Sports Interactive Community
II McColl II

FM12: Swansea City - Clwb Pêl-droed Dinas Abertawe

I've started a new game with Swansea. In which cup does Swansea participate in FM? An English on or a Welsh one?

Thank you.

So where do the Welsh Champions League / Europa League teams come from? Only from the Welsh competitions? That would mean that Swansea and Cardiff almost never would qualify. Am I right?

Most welsh based teams play in the welsh leagues, swansea, cardiff, wrexham and 2 other lesser known teams decided to join the english football leagues and decided against switching to the welsh leagues when they were created in 1992.

The europa league and champions league do offer places to teams in the welsh premier league but the standard of quality within that division isnt very good so most of the teams get knocked out in the very early rounds. The more well known teams from the welsh premier league include; Bangor City who won the league last year and TNS who are more well known for playing liverpool in the champions league a few years ago.

For swansea to qualify for champions league they would have to finish top 4 in the english premier league and to qualify for europe they would need to finish top 6/7 or win either english cup (league cup and fa cup)

hope this helped :)

so the update is out... what does everyone make of the changes?

some vast improvements in some cases... not so much in others...

not managed Swansea in FM12, but Sinclair looks to be about the same, nice improvement in Joe Allen, I think he is a great player

yep.. allen and britton in particular look more like their real life counterparts now...

ashley williams has had a welcome boost too ... aswell as neil taylor and rangel

not played FM for around 2 weeks now, but nice to comeback to see the patch is out so i can now get my swansea save back underway from scratch (i lost my last save anyway)

will also change the OP when i get the chance to make it up to date and more presentable. Hopefully we can get the popularity of Swansea up again :) Should have my first update by tonight

Been working on the OP today and edited and re-done the first 2 posts, tomorrow i will re-do the squad analysis then will do player analysis and finally tactical aspects :) should be looking better by completion.

Also the swansea players have had a very good improvement from the last patch as you can see from the original player screenshots i last took in the squad analysis these will be gone tomorrow but i will put a little link in there for all screenshots to be seen including the growth since the patch :)

slightly yes wazza...

90% of the squad have thankfully tbh... im disappointed sinclair and dyer havent been improved much though... although i can see why, their pace compensates for that.

the midfield two of allen and britton now look like a premiership midfield... its awesome

After faffing about trying to get into Newcastle and Everton saves ive finally settled on a Swansea save, had a brilliant game with them on the last patch.

Transfers In

Craig Dawson - £1.5m

Craig Gunter - £3m

Transfers Out

Kemmy Augustien - £1m

Mark Gower -£1m

Stephen Dobbie - £1m

Alan Tate - £2m

Rory Donnelly - Loan

Premier League

Were currently sitting 5th with 44 points from 25 games, won 12 drawn 8 lost 5 for 35 ag 20. 4th place Arsenal are 6 points ahead of us while leaders Liverpool are 9 points ahead.

League Cup n FA Cup

We was knocked out of the League Cup in the 2nd round, losing 0-1 to Derby at home. Grrrrrr literally just lost to Fulham 0-1 at home in the 5th round of the FA Cup, were in good form right now should never have lost. Form dont matter in the cups though eh!?

Training and youth facilities are being upgraded while the stadium is being bought :) Just wish they would let me hire some more coaches...

EDIT - Sinclair just got his 1st cap, sweet.

you know its all split up now with coaches right?

you can only get a few coaches in.. the rest need to be first team coaches and youth coaches?

anyone know if Vorm Has Been Improved

Vorm's current ability went down and his potential stayed the same, which if you ask me is a complete joke and the researcher must be having a laugh, because I'm sure most will agree with me when I say, he has been one of the best most consistent keepers in the premiership this season, so that stupid fricking researcher must be watch something else that I am not????????????

Have been messing around with a few saves on the new patch, and have finally settled on Swansea. Mainly because I absolutely adore the way they play football and want to emulate their real life exploits.

Transfers In

Guti - Free

Andrew Sinkala - Loan

Transfers Out

Mark Gower - £800k

Joe Walsh - Loan

Ashely Richards - Loan

Rory Donnelly - Loan

Premiership

Just about to start the traditional Christmas period (got 3 games in a week starting Boxing Day) and sitting 8th in the league with 27 points from 16 matches. We do have a game in hand of all the teams around us, so should I win that it would give us a 3 point cushion over Arsenal in 9th and could, goal difference pending, propel us all the way up to 4th.

Cup Runs

We reached the Quarter Finals where Arsenal knocked us out 3-2. And in the FA Cup we've been drawn Liverpool in the 3rd round.

Tactics & Players

I've created my own "classic" style tactic for this save as it's the only way I can get full control over the style we play. The formation is, in essence, 4-2-3-1 wide but my own variation. It has a flat back 4, a DM, MCL, AMR, AMRC, AML and STL. Quite hard to visualise but it's basically a lop sided 4-2-3-1. Obviously it's built around short, possession based passing and I'm really pleased at how it's worked so far. We're averaging around 58-60% possession and pass completion rarely drops below 80%. I utilise a playmaker (Joe Allen) and was using a Target Man with ball to feet, but Graham went right off the boil so I've tweaked it a bit and removed the target man setting and it's gotten him firing again.

