End of teather reached - end of an era.

I am bringing down the curtain on my Football Manager/Championship Manager career after nearly 20 years.

The simple reason is that this latest installment is awful. I have simply not enjoyed a single minute. Every tactic I have tried has failed, every player I bought is crap every single element of the game hasn't worked despite trying everything and wasting countless hours trying to develop the magic tactic that can trick this unrealistic and terrible match engine into allowing me not to lose every match (I don't even ask for wins anymore) no matter what team I am or what league I am in.

The developers of this game appear to have forgotton that it is actually supposed to be fun. I appeciate that it is meant to be challenging at times but there should at least be come enjoyment along the way.

There is simply no place for the casual/moderate user anymore and so there is no point.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm enjoying this version more than possibly any other. I no longer long for the simplicity of CM. Some of the features that used to bog down the game have now become useful, relevant and add an additional dimension to the game, and I'm finally coming to terms with the tactical side for the first time since FM2007. I'm also a casual player, a few hours here and there, no longer the marathons of old before responsibilities and kids. Takes a while to get through a season, used to knock one out in a sitting, now it might go into weeks, but I'm okay with that, I was never one to play long "career" games.

I'm sorry to hear you've decided enough is enough, I was right there with you on FM2011, and wasn't planning on buying FM12, but they got me back for one more version. Good for them, good for me.

every single element of the game hasn't worked despite trying everything and wasting countless hours trying to develop the magic tactic that can trick this unrealistic and terrible match engine into allowing me not to lose every match

You're doing it wrong. There is no God, Santa Claus, or magic tactic.

Don't really respond to these threads but it is your tactics m8, i reckon this game is easier then prev editions, i have been using the same tactic for 10 years ingame, almost works all the time, alot of good results.

i use 4-4-2 and 4231, switching between them for big and easy games.

Well i would like to say dont speak for all of us, when you say

"There is simply no place for the casual/moderate user anymore and so there is no point. "

you should change it to

"There is simply no place for the extreamly casual user who wants this game to be super easy anymore and so there is no point. "

but i'm not a fanboy, i got my gripes...but still a bit much..

There's FC Santa Claus though. ;)

It won't go back to the simplicity of CM in future releases. Unfortunate you couldn't keep up with the advancements in FM. Sometimes some games (like FM in your case) just outgrew you and got too complicated.

2 replies to say "it's your tactics", yet the OP states, quite clearly in his opening post, that his main problem is, indeed, tactics.

I was being sarcastic. This game is great. You're on the game forum, I mean what do you expect people to say... This game got great reviews, is deeper than ever. It might be hard, but it definately is not impossible to play. Seriously if you have trouble, just do like I did when I startd this game, save and reload, trial and error will get you through it.

he said every tactic doesnt work for him, i basically use 442 and it works great, rarely has 442 ever worked well but it does, if it too hard to spend a tiny bit reading up on proper tactics then complaining the game is flawed then theres no hope for anyone.

I am bringing down the curtain on my Football Manager/Championship Manager career after nearly 20 years.

The simple reason is that this latest installment is awful. I have simply not enjoyed a single minute. Every tactic I have tried has failed, every player I bought is crap every single element of the game hasn't worked despite trying everything and wasting countless hours trying to develop the magic tactic that can trick this unrealistic and terrible match engine into allowing me not to lose every match (I don't even ask for wins anymore) no matter what team I am or what league I am in.

The developers of this game appear to have forgotton that it is actually supposed to be fun. I appeciate that it is meant to be challenging at times but there should at least be come enjoyment along the way.

There is simply no place for the casual/moderate user anymore and so there is no point.

How come you've not been in the tactics forum asking for help? There are countless of thread's that help you understand how the ME and tactics work.

If every tactic you try fails no matter the league or team you are, then logic tells me its your own approach what's flawed. You should have took a look in the tactics section, especially at the pinned threads at the top of the forum.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do next :)

Thanks for the responses.

I know it's my tactics, trouble is I have tried so many including creatig my own, getting advise from forums and downloading others. My current go was the one that broke me. Started out with sheff wed in league 1 and got sacked by jan with only a handful of wins and mainly defeats I couldn't even draw games. Then after a few months got Yeovil job and won first game and lost the next 10 and got sacked. Got Rochdale job and lost first game against top team then lost to bloody Yeovil who suddenly looked like barca under new manager.

