The Welsh Barcelona: Carmarthen Town

JackJCFC

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Unlucky in the Champions League, but you might be able to make a run in the Europa League!

Looking at the teams in it i think i can win it, the only challenge i can see so far is the teams i'll face in the next round, both of which have Champions League Pedigree

Just had my best youth intake in while, i got 2 players through with 2 1/2 stars, whilst they will never be first teamers for me, if i develop them right they will no doubt go on to play for Wales.

Tom Jones

Tom Lucas

Aside from those 2 i had a GK with 1 1/2 star potential and an AMC with the same potential come through, i'll develop them both and they should end up at WPL in the future.

Euro Cup

Second Knockout Round

CSKA Moscow (H): 1-1. Ferreras put us in the lead early on but then got an own goal shortly after. Elliot had 2 goals disallowed in the first half, and unfortunately we couldn’t score in the second half which was disapointing.

CSKA Moscow (A): 2-2 ET. We had a bit of an off game again in this match, CSKA took the lead through an own goal in the 2nd half. We looked to be heading out until Santos scored from a corner near the end. That took it to extra time where CSKA took the lead again, Santos got his 2nd from a corner and we held out to go through on away goals.

Wales

World Cup Qualifier

Squad News: Our Left back Williams is out with an injury so Ashford was recalled but apart from that all major players included. Centre backs Humphries from Ton Pentre and Brewer from Newport County are called up for the first time.

Keepers Matishock and Price both pulled out the squad injured, as did defender Newman.

Moldova (A) Ranked 170th: 1-4. We conceded early on after an own goal but goals from Blain and Hughes shortly after put us ahead. We continued to dominate and score 2 more, one from an own goal and a 2nd from Blain.

We’re currently ranked 134th in the world.

Table

Euro Cup

Quarter Final

Zenit (A): 0-1. It was a close game but a goal on the 20th minute from Ferraras gave us the only goal of the game to give us an away lead.

Zenit (H): 2-0. We were in complete control of this match for the whole 90 minutes. Akesson put us ahead early on and Blain got our 2nd goal mid way through the 2nd half to secure the win.

Euro Cup

Semi-Final

Metalist (A): 1-2. Had 6 players who would have started out injured/banned. Nonetheless we still won, Adriano scored an own goal after 3 minutes to give them the lead but Paolacci got one back for us on the brink of half time. We were all over them in the 2nd half and sub Boban managed to grab a goal to secure an important away win.

Metalist (H): 7-3. A mental game! Goals from Adriano and Elliot put us in the lead before Metalist scored with an own goal. Petrovic and Bonimeier made it 4-1 before Metalist got 2 quick goals just before half time to make it 6-4 on aggregate. In the second half, Boban scored from the spot to make it 5-3, substitutes Blain and Hughes then got on the scoresheet late in the game to make it 7!

Euro Cup

Final

Dortmund (N): 2-0. Paolacci gave us a deserved lead after 35 minutes with a great poachers finish. In the second half Dortmund went down to 10 men whilst Eder scored the 2nd from the penalty spot shortly after. We held out for the win, the 2nd time in the clubs history to win the competition which is nice, hopefully it’s the CL next year!

Congrats on the Europa league! Next year, a push for the CL would really show all of Europe :)
Congrats on winning the Europa League :thup:

Cheers guys, hopefully i can win the Super cup first next season, thats will be against Porto. But yeah i hope to have a more sucessful CL campaign next year.

Wales

World Cup Qualifier

Squad News:Huw Hughes, Iestyn Jones and Matishock all miss out through injury. Other than that we had a full strength squad. I called up Kyle Bowen from Carmarthen after he impressed me filling in at the end of the season.

France(A) Ranked 5th: 2-0. We were the better team for the first 60 minutes, in which our biggest threat Blain got injured. But after that we started to tire through lack of match fitness and France punished us with 2 goals, I’m happy not to have been disgraced though.

Table

Cook and Blain were both injured in that match and were replaced by Allen and Cable.

