Tomtuck's First FM Career Adventure

tomtuck01

160px-England_crest_2009.svg.png

Thomas Lewis Career - May/June 2018 - England

2018 World Cup Warm-up Games

2018wcwarmupcostarica.png

An excellent performance, with the exception of our finishing. The only downside to come from the game was a knock picked up by Jason Malpass, ruling him out for 12-14 days. He will be in a race against time to get fit for our opening group game against France.

2018wcwarmupcroatia.png

Another good performace, this time against much better opposition. Wayne Rooney, now 31, continues to show his importance the the team. Jack Wilshere's injury is nothing to worry about, he will only be out for five days.

All our friendlies played, the World Cup is just around the corner!

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
good squad there tom.good luck with city too.

Cheers buddy! :thup:

Just read through this thread, wow. What a manager you are, keep it up and good luck with the World Cup and Man City.

Thanks alot. Always nice to have more people following the thread. :)

do you have any goals for this save tom?:)

The goals are set on the first page;

Aims And Ambitions

I don't really have any aims in my save, except that I want to have a fun save.

I have never in my history on Football Manager had a long career save, (I have had long saves, but always with just one club), so I really just want to have an enjoyable save, maybe jumping from club to club, and bettering my own position. Over the years on FM I feel I have developed my skills, and hope that I could be relatively successful no matter what country or league I play in.

If not, then it could be an even more enjyable in a slightly perverse way!

I hope that you, (if there are any of you), enjoy following my journey.

200px-Manchester_City.svg.png

Thomas Lewis' Career - New Club - Manchester City F.C

Name: Manchester City F.C

Nickname: The Citizens

Year Founded: 1887

Stadium: The Etihad Stadium (47,405)

cityabackgroundjune2018.png

An offer I simply couldn't say no to. Despite heavy investment, the club hasn't won much in the last seven years since Roberto Mancini guided them to the 2011 FA Cup victory over Stoke. A Europa League title has been the highlight, and even that was back in 2014! So my job is pretty simple; bring success to the club. In the coming season the club isn't in Europe after a sixth placed finish last season, so I want to deliver a domestic trophy and get the club into the Champions League.

Finances And Squad

financesjune2018.png

The finances are in a good state, but I'm sure that will change once I get stucj into the transfer market. A lack of Champions League football in the coming season will see them take a hit aswell. Maybe I can't g too over the top with my spending after all?

citysquadwhentakingjobj.png

A mass reshaping of this squad is needed. There are too many older players, and also alot of players who have grown stale after spending so long at the club. The huge transfer budget will come in handy!

A season preview with board and personal expectations will follow after the World Cup.

Im sceptical, but I am sure you will bring success to them.

It will probably be in the short term now I've had time to think about it, for the simple reason that I fancy trying my hand abroard at some point.

So far in my career I have managed exclusively in England, with the exception of those few month in South Korea at the start of my career.

160px-England_crest_2009.svg.png

Thomas Lewis' Career - England

World Cup 2018

Group Stage

wcenggroupfixtures2018.png

Game 1 - Game 2 - Game 3

wcenggrouptable2018.png

We got better as the group stages progressed. Against the French I was quite disappointed. We may have won, but they were all ver us and easily deserved smething from the game. However, we took our chances when they came and got off to a very good start.

After that we ha two pretty comfortable wins ver the USA and Egypt. The Egypt game saw the emergence of something special that was to come in the rest of the tournament.

Other Group Standings

worldcupallothergroups.png

Group G runners up Mexico, the side we beat in the 2017 Confederations Cup Final, would be our opponents in the second round.

World Cup 2018 Continued

Second Round

wc2ndround2018.png

Not a great performance from us, but we came through to get the victory thanks to a double from Jason Malpass. As with the Confederations Cup final last season, the Meixcans were outstanding, but we took our chances when they came to run out 2-1 win.

Quarter Finals

wcqtrfinals2018.png

England can win penalty shoot outs! How we didn't win efore it got to penalties is beyond me. We had the majority of the possession, and created many more chances, but simply couldn't score and the game finished 0-0 after extra time. In the shoot out our penalties were excellent, and we got the semi-final spot we thoroughly deserved.

Semi Finals

wcsemifinals2018.png

Against the current world champions we were simply amazing. Ok we conceded more possession than we often do, and indeed they had more attempts - but our finishing was clinical. Jason Malpass smashed in a couple more goals to take his tally for the tournament to seven. But Danny Welbeck, who only came on for the injured Rooney, stole the show with a stunning hattrick as we routed the Colombians 5-1.

The injury to Rooney was a major concern though. News of his condition was a blow - he would miss the World Cup final.