In response to some posts I have spent hours devising tactics and trying to ruturn things around but results remain the same so it seems like I have no effect on it. I know this isn't the tactics forum but if anyone can give advise as what I'm doing wrong then that would be appreciated. Cheers.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/282892-FM12-4-2-4-Wide-Attacking-high-possession-Classic-tactic-Six-Four-v5

Try mine. I don't go wrong with it, it is fairly easy to build team for and works with most teams I have tried it with. If it doesn't work for you or doesn't make a difference maybe you could help me figure out why my apporach is great with it while others aren't - it's a win-win! :)

There is no such thing as a magic tactic anymore, that's the beauty of this game.

It sounds like you have decided that if you can't win every game by clicking a button then you don't find it fun. Each to their own I suppose, but I like playing the game for the challenge it brings. I remember playing CM01/02 and using a 4-1-3-2 formation, my 3 AMCs were prolific and the game got boring, quickly, because it was too easy.

I start every game with the same formation but change strategy and style of play depending on the opposition, then during the game I will make changes if things aren't going right or based on conditions such as the weather.

I would definitely visit the tactics forum and the threads mentioned above for some help before you decide to quit forever.

Create two or three tactics in match prep and go full intensity until fluid. Don't keep changing your tactics(especially large changes) too often as this is more likely to hamper rather than help your performances and try to keep your tactics simple so that your players and most importantly YOU have a clear understanding of what is being asked of them.

If starting a new game try a pick a team with half decent players but most importantly not too much expectation. Picking a team who is expected to win their league will quickly bring pressure whereas picking a team who expects a mid-table finish or avoid relegation will buy you time to start winning matches.

Also start with "international footballer" reputation as your players will be easier to motivate and better players will be willing to sign.

Good luck.

A few random comments.

1) Since 12.1.1 has come out I've had a few moments where I've been tempted to write the exact some post as the OP. Personally I was having a lot of fun on 12.0.4 and thought the difficulty level was about right (the problem with the AI resting too many big players late in cups aside) and I just wanted to see some tweaks to iron out the way that you would fall into streaks of winning and losing. For me 12.1.1 took entirely the wrong direction with its emphasis on reputation and huge change to morale. At the moment I'm riding it out because I have been able to get some enjoyment out of it and I feel like I'm learning how to work around the difficulties. It still seems to be constantly on the verge of slipping away (this week's issue is a return to streaks where either everything my strikers touch goes in or absolutely no one can hit the target and AI defenders are apparently handcuffed to my attackers), but I see enough progress to keep plugging away.

2) The OP may have been unfortunate in choosing Sheffield Wednesday. I started unemployed in my current game and went through 3 tries before I settled on a club that seemed to be working (Preston). The two other clubs I tried were Northampton (just a horrible squad, no money and terrible morale so I gave up quickly as I wasn't in the mood for a tough slog at that stage) and Sheffield Wednesday. I suspect that in the next patch Wednesday will be getting a fairly hefty boost because their squad is a nightmare - they have no pace, next to no creativity and some terrible strikers. Obviously IRL Gary Megson has built them to be physically dominant rather than technically dominant, but they always seem to struggle in early seasons so I think they are currently underpowered. When I got to Preston on the third attempt I found a much more balanced squad with key individuals (Iain Hume) who were too good for the division and so could be used as foundations for success. I struggled at first, but when I hit on the right tactic (with the help of a friend) - a very simple, attacking, direct 4-5-1 - I got on a roll in February, crashed the playoffs and won promotion. In the Championship things have been tougher (strong start, poor run, good run, horrendous run, promising recovery *touch wood* - 17th in February), but I think/hope that's a result of my horrible wage budget (£3.25m compared to £5m next lowest and £19m at the top of the division) meaning I don't have the personnel to support my aggressive tactic from L1. As others have said - there is no 'magic tactic' you do have to cut your cloth according to what you have available to you and a good place to start is with something simple. I'm currently using a tactic adapted from the thread which was knocking around here a couple of days ago 'Help keep Staines in the EPL' on the grounds that we're both trying to keep a club in a division on a low budget. Certainly worth a look for tactical advice.

