Sports Interactive Community
deltablue

[FM11]Deltablue Rising II: Delta's Darlings.

Tripple digit GD!

For the second season. We're just that good.

May 2051

Liverpool 2-1 (5-1) Milan (CL SF)

We had nothing to lose when we went to Liverpool, unfortunately they easily finished us off. They scored in the 2nd minute, and again in the 35th. We had some chances but not enough to make a difference even if we hadn’t conceded more. We at least went out with a Clement goal with a few minutes left. Having cast aside so many sides in Europe just as easily, I couldn’t complain that the boot was on the other foot just this once. Instead I just stood there and applauded.

Bari 0-4 Milan (A)

It was still business of usual in the league at Bari. Eweka gave us the lead in the 27th minute, and extended it 10 minutes later. He had a goal disallowed at the start of the second half, but still complete his hat-trick from a penalty in the 58th minute, even getting a 4th in the 75th, before Richter had one disallowed.

Siena 0-0 (0-3) Milan (CI SF) 700th Milan Match!

We secured our place in the Italian cup final at least at Siena, which was also my 700th Milan game. The occasion didn’t really motivate the players as we sleepwalked through the first half. We were rather better after the break, but still didn’t score, even with a penalty.

Milan 4-0 Atalanta (A)

My last San Siro game was against Atalanta. Sebastiao gave us the lead in the 8th minute. Eweka scored his 60th goal of the season the 19th minute, and two Adriano goals in 5 minutes finished it off before half-time.

Chievo 1-1 Milan (A)

The last league game was at Chievo, who had been troublesome a lot of times before, and proved to be so again now. They soaked up plenty of pressure before taking the lead in the 33rd minute. Eweka being sent off dented our chances of a comeback, but Terzi at least gave us a draw in the 77th minute, even if we’d been denied the chance to break the 100 point barrier again.

Milan 3-1 Inter (CI Final)

My final Milan game was the cup final against Inter. Terzi gave us the lead in the 19th minute, but while we were on top they caught us off guard and equalized in the 41st minute. However the result wasn’t really in doubt. Terzi restored the lead in the 54th minute, Adriano getting a 3rd 5 minutes later. We eased off a bit after that, and they started coming at us, but couldn’t really get anywhere. At least that meant I could sign off with a successful cup final.

Final Milan League Table

Cup Final

So it ended on a slightly mixed note. It was interesting that having decided to leave because everything was too easy, it wasn’t quite this time, and not just in Europe. While not quite a strong challenger, Palermo were close enough that even in the spring I was looking over my shoulder a bit. However in the league we definitely went out on a high note, not quite a century of points again, but still a fantastic goal haul even by our standards, and after 5 CL titles (and 4 in 5 years) not getting a 6th seemed a very minor thing.

All good things... There were still some points where it did seem brilliant instead of dull, but the truth was that it really was time to seek something else. For the past couple of years I had more and more players who were clearly feeling the same and wanted to leave to seek a new challenge, and it was getting harder to deal with all of that. Plus we had reached the point where the core players were nearing the end of the peaks, getting to 30 (a few already were) and a nearly 34yr old Katsikas was certainly near the end of the road. It had taken a few years to get into gear but when we did the effect was quite incredible.

Without a doubt this was a special side, and even with the need for a new challenge, it was still hard to leave. Very occasionally I get lucky and get a club where I manage to really build something special, or at least have a few special players, and this was probably the best of the lot, it could be some time before I could get close to this again. I was a club legend, along with Terzi, Richter, Helm, Eweka, Brighenti and Kentsch. While I wasn't staying to see it updated at the next reset date, Puncheon, Sebastiao, Brighenti, Clement, Richter, Eweka and Terzi were in the club's overall best 11, with Adriano, Larsen, Schmeidel and Helm (still just 23!) on the bench. I don't know about you but I think I did alright ;)

Squad Stats

Star player: In the year meant for everyone to shine one last time, it's no surprise that Eweka shone brightest of all, 60 goals in 53 games taking him to 457 in 477 games for Milan. You just know that it'll just take a couple of setbacks at my next club for me to wish I still had him and his teammates.

Eweka

From no in-game trophies and literally only a few times even coming close, I had won a vast array of things, from the most important to the near irrelevant. The future was also very bright, even without the unwanted investment, we had been approaching 500M in the bank, very strong monthly profits, vast budgets far beyond what I was ever likely to use, a bit of life left in this squad and plenty of potential ready to take over... My successor would be in probably the best position it’s possible to take over, and the future was very bright for the club indeed, with plenty of success for years to come.