Third Place Playoff

wc3rdplace2018.png

In a game that went this way and that, the 2014 World Cup winners managed to claw back a bit of respect that they lost against us in the semi final, by finishing in third place.

World Cup 2018 Continued

Final

vs.Portugal

With Wayne Rooney missing through injury, Jason Malpass moved upfront, and Danny Welbeck came into the starting XI slotting in on the right hand side of the front three/

Staring XI

Hart

Walker Smalling Jones© Naughton

Britton

Wilshere Cleverley

Welbeck Malpass Sinclair

wcportugal2018.png

What a stunning way to win the World Cup! Trailing 2-0 early on, the temptation was to change something. I kept it as it was and just asked them to keep hold of the ball. At half time it was still 2-0, but we had started to create. I was calm, but still give them a bit of a bollocking, and my how it worked.

Malpass may have struck all four goals, but midfield man Tom Cleverley stepped up, setting up two. Jack Wilshere and Scott Sinclair got the other assists, as we completed the greatest comeback in World Cup final history!

wcmalpassgoldenboot2018.png

Wasn't really any doubt about that!!

wcmalpassgoldenball2018.png

The same as above really. To bang in eleven goals in seven games is unreal, so it's hardly surprising he was player of the tournament!

wcdreamteam2018.png

If you are wondering why Malpass isn't upfront in the team of the tournament, it is because aside from the final, he didn't play upfront!

englandresignationjuly2.png

Thomas Lewis statement;

I have thoroughly enjoyed my time as England national team manager over the last couple of years. It goes without saying that winning the World Cup is the greatest achievement of my career, and no matter what I do in the rest of my career it will never compare to the amazing feeling of leading my country to World Cup glory.

However, in the past year since I took the job full time I have missed the day to day involvement of club management. And having recently being appointed as the new Manchester City manager, I feel it is right that I step down as England manager so I can give Manchester City 100%.

I wish the new manager every success, and hope that the players work as hard for him as they have for me.

They think it's all over. It is now.

englandstaffleavejuly20.png

Nigel Gibbs has followed me to Manchester City and he will again be my assistant manager. Dennis Lawrence has also joined the coaching staff at the Etihad Stadium.

Thomas Lewis' Career - Season Preview - 2018/19 - Manchester City

Board Expectations

Premier Legaue: Qualify for Champions League

FA Cup: Win it

League Cup: Not important

Personal Expectations

Premier League: Title challenge

FA Cup: I'll be happy with a semi final spot

League Cup: Lift the trophy

Budgets

Transfer: £115,973,303

Wages: £3,491,896 (Currently spending £1,884,822)

Balance: £72,421,949

A brilliant transfer budget, which is needed as the squad needs a lot of work doing to it. Merely finishing in the top four is not an option to me, and I would like to pick up a domestic trophy this campaign while in our transitional period.

An update of the squad will be posted at the end of the transfer window, along with news of our new arrivals and departures.

Clubs are taking advantage of your mega-rich owners!!! Bet if it was a different club they wouldnt we wanting the money they are off you.

Who replaced Benitez at Swansea?

Clubs are taking advantage of your mega-rich owners!!! Bet if it was a different club they wouldnt we wanting the money they are off you.

Who replaced Benitez at Swansea?

Roberto Mancini! :D

I've already managed to take three payers off him and four members of staff! Five if you count Angel Rangel who retired from playing and immediately joined me as a coach. :cool:

Roberto Mancini! :D

I've already managed to take three payers off him and four members of staff! Five if you count Angel Rangel who retired from playing and immediately joined me as a coach. :cool:

Haha. Angel Rangel :cool:.

Tom, just read through all 9 pages of this, incredible stuff! You seem to just naturally encourage success at whichever club you go to! Would like to see you leave England soon though & try your way in a big foreign league ;)

Thanks. And don't worry, after City i plan to head abroard for a different kind of challenge.

christ what a budget :o

I have been very fortunate!

Congrats on the World Cup. Now the job of rebuilding City. Think it will take a season or two given the age of the squad and fees wanted by clubs for their players, but all the best.

Cheers.

The rebuilding at City hasn't been as tough as i imagined. The defenders, despite their ages, are still in great condition so i haven't had to spend there. The only area that did need a fair bit of work was the midfield - that has been given a facelift. Upfront i have signed just one player, who has arrived for a British transfer record. At the age of 26 he is in his prime and along with Aguero and Cavani he can lead us to glory.

I actually think we could win the title this season now.

Huge congrats on that season - in all my (many) years of playing CM and FM the quadruple has always eluded me - always slipped up in one of the four!

Well done!

Thanks. I think it was the first time i had ever managed it myself.

