TWalsh on a Worldwide Tour

TWalsh

Career Plan

With me just recently getting FM12 and signing upto these forums I have read through quite a few Career Updates and have now decided to do my own. I have decided that like quite a lot of people, this will be a journeyman save however I'm just going to play this save freely with no set objectives or aims that will restrict me in the future. I will aim to play the game as realistic as possible regarding job offers and obviously no cheating.

I was debating with myself on whether to start straight away with a team, whether to start unemployed and apply for jobs right away or holiday a season and see what jobs were available. I took a look through the lowest leagues in all my loaded nations to see if any club interested me first, and I found a club. I will be starting with the previous footballing experience of a Sunday League Footballer. Maybe slightly unrealistic jumping straight in to a job, but what the heck!

Game Setup

I have selected a large database with the following nations and leagues:

Country			Lowest League Loaded
------------------------------------------------------------------
Argentina		Nacional B
Australia		A-League
Belgium			Derde Klasse
Brazil			Serie C
China			Jia League
Croatia			2. HNL
Denmark		        2. Division
England			Blue Square North/South
France			Championnat National
Germany		        3. Liga
Ireland			Airtricity First Division
Italy			Serie C2
Mexico			Liga de Ascenso
Netherlands		Juplier League
Portugal		2a Divisao
Russia			Pervyj Division
Scotland		Third Division
South Africa		NFD
Spain			Segunda B
Ukraine			Persha Liha
United States		MLS
Uruguay			Segunda Division Professinal

MaidenheadUnitedbadge.jpg

Name: Maidenhead United

Nickname: The Magpies

Year Founded: 1870

Stadium: York Road, 4,500 capacity (400 seated)

Facilities: Basic training facilities, minimal (rented) youth facilities

Media Prediction: 21st (out of 22 teams)

With the media predicting relegation for the club, this would be a tough task for my first job in football but I was confident (optimistic) about my managerial ability being enough to keep us up this year.

Ah! My second most local side! Good luck with them!
Good luck with the save - will be following :)
Good luck with Maidenhead, I'm sure you can do enough to stay up!
Good luck at the Magpies :thup:
Very historic side.
Best of luck with this mate :thup:.

Thanks alot guys for the comments and glad to know I'll have a few followers. :thup:

Maidenhead United – 2011/12 Pre-Season Preview

My Contract:

Weekly Wage: £325 per week

Expiry Date: 30.6.2013

Board Expectations:

Blue Square South: Avoid relegation

FA Cup: Third Qualifying Round

FA Carlsberg Trophy: First Round

Finances:

Transfer Budget: £0

Wage Budget: £2,270

Current Wage Total: £2,360

This Season:

My plan for the season is to secure our safety first and foremost then anything after that will be a bonus as far as I'm concerned. My transfer plans haven't went too well with us getting rejected for several targets due to wage restrictions so the current players have until January to prove they are worth their contract at the club.

How do you think you'll do?

Em lets just say I didn't got off to the best of starts, 1 point from 7 games. A lot of this is due to injuries, with an already threadbare squad we're now relying on youth players. Against Dover in our last game, we had 7 youth players starting with another 4 on the bench. Injuries are killing us! I'm 13 games in and we are sitting bottom with 3 points and still haven't got a league win. Don't think its helping with me being new to the game and jumping straight into the lower leagues, think I might have been better suited starting at a higher level.

The legend rises again :D

Thanks again! :D

Although they are my bogie team, [reluctantly] good luck ;)

Thanks alot :thup:

No biggie, Thurrock's not a place, just a part of the M25.

Yea I realise it's not a big scalp but it was my first league win and has sparked quite a turnaround.

Maidenhead United – 2011/12 Mid-Season Review

Blue Square South: 19th (after 23 games)

As the graph shows, we have been in the bottom four ever since our second game of the season with us being in the bottom two for eleven consecutive weeks but cup progress meant we brought that improved morale into our league games. After going thirteen games without a victory, we have now picked up eighteen points from our previous ten league games. If we finish in nineteenth position at the end of the season I’ll be delighted particularly as the squad we have is mighty thin due to wage restrictions from the board.

