Manchester United 4-4-2

Hi All,

I would like to share the tactic that I have been using with Man United. It has been hugely successful and is built on United's strengths but it should be successful with any other top team as well, provided they have players with high Stamina, Work Rate, Passing and fast defenders with good Anticipation and Positioning.

I am not going to upload the tactic because it is made solely using the TC aside from one tweak (Setting the playmaker to "None") so will take less than 2 minutes to make yourself.

It is a fast paced direct attacking 4-4-2 with flying wingers:

73OtN.jpg

And that is my usual first 11 as well.

Here are my fixtures (minus the last one against Everton away. It ended 1-1):

jbzag.jpg

And the league table:

eV9DF.jpg

I drew the last 3 matches and conceded 4 which is almost the same number of goals conceded in the previous 26 matches as you can see. For the drawn CL games, I played weakened teams as I had already qualified.

It was mostly plug and play but did I change the strategy to Counter against the bigger teams (Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs) away from home although it has not produced consistent results so maybe just stick with Control

Also, I used no OI's and my pitch size is the maxmium.

These are my squad stats at the moment:

muvO8.jpg

Vidic has scored more goals than I would like but I have been using the default set-piece setup so no idea why. That said though, 10 goals in 25 matches is not a ridiculous amount by any means.

I would like to stress again that this tactic was made taking maximum advantage of the Man United squad's strengths so will probably not work with a smaller team and would work best with Man United.

Give it a try and let us know the results. If you have any questions, I will be glad to answer them.

Edit: Also, it could be coincidence but it seems like I started to concede more and score a little less frequently when I changed the Match Prep from 'Very High - No specific focus' to 'Low - Teamwork'. I have changed it to 'Low - No specific focus' for my last game against Newcastle away and beat them 3-1 creating 7 CCC's

So I would suggest setting the Match Prep to 'Very High - No specific focus' until the tactic is fluid and then change to 'Average - No specific focus'.

Credits to TheBetterHalf, LlamaZA, knap, Cleon and Marsupian whose posts/threads assisted me alot.

Sure :)

GK - Goalkeeper, Defend

DR - Full Back, Support

DCR - Central Defender, Stopper

DCL - Central Defender, Cover

DL - Full Back, Support

MR - Winger, Attack

MCR - Deep-Lying Playmaker, Support

MCL - Ball-Winning Midfielder, Defend

ML - Winger, Attack

STCR - Trequartista, Attack

STCL - Poacher, Attack

Team Instructions:

Passing - More Direct

Creative Freedom - Default

Closing Down - Press More

Tackling - Default

Marking - Zonal

Crossing - Default

Roaming - More Roaming

Philosophy - Balanced

Starting Strategy - Control

Oh, and set the Playmaker to "None"

Did you use it for all friendlies?

Did you use a rotation policy and how did you deal with injuries with regard to roles and duties?

No set piece set up but did you set up players for set pieces?

Manager rep?

I assume no transfers as no needed with MU.

Would be interested in full season results.

Did you use it for all friendlies? Yes, but for most of them I used Man Marking before changing to Zonal

Did you use a rotation policy and how did you deal with injuries with regard to roles and duties? I did rotate. I kept the roles and duties the same. This was my 2nd/backup team

GK: Lindegaard

DR: Vrsaljko

DC: Jones/Evans

DC: Jones/Smalling

DL: Fabio/Evans

MR: Park/Young

BWM: Park/Jones

DLP: Carrick/Anderson

ML: Young/Cleverley

Treq: Berbatov/Owen

Poacher: Welbeck/Owen/Diouf

No set piece set up but did you set up players for set pieces? I chose Valencia, Young and Giggs to take corners/Anderson, Nani and Giggs for Free-Kicks

Manager rep? International Footballer

I assume no transfers as no needed with MU. I only bought Vrsaljko as a backup RB

Would be interested in full season results.

