Sports Interactive Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

izzax

FM12: Vitesse - A bag full of money!

Welcome to the Vitesse team thread

Vitesse-Arnhem.png

Description

Stichting Betaald Voetbal Vitesse is a Dutch football club from Arnhem, which was founded on 14 May 1892. Vitesse (French for speed) has had considerable success in the Eredivisie, and featured in the UEFA Cup competition, but has never been considered a close competitor of the top three clubs of Netherlands football, namely PSV, Feyenoord, and Ajax.

History

Vitesse's budget increased from 360,000 to 26 million euros from 1985 to 1999 while the usual home attendance saw an increase from 800 to 23,000. The number of sponsors also increased from 10 to 400.

The club had its own shares of success and failures and faced ups and downs in their rankings since their inception. However, the person largely responsible for the football revolution within the team was Karel Aalbers. He was a devoted fan and a millionaire. He supported the team when the club was going out of business. He took over the club’s responsibility during 1984. It was thanks to him that Vitesse play at Gelredome having supermodern facilities.

However with the beginning of the 21st century, dark clouds gathered over Arnhem. The club became the victim of a sponsoring contract and ended up with a huge debt to a sponsor. For Karel Aalbers, the story did not have a satisfactory ending as he also became the prime suspect in an ugly case of tax fraud in 2000. Though he was not convicted but had to leave the club unfortunately. For the next two seasons Vitesse battled against relegation. The club is now safe and has surprisingly returned into the race for UEFA Cup tickets in 2005. It is often predicted that the clubs future would be more modest than Aalbers vision.

With over 110 years of history, Vitesse have never seen any official domestic silverware win though it had managed to win several regional championships before World War Two. The team also played three Dutch Cup finals but lost all the three. They lost against Haarlem in 1912, against VUC in 1927 and against PSV during 1990. The year 1990 is considered to be the most memorable year for the team. After being promoted to the Eredivisie, the club had an incredible first season at the top flight. The team finished third and the team’s right flank including Martin Laamers, Bart Latuheru and Edward Sturing were called to play for Holland in a match against Brazil. The KNVB Cup final in Rotterdam saw a dramatic play from the Arnhemmers. John van den Brom, the Vitesse icon had missed a penalty in the very last minute and PSV had a lead by 1-0.

The Vitesse team’s best international performances include the UEFA Cup victory over Dundee United (1990) and AEK Athens (1998) and a brave battle against Inter Milan in 2000. The Italian club was unable to beat Vitesse (0-0 and 1-1) but could advance further on a single goal. Even the spectacular 2002-2003 season saw an excellent UEFA Cup run, with the exclusion of Werder Bremen (German player) as the unforgettable highlight.

Today

On 16 August 2010, the former Georgian footballer and now businessman Merab Jordania became the owner of Vitesse. Jordania expressed his ambition for Vitesse to become champion of the Eredivisie league within three years. His first action as owner involved attracting 8 new young players, though no established stars. However, the takeover, especially given Jordania's background, resulted in massive controversy, some commentators arguing that this takeover was the Dutch equivalent of what had happened in English football, financial globalization and possibly longer-term destabilization, as expressed in the many opinions in the local paper. Some experts believe that the real purchaser is none other than Roman Abramovich. Whatever the case, Jordania is the new president of the club.

Merab_Jordania_776912p.jpg

Stadium

The GelreDome is a football stadium in the city of Arnhem, in the Netherlands. It serves as the home of the football club Vitesse. It was opened on 25 March 1998, featuring a retractable roof, as well as a convertible pitch, that can be retracted, when unused during concerts or other events held at the stadium, and a climate control system. It has a maximum capacity of 34,000. It was also one of the venues for the Euro 2000 tournament held in the Netherlands and Belgium. It replaced the Nieuw Monnikenhuize.

gelredome-in-arnhem.jpg

4935.jpg

Vitesse on Football Manager 2012

Nation - The Netherlands

Founded - 1892

Status - Professional

Reputation - National

Nickname - Vitas, FC Hollywood aan de Rijn

Chairman Status - Loves the club

Legends - Charley Bosveld, Theo Bos

Icons - Theo Janssen

Favoured Personel - Piet Velthuizen, Edward Sturing

Fierce Rivals - NEC Nijmegen

Other Rivals - De Graafschap

Finances - Secure

Average Ticket Price - €24.00

Average Season Ticket Price - €299

Season Ticket holders - 10,000

Estimated Value - €26.5M (Loan Debt: €12.25M)

Continental Competition - None

Media Prediction - 5th

Squad Personality - Determined

Captain - Frank van der Struijk

Vice Captain - Alexander Büttner

Expectations

84050476.png

Squad Analysis

Goalkeepers

Piet Velthuizen - A really good goalkeeper for a club such is a Vitesse. He doesn't have any spectacular skills, but they are all rounded. The only thing could worry is his Eccentricity and Tendency to Punch. Also his Acceleration is not that good also, so he might have a problems with rushing out, which he also like to do.