Farewell Milan :(

No doubt the big question is ‘Where next?’ Now that the ‘Brighton in BSS’ ship has sailed it could be any number of things really, now I’ve reached and enjoyed plenty of time at the highest level I’m free to wait and pick anything that particularly takes my interest. What I can say is that I want a mix of potential and challenge, maybe a relatively big 2nd or 3rd level club in one of the big nations as the most likely option, though aside from not wanting anyone too big or rich (or successful) this time having had my fill of fairly easy success, there’s not much that can be definitely ruled out. Might try and bring success to a relatively small side in one of the smaller leagues for instance. Deltablue-followers will know that you can never be sure with me.

Milan Trophy Cabinet

Italian cup: 5 (2043, 2045, 2046, 2049, 2051)

Champions League: 5 (2043, 2046, 2047, 2049, 2050)

European Super Cup: 3 (2043, 2046, 2049)

CWC: 5 (2043, 2046, 2047, 2049, 2050)

Serie A: 7 (2045, 2046, 2047, 2048, 2049, 2050, 2051)

Super Cup: 4 (2045, 2046, 2048, 2050)

Farewell Milan :) You've done well, sir.

Fantastic overall trophy haul from your time in Milan, especially considering they'd been in the can for a while before you took over. No idea where you will go next. Based on educated guess work I'd say the odds would be something like:

England (evens)

Brazil/Bayer Leverkusen - 2/1

Nigeria/At.Madrid 3/1

Uruguay/Dortmund 4/1

SK Frigg 5/1

Cameroon/Ghana/Russia 6/1

Galatasaray/Malaga/Spartak Moscow/Valencia 7/1

Argentina/Canada 8/1

Michalovce/BATE 10/1

You did an amazing job at Milan!
Farewell Milan :) You've done well, sir.

Thanks guys, I'd like to think so.

Fantastic overall trophy haul from your time in Milan, especially considering they'd been in the can for a while before you took over. No idea where you will go next. Based on educated guess work I'd say the odds would be something like:

England (evens)

Brazil/Bayer Leverkusen - 2/1

Nigeria/At.Madrid 3/1

Uruguay/Dortmund 4/1

SK Frigg 5/1

Cameroon/Ghana/Russia 6/1

Galatasaray/Malaga/Spartak Moscow/Valencia 7/1

Argentina/Canada 8/1

Michalovce/BATE 10/1

I can pretty much rule most of those out, a few interesting ideas among the rest though. ;)

Great job at Milan :thup:

13 years well spent I think.

Well done in Milan. Where do you think you'll go next?

Not entirely sure, just on the look out for something really tempting, but lower leagues in a big nation most likely or a smaller club in a lesser league. Only just reaching the point where jobs start becoming available in a majority of leagues, but will still take my time, especially since I'd want to take over at the end of the season if possible, and may not have anything until tomorrow afternoon at least. Very early on there was Deportivo, newly promoted to La Liga which was reasonably interesting but decided not to go for it, but that's the closest anything's got to attracting me. Will definitely avoid the bigger clubs though, fancy something a little different to Milan.

With deltablue unlikely to go back to England or Italy, looking to take on a relatively smallish club around Europe here are the official BET-PH71 updated odds:

Frigg Oslo FK 2/1

England 3/1

Fortuna Sittard 4/1

Dundee United, Italy 5/1

Beleneneses 6/1

Strange to crash out of the Champions League that way, after being so ridiculously dominant in previous years and in the group stage. Still another great season to finish this crazy Milan era. :thup: Not sure what you're up to next, but am pretty curious. Good luck.

End of an era, but it was a greatly successful one :thup: Well done!

It was truely amazing, only my sense of wanting a new challenge being that strong would have got me leaving at that point.

Strange to crash out of the Champions League that way, after being so ridiculously dominant in previous years and in the group stage. Still another great season to finish this crazy Milan era. :thup: Not sure what you're up to next, but am pretty curious. Good luck.

I'm as curious as you are.

With deltablue unlikely to go back to England or Italy, looking to take on a relatively smallish club around Europe here are the official BET-PH71 updated odds:

Frigg Oslo FK 2/1

England 3/1

Fortuna Sittard 4/1

Dundee United, Italy 5/1

Beleneneses 6/1

That's more like it;) Am actually very open to an English club, but probably not internationally, but the clubs, depending on their situation, are all possible, though might avoid the Belgian and Dutch lower leagues for obvious reasons (or I might have been interested in Gent in the Second Division), Dundee Utd was actually available at one point and if they weren't bottom of the SPL I may have taken it. However still got my eye on England/France (especially)/Germany/Adelante most of all. Wherever it is (and I still genuinely have no clue), you're likely getting warm.

Brilliant job,you achieved all what you could achieve,will be interesting to see where you end up next.

Good luc wherever you go, look forward to finding out where!
Brilliant job,you achieved all what you could achieve,will be interesting to see where you end up next.

Well, I can now tell you.

