Clearing the Ball

Hey, first off I don't know if I am still in the right place for this, but I am still playing FM09 - got a great game save I love which I have had since I started it - and I don't know if there is a special forum for 'outdated' versions? Anyway, if you can help or point me in the right direction that will be great, thanks.

Right, my problem has been bugging me for years (not often you can say that and mean it). It seems that every time that I get shown a defensive highlight when it comes to my defence's clearances the ball almost always finds an opposition player - even when there is a team mate within space and offloading it would be easy.

It's specifically annoying because I can see so many opportunities to break and score, or at least put pressure on them, but all that happens is that they recycle possession and come at me again, and again, and again. I can understand the odd poor choice, but when it happens again and again and so often leads to me conceding, or at the very least stopping me from attacking, it frustrates me no end.

So my question to you readers would be, 'how do I stop this waste of possession?'

Hey, thanks for the reply.

Regarding the tempo suggestion; to be honest I doubt it is this in particular (although it may be a small influence) as I have been playing this game save for nearly three decades game time and during that period I have played with many tempo's and style of play. The same can also be said for my use of 'time wasting' with it being quite low at the moment, but in seasons past being relatively high for more possession based tactics. Once again, I doubt it is the main cause but I suppose it could always be a small part.

Your mention about composure though is something that I hadn't considered. Looking at my defence now I can see that I haven't put much thought into this attribute, as while no-one is below 11 in composure no-one is above 14 either. In a premier league team with the pressure in 'big games' I can see how this might be leading to this mad use of the ball.

I think from now on in I will have to keep that in mind when shopping around in the future. Thanks.

That being said, if anyone else has any other ideas I would be glad to hear them. It will be a while before I can sort out the composure of my defence, so shorter fixes are more than welcome.

1. Composed defenders with good decision-making and crisp passing

2. High enough mentality to allow them to take some risks

3. Enough width and deep enough defensive line to create space and time

4. High enough time-wasting to give them time to build up from the back

5. Short enough passing to prioritize short options

6. Enough midfield passing options

7. Lowish creative freedom to have them stick to the instructions above

Thanks for the reply Dakka, much appreciated.

Having taken into consideration the points you and Talak have pointed out I have seen a marked increase in the quality of possession coming out from the back. That is not to say that it has been solved, there are still an annoyingly large amount of long pointless kicks to no-where a game, but I have seen a definite decrease in them. When I start to revolutionise my defence by bringing in new players with better 'mental' stats that you both suggested I am positive things will improve further.

Thanks.

Archived