Tomtuck's First FM Career Adventure

tomtuck01

April 2020 Continued

Champions League - Quarter Final 1st And 2nd Leg

clfixturesapr2020.png

After two incredibly close games wer were eliminated from the Champions League 2-1 on aggregate.

The home leg was all us, but after taking the lead early we conceded from a stunning free kick to make the game 1-1. An away goal conceded would make the second leg tougher, and indeed it proved to be. We did also miss Jasn Malpass, injured againt Everton after the first leg, but that is no excue with the firepower we have. We had enough of the game, but didn't create enough, and when Lionel Messi scored with just 25 minutes to go, that was us done.

Next season we must do better.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Great in the league but tough in the CL. Too bad you weren't able to take advantage of your dominance at home. Hate it when that happens.

It's just ne of thoe things I suppose. Next year we'll be back again!

Comfortable path to the title.

Indeed it should be. I am slightly concerned though as we've been a bit poor infront of goal recently.

Chance of a domestic treble there. Good luck :thup:.

For a second season in a row. ;)

200px-Manchester_City.svg.png

Thomas Lewis' Career - 2019/20 - Manchester City

FA Cup Final

How We Got To The Final

facruntothefinal2020.png

Some solid if not spectacular performances along the way. The semi final against United was an epic encounter, and probably one of the best games I've been involved in on Football Manager. Captain marvel Vincent Kompany won it in extra time.

The Final

vs.Chelsea

facfinal2020.png

We weren't remotely at our best, but we got our hands on the trophy for a second season in a row, and for also for a second season in a row completed a domestic treble. Jason Malpass was only fit enough for the bench, and he came on late on for a cameo appearance, but by then the job was done. They may have had more attemps, but most of them were from long range, whereas we created chances narer their goal, and took two of them, with old reliable Sergio Aguero notching just before the break, and Neymar just after to give us a 2-0 win.

Surely we can't do the domestic treble for the third season in a row next term?

Thomas Lewis' Career - May 2020 - Manchester City

Premier League

plfixturesmay2020.png

pltablemay2020andfinalt.png

Well we wrapped up the title with ease, beating Hull 3-0 and Leicester 2-0 to ensure the trophy was ours. The season ended rather boringly, with a drab 0-0 draw at Villa, though I reckon we still ha a hangover after the FA Cup win!

FA Cup - Final

facfixturesmay2020.png

A second FA Cup vicotry in a row, and a second domestic treble in a row completed. The win was comfortable enough, though we should be performing better than what we did. We merely too our chance when the came.

After our excellent season, the boys lifted an array of individual awards this term;

footballwriterspoty2019.png

Great for him to win this - the £70million fee is looking like money well spent.

pfapoty201920.png

Delighted for Aguero to be honest. He was in and out of the side at times, and was switched between AML, AMR, and STC, but performed well wherever he was asked to play.

pfaypoty201920.png

Superb debut season from the young Argentinian. He's not long since turned 24 and years ahead of him.

hartgoldenglove201920.png

A second Golden Glove in a row for Joe Hart. He was immense, and a masive reason as to why we had such an excellent defenive record once again.

Congrats on a excellent season with City :D

Thanks alot dude. :thup:

In a way I'm kind of glad we didn't do better and win the European Cup - if we had have done I would have very little, apart from the pleasure of managing Jason Malpass, to stay for.

Shame for the CL, the rest was good though.

Well it as our first time in Europe since I've been in charge, and in fairness we played really well againt Barcelona.

Truly dominated domestically!, expecting to bring in many players to help you win the CL?

Not really, I think we're already there or there abouts. Of courrse it may change if one or two depart.

Be really rubbish and somehow you'll squeak through. Worked for Chelsea.

Haha perhaps I'll have to look into that!

Thomas Lewis' Career - Season Review 2019/20 - Manchester City

Premier League

Results 1 - Results 2 - Final Table (Champions)

Another terrific league campaign in which we lost just two games all season, neither of which came in the second half of the campaign. True we did draw more games in the second half of the season, as we only won twelve of our nineteen fixtures. We again had an amazing defenive record, which was even two better than last term. However we scored one goal less.

