'Lessons in Calcio' - Crouchy, Facci Sognare!

crouchaldinho

Thoroughly enjoyed your FM10 career with St. Alban's.

Hopefully this will be as exciting, albeit in a completely different type of game. Count me in as a follower. :thup:

Good luck.

Thanks Dburns! :thup:

Hurrah! A new Crouchy thread! I see my time as the main Italian league thread has now passed! :p

Good luck in Italy!

I doubt that is true Deisler!

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's a rough start to your career but an awesome start to the thread :) Fantastic read!

Thanks Abulezz. A rough start indeed but things can only get better!

whooppp a crouchie thread, All we need now is an AB thread

Definitely. Come on AB, step up! :D

Christ, Crouchy has got sacked in Italy! No dominance this time?

Not sacked Nobby. I resigned!

Unlucky with Giacomense, should be easier to stamp your authority on the club with a full season to do so. Good start to the thread though, triumph through adversity is always a better tale!

Yes, I think so SnakeXe. And I think I'm already seeing the benefit of having a full pre-season with Mezzocorona as I've been able to put more of my vision into place before the season has even started. Hopefully that'll stand me in good stead for this season.

It refers to the region they're based in.

Thanks Romanista! :thup:

Maybe one day I'll get to manage Roma? You never know! I would like to! :)

Unlucky with the relegation and sacking but good luck with your new club :thup:

Cheers HC!

Relegations is always an unwanted pain but maybe a full season will do you better,good luck with Mezzocorona :thup:

I'm already feeling more positive with Mezzocorona. It's going to be tough as money is very tight but should be a fun challenge!

Not the best of starts, but you were always going to be facing an uphill battle! Better luck with team two :)

Cheers AK22! :)

Project 2 - First season at A.C. Mezzocorona - Season 2012/13 Preview

AC_Mezzocorona.jpg

With thanks to SnakeXe for the format, which I have pretty much shamelessly copied!

Board Expectations:

Lega Pro Seconda Divisione Girone B - Safe mid-table position (surprised by this as we are one of the smallest clubs in the league and predicted to struggle)

Coppa Italia Lega Pro - Learn from the experience

My Expectations:

Lega Pro Seconda Divisione Girone B - Safety and well clear of relegation danger

Coppa Italia Lega Pro - Really don't care and will treat this as if the matches are pre-season friendlies

Budgets:

Transfer - £0

Wages - £7,200/week (£10,000/week currently, will definitely need to cut this!)

Balance: -£170,000 (not good!)

Squad: The squad was threadbare when I joined so I've made a large number of signings without spending a penny. All free transfers with a few loans to fill in the gaps. We have one or two talented players but the rest are pretty average for the division. When trying to sign players, I was shocked by the number of free agents who wouldn't even talk to me due to my lowly reputation in the game. Two types of players would sign and those were either young players lowish on ability but with some potential or older players who were in decline and desperate to find a club for one more season in the game. I concentrated on bringing in the right kind of personalities for my team, looking for ambitious and hungry players or professionals and role models to lead the side.

Key Men:

Stefano Mondini - A strong technical player for this level and a good professional, so I'm hoping he'll be controlling things for us in the centre of the pitch.

Luca Righini - Young midfielder with good technique who I'll be hoping can do a good job for us in the middle of the park.

Fabio Artico - Experienced forward with plenty still to offer the club. He will be club captain and is a natural leader who will bring lots of experience and the right kind of mentality to my team. The one downside is that Artico will definitely need support in the form of another striker up front. I did plan to play one striker and go for my favoured 4-2-3-1 formation but this guy lacks pace and acceleration, so will definitely need a partner alongside him, I feel.

Many of our other players are very average, to be quite honest, so these guys will probably be the main key players for us this season. I do have confidence that we have good enough players to achieve the objective of staying safe this season.

Tactical approach:

ACMezzocoronaTactics_Overview.jpg

I toyed with the idea of 4-2-3-1 but, as I mentioned above, I feel that the ageing Artico will definitely need a partner up front. I also thought of 4-3-1-2 but we don't really have the right kind of player to play in the hole effectively. In the end, I decided to start the season with a no nonsense 4-4-2. Righini will be key in the middle and Artico vital up front with the support of a partner in the shape of Andrea Mandorlini (a player who I also had on loan at Giacomense). It's a fairly basic 4-4-2 set-up with little to analyse but I'm looking for Artico to be the creative influence up front. We'll start with this system and see how things progress as the season gets started.

