and hope for any helpful anwsers which could help everyone. Plus people could post their own if they wish. I hope this is ok. Anyway i want to know that when playing a match it doesnt shows the players playing i have to keep pressing classic view, why is this.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you're in the TV View and not seeing players, then you're probably not watching the full match. Click 'Match Controls', then change there is a button you can click to select "Only Commentary" "Key Highlights" "Goal Action" or "Full Match". If any of those options besides full match is selected, you won't see players all the time.

As to your 2nd question, yes Match Prep helps. Generally I like to leave it set at Very High while my team is learning a new tactic. Once the tactic familiarity is fluid, I will drop it down to low or very low. I alternate between Defensive Positioning and Attacking Movement depending on both the quality of my team and the team I am playing against.

updating to the newest patches is always a good idea.... and you dont HAVE to update.. just stay offline on steam and you wont download it...

and no.. that particular coach report isnt in hte game in that format anymore... but there are much more in depth analysis of the teams you can see in the report... just look at them :)

Do you mean the team report, because i dont look at them to see which are the best player and the tactical analysis and which formations they use. But even after looking at them it doesnt really help me about other teams. Mind you i always check them against big teams.

Does anyone actyally view or just see bits of the match in 3d view. Am i the only one who views it in 2D or 2d Classic.

Am i the only one who hates watching in 3D, FM is not in 3D, the graphics are horrible. Do most players play in 3d, i personally cant stand it, whenever im playing matches im viewing it in 2D or 2D classic, anyone else do the same as me. I have always done that and have always achieved everything with that "view".

Also if you mean that the screen goes directly to TV view when you start a match then you can go to Manager options to choose what you want.

Click on manager name --> Options --> Match

Set Match View to Classic Pitch View 2D

Can anyone tell me how do you find regens, i know you classify regens as computer faces but their attributes are not good. Also do most people you the search option to buy players, because i use the different tabs to find the players in the positions i want but there are thousands and its impossible to check the whole list. So is it possible to find the best players easier. Even after playing this series since the 07 game there are still things which i dont do and never have and things im still new to.

Could anyone reply to my above post, also im having wage issues, the board are saying the wages are too high and i need to sort it out, how do i do it, i dont want to sell my best players. Also will i get fired if i dont do anything as i have worked so hard with Celtic.

Can anyone tell me how do you find regens, i know you classify regens as computer faces but their attributes are not good. Also do most people you the search option to buy players, because i use the different tabs to find the players in the positions i want but there are thousands and its impossible to check the whole list. So is it possible to find the best players easier. Even after playing this series since the 07 game there are still things which i dont do and never have and things im still new to.

Set your scouts to scout areas in the world for player 21 or younger if your looking for regens, and you can also use the search options but I find that kinda defeats the purpose of scouting.

Thanks mate will do so, i use scouts, sometimes i set their assignments but most of the time i use the search option for my players, why isnt that the point.

Also if you could help with this. Im having wage issues, the board are saying the wages are too high and i need to sort it out, how do i do it, i dont want to sell my best players. Also will i get fired if i dont do anything as i have worked so hard with Celtic.

Surely someone has experienced the same thing as me, what can i do to resolve this, i really dont wana lose my job after all my hard work with celtic. I really dont like posting asking the same thing. Please anyone.

Surely someone has experienced the same thing as me, what can i do to resolve this, i really dont wana lose my job after all my hard work with celtic. I really dont like posting asking the same thing. Please anyone.

I'm also managing Celtic, I keep pestering the board for higher wage budget and have to keep manually adjusting so that all my funds are on wages, if you can get the board to increase the wages or even better expand the stadium it should help but I must admit even after these measures it looks like I'm still going to have to sell one or two out of Stokes, Hooper, Brown, Ki and Kayal who all have clubs interested in them. Another thing I do to help with wages when managing in the SPL is sort my entire squad by my assistant's opinion of their current and potential ability and release anyone who has under 3 star potential.

Apart from these measures the only other thing you can do as a manager is be successful, look to win the league every season to get CL revenue and try and put together a decent run in Europe.

They wont give me extra wages or expand the stadium. I have sold brown even i didnt want to, but nothing. I even adjusting the budget and moved it all to the wages. Mate how would i go about asking my assistant opinion of current and potential ability so i can release players. Most of my players in my squad are 3 stars or above anyway. Its only a few which are 2 and half.

Mate is it possible they might sack me if i dont sort this problem out.