Friendly

Albania (H) Ranked 37th: 1-1. We got off to a good start with Richards putting us in the lead. Albania got stronger as the game went off and were the better team in the 2nd half, where they equalised mid way through.

We’re currently ranked 116th.

Carmarthen 2036/37

League

Predicted: 1st

Finished: 1st

We had an unbeaten first 22 games and had a 21 point lead at the split. Neath were in 2nd with Bangor City close behind. Llanelli just about squeezed into the top 6 on GD ahead of Porthmadog and TNS. The big surprise was Bridgend coming in the top 6 after a great start to the season.

We won the league after 25 games without any problems whatsoever. Neath were the team to come 2nd this season, claiming the other CL spot. Ton Pentre surprisingly took the best Euro Cup place, Llanelli and Bangor City took the other Euro Cup places.

Aberytwyth are relegated for the first time in this career, a shame but they have never been a top team.

League Table

Cups

Welsh Cup

Loosemores CupIncluded 2 goals in the final from this years youth player Tom Jones, not bad for a 15 year old CB.

Europe

Went out the CL at the group stages but went on to win the Euro Cup with relative ease.

Transfers

Adriano RB: 18 year old signed for £1.9million. Has great potential but not that special yet, however, I had a gap at right back all season and he was a first teamer for most of it.

Vaclav Blazek LM AML: 19 year old left winger with amazing potential, don’t use left wingers in Europe so I played him as much as I could domestically as he done very well getting 9 goals 13 assists in 28 games before injury disrupted his season.

Jan Gerrits CB: 17 year old CB with the potential to be the best defender at the club, already at a high standard for his age and played a lot domestically with a rating of 7.39.

Jesper Akesson CM CDM RM: 24 year old signed in January, I felt that our midfield was lacking during the CL campaign so I bought this guy in, hes got amazing passing and creativity and fits the deep lying play maker role. Played 18 times with a rating of 7.3.

The biggest transfer out was Rodriguez to Napoli for £7.5million as I thought I was getting a better striker in replacement, however the replacement rejected me which may have been part of the reason for our failure in Europe. However, this allowed Blain and Bonimeier more game time, in which they blossomed.

Transfers

Finances

Our stadium is being expanded by 3,264 seats which is costing us £3.8 million. I didn’t even request this so it’s a positive move by the board.

Our training facilities were also downgraded so I’ve requested an upgrade at the cost of £2.5million.

We were losing money every month due to the high wages the club now has, what made this worse was the fact we dropped out of the CL, meaning we lost out on lucrative prize money. Hopefully that can be rectified next season, I don’t intend to be spending a lot of money this summer so i can gauge how the finances are properly.

Finances

Wales

Bangor City went out the Champions league Champions playoff to Dynamo Kyiv and lost in the Euro Cup 4th Q round to HSV.

TNS lost in the 4th Q round of the Euro cup to Ipswich.

Llanelli lost 3-2 in the 3rd Q round of the Euro Cup to Renova.

Port Talbot lost 4-1 in the 2nd Q round of the Euro Cup to Mjalby.

The WPL moved up 1 place to 14th, 1 place off 3 ½ stars. Carmarthen moved up 1 place to 2nd in Europe. We no longer have a team in the CL group stages, instead entering at the 3rd qualifying round and best placed playoff 3rd round. Euro Cup places stay the same.

Welsh young player of the year: Colin Blain (Carmarthen)

Welsh footballer of the year: Colin Blain (Carmarthen)

WPL Player of the year: Grant Elliot (Carmarthen)

WPL Young Player of the year: Vaclav Blazek (Carmarthen)

Manager of the year: Me

Team of the year – 10 players, a record for me I think.

Wales

Friendly

Squad News: We have pretty much a full strength side for this friendly

Andorra (A) Ranked 198th: 0-3. An easy win as expected. Bellamy put us ahead in the first half with his first Wales goal. Jones then came off the bench in the 2nd half to get his first Wales goal before Blain added a 3rd late on.