3) I think part of the reason why people think there is a 'magic tactic' is that - at least in my experience - it seems to be a lot harder to scrape lucky wins. You can put a side out in a sensible formation and still find that absolutely nothing is going your way. Obviously there is a lot more to management than putting 11 guys into a 4-4-2 and asking them to win a game, but at the moment it seems to get into losing streaks like the OP describes where you lose every game and can't even have a game where your GK has a great day and their strikers aren't on form and you bundle in a header from a corner in the 85th minute. Combine this with the fact that there are a few people on these forums who are still apparently finding the game to be too easy and you get the impression that there must be some kind of magic tactic that will make everything work because they're having such a totally different game experience to the one I (and the OP apparently) have been having.

4) The point about starting with 'International Footballer' reputation seems to be very important in 12.1.1. (I started with 'Professional Footballer' so I can't comment too much, but it does seem easier than with 'Sunday League').

Never an issue with the game.

I've used the same tactic since I started and have never changed. Not for lower leauge, or for top teams. I can use the same tactic from the bottom league right up to the very top.

The only thing I change is the player roles, from trequestia to Advanced Forward, or Winger to Midfielder, depending on the feedback from Ass Man/Coaches.

I just sell 3 star and below players. And buy WELL scouted (9 matches or so) players that are 4 star or above.

The game couldn't be any easier.

I reckon the game is about right for "difficulty." I think it's hard to do badly with a club unless you walk into a complete nightmare squad & no cash.

I pick 3 tactics at the start of the season, 4-4-2 & 4-2-3-1 for home games & a 4-2-3-1 for away games. Keep intensity on high till tactics are thoroughly learned, then keep switching periodically between the various speciality training available below the "intensity" button.

As Eugene says, start replacing all your 3 star & less players with 4 star & above, then you can pretty much play this game, with decent results, on "automatic pilot".

You need to be a little more hands-on to win the championships though.

I'm not finding it too easy at all. I've looked around for a save I can get in to. Udinese, despite winning Serie A in my first season with no transfers was one of the most challenging saves i've had. Now i'm managing Fulham, and it's tough. Monaco too, really tough. I'm finding this version a challenge. And I like it. I'm not really that adept at tactics though.

anyway, i'd hate it if the game was made any easier.

unless you walk into a complete nightmare squad & no cash.

Invite loads of players based on rep and free to come for a trial.

If they rate with 3.5 stars or over by the Coaching staff - sign them.

When you sign them. Sell off the players under 3 stars (might want to do this first depending on wage cash situation).

Now you have a free new team, with better players, and some cash in coffers.

I think it has a lot to do with starting with a low rep, especially if your not taking over a good club. It can get really frustrating in for the first couple of seasons, but its about riding that out and eventually your rep becomes less of a problem.

this is the 1st time since fm08 i have actually bought the game (Cheers RB lol) had no time for it when i was moderating on FML & honestly felt my time was best spent elsewhere since (ps3), i find the tactical element is a lot easier to navigate round & its more about working out your teams strengths & applying to a viable stable tactic , gung ho doesnt just work no more , tinker save each change as something new (remembering that the team has to gel to the formation) eventually you will find 1 that works for most situations & no i am not playing fm12 every night maybe once or twice a week for an hour or 2 , i have also read a few things on what makes this tactic tick & what makes that tactic , a little preparation can save quite a lot of heartache

PS my save i have blackburn in the top 6 at christmas with just a new right back

In have a lot of sympathy for the OP. I don't think it's a case of "i'm not winning so I quit", I think it's a consistency thing that gets some of us down. I'm a Classic Manager always have been and I think some of the problem for me at least is that most now play Tactic Creator Tactics so when you visit the Tactic forum for advice or tips most obviously concern the TC.