Could you please reply to my previous post mate. Anyway i did manage to get my wage budget increased, so it seems the wage structure is okay. But i got another problem now, i bought alot of new players and now whenever i play matches i cant have 7 subs due to it saying i need 3 outfield players under 21, so i have to bring crap players from my reserve team to my first team. This didnt happen in my first two seasons. Im beginning to feel annoyed and angry with the game again. Im not enjoying in atm.

Sorry i mean the players are from my youth team who have crap attributes, i cant have some of my best players on the bench due to having 3 outfield player under 21, i dont get it, never had such a problem before with celtic.

Could you please reply to my previous post mate. Anyway i did manage to get my wage budget increased, so it seems the wage structure is okay. But i got another problem now, i bought alot of new players and now whenever i play matches i cant have 7 subs due to it saying i need 3 outfield players under 21, so i have to bring crap players from my reserve team to my first team. This didnt happen in my first two seasons. Im beginning to feel annoyed and angry with the game again. Im not enjoying in atm.

The 3 players under 21 rule is a rule irl designed to encourage clubs at the top level in Scotland to bring home-grown players through the youth ranks into the first team, basically it was implemented afaik to try and help to improve the Scottish national team in the long term. I must admit it is frustrating in game if you have bought some players for the first team or as backup who are over 21 but unable to gain match time because of it but much like the home grown rules in European squad registration, press conferences and unreasonably demanding agents, it's just one of those things we have to deal with for the sake of realism.

Mate how would i go about asking my assistant opinion of current and potential ability so i can release players. Most of my players in my squad are 3 stars or above anyway. Its only a few which are 2 and half.

Sorry, just noticed this question.

Your players star ratings are what I was referring to with 'assistant opinion of current and potential ability'.

These under 21 rules havent really affected me any other league apart from the SPL. Whats "irl". So all these players i have got how can i play them, because i dont want to play the youth players let alone put them on my sub bench simple because they are not good enough. Is there nothing that i can do. Also what do u mean by press conferences and unreasonable demanding agents.

Oh ok lol, is there a way to check the rating of all your players in the squad. I have done this by just getting a scout report.

I really do appreciate your help, but im kinda off this game again. So much little things i dont really know in this game for so many years playing it.

These under 21 rules havent really affected me any other league apart from the SPL.

Because they don't exist in any other league apart from the SPL.

Whats "irl".

In Real Life. Both Urban Dictionary and Wikipedia have entries for this common internet acronym.

So all these players i have got how can i play them, because i dont want to play the youth players let alone put them on my sub bench simple because they are not good enough. Is there nothing that i can do.

You can try and find U-21 players who are good enough for your bench.

Also what do u mean by press conferences and unreasonable demanding agents.

Checking slipknot67's use of that phrase, they are expressing the opinion that these things are something that some players might not enjoy being part of the game, but that are part of "irl", and thus should be in the game.

Oh ok lol, is there a way to check the rating of all your players in the squad. I have done this by just getting a scout report.

It's one of the view options on the main squad screen, from your clubs name menu at the top, select "Squad", then from the drop menu on the player screen, select "Assistant Reports"

I really do appreciate your help, but im kinda off this game again. So much little things i dont really know in this game for so many years playing it.

FM has admittedly become more involved and complex over the years, which I feel is a good thing. I'm sorry you aren't having the same fun with the game you used to.

vurogj, thanks mate. Oh i thought the under 21 rule was in other leagues. Thats the thing i have not good under 21s in my teams their star rating is crap, because of that im missing some big players on on sub bench. Really annoying.

Like i said i loved playing those games, maybe i won everything, but FM12 like u said has gotten much more complex. I do like the game but im not enjoying it that much and not playing it as much, maybe i will get into it more. Maybe i should be my favorite club on the game (man united), either way i just think maybe those years i wasted playing it, as it seems im not that into FM12 as others on here. That really annoys me and is also hard to understand.

I hope someone can help me, how exactly are the attributes: pace, acceleration and stamina different, i always wondered that. Isnt it how fast the player is.

Does anyone play with 6 substitutes in scottish competitions, i do as i have got any good u21 players to put as the 7th person.

Oh ok. Also i want to know do some of you guys buy player in every position. Im player formation 4231 and 4132 and havent bought wingers or wide midfield players, will that affect my team.

