FM12: Swansea City - Clwb Pêl-droed Dinas Abertawe

II McColl II

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jonas svensson is easily one of my favourite buys in the game... love the fella...

like the look of de bryune but ive never managed to get any performances from him sadly

I managed him for a few years with Newcastle, didn't really impress on the whole - but developed into a good looking player. Played him outwide mostly, but I think he could be very good in a AMC.

Cheers mate I should try that as i've only scored once all season in the league :( but i got chelsea away on the weekend

How did you get on mate? I was 2-1 up away to fulham, when dembele scored on the counter in the 92nd minute :( still looking for my 1st league win!

yer, i mean you wasn't expected to win there or get anything, but scoring 2 is good mate :thup:

my league form isn't great, haven't won yet going into my next league game with Villa. On the plus side i'm through to the league cup 4th round after wins over bury and brentford :)

Woooo!! beat Villa at home 3-0 to secure my 1st league win. Graham x2 and Bodde. Graham is now on 4 in 6 games :)

Start of 2012/2013

Last seasons success was built on a foundation of the original Swansea players, this gave me a chance to see who merits their place and who has a future - or not in the case of Leroy Lita and Luke Moore. A season on now I have seemed to stamp my mark on the side, a largely Scandinavian one by the looks of it. This year I have targeted a Europa League place, which I think is realistic if I can improve upon last years dreadful away form.

Transfers In

• Steven Taylor; £2.3m from Newcastle.
  • Davide Santon; £12m (lots of clauses) from Newcastle.
  • Dusan Djuric; free from Zurich.
  • Daniel Tozser; free from Genk.
  • Keko; season loan from Catania.
  • Tomas Kalas; season loan from Chelsea.
  • Zakaria Labyad; season loan from PSV.
  • Seyi Okachi; £14k from FC Ebedei. the regen below

Transfers Out

• Darnel Situ; £550k Burnley
  • Alan Tate; £250k Southampton
  • Stephen Dobbie; £1.6m Southampton
  • Nathan Dyer; £2.2m Wolverhampton
  • Scott Donnelly; £200k Peterborough
  • Gary Monk, Thomas Butler, Fierre Bodde, Craig Beattie, Joe Walsh, Kemy Augustien, Jazz Richards, Gerarhd Tremmler, David Cotterill - All released.

SwanseaCityFixtures_Fixtures-1.png

Didn't play too many games, but came through all with a vast array of positives. Going into pre-season I had two main long term injuries, both of which led me to make extra moves in the transfer window. First of which came at the end of last season to Jelle Vossen, he was out for all pre-season and will miss first few of season; this therefore would leave me with just Danny Graham as my only primary striker; although Glyfi can play there, all though it would not be ideal to the rest of the team. Therefore I brought in Zakari Labayad, who I like the look of, this would give me an extra option just in case I need him, but will more often than not see himself out wide on the right or behind the striker. The next injury came during against Hull, and it came to Ashley Williams. He was firmly in my plans to build a partnership with Steven Taylor at the back, but this left me one center back short for 6 months than I had planned. Although I have decent cover, I thought I'd bring in Tomas Kalas on loan just to be safe - another young player I like the look of, and have experienced him turning into a top defender in a previous save become a regular at Chelsea.

Have had to fend of various attempts from various clubs to pluck some of the jewels in my side - Joe Allen, Glyfi, Michel Vorm, Scott Sinclair and Neil Taylor. Managed to keep all of them, even if it ment extending their contracts at the request of their greeeedy Mr. 20%'s. I have done all my business before the Premier League kick off at home to Liverpool, so here is what my final squad looks like at the start of the season, so here is what it looks like now, vastly transformed now than what I started with, but it is now clear of the deadwood I had to deal with;

• Goalkeepers

1. Michel Vorm

21. Moreira

- David Cornell

• Defenders

27. Steven Taylor

19. Daniel Alfei

32. Magnar Ødegaard

16. Tomas Kalas (season loan)

2. Ashley Williams

28. Stefan Strandberg

5. Tor Marius Gromstad

22. Angel Rangel

14. Romario (loan until Jan.)

12. Davide Santon

3. Neil Taylor

46. Seyi Okachi

• Midfielders

7. Leon Britton

6. Daniel Tozser

24. Joe Allen

15. Dusan Djuric

4. Ruben Yttergård Jenssen

18. Andrea Orlandi

8. Gylfi Sigurðsson

• Wingers/Strikers

20. Zakari Labyad season loan

23. Keko season loan

27. Lucas Andersen

11. Scott Sinclair

9. Danny Graham

10. Jelle Vossen

43. Josh Cook

The youth of today, well this season..