Eloy Room - Pretty solid backup for Velthuizen. Also with 22yo he is rather young.

Sebastiaan van der Sman - Another backup goalie in the rank of Room, but his big Eccentricity is somehow worrying. He is on amateur contract and you can decide to get rid of him if you want.

Marko Meerits - Young Estonian goalie. Good in air. He is 19yo and should be loaned. Probably he will never make it to become 1st choice between the sticks.

Stan Berrevoets - Another young goalie. In my opinion better than Meerits. Should also be loaned and he might become a reserve choice for a goalkeeper in future. Anyway nothing spectacular.

Possible Trannsfers: - Velthuizen is pretty solid goalkeeper and with 24yo still young and he can develop in a really good goalkeeper. But, since his salary is at 13.500 EUR per week and due to fact that his eccentricity is pretty high it may be considered for a change. Since for the start of the game there is a few nice goalkeepers on a free, you may reconsider to sign someone of them, like: Simon Pouplin, Biel Ribas, Timo Hildebrand, Kevin Stuhr Ellegaard...

Central Defenders

Raio Piiroja - Nice central defender. Good in air, but pretty slow. Can be played in a role of a stopper. He is Estonian international player and his salary is at 4.500 EUR per week.

Frank van der Struijk - A captain. Can be played in a role of a right defender also, or like Limited central defender due the fact that he is not so good in the air.

Guram Kashia - Georgian central defender. Can also play in the role of right defender. Nothing spectacular, but also not so good in the air, and will be good ina a role of limited defender. Can be played as cover, because he is not slow.

Tomas Kalas - A young Czech defender, on loan from a Chelsea. Can be used as a backup, on central defender position, as well as right defender and defensive midfielder.

Nando Wormgoor - He will never become a good player. Get rid of him.

Possible Transfers: - Vitesse have pretty solid central defense, but they seems to be vulnerable in the air, so you can consider signing some better players in this area. Kara from Tromso will be ideal solution for Vitesse. Maybe also Diego Novaretti, or cheap Leandro Gioda. Also getting some free agent can be considered, like Ibrahim Gnanou, Matteo Ferrari, etc. Siyanda Xulu is also good and cheap solution there.

Side Defenders

Kevin van Diermen - Nice and young right defender. Can develop in really good player, but he will still lack crossing and dribbling.

Jeroen Drost - Left defender which is quite opposite than Diermen as he can cross a ball very well. So, he will be a good choice for attacking full or wing back.

Michihiro Yasuda - Versatile Japanese full/wing back. More attacking minded than Diermen and if you like to play with offensive wing backs a pair of Drost/Yasuda will make it for you. Also, as I said, he is very versatile, so he can also play as a left defender.

Alex Santos da Vitória - Young Brazilian right full/wing back. Nothing spectacular but can provide a depth to a squad.

Raynick Damasco - Another young right full back. On contrary to Alex, he is not so good in offence, but is much better in defence.

Anderson Santos da Vitória - Alex's twin brother. In contrast to Alex he plays as left full/wing back and is pretty similar to Alex.

Possible Transfers: - This area is pretty nice covered, but since you have money you can consider to sign Sime Vrsaljko, Ivan Bandalovski, Nika Kvekveskiri, Romario, Petar Zanev or maybe Carlos Diogo from free transfer.

Defensive midfielders

Anthony Annan - On Loan from Schalke. One of the best players at a club, but he is also at 29.000 EUR per week. Also the agreed price is set to 2M, so if you want, you can sign him easily. He is a great player, but his wage may even result in termination of loan.

Jan-Arie van der Heijden - Backup Defensive midfielder. Not even close to Annan, but will provide a depth to a squad.

Tom Beissel - Youngster. Should be loaned.

Mike Vreekamp - Nice promising youngster.

Possible Transfers: - I strongly recommends signing of Andile Jali and/or Adam Vass and terminating the loan of Annan since his wage is pretty big. Also if you get Kvekveskiri he can do a nice job as a cover. Also loanie Kalas, from Chelsea can step ap there, so van der Heijden can be sold.

