Great players in FM that never made it irl

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fredy William Thompson has had a few mentions, but in that version there were about 4-5 Guatemalan players who were utterly fantastic. I also remember having a winger called Daniel Braathen (I think he played for Bolton a few years ago?) who ended up being incredible.

Gennaro Scarlato

Claudio Bellucci

Federico (not sure about the name) Lazzari, sweeper

in minor way Petre and fellow Contra

Higginbotham

I wonder if that english striker, James Vaughan...never heard of him but in recent FM he's cool...will he enjoy the list?

Stephen Crainey

maybe Kasper Schmeichel?

tons of French players anyhow :)

De Silvestri is on the way too

Benjamin Onwuachi

John Fleck? Although there's still time.

Still rated highly on FM12 pre-update. I think the scottish media expected loads from him and he crumbled under the pressure. Just before his first game on reporter called him the Scottish Wayne Rooney.

Hi all.

New here but experienced FM/Cm player ever since the first game.

From that very first edition incl the 94 data update, several names spring to mind:

Jon Narbett (hence my nick), the legendary Joey Beauchamp, John Williams (the Coventry striker - fantastic goal getter and probably my alltime no.1), Alan Moore (Middlesbrough AM/FC). Their personalities were random so in games where they were "withdrawn" or "arrogant" they didn't quite deliver the top performances, but as "responsible" or "confident" they always were in the top 10 ratings of all players.

Others who were always good were Julian Joachim, Mark Draper, Mike Marsh, Don Hutchison.Tommy Johnson (Derby) and the mighty Nigel Clough. I know that some of them made it to the Premiership, but not anywhere near the world beating potential they had in the game.

Ah these memories... Just found that I could get the game for free and play it via the DOSbox. While the present game is obviously much more realistic, sometimes it's good fun to play a season in just one evening and winning most of your games... :cool:

Narbett - good call on Mike Marsh, he was pretty handy in the earlier versions of CM.

I seem to recall Istvan Kozma was actually pretty good too in CM93, but never quite hit the same heights for the real Liverpool.

Yeah, he's still got great stats in FM but outside the game (computer) I've not heard much about. I did say there's still time but by now I'd have thought there'd be quite a buzz going around the football world or at least Britain about him.

Hi all.

New here but experienced FM/Cm player ever since the first game.

From that very first edition incl the 94 data update, several names spring to mind:

Jon Narbett (hence my nick), the legendary Joey Beauchamp, John Williams (the Coventry striker - fantastic goal getter and probably my alltime no.1), Alan Moore (Middlesbrough AM/FC). Their personalities were random so in games where they were "withdrawn" or "arrogant" they didn't quite deliver the top performances, but as "responsible" or "confident" they always were in the top 10 ratings of all players.

Others who were always good were Julian Joachim, Mark Draper, Mike Marsh, Don Hutchison.Tommy Johnson (Derby) and the mighty Nigel Clough. I know that some of them made it to the Premiership, but not anywhere near the world beating potential they had in the game.

Ah these memories... Just found that I could get the game for free and play it via the DOSbox. While the present game is obviously much more realistic, sometimes it's good fun to play a season in just one evening and winning most of your games... :cool:

You brought a tear to my eye mentioning those names. Great memories! I forgot all about them. Tommy Johnson was a must buy as well as Julian Joachim. Bradley Allen wasn't a bad buy either. Slightly off topic, but 4-2-4 Continental used be a deadly formation.

Nicholas Millan has always been one for me. Honestly expected him to be in a European club by now, given the hype he was given at 14 (including by the BBC). Always load the Chilian leagues and try to sign him though.

Jonathan Tuffey is another one I used to sign, back in the day. Always became a solid keeper for me. Looks like he may be finding himself a good career in Scotland but had hoped he would be playing for a Championship club.

Adrian Mihalcea, James McEveley, Simone Padoin, Cesar Delgado, Nonato, Ryan Garry, Richard Duffy, Alessandro Simonetta, Dagoberto, STEWART DOWNING, and Leon knight. There was a Cypriot Goalkeeper but I can't remember his name.

Federico Laurito anyone?

Federico Laurito played for me on FM2007 for a couple of years, I sold him on to an Italian club, and then he moved through Italy and Spain and ended up being two-time world player of the year!

