How do I downgrade to 12.0.4?

Correct and correct. There is no way to go back a patch (why would you want to reinclude bugs that had been fixed?)
My guess would be the difficulty spike.

Yes, it's probably more rewarding when you do win stuff, but for the casual player who likes to just buy decent players, pick a balanced tactic and get winning, I imagine the patch has been quite frustrating.

More realistic, sure. But a lot of people just want to win stuff.

So if I don't like to play with the January transfers in effect, I must create my game before that patch is released?

No. The transfers are a database update. So you select which database you start with at the beginning of the game (currently the only one is 'Default', which is 12.0.0)

Thanks guys. It is in fact nothing to do with difficultly (i have no problems in this respect especially seeing as I have played FM/CM for 10+ years now), especially as I have only ever played on 12.1.1 having got the game at Christmas. Was just wanting to have a network game with a mate, but he has problems with the new patch so I said that I would try and roll back. Doesn't matter anyway, will play the network game on 11 instead.

Archived