Central and Attacking midfielders

Ulises Dávila - On loan from Chelsea. Nice young attacking midfielder, who can even play as a striker. You should rely on him.

Davy Pröpper - The most promising player in the squad and you should give him a lot of playing time as he will develop in a really good player.

Nick Hofs - A backup, but can also be adopted as a winger. Very versatile player.

Marco van Ginkel - A nice promising and young player. Should be backup for Dávila and Pröpper.

Hayri Pinarci - Another youngster. Should be loaned.

Possible Transfers: - We have there some nice youngsters, but since midfield is probably the most important area in the football getting some more experienced and better players is the most. Ruben Ytergard Janssen or Milan Badelj are there just to take them and they will make a great midfielder pair, not only for Vitesse but for much better teams. Teko Modise is also an option.

Wide midfielders, Wingers, Inside forwards

Alexander Büttner - A vice-captain. Plays as left midfielder but can also play as left defender if you need a great offensive weapon there. Very versatile player.

Giorgi Chanturia - Great Georgian youngster. Can play both, at left and righ side as a winger or inside forward. Really promising youngster.

Genaro Snijders - Young winger. Also can play on the both wings. Backup player.

Julian Jenner - A nice right winger. First choice for that position.

Renato Ibarra - A nice right winger/midfielder prospect. One of the best youngsters at a club.

Vako Kazaishvili - Another promising Georgian player. This time he plays as left winger.

Sander van de Streek - Really promising attacking midfielder/winger. Should be loaned.

Adnane Tighadouini - Promising left winger, but due to fact that there is a lot of promising power in these positions he might be replaced or loaned.

Possible Transfers: - Team maybe lacks some good left winger and you can look at Siphiwe Tshabalala or even maybe at Vaclav Kadlec if you like to play with inside forward with cut inside order. Promising youngsters are all over there and you shouldn't need to worry about the future.

Strikers

Wilfried - A well known player in terms of FM2012. Great physical stats, nice finishing, you just don't need better forward for now. Only worrying is that Wilfied is somehow injury prone, so bringing in some good backup is a must.

Marcus Pedersen - A nice backup player for Wilfried, or nice partner in attack (if you like to play with two strikers). Since Wilfried can be adopted to play as deep lying forward, Pedersen can play as Poacher and they will make good partnership there.

Gregory Viereck - Young backup striker. Will never be good enough.

Brahim Darri - 16yo... not good for a backup. Should play in reserves or in U19...

Possible Transfers: - Team have only two good strikers and you will need to bring some more there. Darwin Quintero could be the star of the team if you can get him. Anyway, you must bring some players there and since Vitesse have a lot of money to spend, maybe bringing Leandro from Gremio could be possible, or even Leandro Damiao!

Just started a season with Vitesse.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Nice guide and my first time managing in the Eredivisie.

I will also start a new save now with Vitesse. Will let you know how I'm going.

The first idea is to reshape the roster from the bottom and to bring in the whole new bunch of players. Will see how it will look in coming days :)

Also, I will buy some youngsters and will try to maximize his training and also to use warn/fine function after bad performances/dismissals to gain skills on determination, work rate and temperament. I hope that I will succeed in making a great team for big things in European Competitions.

Nice thread so far, mate :thup:

Vitesse look to be a good prospect for the coming years. With the financial muscle behind them, it may be easy to draw possible similarities to teams such as Paris Saint-Germain, Anzhi and Málaga but, Vitesse are a much different club and challenge. The affiliation with Chelsea may be valuable too. Interesting :thup:

Gone with Vitesse, partly due to the cash but also because its a league that has a dominant force ie Big 3.. plus sides like Twente, AZ, Heerenveen, Groningen etc who often pick up talen and in the case of the first 2, have actually won the title recently. Alongside that ive always been able to follow Dutch football on TV, including alot of live games thanks to ESPN.

Anyway a quick recap of my first season:

Transfers IN: Bas Dost €7.5m Heerenveen, Willie Overtoom €5m Heracles, Luciano Narsingh €20m Heerenveen, Oussama Assaidi €11.5m, Jeffrey Gouweleeuw €7.5m Heerenveen, Stefan de Vrij €10m Feyenoord

Spent a fair bit, totals €62m all on domestic based players. I tried to pillage FC Twente but none of them fancied a move.... anyway the league proved to be a bit of a coast. We started with 9 straight wins including 2-0 at PSV and 4-2 & 2-0 at home to Ajax and Feyenoord respectively.