FA Cup: Lost in 2nd round (vs. Exeter)

Quite an unexpected run including a terrific victory over League One Leyton Orient where we were massive underdogs. We started the run off with a convincing win over Sholing even though the scoreline suggests otherwise. We then progressed to play Havant and Waterlooville, who made their name with their own FA Cup run. They were disposed of before a lucky win over non-league Weymouth saw us exceed the board expectations and reach the FA Cup proper. The win over Leyton Orient is unquestionably our performance and result of the season as at the time there were seventy six places between us in the league ladder. We then faced another League One team in the form of Exeter and unfortunately we couldn’t match the performance of the previous round due to a number of players being unavailable or needing a rest and with the league more important, I gave some players the day off. Slightly disappointed with the prize money we got but I can’t see myself being here too long as the board aren’t exactly the most helpful and not very co-operative.

FA Trophy: 2nd round (vs. AFC Telford)

Having already exceeded the board’s expectations for this competition, should it interfere with our league games then I’ll be happy enough to drop out of this. So far, we’ve defeated Oxford City quite convincingly, we then faced Forest Green and we are lucky to still be in the competition thanks to a last minute equaliser to force a replay which we won after extra time. We face AFC Telford next in two week’s time, three days after we play Eastleigh who are just above us in the league.

Goal difference is instructive in these cases, and yours isn't bad. Get the defence sorted and you'll stay up easily. Encouraging recent form anyway :)

Hmm that is a good point actually, never considered it thanks.

At the minute though it just seems to be such a drag playing with the board being so uncooperative and the threadbare squad as well as results. Definitely think I needed a different save with a top team to get used to the game.

Just looking through all the threads on here and there doesn't seem to be any big club Career Updates, why is that? Do they just not get many followers?

The reason for asking is that I think I'll finish this season with Maidenhead before starting a new career (most likely Liverpool) in order to get used to the game, especially the regen intake and develop my own style of updates. Once that happens though, I will definitely return to this save. Would there be as many followers for a big club Career?

The main reason is there is very little to achieve, we love to read about a struggle and watch how people overcome it. We also love obscurity, often the most followed threads are those with clubs people have never heard of! also a lot of top team clubs threads get abandoned after 1-2 seasons :)

I would suggest keeping at it but its up to you! This also don't have to be your only FM game!

I think you should continue learning the game on this save, you can always just pick a new club if you get it wrong. Failure makes for a more interesting narrative to a thread, and more satisfaction when you get it right :)

Personally I wouldn't bother reading about a save with a big club unless it was exceptionally well written and interesting. I like reading about small clubs and obscure leagues because they're untrodden territory for me, or if I have happened to manage there then it's interesting to see how someone else gets on. For the last couple of FMs I've had little saves with my team (Newcastle), but haven't posted about them up here.

Maidenhead United - 2011/12 End of Season Review

Blue Square South: 19th (Media Prediction: 21st)

With our highest ever position throughout the season being 17th, and that the first day of the season, we were also going to be in a massive fight for safety. Things started off as bad as they could with no win in our opening thirteen games, picking up juts three points. However, a few decent cup results increased morale and our league form soon changed, picking up eighteen points from our next ten games. We proved to be much better after Christmas, gaining twenty five points from nineteen games but would that be enough to come us up? Well after thirty seven league games, we were 19th and locked in what I seen as a five team battle to avoid the drop. Four games later and we were still just a point clear of relegation, and we needed at least one win to secure our safety, but we had a slight problem - our final three games were against top of the table Woking followed by a game against fourth placed Salisbury before finishing the season off against Basingstoke, sitting in ninth. Woking hammered us 3-0 which also saw morale hit an all time low at the worst time possible. A week later we played Basingstoke and the performance of the season, even better than the FA Cup victory over Exeter, saw us dominate the game and win 3-1. What I couldn't understand was why we couldn't do that all season! But we still weren't safe yet, going into the final round of games we were a point clear of both Staines and Hampton + Richmond so if we failed to win and either of those teams won, we would be down. A win was needed; and a win was got! Turns out it wasn't needed in the end as they were both beat but what a way to finish the season, beating two top ten teams in consecutive games to secure our safety!

