Personal Attributes need an overhaul

I can't understand why my under 19 team don't have anyone who can run faster than my slowest first teamers. I appreciate some attributes take years to build up (mentality/composure etc) but pace and stamina and other physical attributes don't. It's rare to see an U19 player with real pace. Why is this? Taking Rooney as an example, he was much stronger than some/most first team players in the Premier League, so why aren't there any strong brutes in the youth teams in FM?

I agree with TS. You never get a youngster with good pace from the beginning. Sure, irl it might take the player a couple of years to learn how to run really fast. But by the time he is 15/16 he should be close to as fast as he can be. I understand that this might mess up the CA, but that only means SI have to find another way around it.

I have regens with around 17 pace, no probs. Just gotta look for them early bloomers, at least physicals-wise.

Hmhl, actually they're not as prevalent as I thought. Around 10 months from my first youth intake and only 4 regens in the world have 17 pace or better. Interestingly enough two of them are from Israel and play for Haifa.

Having a pace of 12 is not bad at all. I agree there could be more young players with good physical starting attributes but in my opinion the current system just fine in the end. Personally I just got a promising regen through my youth setup (Crewe) who has at least 11 in all physical attributes. It's also worth noting that a player with 20-pace is not "twice as fast" as a player with 10.

The thing that surprises me is that in the lower leagues that having pace of 12 is quick......surely there are rapido players at all levels of Football?
Not really. The likes of Walcott are an anomaly more than anything.

There's certainly lots of large battering rams at lower-league level, but raw pace on the level of a semi-professional sprinter is rare.

In a lot of ways, that's not that unexpected, because if you have a lot of pace at lower-level leagues, you often don't have the technique to keep up with your pace, too. Fitness-wise, you will be less fit than the top players, too, so don't expect to be running at full pace for 90 minutes. Then there's factors like smaller pitches, worse-quality pitches, more clumsy football, more static defences, and so on.

The thing that surprises me is that in the lower leagues that having pace of 12 is quick......surely there are rapido players at all levels of Football?

There are but pace is so overrated in FM that a pacy L2 side would beat a non pacy PL side.

I used to play a target man and whip the crosses in but defender win all the headers so that tactic is useless, so I tried a pacy forward and Im getting a goal a game off him and now I wont consider any forward with pace less than 17 or any player with pace less than 12.

Physical attributes need some tweak in my thinking but overhaul maybe not possible. Young players should have generally a little better physical attributes and it's best if physical attibutes not calculated in CA/PA cos that's just a different area, although I think it may not be agreed with. Nevermind just some thoughts.

Pace is definitely overrated in the game. Some of England's most prolific strikers have been relatively slow in Shearer, Sheringham, Crouch and even Rooney to an extent. In fact in recent history the only pacey striker to have done exceptionally well at International level is Michael Owen.

Pace is definitely overrated in the game. Some of England's most prolific strikers have been relatively slow in Shearer, Sheringham, Crouch and even Rooney to an extent. In fact in recent history the only pacey striker to have done exceptionally well at International level is Michael Owen.

That's due to the style of English football. Faster pace requires higher level of technique, creative passes, and off the ball movement, which most English players don't have.

That's due to the style of English football. Faster pace requires higher level of technique, creative passes, and off the ball movement, which most English players don't have.

The opposite is true. Games with high levels of technique, passing and movement suit a slower pace, as in the Spanish and Italian leagues.

In England more direct football is played with a hoof and chase mentality that should suit a fast striker playing off the shoulder of the last defender, and yet fast strikers are rarely prolific in England.

In FM however they work particularly well.

Archived