We then drew at NEC 2-2 giving up a 2 goal lead in the last 10 minutes but managed to go a total of 16 games undefeated (15W 1D) before we fell apart at home to ADO Den Haag who romped us 3-0! We instantly got back on track by thumping PSV 6-1 at home to see us clear by 10pts going into the winter break.

The interesting note of the season was the Billionaire takeover of PSV by an Indian bloke who instantly gave Fred Rutten €135m to spend! PSV spent about €20m in January... so im expecting alot more from them in the summer and the challenge ahead. Anyway back to our campaign and a 1-1 in Amsterdam would be our only blip over the next 8 games before injuries and suspensions forced me to field a weakened team in Heerenveen... we lost 5-0! God knows where that came from. It mattered little though as a win at home to RKC in the following game clinched the title for us as PSV slipped up... Champions with 6 games left.

Im still finishing off the season, 4 games remain and with 95 goals scored atm im hoping to break 100 in the league. We also have the Cup final to look forward too... we had an easy run tbh and face Jupiler League minnows Almere City in the Final! It should be a great chance to clinch the double for us.

Nice thread.

And you have summarised all the cheap players on FM12. I doubt the reputation of the club though as most of these txr targets will go on to join EU gaints.

Spent a fair bit, totals €62m all on domestic based players. I tried to pillage FC Twente but none of them fancied a move.... anyway the league proved to be a bit of a coast. We started with 9 straight wins including 2-0 at PSV and 4-2 & 2-0 at home to Ajax and Feyenoord respectively.

How the hell did you manage to spend 62M in your first season?

Anyway, Vitesse has a great FM future! In my Ajax save, they signed Xabi Alonso, Mark van Bommel and Pedro Leon some seasons in! They never managed to challenge me, but financially they have surpassed me (they pay higher salaries and spend more on transfer than I do!). Some great possiblities there!

Nice guide, by the way.

i started a game after reading this.. so thanks. I finished 2nd after my first season, a good achievement i feel, qualified for the champions league qualifying rounds, so depending on who i get i have a chance of getting in the CL proper and earn some cash. My affiliation with Chelsea has helped so far this summer, i have de bruyne, kakuta and wait for it Courtois on loan great signing to have him in goal, not played a game with any of them since signing so will wait and see. Didnt offer a good enough contract to get Rene adler which was dissapointing. i've got the likes of Kara, Verratti, Wellington Nem, Piscu, assaidi and some toloi, romario, dodo along with some other good players.

How the hell did you manage to spend 62M in your first season?

Anyway, Vitesse has a great FM future! In my Ajax save, they signed Xabi Alonso, Mark van Bommel and Pedro Leon some seasons in! They never managed to challenge me, but financially they have surpassed me (they pay higher salaries and spend more on transfer than I do!). Some great possiblities there!

Nice guide, by the way.

Spending any money you don´t officially have is quite easy. Just buy and pay with monthly installments. IIRC it takes the money from future transfer budgets so those will be lower.

Spending any money you don´t officially have is quite easy. Just buy and pay with monthly installments. IIRC it takes the money from future transfer budgets so those will be lower.

Oh, did not know. Thanks. I only buy players for a one time fee with no clauses included. Tidy business.

I won the league and cup in my second season, great save so far, loving it just need to build my reputation to get better players to compete in the champions league in the future seasons.

Just started a game with Vitesse, great thread and great write up of the squad.

Just got back into my Vitesse save after a couple of weeks in Dubai.

Looking to win my 5th straight title (to become the first Dutch team to do so)... won 3 Cups in 4 years as well.

Europe is the big challenge, we just dont make an impact other than making the Quarter Finals once and the last 16 of the Champions League once in my 3 attempts so far. This year could be better as we started the group stage by beating Real Madrid.

Just taken over at Vitesse at the start of 2012/13. Haven't managed in Holland for ages. Years, in fact. Beat FC Twente 5-1 in my first competitive match. Took me totally by surprise to win like that! Despite the financial resources, I have mainly raided the neighbouring Belgian league for bargains! Let's see how it goes!

Started a Vitesse save after seeing this thread. Interesting story and I always like a challenge.

Started off by sorting my staff out. Released all my youth coaches and installed a crack youth coach team of Geert Meijer, Wim Kwakman, Wim Jonk and Fred Grim from Ajax. I added Jan-Willem van Ede as a GK coach, Markus Zidek as a Fitness coach and Hans Dieter Hermann, Gaard Xhofleer, Jos van Dijk and Hans Jorritsma as my coaching squad.