We're currently ranked 128th in the world.

Super Cup

Porto (N): 2-0. We had quite a few players banned/injured/returning from injury so we weren't quite at our best. Defensively we were poor, conceding from a free kick and a corner, we did have a few chances in the 2nd half but never scored. Shame to lose but im not overly bothered.

Wales

World Cup Qualifiers

Squad News: The only major absence was Striker Richards who has an injury. A few players in the squad were just coming back from injury and 2 defenders were carrying one match bans but I kept them for the 2nd match.

Iceland (H) Ranked 95th: 2-2. We were lacking a lot of match fitness and went 2-0 down after 30 minutes. However, Hicks pulled one back just before half time to give us hope. We played well in the 2nd half and Hicks got his 2nd to pull us level and we were unlucky not to go on and win the game.

Holland (H) Ranked 2nd: 1-4. We went 3-0 down after 20 minutes after their striker who was unstoppable got 2. Hicks pulled one back later in the first half, after half time we caused them problems in defence but Holland then missed a penalty to make it 4, however, they scored a penalty near the end.

Table

We’re currently ranked 128th.

Wales

World Cup Qualifiers

Squad News: Martyn Jones and Kyle Bowen miss out through injury. Striker Richards is called back up as is keeper Kai Evans. Neath striker Robbie Phillips is called up for the first time under my management having got 4 goals in 6 games so far this season.

Veteran Hughes missed out with an injury and was replaced by Tom Moody. Left back Williams also received a training injury and was replaced by Tony Windsor.

Denmark (A) Ranked 61st: 3-2. A shame to lose after such a great performance from. We came out the blocks strong and were the better team, Blain put us ahead after 18 minutes but we then conceded 2 soft goals from a corner and penalty to go behind. Blain pulled it back to 2-2 in the 2nd half and we looked to be getting a deserved point until Denmark got a goal on the 71st minute for the win. I’m proud of the performance despite the loss.

Moldova (H) Ranked187th: 2-0. A dominant performance from us. Blain was banned so it was down to our other strikers to score goals, Harrington got them both after coming off the bench in the 2nd half, his pace proved too much for the Moldovan defence.

Table

Obviously we done pretty poor overall but we did improve as the group went on and there were some positive performances against Denmark and Iceland even if we didn’t get the results. I’ve got a few more friendlies to play this year then its on to Euro qualification as long as I’m not sacked!

We’re currently ranked 115th.

Group Stage

Roma (H): 0-1. We were poor throughout and conceded early on. I can see another group stage exit if this is anything to go by.

Maccabi Haifa (A): 0-3. We were by far the better team in this match. Robertson put us ahead in the first half after scoring a rebound. Our keeper then saved a penalty early in the 2nd half after Jacare gave away a penalty. We got better as the game went on and Paolacci and Ferreras both got goals for a strong win.

PSG (A): 4-0. We had a lot of defensive injuries for this and were playing 2 pretty poor backups but even I was surprised at how bad we were. Feel like we've gone back 10 years, looks like 3rd place again this year. Shocking.

Table

Got another mountain to climb.

Indeed, i've got to win all the remaining games so im going to go all out attack. i've also stripped Elliot of captaincy which didn't go down to well although i hope this takes the pressure off him so he can get back to his goalscoring ways.

Wales

Friendlies

Squad News: The squad was pretty much the same as before except Huw Hughes was called back up. 16 year old defender Tom Jones was called up to the squad for the first time.

Montenegro (A) Ranked 77th: 2-4. We dominated the game and got a deserved win. Blain put us ahead after 20 minutes but Montenegro pulled it back just before half time with their first attack. Blain was able to then put us back in the lead on the 45th minute. We then conceded just after kick off with some sloppy defending, however, young Tom Jones who came on at half time scored on his Wales debut to put us back in the lead before striker Richards got his first goal under my management for Wales near the end of the match.