MagnardegaardOverview_Profile.png?t=1327055919

Magnar Odergaard seems to be a real bargain even if he doesn't make the first time. Still young and has some stats and hopefully the potential to be a decent center back. Most excited about Romario, seems to be a Dani Alves 2.0, had him since end of January and has developed well. Slowly introduced him into first team at end of season, played well, and had a great pre-season; will try and keep hold of him once his loan is up. Looking at his analysis each game you can see he spends most of his time within the opponents game. If I keep hold onto him post January it will see the departure of Angel Rangel sadly. Fortuitously found Seyi Okachi whilst scoutng though Nigeria's regen intake myself, turned out he was also eligible for England so a work permit was no issue, so a great stroke of luck. Lacks some mentals, but will try and get Steven Taylor to tutor him this season, and possibly loan him out if he isn't getting enough game time towards end of season.

ZakariaLabyadOverview_Profile.png

Top two guys are in on loan. Brought Keko in to replace Nathan Dyer, but will become surplus to requirements if he fails to impress; mostly because Labyad and Andersen look to be superior. Labyad was very much an impulse loan, but has impressed in the games that he has featured in pre-season. Lucas Andersen made one or two sub appearances to the tail end of last season, but featured largely in the reserves since he joined in January. Stats have rocketed, and now looks to be one of my best players at 17. Sadly I've seen in his thread that his progress seems to finish and plateu at around 18/19, but still look to be a very good player. After 6 seasons in my only previous save with Newcastle I never had a single youth candidate that showed any first team potential, yet the first season with Swansea, and this guy pops up. Joined at 15, was shortly given his first U21 cap, scored and assisted within 30mins against Hibernian, and scored two against the Welsh minnows I played in pre-season (can't pronounce them). Very excited about this guys future.

tommonufc

Some nice signings there mate, but how come you let Bodde go? He has been awesome for me so far!

I've never really played him, always relied on Britton, Allen and Glyfi in central midfield in first season, so when he did get the odd start or sub appearance he wasn't match fit, thus didn't perform that well - a downward spiral. So didn't decide to renew the guys contract. I'm sure he could have been a decent player for me, but just didn't fit the bill. Same can be said for Orlandi at the moment, just isn't getting the game time. Looking to move him out.

Ah right fair enough. Leon Britton is out for 3 months on mine, after getting injured in pre-season, so i had no option but to start him as i play 3 centre midfielders and he has scored a few screamers fair play.

Yer i have already moved Orlandi on, i just knew he weren't going to make the cut as a central player or a wide man, so i took £1m for him.

Ah right fair enough. Leon Britton is out for 3 months on mine, after getting injured in pre-season, so i had no option but to start him as i play 3 centre midfielders and he has scored a few screamers fair play.

Yer i have already moved Orlandi on, i just knew he weren't going to make the cut as a central player or a wide man, so i took £1m for him.

Don't think Orlandi has played 10 games for me all told. Had a awful start in the league, getting smashed 6-1 away at Liverpool; but put in some good performances after that, and it's looking like it could be a good season. Got ditched out of the League Cup in the 4th round, on penalties. Went 0-0 for 120mins, tried experimenting and upped the stakes in the passing and possession. Ended up passing Bristol City to death, but didn't threaten their goal very much. Far too many of my players missed their penalties that should have won the tie after saves from the Portugese keeper, but didn't seize the chance.

Given Daniel Alfei a couple of games in the league cup at left back, and one in the league - he's done brilliant, averaging 7.90. He finished the aformentioned Bristol City game with 110 passes or so, and looks very comfortable on the ball, and adept at defending despite his stats. He's been given his first Wales cap too.

A horrid start away at Liverpool dented my confidence somewhat, especially the ability to pick up points on the road - something I've struggled to crack. Then I went on a very, very nice run following that humbling defeat; which was rudely interrupted away at Aston Villa. Then again on our travels we fell apart, partly due to playing 70mins with 10men, but still very annoying that we shipped that amount of goals.