Far and away my favourite player is Gylfi Sigurdsson. Such a fantastic player to watch in the match engine, and his set pieces have provided us more goals than I can keep count of. He's our top scorer with 10 in 17 also. Only downside is that he'll return to Germany in the summer and I really don't know whether we'll be able to sign him :(

Honourable mentions go to Joe Allen and Ashley Williams. Williams is such a rock at the back, and has formed a great partnership with Caulker (yet another leaving in the summer :(). Joe Allen is so vital to our style, averaging 53 passes per game (which is rather high for this match engine) and 91% pass completion.

My board have just agreed to buy the stadium towards the end of first season, anyone know roughly how much it costs and how much it can be expanded by?

Never mind it cost £42 million.

Has anyone managed to sign Sigurdsson after his loan's up? I've gotten Hoffenheim to allow me to speak to him but he won't even let me make him an offer :(

Has anyone managed to sign Sigurdsson after his loan's up? I've gotten Hoffenheim to allow me to speak to him but he won't even let me make him an offer :(

£12.5 million and 39k a week at end of first season. He's due to sign when window opens.

£12.5 million and 39k a week at end of first season. He's due to sign when window opens.

:mad: I can talk to him for £6m but he just plain refuses to speak to me :(

I did win the league and FA Cup though.

In the first season?! Well done!

I finally managed to get Gylfi, but I had to wait until the transfer window officially opened, and then had to end up paying £10.5m instead of £6m. I think it must have something to do with when the reputations get re-evaluated as he was very interested this time around.

I didn't mention earlier, but I managed to finish 6th in the first season, and got to the quarter finals in both cups. I did start to struggle towards the end of the season as the squad isn't the biggest and some of the fringe players just aren't very good at all, but luckily Gylfi and Sinclair kept up their form to see us through. This season I'm wanting to get rid of the deadwood (Orlandi, Routledge etc...) and bring in some quality backup players.

Will be following closely Cleon :thup:

Really annoyed with my chairman, he's just went above my head and accepted a £6.5m bid for Rafael Toloi as it was "too good to refuse". He was starting to develop really well and had planned on him being first choice partner for Williams :mad:

Hey folks!

Just completed my first season with Swansea, and I'm very pleased with the results.

33k66nm.png

http://i44.tinypic.com/33k66nm.png

Not so happy with conceding 51 though but a 5th place was above all my expectations.

Also won the League Cup and made it to the semi-finals of the FA Cup, where Man City beat me altough I should have won that match.

Man City played Bristol City in the final, and won it of course. :x

The board decided to expand the stadium with 10.260 seats and they are also improving my training- and youthaccommodations.

My transferbudget for the second season was about €30M, so I brought in quite a lot of quality players. :)

n1w5zq.png

http://i41.tinypic.com/n1w5zq.png

Was very surprised to sign Zouma for just €1.2M, as I had to pay €17.75M for him in the second season on my Schalke save.

Hope I can push it to the Champions League spots this season!

Started a save as Swansea couple nights ago. Played around 4 games, losses to Liverpool (2-0) and Man u (3-2) quite annoying as I played well in both games. Just waiting for my tactics to hit fluid and I can't see these mistakes happening all the time!

Signed Whelan, some south african, Sergio free transfer & Dawson from WBA. Looking forward to see where we end up come the eos!

Background:

I decided to start a new game with Swansea after being charmed by their “Barcelona like” approach to the Premier League. I have a tendency to quickly get tired of the so called normal games so I like to create my own rules. For the Swansea game I have one main rule:

I can only sign players that are maximum 19 years old, the day the player is 20 years old I cannot sign him.

Any rule has to have some exceptions:

For the first season I can loan players, this is an exception that is only valid for the first season.

I can sign older players for tutoring purposes. These players are not available for any first team matches.

Season summary 2011/2012

Transfers:

The first season there were off course quite a lot of the young guns that wasn’t interested in signing with Swansea. But I`m very happy with the signings I made. All the signings have developed well and everyone have been involved with the first team, off course some more than others.

http://i39.tinypic.com/ete1if.png

Premier League:

I didn’t really know what to expect but I had a goal of comfortably avoiding relegation. The season started actually really well and at one point I was second in the league. During the spring I got a mixture of fatigue and to many inexperienced players and I went down the league to a seventh place. Towards the later parts of the season I got some form back and on the last day of the season we grabbed the fifth place ahead of Arsenal and Liverpool. That means that we`re in the EL next season and I couldn`t be happier

http://tinypic.com/r/2cyk7dy/5

Fa Cup:

We drew Manchester United at home in the third round. We managed a draw but on the replay at Old Trafford we didn’t really have a chance and lost 1-3.