FA Cup: Lost in 2nd round (vs. Exeter)

Quite an unexpected run including a terrific victory over League One Leyton Orient where we were massive underdogs. We started the run off with a convincing win over Sholing even though the scoreline suggests otherwise. We then progressed to play Havant and Waterlooville, who made their name with their own FA Cup run. They were disposed of before a lucky win over non-league Weymouth saw us exceed the board expectations and reach the FA Cup proper. The win over Leyton Orient is unquestionably our performance and result of the season as at the time there were seventy six places between us in the league ladder. We then faced another League One team in the form of Exeter and unfortunately we couldn’t match the performance of the previous round due to a number of players being unavailable or needing a rest and with the league more important, I gave some players the day off. Slightly disappointed with the prize money we got but I can’t see myself being here too long as the board aren’t exactly the most helpful and not very co-operative.

FA Trophy: Lost in 2nd round (vs. AFC Telford)

As this tournament wasn't my main priority, I decided to exit it as soon as possible after exceeding the board's expectations as I didn't want it affecting our chances of staying up. Turns out I think I made a good call, as we maybe could have went on a bit of a longer run but we stayed up in the league! Had we had an extra few games in this, who knows what might have happened!

Squad:

With such a small squad, fitness of the players is essential. Unfortunately, our players got injured a lot and that coupled with suspensions meant we were always likely to struggle to find a consistent starting eleven. Only two players got into double figures for goals and surprise, surprise it was our two mian strikers - Alex Wall and Anthony Thomas. If I was to pick a player of the year, I don't think I could choose between these two and should I stay on for another season I would happily sell or release every other player bar these two in order to rebuild. Nevin Saroya had a high average rating for a defender as well as six goals but the amount of goals he gave away through sloppy mistakes meant the average rating doesn't show a true refelection of my thoughts on him.

Finances:

Em not too good, least said about this the better I think. The main reason why I'm seriously considering resigning. The only way we'll make money is through an FA Cup and I can't see us getting further than last season so unless we get a tycoon takeover this won't be improvong. I'm £1k under the wage budget as well and haven't spent a penny in transfers either.

Transfers:

Broke even in transfers, spent nothing and gained nothing. All the outgoings were players on big wages who I felt we could do without or replace with players on lower wages.

Manager History:

Season		Club			League			Position		Achievements                   
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2011/12		Maidenhead		Blue Square South	19th		        FA Cup 2nd round

What's Next?

Well, as I've said I'm really considering resiging but should I sign then there will be a serious revamp of the squad. If that happens and we don't vastly improve on this season then I will not be extending my contract.

The main reason is there is very little to achieve, we love to read about a struggle and watch how people overcome it. We also love obscurity, often the most followed threads are those with clubs people have never heard of! also a lot of top team clubs threads get abandoned after 1-2 seasons :)

I would suggest keeping at it but its up to you! This also don't have to be your only FM game!

I think you should continue learning the game on this save, you can always just pick a new club if you get it wrong. Failure makes for a more interesting narrative to a thread, and more satisfaction when you get it right :)

Personally I wouldn't bother reading about a save with a big club unless it was exceptionally well written and interesting. I like reading about small clubs and obscure leagues because they're untrodden territory for me, or if I have happened to manage there then it's interesting to see how someone else gets on. For the last couple of FMs I've had little saves with my team (Newcastle), but haven't posted about them up here.

Thanks for the feedback and advice, after I posted that last night I was looking through the Good Player + Team Guide and reading team guide's and decided that if I was going to make a big club thread it wouldn't be Liverpool, but Granada (if you could call them a big club :lol:) as their affiliation with Udinese really interested me and the way they make 'Investment' signings just to make profit.