It took a while, partly because I wasn't in a hurry to take over somewhere in the middle of a season, partly because of the game processing weeks on end, partly because I was rejected by a couple of surprising places (including being laughed off by French National clubs!, their mistake), and when I did start 'holiday applying' in the spring the results were rather unsatisfactory. In the end I resorted to dirty means, looking at those unsecure jobs and declaring interest in quite a few of them. However it had the desired effect and soon I had a few good things to choose from. Finally a year and a day after leaving Milan, I arrived at...

Dunfermline

They had just been relegated from the Scottish Second Division, and while the Third Division would be a world away from Milan, that was the whole point of leaving, to find something nice and different like this. I had a few better offers but I felt that as a relatively big club at a low level, there was plenty of potential to make a great deal of progress, especially as the contract offer included 825k for transfers (10x what Rangers offered), and 10.1kpw wages with only 6.3kpw being used. Even considering those figures might be smaller after the reset date, 1.8M in the back means that I should still have plenty.

So, vastly underachieving club with a bit of money, a few leagues to potentially climb... I'm genuinely delighted with this.

Frigg Oslo FK 2/1

England 3/1

Fortuna Sittard 4/1

Dundee United, Italy 5/1

Beleneneses 6/1

WQell obviously, given this forum, it has to be Frigg ;)

Should be interesting, good luck in Scotland!

Thanks, should indeed be interesting.

WQell obviously, given this forum, it has to be Frigg ;)

Dundee United was close. Wonder what odds BET-PH71 would have given for this.

Summer 2052

So, Dunfermline then. They were back in the Third Division after just a season in the second. I inherited a good squad with plenty of balance and depth, but still wasted no time in looking for reinforcements anyway and still needed a couple of coaches. Affording them wouldn’t be difficult. Even scouring the free agents was fruitful (what I like about a low level is there’s cheap or free talent anywhere you look), especially for forwards, for the most part for 2-figure wages, barely making a dent in a massive wage surplus. We had 825k to spend, and 8.3kpw wage budget, using 3.5kpw, and I doubted we’d be using that much any time soon. However there was still a revolution going on.

We signed 11 players on frees in June alone, though there were only a few more after that, and only one paid for. There were rather more kicked out of the door. Thankfully the board only expected a top half finish, just in case we have some gelling problems, however I fancied going for promotion right away. There were a couple of things I didn’t miss about Scotland though, one of those was the abundance of cup matches early in the season, and indeed the season would start with two cup matches, both against Ayr, and thankfully they were a Second Division side as playing everyone at least 4 time is another thing that quickly becomes irritating.

Brannan

Evans

Lewis

Mackay

McCulloch

Ritchie

Welsh (who isn't)

Transfers

Well done in Milan, and a very interesting move to Scotland. Good luck :thup:.

To Scotland :) Good luck!

I look forward to reading your exploits north of the border with interest!
Well done in Milan, and a very interesting move to Scotland. Good luck :thup:.
To Scotland :) Good luck!

Sadly its not started too well.

Good luck with the Pars. A club like that should be in or around the SPL

I agree, which is why I chose them. Kilmarnock are also down here, and you could say similar things (at least regarding Division 1) about Ross County and Partick Thistle (though'll you'll be glad to hear they're still a pain).

Jul/Aug 2052

Ayr 1-0 Dunfermine (SCC)

We started at Ayr in the challenge cup. They were better from the start, though having a disallowed goal in the first half kept us in the game until they eventually got a 72nd minute winner.

Dundermline 1-3 Ayr (SLC)

We then faced them at home in the league cup. Welsh gave us the lead in the 13th minute. However they still pushed very strongly, and equalized after 50 minutes. They took the lead again in the 72nd minute, and finished us off with a 3rd, however as they were predicted to win Division 2 (and had strong loanees), I wasn’t too downhearted, as we wouldn’t have to deal with teams who were anywhere near that strong right now.

East Stirlingshire 0-3 Dunfermline (SD3)

The first league game was at East Stirlingshire. We were mediocre in the first half, but brightened up after half-time. Winger Martin gave us the lead in the 50th minute, followed later by ball-winner McDonagh, and right at the end defender Wright made it a good 3-0 win.

Dunfermline 2-2 Stirling (SD3)

The first home game was against Stirling, but they knocked us off our perch when they scored in the 5th minute. A Ferguson penalty equalized in the 49th minute, and 16yr old Douglas gave us the lead in the 63rd minute, but they equalized a few minutes later and it had been an even enough game that I couldn’t complain.

Ross County 1-1 Dunfermline (SD3)

Against Ross County we again had a poor first half. English forward Evans gave us the lead in the 64th minute, but Ross County were better than East Stirlingshire and equalized to get a share of the points.

Dunfermline 2-5 Stranraer (SD3)

We then played the other side relegated from Div 2, Stranraer. It started very badly as they took the lead after half an hour, soon making it 2-0. Evans got a goal back in the 40th minute, followed by Harris just before the hour mark, but then we just collapsed and they ran up a 5-2 win.