Also some of you guys have confused me on how to buy players, i have always gone down the search list looked at age, abilities and bought players on that regard as well as star ratings. But now im not sure, as u guys buy great players by using filters, but what exactly do you filter and what do you do. Im so confused.

I personally buy players for each position. Being an American', I'm used to more rigid sports with clearly defined roles. It is possible to build a squad that is more dynamic. That is, one player can play in more than one position or role. Doing so can help you get by with a smaller squad, and may be a good idea for you, since you're having wage trouble.

There are also different ways to go about buying players. Rely on scouts, searching manually, making filters as you referred to. Filtering is done on the player search screen. You can save searches to reuse again and again. Say I always want my left wide players to cut inside on the dribble. I might set a filter for position=AML; preferred foot=right; and dribbling, off the ball, and flair at least 15. Then I save it as my "Inside Fw Left" Filter. Then whenever I need a new player for that role, I pull up the filter again. Exactly what to filter on? Well, what style do you play? What's your team's level (top club, lower league, what nation, etc)? What can you afford? There's many factors-too many to say for certain. I might suggest that determination is an attribute you always look for, as it seems to drive a player to success in many ways. There have been other threads about how to find good players. There's even a separate forum dedicated to Good Players and Teams. Have a read and see what you can find there.

I'm not one of these masters, and I'm not particularly patient myself. But looking back on where I started and where I am now, my primary advice to you is this: be patient. Keep things simple to start with. Be observant with what happens in your game. Read these forums (I especially recommend the Tactics and Training forum-set aside an hour and start reading from the SFraser collection, you can find it sticky right at the top). Use the forum's search tool for specific questions. There's loads of information-too much to handle all at once-but keep at it and the pieces will start to come together. FM is not plug-and-play friendly, but it can still be very rewarding if you're willing to slow down and pay attention.

^ Everytime i read posts from anyone i get more confused and more annoyed. I have read the tactics forums and i do no understand some of it, plus it takes too much time, the whole point of a gme is to play it not study it.

Like i said before im not sure how to use attributes to filter to get good players, im so angry that these things i dont even know after playing for so long.

But if i dont play wingers or wide players in my formations why would i waste money buying them.

^ Everytime i read posts from anyone i get more confused and more annoyed. I have read the tactics forums and i do no understand some of it, plus it takes too much time, the whole point of a gme is to play it not study it.

Like i said before im not sure how to use attributes to filter to get good players, im so angry that these things i dont even know after playing for so long.

But if i dont play wingers or wide players in my formations why would i waste money buying them.

I'm not sure why you are hung up on buying wingers if you never use them in your formation, and I can't see where anyone has put to buy players that you will never use? Forget about that!

As has been said above, the more you put into the game, the more you will get out of it. So if you are that annoyed at the game, then read the tactics forum threads. If you are not that bothered, then just play the game and experiment. All the knowledgeable people (of which I'm not one) who come up with the training and tactics threads have started somewhere and got to where they are by experimentation, or by taking other tactics and tweaking them to their needs.

You wouldn't. I just made that up on the spot as an example.

I am getting mixed signals from you. You are on here looking for help referring to other "awesome managers" and wondering how they do it. Then you say you've tried reading their threads, don't get it, and you think it takes too much time. Fair enough; if it's too much time, then don't go that in-depth. My impression is that you're looking for a #1 all-purpose winning formula. It doesn't exist in football and it doesn't exist in Football Manager. So even when you read what the masters have written, you still have to do your own analysis, thinking, and application. Is the game very deep and complex? Yes. Are there many things you can do that will help or hurt your team? Yes. Is it possible to be successful without getting a doctorate or making FM your full time job? Actually, yes.

Much can be left to the assistant manager. You can use a balanced formation with default instructions and just let the players get on with it. You can be as hands-on or hands-off as you please (or as time allows). And this can work if your players are good. Players are the #1 factor in determining how matches go. If you are generally better than your opponents, you will generally outperform your opponents. In fact, there's an old thread in the tactics forum about this. Do a search for "muppet management" and you should find it.

Back to your Celtic team, there's not an easy solution I can give you. There may not be a solution at all. Do what you can-find the best player deals when you're in the window and accept that some players are going to be sold by the board. You cannot control everything. You might even find yourself forced out. You could find another job, make a new manager to go back to Celtic, start over, or even use the editor to "fix" Celtic's money problems and start there. Or maybe you'll get the club turned around. But if you just want to play the game and not study it-then do it!

Archived