That's a great world cup win! It must feel amazing that Malpass scored 4 in the final, nothing better than when of your old players does that. :D

It was, but i do wish a bit that Scott Sinclair and Danny Welbeck had got on the scoresheet aswell. Having a Swansea front three all score in the final would have been brilliant!

Leon Britton, World Cup Winner :lol:.

At the age of 35!

Thomas Lewis' Career - Preseason - 2018/19 - Manchester City

Transfers

transferssummer2018.png

A very busy transfer window, with us spending very heavily to reshape the squad. In my defence I did make almost half the amount we spent back in players sales, and in the process got some very high earners off the books. For example, Andriy Pyatov may have left on a free, (with a £1.6million pay off), but he was on £93,000 p/w, which would have equated to nearly £5million over the course of a year.

Also some transfers were arranged before I joined the club; Samir Nasri and Carlos Kameni's moves were already agreed, and Javier Mascherano had already decided to leave the club.

I would have maybe like to have kept him, because although he is nw 34, he is still in a great condition.

Maximiliano Garuti

Looks an excellent young goalkeeper, and under the guidance of Joe Hart I'm sure he can improve further yet.

Brian Sinclair

Looks very good for just 15 years old. He has four star potential so I have high hope for him.

Nestor Schmidt

The may who did so well for me at Swansea comes for a hefty price tag, but he really does look like he can be a real creative force for us. £20million of the fee is to be paid over 48 months.

Neymar

New British transfer record, eclipsing the £44million City spent on Edison Cavani a couple of years ago. There is pressure on him, but I'm sure he will deliver. £24million of his fee is to be paid over 48 months.

Joe Allen

A snip for £2.5million. Hopefully he can do the same job he did for me at Swansea - sit infront of the back four making interceltions and sweeping things up.

Josh McEachran

As with Allen, he's a real snip at £2.5million. He will be a squad player, but I have no doubts about his ability to step in and perform when needed.

Mehdi Lagache

An excellent looking player for the future. He comes with big wages for one so young, but I'm sure he will be worth it, now and in the future.

Lucas Moura

The third of my big money signings. He could give us a real spark going forward, joining up with Aguero, Cavani, and Neymar to basically give us a front four.

Tobias Probst

Another good young prospect, he looks like he could be equally adept in both midfield and defense. Some good tutoring is needed though.

Asier Riesgo

Brought in to be third choice goalkeeper.

Renewed Squad List

renewesquadlistaug2018.png

As you can see we have alot more players in their twenties compard to when I took over. Aside from the defenders, the majority of the players are now younger than thirty, and there is a lot mre balance to it in terms of youth and experience. I will be happy to post any screenshots of regens you want to see.

Preseason Fixtures

preseasonsummer2018.png

Three morale boosting results, with my strikers getting goals, and the new signings blending nicely into the team. The big kickoff at home to Bolton looms.

Spending 139M in the transfer window, hey why not?!

Let's hope it doesn't take long for the squad to blend, sometimes that can be dis

astrous.

In my defence a sizeable chunk of that outlay came back into the club via player sales.

And so far in my first three games blending them altogether hasn't been a problem, thankfully!

Quite a shame you couldn't get Malpass to come across, but still some fantastic signings, hopefully you have a good season, so long as you don't thrash Swansea when you play them :lol:

I gave up the chase when they rejected £82million straight cash. For that, they will pay!!

£82mil?! had it been accepted would you have gone through with the deal?

Yes, because that was very early in the transfer window. Neymar and Lucas Moura were the back-up plan(s). Had Malpass joined then I wouldn't have signed either of those two, and wuld have probably tried to shift another player.

Whats your starting eleven for ManC? Kompany. :cool: Captain I presume.

Kompany is still of course my captain. :thup:

And my staring XI so far has been as follows;

Hart

Walker Kompany© Bocchetti Clichy

McEachran Allen Nestor

Cavani Aguero Neymar

Thomas Lewis' Career - August 2018 - Manchester City

Premier League

plfixturesaug2018.png

pltableaug2018.png

A good start to life as Manchester City manager. We totally controlled both games and thoroughl desered the results we got. In truth the attacking players haven't all fully blended yet, but things are looking good early on.

League Cup - 2nd Round

lcfixturesaug2018.png

A good win for us. Not that we shouldn't be beating Championship sides, but I did switch things around a bit, so it was nice that those who came into the side put in good performances.

suprised you went easy mode with accepting the City job. But as we know money talks lol. Brilliant with Swansea though. Nice to see a Welsh side kick some ass

I was unemployed at the time, apart from been in charge of England, who I had alread decided to leave.

At the end of the day what was I meant to do? No other big jobs had come up at the time, and I could hardly just sit and wait to see what happened with other managers, etc, after the World Cup and let the opporutnity pass me by.

Archived