Tomtuck's First FM Career Adventure

tomtuck01

220px-Manchester_United_FC_crest.svg.png

Thomas Lewis' Career - 2022/23 - Manchester United

League Cup Final

How We Got To The Final

lcruntothefinal202223.png

Some very good performances in our run to the final, probably most notably against Swansea. Away to Arenal we aswell we put in a very good shift to draw 0-0, before performing very well in the second leg at home. All of these performances set up a clash with my former club, and city rivals, Manchester City in the final.

The Final

vs.Manchester City

lcfinalvsmancity2023.png

Yesssss! My first trophy with United made all the sweeter by the fact it was against my former club and biggest rivals! It is also United's first trophy since 2015.

The games its self was very good, despite the 0-0 scoreline. We shaded possession, yet they had more attempts at goal, although alot of them were from outside the box. In the end the sides couldn't be seperated after 120 minutes of football, so it came down to penalties. Both sides had chances to win earlier in the shootout, but in the end it came down to the goalkeepers. David de Gea scored, and then saved from City's goalkeeper, and the trophy was ours.

Funnily enough, all but one of City's takers I had brought to the club. The exception was Rodrigo Robles, who turned us down to join City in January!

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thomas Lewis' Career - February 2023 - Manchester United

Premier League

plfixturesfeb2023.png

pltablefeb2023.png

Just two fixtures this month because of our invlovement in various cup matches, but two excellent performances. The Wigan result looks fairly routine, but after just 23mins we were down to 10 men after David de Gea was sent off for handling outside the box. By halftime we trailed 1-0, bbut roared back to win 3-1. And then against Everton our two tallisman did it again, both scoring a brace in a 4-0 win.

We are actually down to second at the minute, but our games in hand give us a massive advantage.

FA Cup - 4th Round Replay And 5th Round

facfixturesfeb2023.png

Terrific performance against Liverpool in the fourth round replay was followed by a sloppy outing against midtable Championhip side Hull. We needed Gomes to come from the bench to set us on our way, and then Scott Sinclair wrapped it up late on.

We face Cardiff at Old Trafford in the quarter finals.

February 2023 Continued

League Cup - Final

lcfixturesfeb2023.png

It may have only been on penalties, but frankly I don't care! The clubs first trophy in eight years, and hopefully the first of many. Doing it against City was also nice, but also a little sad for me aswell.

Europa League - First Knockout Round

elfixturesfeb2023.png

Superb performance away in Italy was followed up by a drab performance in the return leg. We'll need to do better over both legs in the next round againt Ligue 1 side Bordeaux.

Congrats on winning the Tom Lewis cup :D Looks like you could have a fairly successful season.

Well had to lift it this term after mising out on it last season with City!

Epic cup final against Man City (really think you've taken the derby to a new level)! Good penalty win with De Gea the hero

De Gea..................at 32 he's such a hero.

So many games in hand :D. Good work in the Cup final too.

Yep, got no idea how they stacked up so much! :D

Thomas Lewis' Career - March 2023 - Manchester United

Premier League

plfixturesmar2023.png

pltablemar2023.png

Decent month really, with three big wins and a solid away draw. However, we started with my first defeat as United manager, going down 1-0 at Watford just days after the League Cup over City. We bounced back in style though, with a thumping 7-0 win over Southampton. We followed that with thumping wins over Wolves and Fulham, with 34 year old Javier Hernandez in great form. We finished the month with a decent draw at Stamford Bridge against Chelsea.

Next up is a potentially huge game - Arsenal at Old Trafford.

FA Cup - Quarter Final

facfixturesmar2023.png

An excellent win over the Championship high-fliers, with Gomes in sensational form. In the semi finals we face Newcastle United.

March 2023 Continued

Europa League - Second Knockout Round

elfixturesmar2023.png

A 6-4 aggregate win, but I wasn't happy. In the first leg we were 1-0 up before falling 2-1 behind. Yes I was happy we came back to win, but we should never have been in that position to begin with. And then in the second leg we lead 2-0 before letting them claw back to 2-2. We won it late on with a counter attack.

In the quarters we face Zenit St.Peterburg, and if we get through could face either Neuchatel Xamax or Olympiakos in the semi's.

Thomas Lewis' Career - April 2023 - Manchester United

Premier League

plfixturesapr2023.png

pltableapr2023.png

Can't really complain with how the month went, even with the defeat at City. It started off excellently with a 2-0 win over our nearest rivals in the league. We then followed it up with a corking game over Villa. We trailed 1-0 before equalising, only to concede again and trail 2-1 at the break. However, we roared back in the econd period to come out 4-2 winners. Next up was an excellent 3-0 win over Swansea, though there was a downside in the fact that star man Gomes got injured and was ruled out for the season. Just days later we lost 1-0 at City, conceding in the 92nd minute. We didn't deserve it, but hey-ho, it happens. Our final game of the month was against our other big rivals, Liverpool, and we thumped them 3-0 to secure the clubs first title since 2015.