Also, for me on FM2007 - Jack Hobbs. Bought him for next to nothing for Norwich City, and as I became a major team, he stayed in my squad, his performance never dropped. He ended up with 18 England caps, and is currently a coach for my Norwich team in that game, when I go back to play it.

• 4 years later...

I can remember three players: 

Nacer Barazite (early 2000s)

Ibrahima Bakayoko (circa 1997)

Yaya Sanogo (2011)

Yaya Sanogo won me the UCL for Sparta Prague togheter with Dimitry Payet :)

Also, Kurniawan from Phillipines was magnificent!

Somebody cired Marquinhos from Palmeiras - he went on to be an okaysh player alternating good and bad seasons in Brazil.

Maybe dosen't fall into the 'great' catergory but he was pretty special for LLM.

Charles Andre Doudin, there was also another Swiss forward who I'd sign (which I've forgotten), I remember having both up top in a pretty great Barnet save way back.

Lebohang Mokoena was pretty special too.

Anatoli Todorov is the player I remember with most fondness.

He was outrageous as a 17 year old in his Litex Lovech days, so likely around 2003. He is now 31 and has been a poster boy for trawling the depths of the Bulgarian leagues.

Lebohang Mokoena was another favourite, always signed him for Ajax. At least he made eight appearances for South Africa, but never progressed outside of his home country. At the same time, Evandro Roncatto, who ended up on a brief hiatus to Kazakhstan.

There were also some fantastic Swedes around the turn of the century; Kennedy Bakircioglu, Tobias Hysen, Jonas Lunden. Some of them went on to have good careers, notably Bakircioglu played for Ajax and Hysen was most recently seen in China, but they were god-like for my Arsenal side at this time.

Edited by AndySummers

So many Italian players like Fiorillo and Lanzafame used to have staggering potential in FM but never really came to anything in real life. I'll never forget my brilliant attacking trident of Forestieri, Paloschi, and Macheda...

Bakayoko, Tsigalko, Todorov, Roncatto, Adu, Quincy Owusu Abeyie, Bojinov, Francis Jeffers, Nelson Cuevas, Okoronkwo, Christanval, Aghahowa, Bendtner, Nilmar...

I just can't remember the Brasilian striker who played a few games in National team, played in Europe but came back to Brasil. He was great in game which years I can't recall. He was like a FLC or something. He must be like 34 now...

5 hours ago, sipsi said:

Bakayoko, Tsigalko, Todorov, Roncatto, Adu, Quincy Owusu Abeyie, Bojinov, Francis Jeffers, Nelson Cuevas, Okoronkwo, Christanval, Aghahowa, Bendtner, Nilmar...

I just can't remember the Brasilian striker who played a few games in National team, played in Europe but came back to Brasil. He was great in game which years I can't recall. He was like a FLC or something. He must be like 34 now...

not the 'seal' Kerlon? He was a youtube legend! came to Inter as the next big thing and never made it.

I remember feeling very smug when Man. City bought Vincent Kompany, because I bought him first when he was only about 17yrs old and nobody had heard of him, (except of course CM players), in whatever version that was back then, and he was fantastic and didn't have all those real life injury problems. Of course he's a quality player, (if he could stay healthy), but Just to stay on topic, I always tried to get Anthony Vanden Borre as well, because he was also Belgian, was a mate of Kompany's  and could play DC and RB.  When playing together in my Spurs team they were terrific for years. To be fair Vanden Borre wasn't the worst irl, decent club career plus 28 caps, but nowhere near his CM ability.

Edited by Hilly27

I have fond memories of an England save on CM99/00, in which I won the 2002 World Cup and 2004 Euros. I got as far as the 2010 World Cup qualifiers when my old computer died and I had to stop.

Anyway, among the players I picked for England over the years were Michael Walsh (Port Vale right-back), Anthony Tarr (Port Vale striker), David Collins (Burnley striker), Steve Housham (Scunthorpe midfielder) and the late Martin Garratt (York midfielder). Tarr in particular was an absolute beast.

I remember all those names just as fondly as the likes of Campbell, Owen, Shearer, Beckham, etc... (I'm sure there are more obscure icons somewhere in my memory banks, but it's been seven years since I last played that save.)