http://tinypic.com/r/2ppdocz/5

League cup:

In the league cup we actually made it to the finale but were beaten by Newcastle. The highlight was the two legged semi-final against Manchester United. We lost 0-2 at home, but at Old Trafford we actually beat them 4-1, we don`t have to talk about the team United sent out, we beat them and that`s what’s important.

http://tinypic.com/r/2uppmqg/5

Star player:

Ashley Williams. He led the line perfectly He actually got most MOM in the whole Premier League.

http://tinypic.com/r/2mo2xbb/5

Best youngster:

Yaya Sanogo. He started the season competing with Danny Graham. But during the spring he made the place its own. Developed a lot and look like a beast in the making. I actually only had him on loan this season, I`m very happy that he decided that his future is with us and he will sign on a free transfer

http://tinypic.com/r/fcuypk/5

Most disappointing:

Nathan Dyer. He was my trusted right winger but he really never got going. Comparing him to Sinclair on the left hand side would be brutal for Dyer. I`m a bit worried for the next season, but maybe he needed a season to get going, anyone had any luck with him?

http://tinypic.com/r/16ia9f7/5

I`m using Britton as Anchor man and Allen as deep lying playmaker. I wouldn`t actually say that they are big stars but they are doing a good job

Finally I have some spare time to finish my career with Swansea. And few more match to go to finish my 1st season.

Also Britton and Allen play so well in my game, at least they can keep the ball in possession. Britton as simple passer and Allen more advance, just like IRL.

22220268.png

62594556.png

95631921.png

87219951.png

After the season complete, I'll post the review.

What shape did you go with?

Will do some screenshots when I've finished my season but I've played 25 games so far and i'm 6th on 50 or 53 points. Won the league cup, fairly easy run in to the final (NPC sides) but had Liverpool in the final finished 1-1. Liverpool started extra time with 9 men but I still couldn't score. Smashed them on pens though, 3-0. Vorm saved all 3 :applause:

Van D Borre - yes him, is he any good on fm anymore? signing on a free next season. Also a 22 yr old german striker signing on a free. His name escapes me though..

Hey FM'ers, I've done 4 seasons with Swansea and I'm struggling to break the so called "big six".

In all seasons so far I've finished 7th, well behind 6th on points every season. I was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers on how to go that little extra further to gain a place in Europe.

Finished 7th in my first season. Signed Hatem B Arfa, Seedorf (sp?) Faurlin, Caulker (on loan) Schieber (He was the young german striker I signed back in Jan on a free) and of course Gylfi £7.5m on £40k a week. I made the mistake of not hitting fluid tactic until 20 games were played so I'm hoping to break into the top four this season. Should all be fluid by the 5th game hopefully.

Managed to get into the Europa League after all these seasons of wanting it. Was in the top 4 from December till the last day of the season when I dropped to 5th at the expense of Birmingham. So despite getting Europe for the first time in 5 seasons I'm not happy because I should of achieved a top 4 finish with the fixtures I had.

2012-04-16_00003.jpg

Already this season after 4 games CL football is looking a long way off, hopefully next few seasons I can become a CL regular.

Managed to get into the Europa League after all these seasons of wanting it. Was in the top 4 from December till the last day of the season when I dropped to 5th at the expense of Birmingham. So despite getting Europe for the first time in 5 seasons I'm not happy because I should of achieved a top 4 finish with the fixtures I had.

2012-04-16_00003.jpg

Already this season after 4 games CL football is looking a long way off, hopefully next few seasons I can become a CL regular.

Wow what happened to Birmingham?? Takeover?

Hey Guys, I dont post alot on these forums but i have read through this thread and decided to go Swansea. This has been one of the best challenges iv had in years on FM.

Theres a couple of things I would like to ask you throughout my post.

Summary of my seasons so far with Swansea:

First season: I Finished 8th.

I Conceded 47 goals in that season scoring 57

Second season..

This was a bit of a strange one. I made alot of changes during the close season and it definitely affected my form. I finished 13th and only scored 37 goals. I conceded a massive 67 goals.

3rd Season...

I finished 9th.. Scoring 69 goals and conceded 74 goals!!!

4th Season...

I finshed a mighty 7th in this season.. and with a + goal difference. 74 goals scored and 69 conceded. The opposite from the season before.

Iv built a solid attacking team. My defence doesnt look that bad :( i just cant seem to defend. I made my own tactics i dont like using other peoples. I would like some advide tho. How can some of you guys get such a high pass rate? Am lucky if 2 of my players have a 85%+ pass rate? how the hell can i stop conceding so many goals? lol

My Starting 11:

Courtuis

Romario, Bruma, Bartley, Taylor/Shaw

Sigardson, Regen ( rated 5** by my coaches)

De Buryne, Regen, Sinclair

gabby/ ragen

All the regens i have are rated 5* Potential. I bought this one off Man Utd that was only Rated 4 and a half stars. He was transfer listed and now hes already got 4 stars and now has a 5* potential.

Can anyone offer any help?