Behind the Trequarista?

Ok, I've had a blinding start to the season, 16 wins, 2 draws and zero defeats, won my champions league group containing Real Madrid, shouldn't be moaning etc BUT, the one position/player not doing well is the AMC. I play as folllows...

GK - Sweeper-Keeper - Hart / Ron-Zeiler

DR - WBR - Maicon - Richards

DL - WBL - Clichy - Alba

DC - Ball playing DCR cover - Silva - Kompany

DC - DLC - DC stopper - Samba - Lescott

DM - DMRC - De Jong - Barry

MC - Box-to-box MLC - Toure - Milner

AMR - Inside-Forward - Hulk - A.Johnson

AML - Inside-Forward - Willian - Douglas Costa

AMC - ***Silva - Nasri***

SC - Trequarista - Aguero - Tevez

Tried the AMC as Advanced Playmaker and Attacking Mid, ticked and unticked roaming, tried 'move into channels', tried out Costa/William/Vitinho/Denis... rarely gets over 6.90 and Silva has 0 goals in 15 tries, 6.80 av rating.

Any ideas where I'm going wrong?

to me it look like you are telling your forward and wide players to drop into the space already occupied by your AMC, and that this maybe dont give him enough room to do his thing, you could consider droping the AMC back to MC alongside Yaya or change around the roles of the striker and wide players

I would probably make him an attacking mid on attack duty. At first I would set his roaming off to make sure he makes those attacking runs forward but letting him roam could work better. There is little use for him in the hole as the treq is dropping deep and the btb will step forward so you might as well make him run forward past the treq to give an extra goal threat.

Why is Agüero a trequartista in the first place? He has all the pace in the world and through balls aren't really his forte. Silva on the other hand...

Do not forget that fielding a trequartista limits other players' creative freedom and focuses passing to him. You're basically killing Silva's game by denying him from using his vision and since you're playing a trequartista upfront, he hasn't got anyone making the runs.

You're congesting the AM's space. Your forward is being asked to drop deep, your wingers are asked to cut in, and you've got a box-to-box pushing in from behind.

I'd consider playing one of your Inside Forwards as a winger and the other as an Inside Forward. I'd also consider going for an Advanced Forward upfront with a Trequartista behind.

Why is Agüero a trequartista in the first place? He has all the pace in the world and through balls aren't really his forte. Silva on the other hand...

Do not forget that fielding a trequartista limits other players' creative freedom and focuses passing to him. You're basically killing Silva's game by denying him from using his vision and since you're playing a trequartista upfront, he hasn't got anyone making the runs.

If both inside forwards are on attack duty there are still two players making runs but I agree it wont help Silva's game to have a strikers drop into the space he wants to use so badly. Making the strikers a complete forward on attack duty and maybe changing one of the inside forwards into an advanced playmaker could be a really good solution as well.

Cheers lads/lasses I'll try a few of those suggestions out, I quite liked the idea of Silva AND Aguero in the hole quick passing like Iniesta&Messi do IRL at Barca, releasing Hulk or Willian cutting inside.

Perhaps I could move Silva or Aguero slightly to the right (AMRC / FRC) ??? Then maybe they will operate in slightly different space?

If that doesn't work out I'll either drop Silva back to MC Advanced Playmaker Att or try Aguero as Complete Forward Att.

Cheers lads/lasses I'll try a few of those suggestions out, I quite liked the idea of Silva AND Aguero in the hole quick passing like Iniesta&Messi do IRL at Barca, releasing Hulk or Willian cutting inside.

Perhaps I could move Silva or Aguero slightly to the right (AMRC / FRC) ??? Then maybe they will operate in slightly different space?

If that doesn't work out I'll either drop Silva back to MC Advanced Playmaker Att or try Aguero as Complete Forward Att.

You could try to play them in the same space but it usually doesn't work that well. If you do make sure you give them different wide play instructions (one moving into the channels and one staying central) and/or different roaming instructions.

What I'd do in that case is limit the MC's forward runs, and play the AMC in MC in as attacking a role as you can.

Give Aguero mixed RFD (as Trequartista), set the Wide Play of your Inside Forwards to Normal + RWB on Mixed and play your AMC as Attacking Midfielder on Attack Duty with Roaming + Moves into Channels + Mixed RWB. Also consider setting your MC as DLP on Support Duty.

I use something similar to my suggestion with my Barca team. ST=Messi, AMC=Iniesta/Thiago, AML=Neymar/Sanchez, AMR=Pedro/Sanchez.

Just noticed Aguero and Tevez both have 'comes deep to get ball' as a PPM. Maybe I should untrain them.

Don't worry about the PPM they probably won't want to unlearn it, just give them a role that has often RFD, that should counteract it.

Thanks everyone, results have gone downhill lately, goals drying up, don't know if it's the meddling I've been doing, Yaya at the African Nations, the weather or what? My inside forwards havn't scored in 6, they seem to just pass the ball to their GK

Back to winning ways again, the key to stopping the AM and the Treq getting in each others way was putting the Treq's 'run from deep' to often (cheers ham_aka_stam), also I put the inside forwards to 'roam' so they also weren't constantly inside. The AM is performing a little bettter, but what I have noticed is when he DOES play very well 7.5+ then boy does the team play well. In pre-season think I'll experiment with him as the playmaker so he gets more of the ball.

Had a very similiar problem on my last City game - was playing a 4-1-2-1-2 with a Treq A & Complete Forward S as the front two. The AM S again was suffering badly with ratings so I think it is the Treq that's the problem.

Aguero did okay as an AM S support with Tevez as Treq, so it might be Silva's PPMs (run with ball often)

Archived