League Table

Sept/Oct 2052

Queens Park 0-2 Dunfermline (SD3)

We struggled early on at Queens Park, but took control after they went down to 10 men. Evans gave us the lead after half an hour, with Martin getting another in the 77th minute.

Dunfermline 1-1 Kilmarnock (SD3)

Kilmarnock were an even more surprising name at this level than we were. In an even game, we thought we finally had a home win when we took the lead through an own goal, in the 64th minute however in stoppage time they grabbed an equalizer.

Dunfermline 1-2 Partick Thistle (SD3)

Partick Thistle had been a thorn in my side before, and now were so again. They took the lead in the 4th minute, and though Evans equalized in the 75th minute from a penalty, they grabbed a quick winner.

Dunfermline 0-1 Stenhousemuir (SD3)

We hoped to finally get a home win against struggling Stenhousemuir, but we failed to grab the opportunity. Things got worse after the break when they took the lead, and we had an equalizer disallowed just a few minutes later.

Dunfermline 0-0 Spartans (SC)

In the Scottish cup we faced Spartans. Our poor home luck continued when Evans had a goal disallowed midway through the first half, but we still should have worked hard enough to get another.

Spartans 1-2 Dunfermline (SD3)

We had the replay a few days later. They scored in the 5th minute, but that woke us up a bit. Mackay headed in his first goal in the 25th minute, with Ferguson giving us the lead a few minutes later, and we were actually good value for more.

League Table

I guess a poor start was to be expected, lots of new and undeveloped players getting used to new tactics and each other. Actually seemed to start well enough but even then these kids wouldn't know consistency if it walked up and shook their hands, and there's been a lack of life. I've had this often enough not to be too worried about the future, but had still hoped for better so far.

Not an awful start, still early days. It's always going to be difficult to get out of that divison though..

Not an awful start, still early days. It's always going to be difficult to get out of that divison though..

Well, another poor month leaves us 9th, if we don't improve soon my job will be under threat. If I do survive things should be better next season. I didn't come to Dunfermline on holiday (just as well) so still will try and stick it out.

What place is Dunfermlime expected to finish in?

What place is Dunfermlime expected to finish in?

5th.

Nov 2052

Annan 0-3 Dunfermline (SD3)

We didn’t expect to do too well at Annan, who were comfortably top. However I didn’t expect to concede as early as the 3rd minute and being 3-0 down 10 minutes later! They eased off, though Evans’ injury left us a man down in the second half.

Dunfermline 1-1 East Stirlingshire (SD3)

We finally looked like getting a first home win against East Stirlingshire. Welsh gave us the lead in the 25th minute, and we continued to look bright for a while, but it was too good to last. They firmly had the upper hand in the second half, eventually equalizing after a disallowed goal.

Stirling 2-2 Dunfermline (SD3)

We struggled at Stirling, but showed that we could fight in games. We went behind in the 39th minute, but Douglas equalized a few minutes later. We were headed for defeat in the 70th minute, which would have dropped us to 9th, but Lewis equalized in the 84th minute.

Dunfermline 1-2 Ross County (SD3)

We had to come back from behind again against Ross County, but it still wasn’t enough. The first half was even in a very dull way. In the second they took the lead in the 64th minute, and still won despite Evans equalizing with a 75th minute penalty.

Stranraer 3-0 Dunfermline (SD3)

We didn’t do much better at Stranraer than last time. Going 2-0 down after 15 minutes, and conceding another 15 minutes from time.

Dunfermline 4-0 Berwick (SC)

The odds were against us in the next cup match against Firs Division Berwick. They took the lead from a 3rd minute penalty, and go two more before half-time.Even by our recent standards we were poor, as they were free to walk all over us and eventually get a 4th.

League Table

Dec 2052

Dunfermline 3-1 Queens Park (SD3)

Having waited so long for a home win, we finally got one against Queens Park (our first league win since our last game against them) and in style as well. McCulloch’s penalty gave us the lead in the 24th minute, with McDonagh extending it in the 40th minute. We made it 3-0 in the 65th minute from veteran midfielder Cheeseman, and while they quickly got a goal back, it was a good day, and it was just as well that we won as even a draw would have sent us bottom.

Dunfermline 1-3 Annan (SD3)

We managed on build on it against Annan, at least at first. Welsh gave us the lead in the 5th minute, but reality ensued when they equalized 5 minutes before half-time, and the second half saw them comfortably stroll to a 3-1 win.

Partick Thistle 1-3 Dunfermline (SD3)

A trip to Partick Thistle was very much in ‘don’t get your hopes up’ territory. Again Welsh gave us the lead in the 5th minute. This time we extended it in the 40th minute, but they pulled one back just afterwards, however thanks to a 69th minute goal from Rigney, we got a good win against the 2nd placed side, as we were starting to look decent at least.