Answers in bold above :)

I could be wrong, but I think it's this (by koflok):

Pre-Match Pep

Pre-Match Team:

If you're favourite / similar opponent (Aggressive) I expect a Win,

If you're not favourite, (Calm) Give these fans their money worth

Pre-Match Individual:

If motivated, don't talk

If not motivated, (Passionately)I have faith in you

Half-Time Talk:

Half-Time Team:

When winning big, (Calm) Don't get complacent

When losing/drawing/winning 1-0/playing bad, (Aggressive) Team's pride at stake (or whatever on top)

Half-Time Individual:

If players get de-motivated, (Passionately)

Those who 'Gain Focus', just left it.

Full-Time:

Winning, (Passionately) A very nice victory, well done

If favourite / against similar team Losing/drawing (Aggressive) I'm disappointed (or whatever on top)

If underdog, and losing (Calm) Unlucky

Milsinho, Gee_Simpson: That is the correct guide, yes

kingjericho: By all means, link away :)

Edit: Just had my first loss of the season against City away. I started of with Counter and after conceding 2 penalties within 30 minutes, I changed to Control and the rest of the game played out with no further goals. Really gutted to lose 2-0, more than anything because it now means that I have conceded 11 goals for the season in the league. I was hoping to keep it under 10 :)

I have been speeding through the rest of the season to post up the full season results and in doing so have lost 2 more games because of a lack of watching the matches so the results have deteriorated a little. I beat spurs in the league cup final and am facing Napoli in the CL semis. Still leading the league with City right on my tail. I broke the EPL record for most wins in a row, then City broke my record 3 months later with 19 straight wins so you can imagine what a run they're having. The most disappointing of the 3 losses though was a 1-2 loss to Wolves away in the FA cup 6th round. I did however put out my 2nd team as 3 days later I had Inter away in the CL. Anyway, will post an end of season update some time later maybe :)

dear sir where is the link ??

The answer is in the top of the opening post :D

Hi All,

I would like to share the tactic that I have been using with Man United. It has been hugely successful and is built on United's strengths but it should be successful with any other top team as well, provided they have players with high Stamina, Work Rate, Passing and fast defenders with good Anticipation and Positioning.

I am not going to upload the tactic because it is made solely using the TC aside from one tweak (Setting the playmaker to "None") so will take less than 2 minutes to make yourself.

Well, obviously united are suited to a 4-4-2 formation due to the many quality strikers and wingers. Then I chose the suggested roles and duties for the first 11 aside from Rooney as I wanted a supporting type striker. Also, Berbatov's recommended role and duty is Trequartista so it seemed the obvious choice as both of them would fit that role well and they performed well(So far, in 45 games, Rooney has scored 29 and has 31 assists).

Regarding the team instructions, United have players with good passing overall and I thought that direct passing would fit well with a 4-4-2 and a Poacher as well, waiting on the shoulder of the last defender for balls over the top. Also, they have players with high stamina and work rate and fast defenders so I chose higher pressing. The attacking players (Wingers and Striker) have great off the ball, creativity and flair hence More Roaming and lastly I chose Zonal marking because the defenders has high positioning, decisions and pace.

To determine what they were good at I looked at the team comparison tab which shows the average of your team's attributes compared to the rest of the league.

Also, I chose a balanced philosophy because I think that fluid philosophies suit teams very high in creativity, flair and decisions whereas ours was average. And the strategy, well I chose Control since we would be favourites in most matches, home and away.

So it was all about playing to the players' strengths

Hope that is clear enough :)

At a glance, it looks like it definitely would but it took me a while to look at the average attributes of all my players so I would have to do the same with City to be sure. I can do that later :)

Also, here are my full season results:

WaAkx.jpg

7uTHQ.jpg

jOQya.jpg

ygsgt.jpg

One change I did make toward the end of the season was instead of playing with a Counter strategy away to the bigger teams, I played a Standard strategy against Arsenal, Chelsea and Napoli. I felt that with counter I was being dominated too much and conceding as a result of the pressure. Also, I am not going to play FM for a while after finishing half a season in 1 day! No idea why I did that! Just wanted to finish the season I suppose and be done with this save :D

Good explanation.