I'm loving the extra difficulty on FM12 when you start with a lower reputation. This feels different to FM10, anyway, so I'm pretty sure it's new. A lot of players won't talk to me about signing and my own players aren't motivated to play for me. Along with the low team gelling and the lack of Italian language skills, this is proving a great test for my Football Manager skills. :D

You're welcome to ape my format as much as you like, sir :p

System looks pretty foolproof, perhaps a little lack of support for the strikers through the middle with both central midfielders remaining pretty deep, although that should give you a solid base. Plenty of 1-0s hopefully!

Great to see another Crouchy thread. Best of luck with this. See you got off to an excellent start too. Early relegations and sackings are great for any save.

Hope you return to the FM10 save one day too ;)

Thanks Pangaea. I'm definitely wanting to return to that FM10 save, don't you worry about it! I miss my mighty Saints team and, of course, Michel Vermeer especially!

I'm getting used to FM12 now and quite liking it so far but I must say that I had a quick look at the FM10 user interface the other day whilst I was copying some training schedules over and I think it looks much better in places. I miss the FM10 tactics screen, in particular.

I might have to search the skins part of the forum and see if anyone has produced a retro skin. Anyone recommend any skins for FM12?

Not a good start but Mezzocorona have a much better sounding name. Good luck dude.

Mezzocorona just sounds like some kind of awesome and exotic cigar to me! :D

You're welcome to ape my format as much as you like, sir :p

Thanks man. I thought you wouldn't mind. ;)

And I'll probably take you up on that!

I want to do more succinct updates and I like your style in the pre-season report of getting information up so that people can glance over and get most of the main points easily without much effort.

System looks pretty foolproof, perhaps a little lack of support for the strikers through the middle with both central midfielders remaining pretty deep, although that should give you a solid base. Plenty of 1-0s hopefully!

Well - SPOILER ALERT - it's certainly working on the defensive front. If we're being stereotypical about Italian football then the Italian style is definitely working for my team! You'll have to wait for the winter break to see how we've been getting on.

Also, I should say that I do have a couple of options in the middle so I can bring in a more orthodox midfield if necessary.

I think we need to nominate that 2nd post as the 'Best Ever Post on the FMCU Forums' Award. :D

Good luck Crouchy. Will be following!

Thanks Rancer! :)

Something I've learned Crouchy is that is the starting wage for any staff is too high, just keep offering them your max wage without locking and eventually they agree!

Yes, I've found this out for myself and it has helped. :)

Tough start but good luck with Mezzocorona!

I like the idea of the simple but often effective 442, looks like you have a big squad aswell.

Yeah, the squad definitely needs trimming and it will be trimmed in January. I just went ahead and signed as many decent players with the right kind of mentality as I could.

I'll need to do some major trimming to cut the wage bill. Shouldn't be much of a problem though as I think I know my squad a lot better now and who is or isn't in my plans etc.

WINTER BREAK SUMMARY - Project 2: A.C. Mezzocorona season 2012/13:

results1.jpg

As you can see, things have gone well at times and we're certainly quite hard to beat, keeping it tight at the back and recording plenty of clean sheets.

We kicked things off with the Coppa Italia Lega Pro. This took up the first four games of the season and I treated it very much as if it was a pre-season friendly competition. Although we lost three of the matches and only won one, I still felt pretty positive going into the league campaign. We weren't expected to progress in the cup and I wasn't really interested anyway as previously stated.

Our opening league fixture was the 2-0 win at home to Aquanera. A great start to the season. We wobbled a little bit afterwards but then quickly picked up four consecutive wins to push us up the table.

In November, our form began to stutter somewhat, and we began to drop points, losing matches or sometimes grinding out dull draws. It was during this period that we had injuries to the wide players and struggled to find adequate replacements within our squad. I experimented with the playing system, switching to 4-1-3-2, and the result was some inconsistent performances going into December.

Despite some disappointing results in the lead up to the winter break, I think we finished quite strongly and pulled our form back on course. We were able to grind out draws at home to Celano and away to Borgo a Buggiano, which seemed to pick up the confidence, and then we finished the year with a 3-1 win at home to Virtus Entella.

All in all, it has been quite positive and I'm pleased with how we've done. The squad is slowly gelling and I'm gradually rebuilding my reputation despite the fact that some of the squad still aren't motivated to play for me!

ACMezzocoronaSquad_Players-1.jpg

There have been a few changes to the squad during this period. I let a few players go in order to bring the wage bill down but also signed one or two players to increase options in the wide positions. The plan now is to go back to the 4-4-2, which seems to get the best out of key player and captain Fabio Artico.