Algeria (A) Ranked 46th: 1-3. Another great performance from us. Hughes put us ahead on the 42nd minute but Algeria pulled it back straight away with a penalty. Blain then continued his great scoring record for Wales with a second half brace to give us victory. After the match Huw Hughes retired, and at the age of 33 I can understand why, its fitting that he went out with a great performance and a goal after 126 caps.

We’re currently ranked 102nd. (Done before Algeria match.)

Yearly Summary

Results

A decent year for us this time, the team have started to settle into the way I play and its told in our performances. We were unlucky not to get more out the Iceland and Denmark games but we got some great results in our end of year friendlies. We’ve now racked up 3 wins in a row which gives us some form going into the Euro qualifiers, just waiting for the groups to be announced now.

Group Stage

PSG (H): 4-0. Since the last game I’d taken captaincy away from Elliot in order to try and reduce pressure on him and get him scoring in Europe again, I also changed to a 4-3-3 formation. They both worked a treat. Elliot and Akesson got on the scoresheet in the first half, Elliot then got his 2nd on the 66th minute before Blain came off the bench to grab a goal late on.

Roma (A): 0-2. I kept the 4-3-3 which was a risk away from home but it paid off. We had a shaky start but Elliot and Bonimeier scored at the end of the first half which gave us a comfortable lead. Despite several good chances in the second half Roma weren’t able to pull it back.

Maccabi Haifa (H): 3-0. We needed to win this game and we did in a dominating performance. Paolacci put us ahead in the first half but we had to wait until the 80th minute for our second as I began to get nervous, Richards then came off the bench to score a 3rd in injury time.

The 4-3-3 seems to be working for us, we scoring alot more goals and conceding fewer than when we had the defensive formation so i'll be sticking to it for the knockouts to see how it goes.

Table

Congrats on the group stages! Better than last year :)
Good revival.
Nice turnaround :applause:
Excellent revival of fortunes.Good luck in the knockouts.
Nice work in the Group Stages, hopefully the draw is kind to you!

Cheers guys, even i was surprised that we managed to turn it around so well. The draw was very kind to us considering we were a 2nd place team, we managed to avoid the likes of Barcelona and Man City thats for sure.

Wales

Friendlies

Squad News: Martyn Jones took Huw Hughes’ place, young striker Steven Hughes was called up to replace Phillips.

Albania(A) Ranked 44th: 3-0. Awful performance, no-one played well at all, we improved slightly in the 2nd half but I’m very disappointed given the great end we had to last year. Blain was especially awful, playing a 5.4.

We’re currently ranked 98th.

First Knockout Round

Benfica (H): 2-0. Dominated the game from start to finish. Vidakovic and Elliot were the players to get the goals, both in the first half, we probably should have got more with the chances we had but at least we didn’t give away any away goals.

Benfica (A): 1-4. Played 5-3-2 in the first half and we weren’t great, although it was 1-1 at half time. I change back to 4-3-3 for the second half and we played much better, Paolacci, Robertson and Bonimeier all scored in what was a pretty easy win in the end.

Quarter Final

Marseille (H): 6-1. An amazing second half performance from us won us the match. Ferreras put us 1-0 up going into half time after a solid first half. We really came alive in the 2nd half with Elliot scoring twice as well as Petrovic, Paolacci and Bonimeier to pretty much kill off the tie straight away.

Marseille (A): 3-2. Akesson got 2 goals in the first half with Marseille getting one inbetween to send us 2-1 up at half time. We got sloppy in the 2nd half conceding on the 76th minute and then again 4 minutes from the end when they hit us on the counter.

Semi-Final

PSG (H): 5-1. We had 6 shots in the first 4 minutes but PSG took the lead early on. We soon found the net, first with Paolacci to pull it level. Morales then made it 2-1 before goals from Elliot and Robertson put us in a commanding position at half time. Morales then got his 2nd early in the 2nd half to set us up for a relatively comfortable second leg.

PSG (A): 3-3. PSG took an early lead but Ferreras got one back straight away. The same thing happened 10 minutes later with Petrovic equalising this time. PSG then took the lead 2 minutes later. The second half was fairly comfortable and Elliot managed to make it 3-3 near the end to get us a respectable draw.