Do you think this tactic would work with Man City or would you recommend making changes to any of the settings.

So I have had a look and they have some good wingers in Silva, Nasri, Johnson and Balotelli maybe?

Also, a good treq in Aguero but no good covering central defenders. Anyway attribute wise, I think that the tactic would work but not as good with Man United due to the lower positioning attributes of the defense and slightly lower passing overall especially for Lescott, Richards, Savic and Onuoha

But I am sure it will do quite well :)

You were asking about corners and I did a little bit of a counting exercise the other day.

Results were as follows over half a season

Corners for 140 goals scored 13

Corners against 47 scored 2

Only 1 of these goals were match winning which was an AI goal.

4 goals for were scored in one game from only 7 corners.

Against other top sides in 5 games

Corners for 36 scored 1

Corners against 16 scored 0

I will change the defence and see how it goes with MC.

You were asking about corners and I did a little bit of a counting exercise the other day.

Results were as follows over half a season

Corners for 140 goals scored 13

Corners against 47 scored 2

Only 1 of these goals were match winning which was an AI goal.

4 goals for were scored in one game from only 7 corners.

Against other top sides in 5 games

Corners for 36 scored 1

Corners against 16 scored 0

I will change the defence and see how it goes with MC.

ok sir can you give the link of your tactic please with corner defensive and offense setup please it will be very nice

I gave this a go with Chelsea, and the results were very good. In all competitions my record so far is W22 D4 L0 F62 A18.

I've only been using the control tactic, as I wasn't convinced by the counter version (based on your results), but my results against the big teams have been good. So far beaten Man Utd, Arsenal, Spurs, Liverpool, and drawn with Man City.

Chelsea have obviously got a good team, but not especially suited to the tactic because they have no outstanding wingers or trequartista (I've used Anelka/Mata there who have been average). I can see why you did so well with a more fitting squad like Man Utd.

One thing I've noticed is that this tactic benefits hugely from being fully learned (ie fluid). Some of my early wins were unconvincing, but now the tactic's fluid I generally dominate and control matches much better and win comfortably.

Yeah, I was undecided on what to use against the big teams away and neither counter nor standard seemed convincing. Did you play any of them away?

Is anyone else having any good results with this tactic?

I have since made it a 4-2-3-1 and I am destroying teams, playing even more aesthetically pleasing football and scoring a lot of goals. I have just moved the MR and ML to AMR and AML and moved the Trequartista to AMC and made him an Advanced Playmaker - Support. Will post some screenshots later.

Is anyone else having any good results with this tactic?

I have since made it a 4-2-3-1 and I am destroying teams, playing even more aesthetically pleasing football and scoring a lot of goals. I have just moved the MR and ML to AMR and AML and moved the Trequartista to AMC and made him an Advanced Playmaker - Support. Will post some screenshots later.

I look forward to this and meanwhile will use the 4-4-2 with my Chelsea team start of second season, any tips for the tactic with them?

I like the look of this tactic, mainly because of its simplicity, it’s the kind of tactic which shows, given a few tweaks dependant on the opposition, how easy tactics can be.

I am going to create the 4-4-2 and the 4-2-3-1 you have mentioned. I may do a 4-5-1 as well, and sacrifice my Trequartista for a box to box midfielder because some games I like to pack the midfield if away/against top opposition. These 3 tactics could give me great options. I also think I will change the full backs to 'auto' in order for them to concentrate more on defending/attacking given the change in strategy I do.

I will be my team, Wolves, not only to test out a lower side but I think with the players they have, particularly the wingers, it could be well suited. Generally I think if you create a tactic with a balanced philosophy you can use it for anyone.