From the current side, defender Errico Altobello has the best average rating and he has been a rock for us at the heart of the defence. He is definitely the main reason that our defensive record has been so good for the majority of the season.

I'm not quite getting what I want from creative midfielder Luca Righini. By that, I mean that I feel there is more to come. He did score one absolutely fabulous goal against Chieti in a 2-2 draw away from home. If I get the hang of the YouTube thing, I may well upload it at some point.

Up front, captain and veteran striker, Fabio Artico, is doing well but tends to fade in games and needs plenty of rest between matches. He is usually partnered by Andrea Mandorlini, who has hit 5 goals. The real surprise package has been super sub Mahammidy Futa Tennerielo, who has managed to hit 8 goals in the league. He has that combination of pace and acceleration, as well as finishing ability, which makes him a constant danger for us. He lacks the right kind of mental attributes so I tend to prefer starting with Mandorlini but Tennerielo has proved to be a good player to come off the bench for sure.

LegaProSecondaDivisioneGironeBOverview_Stages-2.jpg

We go into the winter break in 10th place. We are three points off the play-offs and a decent distance from any danger. I'm quite content with this but I'm actually looking for more in the second half of the season. To finish top half is now the aim but if we can get any higher and break into the play-offs, that would be a massive bonus.

The management and the fans appear happy with my performance as manager thus far. We do need to try to play a more entertaining style of football though. The fans have complained about some dull performances and it's true that in some games I've gone out with the team set up to get a 0-0 or nick a 1-0. It's working okay but maybe I need to be a bit more adventurous at home in the second half of the season.

Good luck! Hope this is going to be a good save!

Thanks SazoJohnno!

Great job of stablising Mezzocorona!

It's going better than expected so far. :thup:

Nicely poised for a playoff push! That run of 8 games where you only conceded 2 in October and the start of November is excellent.

Yes, that was pretty special. Everything seemed to just click nicely for that run. Another one like that in the second half of the season could see us pushing for a play-off place but I'm not going to get too excited as I think where we are now isn't a million miles away from our actual level really.

Looking solid so far and not far off the playoffs either.

Cheers. :)

Good luck mate (good result for st albans againts weymouth the other week ;) theres only one Ian ridley!)

Grrrrr. :mad:

Nicely one start at Mezzocorona. :applause: It`s uberhard to secure newbie in Pro Seconda Divisione. But, you should be able. Non mollare mai, Crouchy. Subscribed.

P.S. If you want to manage in Rome, you should visit the "older" one. :)

It does seem a tough challenge but I have the benefit of Mezzocorona having been at this level previously. So although they are newly promoted this season, they aren't new to the level, and I think that has made it a bit easier. But certainly, it has been a massive challenge to build pretty much a completely new team and to ride out the gelling period whilst picking up decent results.

I'm more likely to end up in Verona than in Rome but, if I do go to the capital, I'm afraid it might not be to your tastes. :D

You're definitely settling down to this.

Trying my best Deltablue.

I have mixed feelings about FM12 so far. On the one hand, I'm enjoying quite a lot about it and it's actually nice for me to come to the game without feeling like an 'expert' in all areas as I have with most previous versions. I'm having to learn a little as I play. The increased difficulty when starting at the bottom with a low reputation is something I really like and I have to say that there are some new features and bits and pieces that have been polished that get my approval. ;) On the other hand, there are some minor annoyances. I'm not keen on the match preparation which feels to me a bit 'gamey' and superficial. I'm not really a fan of the new team talk options either. I don't like the UI in areas and can't understand why they changed things so much from FM10, which really worked well as far as I am concerned. Some screens, I'm thinking to myself, 'why is that there' etc. and it's not a matter of just getting used to it as I have been playing on FM12 for quite a while now. The tactics screen is horrible and probably one of the most negative things for me. As a tactical tweaker, it's a screen I want to spend a lot of time on, but the looks and layout put me off.

Enough with the negativity though. I think maybe I'm a little unfair in a way because I am comparing with my favourite version of the series in FM10, which I just thought was fantastic, even though it too has its flaws.

In general, I'm enjoying FM12, and I hope that it'll only get more enjoyable as my career progresses.