A relatively easy start to the season, certainly compared to last year, so I have made hay whilst the sun has shone; but with Man City, Chelsea, Man U, Spurs and Liverpool coming up in the next ten fixtures I think this is where the foundations of my season will certainly be laid.

My new signings have fitted in seamlessly, with Magnar Odegaard becoming surprising rock solid at the back in some games. Glyfi has been my stand out performer, he's truly in beast mode this season! Scott Sinclair has been another candidate, scoring a few goals when played in ST. My midfield have grown in confidence, and the best performers can be seen in the Premier League passing charts shown below.

League Table

EvertonvSwanseaInformation_LeagueTable.png

Results and upcoming fixtures

SwanseaCityFixtures_Fixtures-2.png

Pass-tastic

BarclaysPremierLeagueStats_PlayerStats.png

Hello everyone. Been a long time since I have posted on these forums but I am back :). I have been following the progress of the real life swansea this season and I am enjoying what I see and they have inspired me to have a go at managing them on here.

Just loaded up and decided on the avoid relegation expectation. I notice though that, although giving a nice transfer budget to start off with, the wage budget is exactly what they are spending at the moment. Any tips on sorting that out? I am going to try and sell off some players to reduce the wage bill, but from past experience selling players hasn't gone to well for me haha.

I am looking to do a 4-2-3-1 formation. Going to try and build t up from scratch. I'll update you all with my progress as I go.

Hi everyone, I have decided to start a save with Swansea. The reason i've done this is because i want a real challenge in the Premiership, and Swansea look pretty inviting. I will give you monthly progress reports! good luck!

July 2011

Fixtures

(Assistant took over all friendlies)

FR - Swansea City (Sinclair, Routledge) 2-1 (Orlandi) Swansea City Reserves

FR - ADO Den Haag (Radosavljevic, Leeuwin) 2-1 (Sinclair) Swansea City

FR - Port Talbot Town 0-5 (Dyer, Moore, Hurmaci, Lucas, Dobbie) Swansea City

FR - Ostersunds FK 0-3 (Hurmaci, Walters, Lita) Swansea City

FR - Neath 0-2 (Dyer, Tate) Swansea City

FR - Millwall 0-2 (Dobbie, Beattie) Swansea City

Transfer News

Ins - Ozer Hurmaci - Fenerbache - Ln Fee £375K

Gianni Zuiverloon - Mallorca - Ln Fee £325K

Filip Djuricic - sc Heerenveen - Loan

Outs- Joe Allen - QPR - £1.6M

Mark Gower - Southampton - £725K

Federico Bessone - Burnley - Ln Fee £350K

So the start to the new season has gone pretty well, got some players in on loan, and some dead wood out, but im targeting a centre-back.

Thanks, CaylumM

Good start so far... But I'm surprised you got rid of Allen. He's a good player.

And I wish I could go as quick as you, I have just spent a couple of hours, sacking and hiring staff, sorting tactics, and scouting and bidding for players. Finally ready to move on.

Joe Allen just isn't really my type of player. I already had pre-arranged tactics, i kept the current staff and also i never take long on buying new players, I always feel scouting players is a bit of a waste of time, just go out there look at players and pick the ones that fit your team.

August 2011 so far... to be continued

Fixtures

PR - Swansea City (Larsson og, Bjordal) 2-0 Sunderland

PR - West Bromwich Albion (Tchoyi, Mulumbu) 2-1 (Bjordal) Swansea City

Transfer News

Ins- Johan Laedre Bjordal - Viking - £900K

Outs- Daniel Alfei - Chesterfield - Loan

Good start to the season against Sunderland, then went to West Brom where we played utter dog crap! even though hitting the crossbar twice wasnt helpful neither was the teams performance, and i told them after the match!

Thanks, CaylumM

I may post up tactical instructions later this evening for people to have a look at once I have ironed out a few creases - it seems I am creating too many chances, which is leaving me exposed at the back I feel. Watch this space.. Finding this Swansea experiment much more exiting than similar pursuits with Barcelona.

Hey, any chance of posting your tactical instructions up? Or uploading the tactic to look at?

Cheers.

finished my 1st season at 12th could have been a lot better if i was more clinical, got an initial budget of 15mil for the 2012/13 season looking for a striker, centre mid & a winger any ideas?