Since I had the game I must have tried several formations and constantly tinkered never quite getting it right. What was frustrating is that you tinker a bit and the next game you win 2-0 at Old Trafford. You think you have cracked it and the next two games you get done at home by Leicester and Wolves!! At times it just doesn't make sense. Then no matter what you do Arsenal ping it round like they are superhuman and you wonder what you have to do to beat the top teams. A perfect example is I recently played Man City away. Battered them for half an hour but Steven Fletcher hit 3 clear cut chances straight at the keeper. Then a miniute before half time their brand new signing with a long shot stat of 8 bangs one in from 30 yards! Second half my right back dawdles on the ball and we are 2-1 down which it remains despite having 60-40 possession in my favour and a 9 to 4 shots on target rate. I know it happens but it does get disheartening.

However, I have now settled with 3 global classic tactics, a 4-2-3-1, 4-5-1 and a 4-4-2. Have gone for a less is more approach and kept things simple and have just won two in a row including a 7-0 away win at Swansea. No matter what happens I am going to stick with these tactics and hope familiarity breeds more consistency.

So to the OP. Stick with it and just try and go back to basics and that may help.

Not sure how anyone can find this game hard to be honest. I've never played a FM game before, never played soccer, never followed soccer, never watched a complete game of soccer in my life, my only real experience with the sport is playing FIFA video games over a decade ago. Yet I managed to do the dafuge challenge, gaining 5 promotions in 6 years to go from level 6 to the premier division, and completed the premier league/champions cup double to complete the challenge in 11 seasons total. All using my own tactics, no downloads or anything, just using simple common sense. Remember I said I know jack about soccer so it really is thinking about it on a very simple level ... basically "If I set the positions to these roles and get these types of players my guys score ... that'll do, I'll try to get more of those types of players".

As far as strategy games go this one is really very easy, and if you're having trouble with it maybe you should look at what you're doing wrong rather than pointing fingers elsewhere.

^ well thats your opinions. i have played fm07-11 and have won everything with all the clubs i was with and loved those games. But this one is NOT easy its bloody hard and for me no way as enjoying as the rest. I might not be some football master/genius but i really ttry everything in this game to be successful yet i lose to crap teams quite alot. So i dont appreciate your arrogance and insulting others like myself who are finding it hard.

I'm not telling you this to insult you, I'm telling you my experience as a counter point that it is possible to win on this game. But if you'd rather be mired in self pity rather than using the fact that even someone who thinks soccer is the most boring sport in the world can beat the game to give you hope, then that's your prerogative.

What team are you and what was your set up for your team?

Please can the Mods put this in a spoiler (especially the Santa bit!) ? :-)

Joking aside, this version due in a large way to the Tactic Wizard and marginalisation of the importance of micro-tweaking of tactics has become my favourite (on a par with my beloved CM0102). Of course my love on the "old" game is hugely down to simplicity of play but more importanatly the balance of fun / depth was spot on for it's time. FM12, indeed all FM's do sometimes seem a bit like "work" rather than play (I have to accept that Customer Surveys and preferences have driven the game in that direction).

Regarding FM12, I do not agree that there is no effective single tactic, I use a tweaked 4132 that always over achieves as Lower League levels (really the only level at which I play). It is no super-tactic or win button though, but it's good enough to be "fun".

For anyone about to ditch the game I would recommen trying the following (I did this in FM10 with some success).

*Set up in a League you know well but not a top league

*choose a team that interests you (but you are not a fan of) making sure that financially & expection level wise they are not too tough a challenge (the easier the better!)

* use 1 tactic only, that is the (or one of) the recommended tactics that your Backroom Staff make at the start of your career.

*Make in match tweaks only in response to Ass Man advice

*Use any pre-match Ass Man advice that is offered.

Try this for 10-15 League games and if it works and your interest is revived complete the season but only gradually change things a little at a time.