Really happy to have made the final first time ever, the only downside is that it's against Arsenal, who you may rememeber have knocked me out at the semi-finals twice before. Time for revenge?

Final

Arsenal (N) 2-1. We conceded early on which was disappointing but we did play well in the first half, kept out only by some brilliant goalkeeping. I fired them up at half time and we scored straight after, Ferreras heading in from a corner. The game was closer and was getting more tense until Robertson fired home on the 75th minute and we were able to close them out for an historic win.

The great thing about this is that it means we have 3 teams in the CL, the annoying thing is that we lost the automatic group stage place last season meaning they still have to do qualifying rounds. Typical!! :mad:

Carmarthen 2037/38

League

Predicted: 1st

Finished: 1st

We had a 23 points lead when the league split and were still unbeaten. Neath were in 2nd followed closely by Ton Pentre. The big news was that TNS, Bangor City and Port Talbot all failed to make the top 6, pretty bad considering they are all recent top 3 teams.

We were a bit weaker domestically this season dropping points in 2 defeats and a few draws, although that’s partly down to my efforts to play more Welsh youth. Ton Pentre came 2nd to take a Champions League place with Llanelli in 3rd also making the CL after I won it. Porthmadog, Neath and Bridgend will enter the Euro Cup.

League Table

Cups

Welsh Cup

Loosemores Cup

Europe

Struggled in the group stages to being with but recovered well to qualify. We then made it to the final for the first time ever where we came back to win it after half time against our old foes Arsenal.

Arsenal (N) 2-1.

Dream Team

Transfers

No massive transfers this year, all youth or just Welsh players.

Daniel James AML ST: 21 year old Welsh player released from Man united, has everything but pace. Done very well in the reserves league and scored almost every time he played for the seniors but will never be a first teamer.

Walter Alves CB RB: Signed this guy a year or 2 back but he’s only just arrived 18 years old. Has 3 star potential at both RB and CB which will be useful, likely to be a backup when older.

Peter Richards ST: Experienced Welsh striker who had no club, wanted to keep him fit for the NT. Got 13 goals in 23 games but getting rid this summer, he’s off to West Ham.

Jacare CB: 22 year old CB signed as I just couldn’t find a replacement for Santos. Played him a few times but he looked very shaky. In the end he got injured and this summer he’s due to join Internacional for £5.75 million so a decent £2mil profit there.

Huw Hughes who began his career at Carmarthen has decided to retire, his contract was coming to an end and he had noticeably declined this year so I think it was for the best. His staff attributes are pretty good though so I’ll be keeping him on in some form.

Transfers

Finances

Youth recruitment has been improved for the 2nd time ever thanks to the CL win, its now fairly basic. Getting this up seems to rely on reputation which for some reason is still National.

£5million was paid out to shareholders.

We have a new stadium sponsorship worth £750k per year, up on before which was £369k. The board are expanding the stadium by 3,265 seats again which should make it around 14,000 capacity.

Finances

Wales

There are no international friendlies for Wales this summer and we’re currently ranked 103rd in the world.

Neath went out the Champions league Champions playoff to Rubin and lost in the Euro Cup 4th Q round to Villareal.

Ton Pentre lost in the 4th Q round of the Euro cup to Saint Etienne.

Llanelli lost 4-1 in the 3rd Q round of the Euro Cup to Valerenga.

Bangor City lost 5-1 in the 2nd Q round of the Euro Cup to Celik.

The WPL dropped 2 places to 16th in Europe. Carmarthen stay ranked 2nd place in Europe. Wales keep the same qualification places, meaning no group stage spot once again.

Welsh young player of the year: Martyn Jones (Carmarthen)

Welsh footballer of the year: Colin Blain (Carmarthen)

WPL Player of the year: Silvio Boban (Carmarthen)

WPL Young Player of the year: Silvio Boban (Carmarthen)

Manager of the year: Me

Team of the year

Archived