Edited by CFuller

Andri Sigþórsson (or Sigthorsson) was indeed lethal on CM99/00. I also remember Johnnier Montano as a wonderkid who always got an insane number of caps for Colombia in that game. He only got six in real life.

Bjorn Heidenstrom was one of my favourites. Unlike the overrated youth stars and best players in the small European leagues, there appears to have been no reason whatsoever for the Leyton Orient researcher to get so wildly excited about the range of football talents possessed by a 29-year old Norwegian journeyman that started just three games for the club and didn't score.

Since this thread has come back from the dead after five years, I'd be interested to see which players named as not quite making it actually turned out pretty well after all. Kasper Schmeichel named above, for example, is now an established international with a Premier League winner's medal...

On 1/24/2017 at 20:05, puffascruffowitz said:

I haven't been playing FM that long so I'll go with Eder Alvarez Balanta. In FM 15 and to a lesser extent 16 he was an absolute monster of a defender. With some good training wound up being one of the best in the world. And CHEAP! He hasn't quite lived up to that IRL

In FM 14 he was the first buy and the start of turning almost any top division club into a monster. If you could get all of him, Pogba, Januzaj and Lucas Romero you were basically set for a generation.

31 minutes ago, BoxToBox said:

In FM 14 he was the first buy and the start of turning almost any top division club into a monster. If you could get all of him, Pogba, Januzaj and Lucas Romero you were basically set for a generation.

Yea Lucas Romero was one of best CM's in the game and could always be had for what I think 3 mill roughly? THat was an auto buy ever time!

1 hour ago, CFuller said:

Andri Sigþórsson (or Sigthorsson) was indeed lethal on CM99/00. I also remember Johnnier Montano as a wonderkid who always got an insane number of caps for Colombia in that game. He only got six in real life.

Extremely good players! Andri cost almost nothing and was perfect for the Swedish league..

Was his attributes fixed..?

i remember Ronaldinhos wasn't and he was sometimes a let down.,

Sherman Cardenas is another I forgot yesterday.

He was a bit of a rascal as a 16-17 year old. Now 27 and he's had a perfectly presentable career in Colombia, but has never played for the International team. Turned out against me a couple of times in my current Argentinos Juniors game.

Oh, and Nicolas Millan. Debuted for Colo Colo at 14 and 11 years on he's amounted to nothing, playing 2nd/3rd division football. But he turned out something like this (not my screenshots):

Cardenas.jpgnicolas-millan-colo-colo.jpg

Edited by AndySummers

Speaking of Cardenas, I`ve had him on my Hamburg SV save in FM15 and even though he was nowhere near as good as he was on FM07, he still did a decent job.  

Besides some of the obvious names posted here, I remember in FM2007 I had a Brazilian partnership up front consisting of Schumacher and Leandro Lima for my Hertha Berlin team, they`d each score 20+ goals per season. Nearly won the Champions League aswell, but Rooney had other thoughts three years in a row.  Another one that comes to my mind is Arturo Lupoli, turned into an absolute monster of a striker in FM2007 (?), irl he`s played for 2nd and 3rd tier Italian teams and never reached the heights of his FM potential.

In recent versions, Vaclav Kadlec was immense for me on FM10,scoring for fun, he`s now back at Sparta Praga after two average season in the Bundesliga.

Mika Ääritalo

Finnish Forward from FM08- Could be signed for Real Madrid, Man Utd, Everton, Portsmouth right down to League 1 and still be a god for your side!! he was a former Villa trainee but out of all players mentioned he's probably the least well known player listed or one of them... Happy reminiscing 

Back on cm2 i always used to buy Rob Jones from Liverpool because he always turned into a fantastic solid right back. Other examples shown below from years gone by. They all seemed to do better in CM world than real life. Having said that Peter Kovacs did score over 200 goals in the Norwegian league IRL.

albert luque.JPG

brighton10.JPG

brighton11.JPG

Christoffer Andersson.JPG

3 hours ago, louissiscool said:

I remember a german left winger who seemingly everyone bought on either cm4 or 03/04 but i can't for the life of me remember his name. All i can think is he cost about 400k.

Daniel Bierofka?