How do you turn Chelsea into a succesfull profitable club?

Sell Torres to start off with if you can and try selling some of the older players other then Terry and Lampard, then try get some team from USA, China or Japan to get you merchanding money, also play a few home friendlies to bring in the money, over a few seasons you should be ok money wise and Abramovich will just bail you out every season anyway so shouldnt worry too much just enjoy the game.

what athos7 said

sell players who are on big salaries, scout young underappreciated talent and sign it cheaply, invest in scouting and youth facilities, and all the time make sure you don't drop out of the top 4 and lose champion's league money

simples

beginning to feel a little more sympathy for AVB now?

Pretty much the same as what everyone else says you need to reduce the wage bill of the club drastically. I would also play Torres for the first season and get a good season out of him which shouldn't be too hard then try to get rid of him for a decent fee. Try to sign some younger players who will accept a much much lower wage than your current first team. If you buy players try to sign them straight up because monthly payments may result in you spending more money than you would and these transfers will add the the monthly losses.

If you want to be successful as well as profitable, I wouldn't recommend selling Torres et al in the first few seasons. I would keep them until the young players you should be buying are ready to replace them. Youngsters can be signed cheaper and command lower salaries so long term this should be the transfer strategy to follow.

Have a look over in the Chelsea threat in the GPTG forum mate, there's a fair few people playing a Chelsea save and they'll be happy to help out. As the others have said, lower the wage bill as much as possible, getting rid of deadwood bringing in younger players on lower wages. But really, nothing matches success for money, if you can bring in a good £30m+ in prize money a season, it helps a lot.

Hopefully you'll do better with them than how they've been on my current save, I'm playing a journeyman save, they're currently 8th in the league, have just sacked Michael Laudrup and will either be hiring Alan Shearer or...Lee Young-Pyo. Yeah.

Archived