Despite the loss against City, I was still awarded the Mana Of The Month award for April.

FA Cup - Semi Final

facfixturesapr2023.png

Very poor performance, even if a few players were rested. Need to do better in future. Disappointing awell as winning would have set up another final against City.

April 2023 Continued

Europa League - Quarter Final And Semi Final 1st Leg

elfixturesapr2023.png

Two good performances against Zenit, especially in Russia, set up a semi final against Swiss side Neuchatel Xamax. In the firs tleg againt Zenit we were very controlled, and scored twice from setpieces to help us to a 3-0 win. Back at Old Trafford we flew out the blocks and were 2-0 up early on. In the second half though they drew level, but as they pushed on we hit them on the break twice to wrap up a 7-2 aggregate win.

Even though we were firm favourites for the firt leg of the semi, I was a touch concerned with us not having Gomes available, but I shouldn't have been. At the age of 34, Javier Hernandez has still got the magic, and bagged four in a 5-1 win. Just got to finish the job off in the second leg now, and we'll be thrugh to the Europa League final.

Sorry, but I need to bust
out again :D.

Haha that is, pardon my language, ****ing brilliant! :D

Xamax were never going to be difficult really.
It actually is somewhat surprising to see them get this far in Europe.

In fairness to them they have been the dominant force in Switzerland in recent seasons, (FC Basel haven't won the title since 2016), and have won four out of the last five titles. In their last four Champions League campaigns, they may not have got through to the knockout stages, but have always come third, once in my group when I was City manager.

Thomas Lewis' Career - 2022/23 - Manchester United

Europa League Final

How We Got To The Final

Qualifying Round And Group Stage

elprexmasfixtures202223.png

eltabledec2022.png

We qualified with ease, thumping Uniao Leairia 8-0 on aggregate. The group stage proved even easier than what I thought it would be, a we smashed in four goals in each of our opening four games. In the end we easily topped the group, with six wins from six and twenty goals scored. I couldn't have dreamed for better.

Knockout Stage

elkorounds202223.png

We put in some very solid performances in the knockout rounds, thugh I as frustrated at times, particularly in both legs against Bordeaux and in the secon leg of the quarter final againt Zenit St.Petersburg. In the semi finals we were excellent, thrashing the Swiss outfit 8-1 on aggregate to set up a final againt Napoli.

The Final

vs.Napoli

europaleaguefinalmay202.png

A simply amazing game of football.

The deadlock was broken on the stroke of halftime through a stunning strike from Nicolas Garcia. The second half was again tight, but we were on top. However, they cored twice in the space of five minutes to wrestle the initiative away from us. Late in the game though old reliable Javier Hernandez popped up with a header inside the six yard box to make it 2-2 and send it to extra time.

Just six minute into extra time Napoli went infront again, but in stoppage time ahead of halftime in extra time, centre back Saturnin Ahouandjinou equalised for us yet again to make the score 3-3. The second period was pretty dull, although Gylfi Sigurdsson did smash the post late on.

To penalties it went, and stand-in goalkeeper Alphonse Areola proved to be the hero, saving all three of the spot kicks Napoli failed to score.

Seriously wish I could have watched that game in real life. Somehow finals tend to be tenser than this though. Looks like it would have been a nice one.

All i'll say is that it was horrible to manage in. :D

Cracking Final and well done for coming out on top :thup:.

Thanks alot dude.....now for the Champions League next term! ;)

Great final match! The backup goalkeeper of your may start asking for more playing time now ;)

Cheers dude. :thup:

In all fiarness, Areola has made 22 appearances (21 starts, 1 sub app), this season, so it's not like he's just sat and warmed the bench all season with de Gea in goal.

Thomas Lewis' Career - May 2023 - Manchester United

Premier League

plfixturesmay2023.png

pltablemay2023.png

Very pleased with the end of our league campaign as I made plenty of changes with the Euorpa League still going on. Great professional performance at Crystal Palce, and we did excellently against Fulham with a much changed team. The game at home to Bolton came just two days after the Europa League final, so I was very pleased that a side with nine changes managed such a good win. Our league season finished with a solid performance over Sheffield Wednesday, but I was a bit annoyed not to win by more.