Kilmarnock 1-1 Dunfermline (SD3)

We went to Kilmarnock on Boxing Day (thankful that Scotland doesn’t have the same busy Christmas period as England), and went behind in the 19th minute. However we rescued a point (which meant not dropping a couple of places, given how close the league was below the playoff places) through Ferguson in the 57th minute.

Moving away from Scotland, I was delighted to see Milan grab the top 3 of world player of the year again, with Richter, Eweka and Clement, having strolled to a title win last season that was as comfortable as any they won under me. Defender of the year was the only European category we didn’t win (Puncheon being best keeper for what was something like the 6th year in a row, with Richter as midfielder and Eweka as striker.)

League Table

Jan 2053

Stenhousemuir 2-0 Dunfermline (SD3)

For the 3rd time I entered 2053, having never passed it. We survived a disallowed goal against Stenhousemuir, but a penalty still gave them the lead in the 1st half, and no thanks to a couple of injuries for us, they got another early in the second half.

East Stirlingshire 2-0 Dunfermline (SD3)

A similar fate befell us at East Stirlingshire. They took the lead in the 32nd minute, and though we occasionally looked like equalizing, they hit us with a late goal.

Dunfermline 3-2 Stirling (SD3)

McDonagh gave us the lead in the 28th minute against Stirling. Harris came on at half-time and gave us a brace to make it 3-0 in the 79th minute. However in the last 10 minutes they got 2 goals back, and had a few stoppage time corners, but we got the win, though we remained 8th.

Ross County 1-0 Dunfermline (SD3)

That exciting game was followed by an anticlimax at Ross County, where the only real bit of life was when they scored at the start of the second half.

League Table

Feb 2053

Dunfermline 1-2 Stranraer (SD3)

We hoped to get something agaist bottom side Stranraer, but went behind in the 6th minute. Rigney equalized on the break just before half-time, but they scored a penalty in the hour mark. We had a few late chances, including having a claim to a penalty of our own, but ended up losing.

Queens Park 1-2 Dunfermline (SD3)

We had won both games against Queens Park so far, but failed to get a 3rd in Glasgow. That much was clear from the 2nd minute when they took the lead. Rigney equalized in the 25th minute, but they retook the lead 10 minutes later, and late in the match both forwards came off injured.

Dunfermline 3-1 Kilmarnock (SD3)

Douglas gave us the lead in the 1st minute against Kilmarnock. They soon had a goal disallowed, and eventually equalized in the 21st minute but we kept up momentum and Cheeseman scored a free-kick in stoppage time. We kept going in the second half and Douglas got his 2nd goal in the 83rd minute, as the 16yr old was looking pretty handy.

Annan 1-2 Dunfermline (SD3)

Going to Annan was a far tougher prospect. In the first half we kept it dull but even. Both sides started pushing after the break, but it was still a surprise when Rigney took the lead in the 79th minute. They soon equalized, but Douglas gave us a great win in stoppage time knocking them off top spot.

League Table

Even if it looks like we are starting to click more than once in a blue moon (and seriously the games where all the team played well or at least alright is very much in the minority) it's too late to really rescue the season in any way. Very bad growing pains. However the next game, at home to Partick Thistle, will be my 1,700th.

Looks like a tough first season, i have no doubt you can turn it around next year.

You had a terrifically dominant era at Milan :thup:

Looks like it's going to take a while for your magic to rub off in Scotland though ;)

Interesting move to Scotland there, hopefully you can urn things around!
Looks like a tough first season, i have no doubt you can turn it around next year.

Well, we can't get much worse.

You had a terrifically dominant era at Milan :thup:

Looks like it's going to take a while for your magic to rub off in Scotland though ;)

Yes, I gathered that.

Mar 2053

Dunfermline 3-1 Partick Thistle (SD3)

Partick Thistle was my 1,700th game. Unfortunately it wasn’t a game to remember. They scored in the 17th minute and again early in the second half. Harris got a goal back in the 59th minute but we were never really in the game and they got a 3rd after 80 minutes.

Dunfermline 1-2 Stenhousemuir (SD3)

We started better against Stenhousemuir, getting the lead from Martin in the 14th minute. They equalized in the 36th, but we still looked good in the second half and it was very harsh that they got the winner, in the 77th minute.

Dunfermline 1-2 East Stirlingshire (SD3)

We were unlucky against against East Stirlingshire. We were down just before the break, but had an equalizer disallowed at the start of the second half. Douglas struck to level it in the 83rd minute but they grabbed a winner right at the end.

Stirling 1-4 Dunfermline (SD3)

For some reason, we seemed to have our best performances in away games, and had the best yet at Stirling. Rigney gave us the lead in the 3rd minute, Harris then came on for an injured Douglas and scored a 10th minute penalty, adding another in the 34th minute. Cheeseman mad it 4-0 in the 82nd minute, while they got a last minute consolation.