Hope that helps.

i understand your feelings, i havn't touched the game since i tried the newest patch

i don't have enough time to go through every intricate detail as to why my team loaded with stars cannot win after a treble winning season previously

si diddn't listen to their own poll where more people wanted the difficulty to be the same, the new patch made the game too frustrating imo

Yeah stick to it. People complain about having more possesion shots etc and not winning which is very real life IMO, especially after being at Ewood Park Last night. 22 shots 14 on target (maybe not exactly that) Newcastle had 5 3 on target(again not completely sure) and we get beat 2-0. Corner 17-2 didnt score. Missed a penalty open net and a few what FM would consider Clear Cut Chances. Also with Barca drawing with Valencia last night I can only presume as always with barca they absoloutely dominated the game and from the highlights ive seen had plenty of chances including Messi missing a penalty. Just shows that SI have got the game absoloutely perfect. Ok maybe not perfect but people complaining about dominating and not winning just need to looka t real football. I love this game just wish I had more time to try and nail down some sort of consistency

I really like the fact that there isn't an easy formula to win in this game. There are always things you can manage to do better than the AI, but it will usually give you competition, and like in real football sometimes you can lose or draw games, and come out with absolutely no idea why you didn't win. (Easy answer: Because you couldn't get it into the net more times than the opposition team :D ) This is the way it should be, it's a simulation, and there are any number of other teams fighting against you for success. If you don't like not winning all the time there are plenty of ways to cheat, but I think most of us just settle in and enjoy the challenge, the immersion, the drama, and accept that things won't go your way all the time.

Just to update people, despite all the advise, which I have taken on board and spent hours attempting to implement, with my current team of Rochdale I have lost every game without scoring a single goal. Home and away I just lose without fail so I i've given up as it really is pointless. Thanks anyway.

Just to update people, despite all the advise, which I have taken on board and spent hours attempting to implement, with my current team of Rochdale I have lost every game without scoring a single goal. Home and away I just lose without fail so I i've given up as it really is pointless. Thanks anyway.

Couple of questions:

1: Are you using the TC or classic tactics?

2: What formation are you using?

Not sure what TC stands for, sorry, but I am not using classic. I tried downloading them from the forum but found I couldn't use shouts etc. Was I doing something wrong?

I am playing 4-4-2. Tried 4-5-1 with a def min but my current def mid wasn't good enough to make it work and I don't have the resources to buy a new one.

Anyway, as an update I won my first game, 2-0 away from home against fellow relegation strugglers.

I think a major element of the game is confidence and I came to the club (Rochdale) part way through the season when confidence was very low. The difficulty is that when confidence is low its very hard to win I think (could be wrong though) but how to you get the players confident unless your winning? Anyway, after just one win some of the players are now showing good morale, when before they were all very poor or abysmal morale.

Just got to get a run together now......

Off to work now, back to reality :(

Not sure what TC stands for, sorry, but I am not using classic. I tried downloading them from the forum but found I couldn't use shouts etc. Was I doing something wrong?

I am playing 4-4-2. Tried 4-5-1 with a def min but my current def mid wasn't good enough to make it work and I don't have the resources to buy a new one.

Anyway, as an update I won my first game, 2-0 away from home against fellow relegation strugglers.

I think a major element of the game is confidence and I came to the club (Rochdale) part way through the season when confidence was very low. The difficulty is that when confidence is low its very hard to win I think (could be wrong though) but how to you get the players confident unless your winning? Anyway, after just one win some of the players are now showing good morale, when before they were all very poor or abysmal morale.

Just got to get a run together now......

Off to work now, back to reality :(

TC stands for Tactical Creator. It is a bunch of pre-sets for the players and a guide to put together a tactic for your team. It can be used together with shouts, which are really just pre-set changes to that tactic.

Classic tactics cannot be used with shouts, and most classic tactics uploaded to this site will have all the different team and player instructions ticked off so it won't help changing stuff like Mentality and Closing Down either.

In other words, if you are not sure what exactly the shouts do I recommend not using them at all... unless you create them yourself. A classic tactic is not meant to be changed at all. Rather, there are probably a set of two or three tactics from the same creator which you are supposed to switch between in certain situations.

Have you tried my tactic(s)? If so, how did that go and how did the players respond?

With respect IF you had followed my advice you would NOT have lost every game goalless. I can appreciate that you are too frustrated to try again (I have felt this in the past with other FM's) but the game is not without hope.

EDIT:

Whoops sorry just read your later post. Hope you are enjoying it now and you are right morale does have too large an effect.