Europa League Semi Final 2nd Leg And Final

elfixturesmay2023.png

A very good performance in Switzerland gave us an 8-1 aggregate win over Neuchatel Xamax. And then in the final, well, you've all seen already a few post up. We made it hard for ourselves, but lifted the trophy eventually.

gomesfwa202223.png

Super stuff in his debut campaign; 22 goals and 14 assists in 26 appearances. Fabulous.

balepfapoty202223.png

Excellent campaign from the 33 year old.

pfatoty202223.png

Got to be honest and say I'm a touch surprised we didn't have mre players in the side.

lewismoty202223.png

Fourth time I have won this award.

Also had to post this;

nhassechampionshippoty2.png

He's a player I didn't quite feel was ready for first team action, but he has undergone so much development during his season at Stoke. Here are his attributes now and how he did for them;

nhasseseason202223.png

Will definitely be part of my first team next eason. :cool:

Thomas Lewis' Career - Season Review 2022/23 - Manchester United

Premier League

Results 1 - Results 2 - Final Table (Champions)

Well what can I say? A brilliant firt Premier League campaign for the side under my stewardship. The first half of the season was excellent; we won sixteen of our games and conceded just seven goals. The second half, a is usually the case, was a tad tougher with us competing on so many fronts. The good thing in the second half was that the amount of goals we scored went up. We may have conceded more goals in the second half aswell, but we ended up keeping thirteen cleansheets, 20 of which by David De Gea, and the other 3 by Alphonse Areola.

Moree of the same next term next would do nicely.

FA Cup

Eliminated in the Semi Finals

Disappointed to exit the FA Cup in the semi's, as I won it last season with City and wanted to win it again. We put in some professional performances along the way against a couple of lower level clubs, aswell as an excellent performance against Liverpool in the 4th round replay. The semi against Newcastle was a let down, but was really my fault; in the middle of a congested fixture list I rotated the side around a bit too much and we paid the price.

Newcastle went on to lose in the final, going down 3-1 to Manchester City.

League Cup

Winners

Delighted as always to win this trophy, and even more delighted with who it came against. We were fortunate in the sense that we were at home in every round untilt he semi's when it of coure becomes two-legged. Against Arsenal we put in two cracking performances, and then the final was a tight game that we eventually won on penalties.

My eighth League Cup triumph - and loved every one of them.

Europa League

Winners

An excellent Europa League campaign, even though it wasn't a competition I initially prioritised. We flew through the group stages with ease, scoring three goals or more in five of our games. In the knockout rounds we did very well in most games, but at times got sloppy, conceding more goals than we should have been doing. Come the semi's we faced Swiss side Neuchatel Xamax, and comprehensively thumped them.

In the final we faced Napoli, and like the League Cup final we won on penalties, after a stunning 3-3 draw. Quite easily the most amazing final in my career thus far.

Other Info

Squad Stats - Transfers - Finances

There were some top performers throughout the season. One inparticular wh stood out to was Javier Hernandez. When I took over I said it was a concern that a player his age, (just about 34 at the time), was still so important for the team. Well, it didn't prove to be a concern at all, as he performed superbly this season after a slow start. He will be 35 by the tart of the next season, but will still be here for certain.

Another oldie stood out aswell, and that was Scott Sinclair. Brought for next to nothing and now playing for me at club level for the third time, he didn't let me down again. Left back Simon Walsh, signed at the beginning of the campaign, also had a very good season.

We did spend alot of money over the course of the year, but it has to be pointed out that £38million of it went on one man. We made a very good amount aswell from selling players, and our net spend was just £19million.

Financially we have taken a hit since I joined, even if the books show a loss of just over £13million over the course of the season. When I joined we had a balance of marginally over £60million, so we have actually made a loss of around £50million from when I took over. Come the start of June we will get alot coming in from sponsorship, and with us being in the Champions League next season we will make alot of revenue from that. Also I expect to move one or two of the older players this summer who are relatively big earners.

Top 3 Players

Gomes

A frankly brilliant debut season. I can't help but think what his tally would have been had he not missed the first and last month of the eason through injury. The amount of goals he got was superb, but so was the assists. More next season please!

Isidro Rodriguez

Terrific season from the right winger. Since moving from Mexico for £12million three years ago he had struggled, but this season he really came to life under my management. Goals and assists flowed..............the only thing he suffered from one or two niggling injuries, which was a concern.

Saturnin Ahouandjinou

An absolute rock for us at the back, and he also popped up with alot of important goals. Just need to try and tie him down to a longer deal now!

What Next

Carry on as we are...........also Champions League football is back at Old Trafford!

Archived