For striker, Darwin Quintero done good for me with Bolton, and for centre midfield try andile jali (sp) not sure about wingers, have a look who's on the transfer list mate.

@CaylumMCan't believe you sold Joe Allen, turns into a decent player in future, and has been great for me so far. Could have sold worse players than him!

With all of yous saying this I am starting to regret selling him... but anyway, i've done it now.

just a quick one, I had great success with Sinclair in my previous game playing him on the left as an inside forward. He was so that he won player of the years. This is how I used him

ilXkk.jpg

Great one Rubentus! I will use this in my team, but when Sinclair comes back from injury. Out for 2-3 weeks.

August 2011 continued...

Fixtures

LC - Crystal Palace 0-1 (Hurmaci) Swansea City

PR - Swansea City (Graham, Dyer) 2-2 (Dzeko, Aguero pen.) Manchester City

Transfer News

Ins- Zakaria Labyad - PSV - Loan

Outs- None

We had a brilliant first half against Crystal Palace, could have been 3-0 up at half time, but then in the second half, Crystal Palace were the team on top but fortunatley they couldnt capatilize on the oppurtunity, now got Ipswich Town in next round, so should win! But the Man City game was brilliant, 2-0 down at half time and im thinking, 'how much are they going to score?' then Graham scores straight from the kick off and then Dyer scores a tap in to make it 2-2! Then we held the game out to get a point!

Forgot to mention to you guys, Sinclair has been out for the start of the season and will be back in hopefully 2 weeks.

Thanks, CaylumM

Just coming up to the first league game of the season, so a little update for you.

Transfers In:- Transfers Out-

Salva Ruiz - Free Alan Tate - 1.7m

Ivan Bandalovski - 24k Mark Gower - 725k

Gylfi Sigurosson - 9m over 48 months

Ryo Miyaichi - Loan

Lucas Andersen - 700k over 48 months

Leandro Gioda - 50k

Friendlies:-

Swansea 2(Sinclair,Graham) - 0 Swansea Reserves

Celtic 4-0 Swansea - They totally owned us, improved in the second half after some tactic tweaks but no luck.

Ado Den Haag 1-2 (Britton, Orlandi) Swansea - went 1-0 down, but after the goal was all over them and got back in it.

Wycombe 0-3 (Dyer, Moore x2) Swansea - Starting to look better now, albeit against weaker teams.

Port Talbot 0-8 (Graham x2, Situ x2, Sinclair, Sigurosson, Miyaichi, Routledge) Total domination as expected

Swansea (Moore, Orlandi) 2-2 Wolfsburg

Neath 0-3 (Sigurosson x2, Situ) Swansea

I think the tactic needs a little more work but that will come over time, but so far I'm looking forward to the season. First test versus Blackburn next.

Last update: 2011/12 Start of Season.

Since I last updated, as you can see I have had a torrid time - managing only a single win in the league, at home to Wigan. A good start to the season set me off in good stead, but this run of misery has seen my fall from a 6th, to 12th. I highlighted this to be a period of the season where my abilities would be tested, and it doesn't seem that any abilities have been tested at all. My last result against Blackburn sums up this period I've gone through; 2-0 up until the 70th minute, then managed to throw away the game. I've persisted with the possession based football, which has seen me effectivly keep the ball throughout pretty much every game home or away, but a chronic failure to score enough goals and create enough quality chances sees the continual evolution continue.

Scott Sinclair has been a stand out performer this season, my joint top goalscorer, along with Glyfi, with 9 in 15. Most of these have come from him playing down the middle, but since an injury to Djuric he has featured back out on the left side.

SwanseaCityFixtures_Fixtures-5.png?t=1327248427

BarclaysPremierLeagueOverview_Stages-1.png?t=1327248484

Remaining Fixtures

SwanseaCityFixtures_Fixtures-6-1.png?t=1327248541

It seems that I have played through the bulk of the big guns, so the run in I will be looking for a lot more positive results which should see me propelled back up the table. As soon as I've got past Man United at home that is. A nice cup run may give my squad the boost it needs, and allow me to keep match fitness up for some of the more squad players.