But I'll see what the summer holds for me on this save. :D

A good challenge then!

Too much of a challenge, £1.2k per week will get me about 7 maybe 8 players then most free agents want appearance bonuses on top of their wages. No chance!

Love it when the board decided to cut an already measly wage budget, just brings joy to one's life, doesnt it!

I wish now I hadn't reduced the wage bill by so much last season! But yes, so much joy! :rolleyes:

Great job staying up, and a very nice cup run! Got to love the ambition of the board...

Thanks, yea I thought we would have gained more from the cup run. Well all I'll say is I wouldn't like to be their next manager....

TomWalshNews_Inbox-6.png

Good call quitting there, I think most of us would have done the same. It's just a shame that the game doesn't do a press interview asking you why.

But, of course, it's more important to ask two managers fighting to avoid relegation from the Steve's Plaice Fish & Chips League Division Three West about who is going to win the Ballon d'Or, than anything that matters. :p

Good call quitting there, I think most of us would have done the same. It's just a shame that the game doesn't do a press interview asking you why.

But, of course, it's more important to ask two managers fighting to avoid relegation from the Steve's Plaice Fish & Chips League Division Three West about who is going to win the Ballon d'Or, than anything that matters. :p

Lol - silly board, trying to act all tough and what not. Just lost their main man!
I agree with everyone else, good choice!

Thanks for your feeback, and yes I don't think I was left with much other choice but to resign.

Having a bit of bother now finding a job so think I'll just have to add a new manager. Anyone any suggestions for teams to be or what level of clubs to go with at other countries?

EDIT: Just got a job! :D

EDIT 2: Got a crash dump, and now my save won't load! And no back up! :thdn:

Tut tut, you allllllways keep a backup.
And you should backup your backup too :D

Well at least I'll know for again.

Aw, I was looking forward to how this was going to play out :(

Me too, as I'd just gotten a job at Dartford and was looking forward to it.

Going to start this one again, or do something else?

I'm not sure, I've a number of options in my head:

Liverpool - my favourite English team, try and recreate the glory days of the 80's

Barcelona - my favourite team from abroad, been over to Spain to watch countless matches including the Barca and Arsenal game last year. Will try to copy Guardiola in having a small but highly versatile squad in order to implement Biesla's idea of always having one extra defender than opposition striker.

Blackpool - really loved their attacking style in the Premier League last season and would hope I could do a better job and keep them up. Also, the chance to manage Matt Phillips who looks terrific this year.

Granada - as previously mentioned by me, I love their affiliation with Udinese and the way they make 'Investment' signings in order to make profits due to the TV deals in Spain. Could be a good way to topple the big two.

Crawley - to try and recreate whats going on in real life with what looks like being consecutive promotions and the cup runs.

Any other suggestions? I know they aren't exactly the biggest challenges but they interest me.

EDIT: Just had a brainwave whereby I start with one of the clubs but can only leave to join one of the other four and only if I'm satisfied with what I've set out to do.

Shame to hear about this, are you going to be starting a new thread or keeping it in here? :)

Well I've yet to decide what to do. I think I will do what I said above unless someone has any other suggestions?

As regards the thread, I hadn't really thought about that to be honest. Think it would best starting again, what you think?

Okay, I'm going to make a new Career.

However, I don't think I can manage at BSN/BSS level so I think I will start in say Italy or Holland, not sure at what level. Is there much interest in Tier Two, one club saves?

Also, any other suggestions? If someone has an interesting reason for me to take over at the lowest level in a nation, tell me and I'll consider it.

Okay, I'm going to make a new Career.

However, I don't think I can manage at BSN/BSS level so I think I will start in say Italy or Holland, not sure at what level. Is there much interest in Tier Two, one club saves?

Also, any other suggestions? If someone has an interesting reason for me to take over at the lowest level in a nation, tell me and I'll consider it.

Try one of the Jupiler league teams, very fun league.

Archived