Dunfermline 2-3 Ross County (SD3)

We followed this up by one of our more positive home performances, against Ross County. Rigney gave us a long-deserved lead in the 65th minute. They quickly equalized but we soon restored the lead from Douglas. An 81st minute equalizer was disappointing but nothing compared to the complete switch off from the entire defence that gave them a very undeserved stoppage time winner.

League Table

Apr/May 2053

Stranraer 1-2 Dunfermline (SD3)

A trip to Stranraer was as close to a straightforward game as we’d get. McDonagh scored in the 2nd minute, and 16th. They got a goal back right at the end but otherwise it was a simple win.

Dunfermline 3-2 Queens Park (SD3)

We were predictably awful at home to Queens Park. Even though they took the lead, we looked like we might get an equalizer before they added another 20 minutes later, and easily getting a 3rd before the break, as there was no resistance from us. In the second half we woke up and after 15 minutes, Harris and Johnston made it 3-2 but there was no equalizer coming.

Kilmarnock 2-2 Dunfermline (SD3)

A goal-less first half at Kilmarnock meant that we were heading for the bottom of the table. Thankfully we took the lead from O’Brien in the 49th minute, and when they equalized from a penalty, results elsewhere meant we we would remain above 10th, which was just as well as though Johnston gave us the lead in the 76th minute, a stoppage time equalizer meant we had to settle for a draw.

Dunfermline 1-2 Annan (SD3)

We had another battle to avoid last against Annan. They took the lead in the 25th minute, but though we equalized through Harris in the 49th minute, a late winner for Annan sent us to the bottom.

Partick Thistle Nil 0-2 Dunfermline (SD3)

The penultimate game was at Partick Thistle, and as well as being an away game, the fact they had an early red card helped our chances. For a long time it looked like we’d merely survive, but McDonagh heading in a corner in the 85th minute was a nice surprise, and a few minutes later Harris even gave us another.

Stenhousemuir 3-1 Dunfermline (SD3)

The last game was at Stenhousemuir, which didn’t go well at all. They took the lead in the 13th minute, and though Johnston equalized in the 34th minute, we were too poor to get anything. It was no surprise that they retook the lead a few minutes into the second half, and got a late third, condemning us to the humiliation of last place.

Final League Table

Well I wanted something different from Milan... This isn’t a regret, just a bemused observation. It was definitely a ‘growing pains’ season, and with plenty of reasons why, with so many green players thrown together. I still had hoped for better, we had some good away wins against the top teams but proved mostly mediocre at best and clueless at worst otherwise. Even when players had good games they often were poor in the next one. Thankfully we were in a league where there was no pressure of relegation or it would have been disasterous rather than disappointingly mediocre.

At least there were some flashes of potential, especially later on where we deserved far more points and these things often take time. At least if/when we do get somewhere I can use poor starts as a satisfying measure of progress. There would still be a lot of movement though, as even early in the season the scouts had thrown up players even better than my summer signings potentially would be. I had decided to wait before making any more moves, but there would certainly be some more strengthening coming. Whether it would do us any good in the short-term remained to be seen, but things should start getting much better.

Squad Stats

Star player: Not too much to cheer about, but we did have a few players who managed to keep up a reasonable consistency, this chap was one of them even before a few goals late in the season.

Johnston

Wow all ended pretty badly.Hopefully some summer signings can change you fortunes.

Wow all ended pretty badly.Hopefully some summer signings can change you fortunes.

Yep, we were only bottom after the last and 3rd last games of the season, though had been pretty close for a lot of the season. Some contrast to before with Milan. If Michalovce to Milan was probably the biggest step up I've ever taken, this has to be the biggest step down by a light year (at least). Still, more of a challenge and more mixed fortunes is what I wanted (though hardly like this obviously). Had an even busier (and probably far more productive) summer this time, so fortunes will change, though when and how quickly are very open questions.

Summer 2053

After last year I was definitely busy. I had decided to set the bar quite a bit higher for new signings, having scouted as many free agents as I could possibly manage, but even then this ‘quality over quantity’ approach ended up with a lot of players being signed as anyone that did look better needed to be snatched up without having the luxury of waiting and seeing if there were better players. This lead to the farcical situation of one of the earlier signings being released when I was later trimming the squad down, and a few others being borderline but staying. The upshot was that even most of the ‘lesser’ signings improved the side, and there were a couple I was delighted to get, so we were considerably better than last year, and I already couldn’t wait to see what they could do next season, even if I probably wouldn’t this year, as there probably wouldn’t have to be the rush for new talent of this summer and last. Just as well as we followed up 13 signings last year with 15 this time.