January Transfer Business

Well, I've struck one deal so far for the first team, and brought in a promising center back who will go into the U18's for the time being. Mushaga Bakenga has been brought in on a free, his contract was he expiring so I offered him a 6 month deal until the end of the season which allows me to reserve the right to offer him a longer deal if he impresses. I'm looking for a right winger, preferably one that has good overall technical ability and can cut inside from the right. Ben Arfa is discontented with life in the Championship at Newcastle, and I'm very much tempted to bring him in. He would be available for around £3-4m, but the only reservations I'm having are on his temperament and mental application - something I struggled to master when he played for me in my seasons at Newcastle. Again, Newcastle could be my market for another player - Yohan Cabeye. His deal would very much be down to me moving on a couple of players, in his positions. He's a player I really like in real life, and he was fantastic in the first couple of years in my Newcastle save. Looked to have renewed the Romario loan deal for another 12 months, with it only subject to a work permit being granted. Interest is again circling around my key men - Vorm, N.Taylor, Allen, Glyfi and now Scott Sinclair. The only possible sale out of those guys could be Michel Vorm. He's pissed that his captaincy was given to Glyfi at the start of the season, and still hasn't cheered up. His replacement could come in the shape of Tim Krul - from Newcastle.. surprise, surprise; but all dependant on how much net profit/loss I would take on the deal.

MushagaBakengaOverview_Profile.png?t=1327249974

At 16, this guy is rated with 4 and half stars, and looks destined to be a top center back. Has already been put on a intense regime of weights, steak and protein shakes to boost his strength up. The youth training he's undertaking his heavily based around strength and defensive development.

good luck powello, hope you do well!

Cheers mate :)

@tommonufc, thats some bad luck mate, I'm sure things will turn around. Loking at your fixtures there's plenty winable. I tried to get Bakenga, but the stupid board wouldn't let me offer enough wages even though we had nough spare,

Cheers mate :)

@tommonufc, thats some bad luck mate, I'm sure things will turn around. Loking at your fixtures there's plenty winable. I tried to get Bakenga, but the stupid board wouldn't let me offer enough wages even though we had nough spare,

Well I'm not too sure what to expect from him. Hopefully he can score a few goals and make an impact, something that Vossen and Graham have really struggled to do. Vossen seems to be a bit of a shocking signing, hasn't scored this season!

January Transfer News - 20.01.13

• Borja in on a 12 month loan deal from Athletico Madrid in an attempt to find some goals.
  • Keko's loan cut short and returns to Catania after making five appearances, and averaging 6.43 Good riddance.
  • Hatem Ben Arfa joins from Newcastle for £4m over 36mnths.
  • I've successfully unsettled Yohan Cabeye, and he's interested in a move, and wants out of Newcastle. Hopefully I should be able to work out an installment deal, after I've moved on Orlandi and possibly Vossen.

Agggggh!! Swansea City 0 - 4 Manchester United.

Glyfi misses a penalty that would have put us 1-0. He then goes on to have about 5 long range efforts fail to go in, and another 5 or so free kicks that are within scoring range for him. He truly had a stinker. Ended the game with 61% possession whilst creating a decent amount of chances. Davide Santon is having a shocking debut season, Jelle Vossen can't find scoring form. Growing fed up very quickly.

I was trying to bring Bakenga in to play on the last man.. The idea was for Gylfi to knock some through balls through to him to run on to... But the board ruined my plans lol. Grahams not quick enough for what I want but then Lita and Moore are terrible I have found. I havent had any experience with Vossen,. Maybe your tactic needs some tweaking to get him flying?

I was trying to bring Bakenga in to play on the last man.. The idea was for Gylfi to knock some through balls through to him to run on to... But the board ruined my plans lol. Grahams not quick enough for what I want but then Lita and Moore are terrible I have found. I havent had any experience with Vossen,. Maybe your tactic needs some tweaking to get him flying?

Lita and Moore never even played a game for me, just knew they would be useless. I've found Graham to play better than his end performance stat would say, he draws a lot of fouls from defenders, much like Kevin Davies would do (when he was decent for Bolton), although doesn't really score many. Vossen seemed to settle in and went on a good scoring run end of last season, before he got injured. That injury, torn calf I think, tore into his physical stats with being out for 4 months. Since then I've worked hard to play him and he's brought his pace back up; but lacks the pace, much like Graham.