I have mixed feelings about FM12 so far. On the one hand, I'm enjoying quite a lot about it and it's actually nice for me to come to the game without feeling like an 'expert' in all areas as I have with most previous versions. I'm having to learn a little as I play. The increased difficulty when starting at the bottom with a low reputation is something I really like and I have to say that there are some new features and bits and pieces that have been polished that get my approval. ;) On the other hand, there are some minor annoyances. I'm not keen on the match preparation which feels to me a bit 'gamey' and superficial. I'm not really a fan of the new team talk options either. I don't like the UI in areas and can't understand why they changed things so much from FM10, which really worked well as far as I am concerned. Some screens, I'm thinking to myself, 'why is that there' etc. and it's not a matter of just getting used to it as I have been playing on FM12 for quite a while now. The tactics screen is horrible and probably one of the most negative things for me. As a tactical tweaker, it's a screen I want to spend a lot of time on, but the looks and layout put me off.

Enough with the negativity though. I think maybe I'm a little unfair in a way because I am comparing with my favourite version of the series in FM10, which I just thought was fantastic, even though it too has its flaws.

In general, I'm enjoying FM12, and I hope that it'll only get more enjoyable as my career progresses.

As you have probably figured out by now FM10 is my favourite version of the game too. At least since the perfection (at the time) of CM 01/02.

I have played some FM12 too, however, and the tactic re-shuffle was probably my biggest annoyance with it. I understand why they changed it, but I don't like it. It is much better (for seasoned/pro users) in FM10 because I can do everything I want in one screen, and I can easily compare what is changed by different instructions by having the team instructions on one side and player instructions on the other. I'm not sure, but don't think you can compare like that in FM12.

Out of interest, what don't you like about the new team talks?

I've not played it enough to know for sure, but a worry I had was that it would just be too much micromanagement and at the end of the day won't really mean all that much. Don't know if that's how it panned out, but having to potentially go through those expanding boxes for several players 50 times a season doesn't appeal a great deal to me.

Didn't like the split in the teams either as I preferred to have all the tabs and sub-teams in one place. Overall there is more mouse clicking now, and I really hate that. Then there is the non-working back button which is a rant in itself.

There are some good changes too of course, but being steam exclusive is not the only reason I didn't buy FM12.

As you have probably figured out by now FM10 is my favourite version of the game too. At least since the perfection (at the time) of CM 01/02.

FM10 is definitely my favourite version and the one I have probably put the most hours into. CM2, CM01/02, CM03/04, FM07 and FM08 all have special memories associated with them too.

FM10 is a great game though and one of the best SI have produced in my opinion. I still have it installed and will probably continue to play it in the future. There are so many things that I like about it, although as I said above, I know it isn't without its flaws.

I have played some FM12 too, however, and the tactic re-shuffle was probably my biggest annoyance with it. I understand why they changed it, but I don't like it. It is much better (for seasoned/pro users) in FM10 because I can do everything I want in one screen, and I can easily compare what is changed by different instructions by having the team instructions on one side and player instructions on the other. I'm not sure, but don't think you can compare like that in FM12.

When I load FM10 up now, I'm struck by how much I like how it looks and how everything seems quite intuitive but then I guess that happens with a game when you put so many hours into it!

The tactics screen on FM12 is a pet hate for me. I don't like how it looks, it doesn't seem very intuitive and it's not 'tweak friendly' in my opinion. I used to be able to switch the screens I wanted so easily on the FM10 version but now I can't do it the same way. The different way to switch between team instructions and player instructions, as you mention, is inferior to the FM10 way. That's just my opinion of course but I just don't like it.

Out of interest, what don't you like about the new team talks?

I've never been a big fan of them, to be honest. On FM10, I worked out what the various phrases really meant and I felt pretty confident in saying roughly what I wanted on it. It was a flawed system on FM10 though and an annoyance on that version too, so don't get me wrong. FM12 adds so many more options and, again, some of them don't mean what I think they do! I'm having to learn the phrases and what to associate them with once more. It's not terrible, I suppose, but I've always just found it a 'gamey' part of FM. It seems quite ambiguous half of the time and it has always been that way. I didn't think further ambiguity was needed though! I might be alone on this but those are my thoughts on team talks.

I've not played it enough to know for sure, but a worry I had was that it would just be too much micromanagement and at the end of the day won't really mean all that much. Don't know if that's how it panned out, but having to potentially go through those expanding boxes for several players 50 times a season doesn't appeal a great deal to me.

It's not too bad, to be honest. I'm playing in a similar style to the way that I did on FM10. It's the same game under the hood. I will say that there does seem to be a whole heap of new information in your face on a constant basis and they have added more things to consider and think about. As someone who pretty much skipped a version (I own FM11 but hardly played it), it did feel strange trying FM12. The familiarity wasn't there and there is a whole bunch of information in your face straight from the off. New features are badly explained in the manual and some additions seem to be there for the sake of it. Again, just my opinion on picking up the new game.