That now makes it two titles in a row, the first time Manchester City have won back-to-back titles in their history.

FA Cup

Winners

For the second season in a row the FA Cup represented the third part of our dometic treble. We weren't spectacular throughout the competition until the semi final stage, where we played won a thrilling tie against our Manchester rivals in extra time. We took the trophy with a very solid 2-0 win over Chelsea.

The trophy was also my seventh in just two seasons with City.

League Cup

Winners

Always an important competition, this was the sixth League Cup win of my career. As with last season I dn't just play the kids in this tournament, just rotate the first team squad a bit. We negotiated the early rounds fairly easily before two cracking semi final matches against Arsenal. West Ham were our opponents in the final, and we ran out comfortable 3-0 winners.

Could we make it a hattrick of League Cups next term?

Champions League

Eliminated in the Quarter Finals

Well we made a decent fist of things really in what was the clubs first Champions League season since the 2017/18 campaign. The group stage was relatively comfortable, as we topped ith with fourteen points from our six games. We played very well in the 1st knockout round, and despite losing in the first leg we roared back in the second with a thumping 3-0 victory. Against Barcelona in the quarter finals we played out two very tight games, and things may have gone differently had Jason Malpass not lost the ecnd leg through injury.

Barcelona went on to win the competition, knocking out Arsenal in the semi finals and then hammering Juventus 3-0 in the final.

Other Info

Squad - Transfers - Finances

Some top drawer performances from alot of players throughout the campaign. Malpass was excellent in his first season, as were other new signings Douglas and Mauro Vasquez. Some of the older boys aswell showed excellent quality and consistentcy, most notably Gael Clichy and Vincent Kompany. Lucas Moura had a good season aswell, which would have been better had he not picked up an injury at the start of April ruling him out for the rest of the campaign.

Alot of transfer activity took place again before the season and during the January window. Although we spent £126million, it must be remembered that £70million of that went on just one player. We again brought in a good amount from player sales, aswell as getting some hefty wages off the budget. This summer will mostly see investment in younger players.

Financially we have performed better than last season when we made a loss of £20million, as this term we made a profit of £10million. I regret to say though that we again relied heavily on the chairman ploughing in extra investment. Most of our outlay was down to transfers and our huge wage budget, which I will be making an effort to cut this summer. With another season to come in the Champions League our finances should improve further over the course of next season, and I aim to bring down the amount of cash injections needed from the chairman.

Top 3 Players

Jason Malpass

An excellent debut season from the £70million man. It would have been even better had he not missed seven games due to injury towards the end of the season. Aswell the goals, I was delighted with the amount of assists he provided. Great stuff.

Vincent Kompany

Even at the age of 34 he is still vitally important to us. The amount of games he played for someone his age was simply amazing, and he'll definitely be around next term to hopefully lead us to further glory.

Mauro Vasquez

A cracking opening season at the club for the young Argentine, who formed a great midfield pairing with fellow Argentinian Nestor Schmidt. He won the PFA Young Player Of The Year award, as he contributed five goals and even assists in his 28 league appearances. Overall he managed seven goals and 14 assists from 43 appearances, and there's more to come.

What Next

I'll maybe look to add a player or two over the summer as we aim for Champions League glory next season. Aside from that I'll be looking to sign up more young players, and hopefully cut the wage bill with a few departures.

Thomas Lewis' Career - Season Preview - 2020/21 - Manchester City

Board Expectations

Premier Legaue: Win it

FA Cup: Win it

League Cup: Not important

Champions League: Reach the semi-final stage

Community Shield: Not important

Personal Expectations

Premier League: A hat-trick of championships in the offing, we have to win it

FA Cup: I'd like to win it again, but it's not as important to me this term

League Cup: As much as I'd love to win another, it's time to blood some youngsters

Champions League: Reach the final atleast

Community Shield: It's a trophy and againt last seasons league runners up Arsenal - time to put them in their place

Budgets

Transfer: £91,247,356

Wages: £3,980,144 (Currently spending £2,250,808)

Balance: £29,181,018 (Up £8,733,242 from last year)

So the board have given me identical expectations to last seasom, though mine differ somewhat. The Champions League is a big aim for me this term. Last eason we should have done better in it really, and I aim to put that right this season.