I also asked the board from improved Junior Coaching, Improved Youth facilities and A parent club. They granted all three and I now have links with Juventus!

Looking at the squad, I sent 4 onloan to AGOVV (van de Streek, Meerits, van Ginkel & van der Heijden) and let Drost and Yasuda go out on loan for fees while van der Struijk was sold for 375k.

I wanted some experience in my squad so in came Arnar Vidarsson (33, 350k), Mario Melchiot (34, Free), Birger Maertens (31, Free), & Ivan Leko (33, 1m). I added Luigi Bruins (Free), Anthony Venden Borre (375K), Alain Rochat (1.3m), Jelle Jossen (1.8m) & Ahmed Soukouna (Free).

I'm looking forward to this save!

I'm doing disappointingly average. Started off with a solid win at home vs Utrecht (3-1) before a loss away to Heracles (0-2) and a emphatic 4-1 victory at home to Feyenoord put me in a good position before a slip. We drew with Heerenveen (1-1), lost to Ajax (0-2) and Den Haag (2-4). We then won our Dutch Cup game 3-0 vs SC Joure and off the back of that beat Twente 3-1 away from home. After that we drew with PSV and RKC (both 0-0). So after 9 game we sit 10th with 12 points, 11 off Ajax who are top on 23.

Goals have come from everywhere, we've had 11 different goal scorers this season in the 9 games. Wilfried, Vossen, Jenner and Hofs all have 2, the rest on 1. Our run of games is good from now until the turn of the year and I'll be very disappointed not to be in the top 5 at the turn of the year.

I've started a Vitesse game, the first game I've ever played that involved a sugerdaddy. For the first season, I've told the board I'd be battling for direct Euro Cup qualification, while my personal goals is trying to achieve CL qualification (meaning first or second place). So far, things have been going well, except for many (long-term) injuries, almost all of them occurring in matches, suggesting bad luck (all my training schedules are at medium). I have been kicked out from the Dutch Cup by Heerenveen in the 4th round, and second in the league with 38 points from 19 games. Heerenveen is leading the table with 41 from 20 and I'm being trailed by Ajax (19-36), AZ (19-35) and Groningen (19-34). The nr 6 till 11 are relatively close at well, being only 5 points apart.

Like Vitesse in real-life, I'm making some thorough changes to the team. I've spent 18,5m on 10 players for far:

• Yaya Soumahoro: Good buy but got injured for months, had 3 goals and 1 assists in 5 games as a AML. At 1m this could be a steal, hopefully he won't be injured all the time.
  • Leonel Galeano
  • Marco Verratti
  • Rafael Toloi
  • Vanden Borre, ideal multi-purpose (backup) player
  • Kara
  • Stefan Reisinger on loan, cancelled in January since Reis has returned from injury. Only played 2 games
  • Areola. Got him with the aim of loaning him out for 2-3 seasons, but so far I'm having trouble finding a team that sees him as a 1st team candidate
  • Romario, turning him into a DL to replace van Aanholt at the end of the season
  • Guido Pizzarro: At only 950k this seems a steal, being at the 12-15 range for most box-to-box stats, plus he's able to play as a deep-lying playmaker in case Verratti is injured

There haven't been many transfers going out, except for van der Struijk for 425k and a lot of loans including Drost, van Diermen, van Ginkel, Room and van der Heijden. Except for van Ginkel I'm going to try and ditch most of those players plus Alex and Anderson. Other candidates to leave are Havenaar, Pedersen, Jenner and Piroja (both leaving on a free) and perhaps Yasuda. At the end of the season there's two more incoming transfers, namely Carlos Fierro for 5m and Ait Fana on a free. Really excited by both of them. Playing a 4-2-3-1 or a 4-5-1 (both with wingers), having Chanturia, Buttner, Hofs, Ibarra and Soumahoro on the wings and Bony, Fierro and Reis up front I should be able to challenge for the title. Hopefully I can keep Bony around, he's already complaining about me turning down an offer of 7,25m from Napoli.

Been playing with Vitesse for a while. My best tac so far is 4-3-2-1. Completed transfers that makes a difference: Abdel El Kaoutari (WBL), Serginho Greene (MC), Marcin Wasilwewski (DC), Tal Ben-Haim (WBR), Tobias Hysén (OMV/A).

Currently second place in Eredivise with 10 games to go.

Keep the thread alive :)