Not sure how anyone can find this game hard to be honest. I've never played a FM game before, never played soccer, never followed soccer, never watched a complete game of soccer in my life, my only real experience with the sport is playing FIFA video games over a decade ago. Yet I managed to do the dafuge challenge, gaining 5 promotions in 6 years to go from level 6 to the premier division, and completed the premier league/champions cup double to complete the challenge in 11 seasons total. All using my own tactics, no downloads or anything, just using simple common sense. Remember I said I know jack about soccer so it really is thinking about it on a very simple level ... basically "If I set the positions to these roles and get these types of players my guys score ... that'll do, I'll try to get more of those types of players".

As far as strategy games go this one is really very easy, and if you're having trouble with it maybe you should look at what you're doing wrong rather than pointing fingers elsewhere.

watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme.png

Thanks Robzilla, that just made me chuckle and perfectly summed up the post - half the problem is people on here not just saying they like 12.1.1 and offering tips, but crowing about how great they are and implying that anyone who is finding the game a challenge must be stupid.

As someone who has had an up and down experience with 12.1.1 (and, to a lesser extent with 12.0.4) I would make two big suggestions. The first is that FM12 seems to really reward using formations which prioritise your best players. You can have a great 4-5-1 for example, but if you don't have the right personnel (particularly fast wingers and a good lone striker) you'll really struggle - as others have suggested, really listen to what you ass man suggests for the formations when you join the club because you can't just plug people into formations. My second piece of advice is a bit sketchy because it's only from limited experience, but I would suggest not being afraid to use the attacking mentality. HOWEVER, be aware of the limits of your squad's abilities. In my current save I used a simple, but attacking, fluid and direct 4-5-1 to fire Preston out of League 1 having taken over with them midtable in November. In the Championship this system started well, but quickly got found out as my underpowered squad (combined with horrendous injury problems) couldn't be so aggressive against teams carrying 6 times our wage bill. I tried changing formations with limited success, but actually got things on track by going back to the 4-5-1 and just scaling things back to a balanced approach and standard mentality. Morale isn't everything it was before 12.1.1 came out, but winning certainly does breed winning. Just try to be encouraging until it clicks.

driving me insane this patch, its just so predictable its stupid, found a tactic thats destroying teams, scored over 100 goals in championship but when the AI decides THE BAD RUN OF FORM STARTS NOW, it all goes to peices. It's like the AI is trying to converge statistics or some BS, last 7 games... 20 CCCs.... 2 goals....... opponents record..... 4 CCC's 11 goals. I dont mind I ended up wining the championship as all the teams I was competing with also went on a terrible run of form (to the point I beat Leicester 7-1 away and the news report said we have no raised any eyebrows. SORT IT OUT SI!!!!

Yeah stick to it. People complain about having more possesion shots etc and not winning which is very real life IMO, especially after being at Ewood Park Last night. 22 shots 14 on target (maybe not exactly that) Newcastle had 5 3 on target(again not completely sure) and we get beat 2-0. Corner 17-2 didnt score. Missed a penalty open net and a few what FM would consider Clear Cut Chances. Also with Barca drawing with Valencia last night I can only presume as always with barca they absoloutely dominated the game and from the highlights ive seen had plenty of chances including Messi missing a penalty. Just shows that SI have got the game absoloutely perfect. Ok maybe not perfect but people complaining about dominating and not winning just need to looka t real football. I love this game just wish I had more time to try and nail down some sort of consistency

Couldn't agree with you more, but If you can find me a 7-8 streak where you have dominated and lost points every game (every season as well in the new patch) then I will shut up and agree.

Also this happens at the saaaame time every season, at least spice it up a bit and change the timing around :p or even better yet actually improve the AI instead of making it 'cheat'

Couldn't agree with you more, but If you can find me a 7-8 streak where you have dominated and lost points every game (every season as well in the new patch) then I will shut up and agree.

Also this happens at the saaaame time every season, at least spice it up a bit and change the timing around :p or even better yet actually improve the AI instead of making it 'cheat'

Maybe instead of blaming the AI for cheating you should change things a little bit when it happens. You'll obviously know when to do this as it always happens at the same time. We all have bad runs of form and if we didn't I for one wouldn't bother playing.

Archived