Two quick questions for you OP, do you often change to attacking/overload when chasing a win? And the same for defending a lead, do you modify the passing settings? strategy? and so on?

ShirazS

I am using this as I wanted to try and started a Man U file, going well so far, just a couple of things, Nani is playing like a donkey for me at the moment on either side of the wings, thinking of selling him also how would be a great fit for the STR position as a Trequartista??

Hi ShirazS

I am in my 2nd season with Liverpool and have been using a 4 1 2 2 1 but I have both Suarez and Tevez in my side so have been looking for a good 4 4 2. I'm gonna give it a go and will let you no how I get on.

Hi ShirazS

I am in my 2nd season with Liverpool and have been using a 4 1 2 2 1 but I have both Suarez and Tevez in my side so have been looking for a good 4 4 2. I'm gonna give it a go and will let you no how I get on.

Hi ShirazS

Tried your tactic but unfortunately didnt have quite the same results. Conceded a lot of goals from distance and defenders didnt seem to tackle. I did try it mid season so will give it another chance at the beginning of my 3rd to see if that makes a difference.

Brilliant result there Raymubdo. I found the tactic to be effective too, but I have to admit that I didn't have any results quite like that! What made you change the left FC to advanced forward, just out of interest? Was it based on observations, or just a gut feeling you had before you tried it?

I felt that the poacher position would be isolated in the 4-4-2 and having the right FC as a playmaker and team player that it would be unfair for the left FC to try to pick up everything in the box and be too far away from the team buil up and play.

A lot of tactics I see and have used the advanced forward setting is very preferable, having this now in play he works wide and comes inside and usually is the man banging in the goals in after linking up with the right FC, I found this works really well and who I play in the left FC (Hernandez, Defoe, Adebayor, Pav and Owen) it works like a charm and the balance of the team is pretty slick.

I've just finished a season using this tactic with Man Utd and without any tweaks or signings, I've won the quadruple.

I did use counter against teams that I wasn't expecting to dominate and it seemed to work well including a 3-0 home win in CL qtrs and as 7-0 home win against Liverpool (who were pushing for second place, btw). Came up against Chelsea in the CL final and beat them 3-0.

Hernadez scored 59 in all competitions and Rooney had over 25 assists.

Unfortunately, I think my save game may have developed a bug as I've had a little yellow box appear in the top right-hand corner of the word England. Has anyone seen this before?

Also, not sure if anyone is interested but I have come up with another tactic although I have not tested it yet but if you're playing with Dortmund and the squad is near to what they have at the start of the game, you can give this a try and let me know how it goes?

eWUo6.jpg

I think it could work with other teams as well.

ShirazS - In your original 4-4-2, was there any particular tactical reasoning for playing the TQ ahead of the DLP? Would it work equally well with the TQ ahead of The BWM? Just wondered why you set Giggs and Fletcher on their 'wrong' sides.

I'm currently trying it out with my Chelsea team. One would think that the TQ would benefit from playing ahead of the BW because there is more space in front of the BW than the DLP. This is crucial because the TQ sits deeper in order to find space to operate in. On the other hand: If using this setup the space surrounding the stopper and the BW would probably be alittle congested because of their mentality and high pressing. I prefer to have the lower mentality players on one side and higher mentality players on the other side. I don't know if there is any sence in this, but I believe that it makes a tactic more balanced.

ShirazS - In your original 4-4-2, was there any particular tactical reasoning for playing the TQ ahead of the DLP? Would it work equally well with the TQ ahead of The BWM? Just wondered why you set Giggs and Fletcher on their 'wrong' sides.

Not really, no. I think they would work fine if you switched them around, both the BWM-DLP or/and the TQ-Poacher. Infact it might be better having Hernandez on the right as he is right-footed. Rooney is two-footed so that would be good as well. I assume that playing a striker on the side of his stronger foot will allow him to shoot across goal.

Archived