As always the league is the priority domestically, but the cups will take a bit of a tep back this term as I aim for Champions League improvement.

Financially wise, I wouldn't really pay attention to our balance at the minute as that is likely to change, (either for better or wose), when we start getting involved in the transfer market. However, I am pleased that we have managed to improve our balance in the past year.

Yet another stunning season. Don't you get bored with winning everything? This a seriously good career you have going here, aim for the sweep - CL and domestic treble, I don't think its beyond you by any stretch. Then add the club world cup the next year.

Finances will also be helps once your expansion is completed. What is the capacity now?

It'll be bang on 60,000 when it is completed in November. We sold out every game in the Premier League and four out of five Champions League games last term, so hopefully it will be more of the same once the expansion is complete.

Yet another stunning season. Don't you get bored with winning everything? This a seriously good career you have going here, aim for the sweep - CL and domestic treble, I don't think its beyond you by any stretch. Then add the club world cup the next year.

Do I get of winning everything? Well no, because I don't win everything, atleast not quite.

Also look at it more closely, it is tough - it's not like I'm winning 5-0 every game and scoring 150+ goals a season. Infact the most I've scored in the Premier League season is 91. In the two title winning seasons with Swansea we scored just 65 and 73 goals respectively, so it's not like I'm dominating teams to a stupid extent.

For now I have one year left on my contract and have rejected an extension. I don't know where I'm heading from here.

Thomas Lewis' Career - Preseason - 2020/21 - Manchester City

Transfers

transferssumer2020.png

A further six reserve/youth players were released, but I cut them off the screenie.

Ok I did what I said I wouldn't do and went mad with my spending again. In all fairness a few established players left the club over the summer, such as Sergio Aguero, Dmytro Chygrynskyi, Salvatore Bocchetti, Gael Clichy, and Joe Allen. The first four were all old because of their ages really - Aguero was the ounget and even her turned 32 over the summer. Joe Allen was entering the last year of his contract and wanted a big wage rise that I wasn't prepared to offer.

I also sold Gerard Deulofeu after he spent far too mcuh time out injured for a guy who was on £150,000 per week. The fee we got represented a profit for us of £14million in just one season at the club.

All this means that the squad has almost been completely regenertaed from when I took over.

Anthony Burdett

With two hugely experienced center backs leaving the club over the summer and another who was on loan retiring and joining the coaching staff, (Christopher Samba), new central defenders were needed. He is excellent phyically, good mentaly, and solid enough technically. Hi passing is poorer than I'd want, but I can work around that.

Lizandro Perez

With Gael Clichy leaving, Yoann Le Moal has gone back to been my back-up left back. Perez is fairly young and has been brought in initially as understudy to Kyle Walker.

Pelle Pedersen

At just 17 years old he looks very good. He has 3 and a half star potential so has bags of time to improve. The fee was a bit steep, but I suppose he was coming from a huge club.

Rober Almeida dos Santos

Yes I paid an awful lot of money for him, but he is only 21 so I'm investing in potential as much as anything. Alot of the fee is to be paid over 48months.

Laurent Koffi

Last seaons loanee was signed up permantently. I managed to get the fee down to £10million - half of the fee that was agreed at the time of the loan. He's just 18 and has 4* potential. What a player he could turn out to be.

James Hopkins

Another young man with great potential so an investment for the future. He has been sent to Swindon for this term to gain some first team experience.

Andrey Ovchinnikov

This man looks unreal. He's 24 so very much for now, and for £35million I expect him to deliver. The fee is being paid over the course of 48months.

Vitaly Kuznetsov

Mentally and physically he needs a bit of work, but technically he looks great. He has 3* potential and only has 1* so far, so has alot of room to improve.

Kristian Challinor

A solid player, he'll most likely form a partnership with Burdett in the long term. He has joined fairly late in the summer so hasn't been able to play with Burdett in any preseason games, so the partnership won't be blooded immediately.