I was hoping that I would last to see things bear fruit, but with the exception of the end of last season, the board were still ‘satisfied’ (admittedly not about the league performance), but we had hit rock bottom, the expectation was simply to ‘learn from the experience’, which with no relegation pretty much meant there was no pressure, and we were one of the least-fanced teams in the league. Even if we couldn’t click this season, despite the vast increase in squad quality, and the fact that last year’s reinforcements had gelled, I at least wanted to take a small step up the league (maybe no lower than 8th) but if I didn’t need to load on new players afterwards, I wanted to really step up afterwards. However that was an issue for another day.

Anderson

Babu

Bradshaw

de Jongh

Marsh

Ryan

Sturridge

Thompson

This is a pattern you guys have seen from me before (even my last Scottish League trip with Airdrie), load up on good players (which I probably failed to do properly last time) like a kid in a sweet shop, wait out a slow start and then start making serious progress (though the youth thing does complicate that a bit), so while it doesn’t always work (Hogaborg!) I know not to worry too much, at least for a while.

Tough first season with Dunfermline but I'm confident you can improve in the new season.

Definitely a first year learning experience. How much did releasing those newly signed players cost?

Definitely a change from winning the champions league with Milan, hopefully this season will be better

Tough first season with Dunfermline but I'm confident you can improve in the new season.
Definitely a change from winning the champions league with Milan, hopefully this season will be better

I really hope so.

Definitely a first year learning experience. How much did releasing those newly signed players cost?

Just one signing was released. I think it was just a few thousand at most. In total releasing players cost something like 50k but we still have 1.5M in the bank so I don't really have to worry about that.

Real mixed bag there. The 2nd season is always progressive. I'm sure you'll turn it round

Lots of work to do in Scotland.
Tough first year but things will come together next year.
Real mixed bag there. The 2nd season is always progressive. I'm sure you'll turn it round
Bit of a minor step back after Milan. :D

I think thats the biggest understatement in FMCU history. :D Anyway, the news is much better this time...

Jul/Aug 2053

Dunfermline 1-2 QOTS (SCC)

We opened against Division 1 Queen of the South in the challenge cup. It was for the most part an entirely new team, but it worked alright. We took the lead from Evans (one of only two members of the starting lineup who wasn’t new) in the 33rd minute in an even first-half. They took advantage of a defensive weakness to equalize just before half-time, and though they got a second half winner it wasn’t too depressing a start.

Dunfermline 2-3 Dundee (SLC)

We had another First Division opponent, Dundee, in the league cup. Evans gave us the lead again in the 3rd minute, and oddly it was far more one-sided but we appeared to resist Dundee’s pressure far more. They did break through in the 53rd minute then took the lead, but it wasn’t quite over as left-winger Anderson equalized in the 76th minute. We couldn’t quite do it as they got a winner 10 minutes later, as again it was ‘good but no cigar’.

Dunfermline 4-0 Albion Rovers (SD3)

What mattered however was whether we could do it in the league, and we started against relegated Albion Rovers. Evans yet again gave us the lead, in the 20th minute. We really stepped up a gear in the 2nd half. Evans had a goal disallowed but McDonagh headed in a free-kick in the 70th minute. A de Jongh penalty made it 3-0 in the 80th minute at Sturridge finished off a great 4-0 win, and it was at home as well where we had seriously struggled last year (even within the context of finishing bottom). Somehow I doubted we’d be bottom this time.

Ross County 3-4 Dunfermline (SD3)

The first trip was to Ross County. This time Welsh gave us the lead, in the 8th minute. Bradshaw headed in a corner for his first goal for the club in the 20th minute. We looked comfortable, but they scored a couple of minutes before half-time, and equalized in the 73rd minute. However Marsh restored the lead in the 85th minute, followed by Welsh a couple of minutes later, which was very useful as they got a 3rd goal, but we hung on to be the only side to win both league games.

Dunfermline 2-0 Stenhousemuir (SD3)

Stenhousemuir were more comfortable. Babu gave us the lead in the 29th minute, with the winger setting up a McDonagh header on the strong of half time. They were more resilient in the second half, but it was too late to do them much good.

Stranraer 3-1 Dunfermline (SD3)

Going to Stranraer we had a far harder time of things. McDonagh gave us the lead in the 40th minute but they had more pressure. They equalized in the 53rd minute, but Ryan in goal made a disasterous error to gift them the lead in the 86th minute, and they even got a last-minute 3rd. It was a waste of at least a point but we stayed top.

League Table

Sept 2053

Dunfermline 3-1 Queens Park (SD3)

We bounced back against Queens Park. McDonagh headed us into the lead in the 8th minute. Welsh extended it after 20 minutes, and while they pulled one back, they were never that big a threat, and Welsh’s 2nd goal near the end finished it off.

Kilmarnock 1-1 Dunfermline (SD3)

Going to Kilmarnock was just as tricky as Stranraer, but Welsh gave us a 38th minute lead. They equalized from a 65th minute penalty but at least didn’t look like getting a winner.