Didn't like the split in the teams either as I preferred to have all the tabs and sub-teams in one place. Overall there is more mouse clicking now, and I really hate that. Then there is the non-working back button which is a rant in itself.

Another thing I'm not keen on. I've got used to it now but I still can't honestly see why they thought this was better than what we had on FM10. But that's just me!

I think if someone developed a retro skin or an FM10 style skin, I would download it straight away tbh! Maybe I should check the skinning section!

FM10 was one of the few versions of the game that I never tried a different skin on at all. That dark default skin was pretty much perfect for me.

There are some good changes too of course, but being steam exclusive is not the only reason I didn't buy FM12.

Yeah, there are some good changes and hopefully I've included some of them above. I'm very aware that I'm hugely biased towards FM10 as my favourite version. I'm also very bad with change so I can be quite negative when something that I like gets modified or whatever. So those caveats should always been taken into consideration when reading my opinions, especially on FM, which I am particularly nerdy about. :D

As I said above, despite some moans I am enjoying FM12, and I hope that it'll only get more enjoyable as my career progresses!

According to GD games like that only happen to us and not the AI. If you believe half the people in there we have 1,456,324 clear cut chances in a match and lose.

Not having a go but why are screenshots so small? my eyes are not good but a full screenshot always looks small to me.

According to GD games like that only happen to us and not the AI.

Indeed!

I couldn't really believe it. My team were terrible on this occasion and the opposition should have beaten us comfortably. Last few minutes, a wildly deflected shot goes in for an own goal and we hold on to secure the points despite now having a shot on target!

Not having a go but why are screenshots so small? my eyes are not good but a full screenshot always looks small to me.

To be honest, I think the same thing. I'm not sure how to change it, so if you have any knowledge to share, let me know. I'm using Photobucket, if that makes any difference? Just using the standard code tags.

I right-click on the image and go to view to make it a bit bigger. I would rather have bigger screenshots though, so if anyone knows how I can fix it, please let me know guys. Thanks in advance. :)

I have no idea, I should have been clearer and said all screenshots in all threads are like this for me. I tried resizing and all sorts and it just didn't work.

I didn't notice the 0 on shots on target lol. Surely not many people have that accomplishment.

I have no idea, I should have been clearer and said all screenshots in all threads are like this for me. I tried resizing and all sorts and it just didn't work.

I didn't notice the 0 on shots on target lol. Surely not many people have that accomplishment.

If you right-click and click View picture info (in firefox) you'll see that the forum resizes images to 800 pixels width. It makes reading some threads easier, but it's annoying for us because it makes all normal FM screenshots fuzzy because even with the smallest windowed size, FM screenshots are 1024x800 pixels.

You can move around this by Photshopping the image a little to make it more narrow (800 pixels or less), that way it will be more focused. I've done that on a few pictures in my thread, but it's a bit of a drag, especially when I need to reshift stuff and not just cut off the right edge.

Don't think anything can be done about it bar manually making the pictures 800 pixels or less unfortunately. It's a forum software setting thing that we can't do anything about on the user-end to my knowledge.

In general I think the FM12 screenshots look more fuzzy though. Maybe because the text is smaller and it then gets relatively worse than the FM10 ones?

I will say that there does seem to be a whole heap of new information in your face on a constant basis and they have added more things to consider and think about.

<snip>

As I said above, despite some moans I am enjoying FM12, and I hope that it'll only get more enjoyable as my career progresses!

FM10 is a really wonderful game. Definitely my favourite in the FM series. It's so smooth on the eyes and everything is intuitive as you say. I use the light skin though, but I've never felt a need to change the skin. They really got it spot on :thup:

This extra information is great in one way, but as I'm a player that prefer to just whizz through when I've got my team set up the way I like it, all that extra micromanagement is not really to my liking. Team meetings, player talks, assy agents, more advanced team talks. It all takes time, while I just want to get to the next game and the next season. This is one of the reasons I like FM10 so much. You basically have everything you need, but you aren't "forced" to do all these other things to get reasonably successful. It's not possible to go through season like on CM01/02, but now when I play with commentary only seasons are fairly quick. Or they would be if I didn't spend so much time checking statistics, records, other teams, my own players all the time! :D

I'm sure you'll enjoy the game more as you go along and get more devoted to your club and career. That's one of the great things about FM that it'll be hard to remove, either by accident or intent. The game sucks you in like a moderately sized black hole.

Archived