Giorgio Chiellini

He may be 36 and cost me a loan fee of £650,000 and wages of £63,00p/w, but he still looks like he has slot to offer. He won't be an automatic starter of course, but he will be one of my four first choice central defenders. He can also cover at left back if needs be.

Despite the heavy spending again over the summer, the wage bill has been cut by nearly £250,000 p/w compared to the sum given in post number 1073. All in all a good summer then when you also consider that I again made around half that I paid out back in player sales.

squadaugut2020.png

The squad has alot of players under the age of 25 now, a stark contrat to when I took over the club and there were hardly any under the the age of 30! There are also some great player in the rerves and youth team, so the present and future is looking rosie!

Preseason 2020/21 Continued

Preseason Friendlies

preseason202021.png

Not the toughest set of friendlies, but some good performances from the boys. I was impresed to be honest as we were missing the French boys and Lucas Moura to the Olympics, so a fair amount of first teamers were absent. The strikers were looking good and are set to hit the ground running once the season gets underway.

Community Shield

commshieldaug2020.png

An excellent work out for the team. As expected it was a tough game, though we probably should have won without the need for penalties because of the chances we created. Still, we started the seaon as we want to go on - with a trophy in the cabinet.

So time to get on with season now. Our opening fixture? Just a trip to Old Trafford for the Mancheter derby.

Thomas Lewis' Career - August 2020 - Manchester City

Premier League

plfixturesaug2020.png

pltableaug2020.png

A very good start to the season, with seven points from three games, and three cleansheets. We opened up with the Manchester derby, and in a game that was a real battle both teams earned a solid point. After that we routed Birmingham at home, before we won 3-0 away at Southampton after a couple of early own goals helped us on our way.

Next up after an international break is home game against West Ham.

Champions League Group Stage Draw

After getting into the quarter finals last term we retained our spot amongst the top seeds for this seasons Champions League draw. This season we have been dran in Group C;

champsleague2020drawgro.png

I'd personally have us down to top that group, with only PSG posing us any major problems. I'm quite surprised to see PSG amongst the second seeds, conidering they won the tournament back in 2019.

Here are the rest of the groups;

clgroups2020.png

Group F stands out, ith to recent winners in Juventus and Marseille, aswell as two other clubs who have made the group stage for the last few years.

PSG are usually among the top in Ligue 1, but should still be no match for your City :)

Well as I say I expect a tough couple of games against them. They have won Ligue 1 twice in the last four years, and have been Champions League competitors in each of the last six seasons, winning it once. They are a decent outfit.

Thomas Lewis' Career - September 2020 - Manchester City

Premier League

plfixturessep2020.png

pltablesep2020.png

We may nothave faced the toughet of opponents this month, but whoever you are against three wins out of three, with seven goals scored and none conceded is still an excellent showing. Having said that, it is clear that we haven't quite hit top gear yet, though it seems to be coming. Malpass scored in all three games, and the football was improving. Lets hope next month brings even more progress.

Our next league fixture is a trip to Stamford Bridge.

League Cup - 3rd Round

lcfixturessep2020.png

The team was changed around a bit, with some experienced squad and youth players coming into the line up, and youngster Brian Sinclair notched a goal on his debut. He was my second signing as City manager - a £1.7million signing from Hearts. Now he is 17 and looking very promising indeed!

Next up in the 4th round is Watford at the Etihad.

September 2020 Continued

Champions League

clfixturessep2020.png

cltablesep2020.png

A tremendous start to our Champions League campaign. What on paper looked like our toughest away game proved to be that, but we still came away from the French capital with a victory. We then ripped Bosnian side Zeljeznicar to pieces to give us two wins from two games, witj no goals conceded and five scored.

Rangers come to the Etihad in our next group game.

A brilliant month there. 100% and no goals conceded :applause:.

Cheers dude.

I'm very proud of how we're defeding at the minute to be honest. I was a bit concerned at how it would go with having two new centre backs in the side, but Challinor and Burdett have started life excellently together.

Archived