East Fife 0-4 Dunfermline (SD3)

East Fife was a key away game as they were just a point behind us, in 3rd. It was tight for a while, but Welsh gave us the lead in the 33rd minute, and extended it in first-half stoppage time. Evans made it 3-0 in the 56th minute, and Welsh completed a deserved hat-trick a few minutes later. It was easily the best performance of my Dunfermline reign (which admittedly wasn’t saying much), and our league lead, extended again to 3 points (it was like a slinky alternating between 3 and 1 after).

League Table

Oct 2053

Dunfermline 3-1 East Stirlingshire (SD3)

Welsh gave us the lead in the 14th minute at home to East Stirlingshire. They were tricky for the rest of the half, but in the second half McDonagh made it 2-0 in the 56th minute, and Welsh got another in the 84th. They quickly got a goal back and looked like snatching one more, but it was an efficient win.

Stirling 5-1 Dunfermline (SD3)

We had a defensive disaster at Stirling, conceding the first of 3 first half goals in the 9th minute. Marsh got a goal back in the 55th minute but with the help of a red card they ran up a 5-1 win.

Dunfermline 3-0 Lossiemouth (SC)

The first Scottish Cup game was an easy one against Lossiemouth. Welsh gave us the lead in the 5th minute, but we were otherwise happy to take it easy. De Jongh’s penalty came in the 40th minute, and there was a first goal for Porter on the right wing in the 66th minute.

http://i986.photobucket.com/albums/ae345/Deltablue9/oct53.jpg'>League Table

Nov 2053

Albion Rovers 3-0 Dunfermline (SD3)

Our home and away form seemed to have been reversed this season, and we had another bad day at Albion Rovers. They had 2 goals in the first 15 minutes, and got a 3rd.

Dunfermline 1-1 Ross County (SD3)

We still had a 100% record at home, but lost it against Ross County. Bradshaw gave us the lead in the 32nd minute, but they equalized a few minutes later, and neither side could get a winner.

Stenhousemuir 1-0 Dunfermline (SD3)

We were definitely wavering, and went behind in the 8th minute at Stenhousemuir. We had a few good late chances but could’t prevent defeat.

Dunfermline 2-1 Stranraer (SD3)

We finally won again against Stranraer, though only just. Thompson gave us the lead in the 40th minute, but they equalized in the 69th minute. Welsh had a goal disallowed just afterwards, but he still had a shot turned in for an own-goal with a couple of minutes left to preserve our league lead.

Dunfermline 2-2 Stirling (SC)

Our nearest rivals were Stirling who we now had in the cup. Having dried up since his early burst of goals, Evans gave us the lead in the 22nd minute. They scored twice in the second half, and it looked like we were out, but Marsh scored 5 minutes from time to earn a replay.

League Table

We've not been that good since the first part of the season so we've still got a massive struggle to go up. Still delighted to be top instead of bottom, especially after making so many signings that either have gelled that quickly or have such potential that they've delivered that much improvement while relatively un-gelled. Interesting home improvement as well, having won all but one in the league, compared to only 3 of the 10 league wins we got last year.

Top of the table so a great season so far.

I must say, you are clearly an entertaining team! You have the best attack and the worst defence in the league. :D

Definitely doing much better this season,hopefully you can maintain that sort of form.

BET-PH71 wasn't expecting Dunfermline! Not the best of seasons especially after all that success in Milan, but I've managed a side that finished bottom of the Scottish 3rd Div, once you get a decent squad together it's not that hard to rise through the shambles that is the SFL.

Dropped a few points but still top, thats all that matters.

Exactly, let them worry about us.

Top of the table so a great season so far.

I must say, you are clearly an entertaining team! You have the best attack and the worst defence in the league. :D

I have actually finished a season having both scored and conceded the most, probably multiple times. High goals going in both ends isn't usual (though sometimes I can keep goals conceded relatively low) for me.

Things are going slightly better so far this season :lol:

Yes, nice to be at the right end of the table again.

Definitely doing much better this season,hopefully you can maintain that sort of form.

I hope not! We've been a bit of a mess recently and need to get a good burst, which so far we are (3 league wins out of 3 so far today)

BET-PH71 wasn't expecting Dunfermline! Not the best of seasons especially after all that success in Milan, but I've managed a side that finished bottom of the Scottish 3rd Div, once you get a decent squad together it's not that hard to rise through the shambles that is the SFL.

My thoughts exactly. There's not a massive difference between teams in a division or the divisions themselves (at least until the higher reaches of Div 1 probably), though it adds up to 3rd Div sides still being clear underdogs against Div 1 sides or even the best Div 2 ones, so hopefully we can start to make a bit of a move up.

Pretty close, but still, looking much better this time around :)

Pretty close, but still, looking much better this time around :)

Hope to fix the 'close' bit soon enough. Anyway, I was always serious about Dunfermline, despite inevitably a lot of interest from big sides, but even decided against going for Barca just now, though it took a bit of thought.