As you say my tactical approach needs some tweaking. I've looked over the games, to see where he has played well, and hasn't. I've noticed from the passing analyses that I fail to penetrate within the opposition area; with the 18 yard line posing a invicible force field. To counter this I've tried to give my two wide men, and Glyfi behind him a lot more creativite and general attacking incentive. My thinking behind this is that Vossen has inredible stats to be deadily in and around the 6 yard box and within the area, like a Ruud Van Nistlerooy - so to get him firing I've got to get some delivery into him. Hatem Ben Arfa [HTA] should offer good creativity coming in from the right. Confident of improving performances, 1-0 up at Fulham at half time as I've wrote this.

Edit; Managed to see out the Fulham game 1-0. All players had very good games. Hard fought victory away from home. Should be a good boost that we can take into the next stage of the season.

Attacking wise thats good thinking, that should help out Vossen, be careful not to leave the midfield short and the defence exposed though. It's quite difficult to get the balance right.

Well done on the Fulham victory :)

I still haven't started the Blackburn game yet, busy doing other things, but will hopefully get on it soon. See how my tactics work against a decent side.

Attacking wise thats good thinking, that should help out Vossen, be careful not to leave the midfield short and the defence exposed though. It's quite difficult to get the balance right.

Well done on the Fulham victory :)

I still haven't started the Blackburn game yet, busy doing other things, but will hopefully get on it soon. See how my tactics work against a decent side.

Well something that has become almost a philosophy of mine when it comes to building tactics in FM is to have 2 midfielders that just sit and pass the ball, the 'quarter-back' role almost. These aren't usually the most defensive minded players, but they just keep the play ticking over. This seems to, and has the potential to work well with this Swansea side, so I don't think I will become anymore caught out in midfield than I would be previously. I use tight zonal marking for all forwad plays and midfielders to try and promote them keeping track of their opposition number and track back. C

Just fielded a strong side against MK Dons in 4th round of F.A Cup, trying to get some good performances out of some players to build from. 2-1 at HT, Bakenga scores his first, playing him as a RW cutting in, and Vossen with a nice finish within the box. MKD scored a penalty in 45+2 with there no indicated injury time!

Edit; MK Dons 4-1 FT. Made Glyfi my playmaker in this game as one of my attempts to get some more creation within my side, instead of the usual central midfielder. Seemed to work, Glyfi came off on the 80th minute with a 9.0. Vossen looked like a very good player, eventually completing a hat trick from the spot. Only MK Dons, but I'm very happy with the performance. Into the 5th round too, onward and upwards!

Edit 2.0; Yohan Cabeye becomes the fourth player I've plucked from Newcastle. This signing could be the straw that broke the camels back in regards to my financial position within the next few years. The fee was slightly higher than I wanted, £5.2m over 48month. But this has allowed me to bring in a real quality player, he was in the Euro 2012 XI for France last year! Quicker I get into Champions League the better. Got central midfield coming out of my arse now, as I seem to do in every FM save. Managed to shift Orlandi of to Wolfsburg for £600k.

Four back-to-back wins now! Just out passed Liverpool to a comfortable 2-0 in the 5th round of F.A Cup. Scott Sinclair double, he was truly owning Martin Kelly. Reverted to my playmaker back into the midfield to try and control posession from the back, Joe Allen passes: 80/86 (94.4%), Leon Britton: 51/54 (90.5%), Glyfi: 65/57 (87.7%). Ended with 64% posession, and made 5ccc. Pretty bloody pleased!

Well done on capturing Cabeye, good player.

Just played the first game against Blackburn. Finished 1-1. Not a bad result but xonsidering we were all over them for most of the match I was pretty dissapointed. Their goal was a scrappy, deflected shot. The equaliser was a cracker from Williams from the edge of the area.

Definatly a lot of work to do. I need to figure out now how to get Graham more into the game. I am going to try to up the AMR/L/M creativity as you did and see if that helps, then go from there

Well done on capturing Cabeye, good player.

Just played the first game against Blackburn. Finished 1-1. Not a bad result but xonsidering we were all over them for most of the match I was pretty dissapointed. Their goal was a scrappy, deflected shot. The equaliser was a cracker from Williams from the edge of the area.

Definatly a lot of work to do. I need to figure out now how to get Graham more into the game. I am going to try to up the AMR/L/M creativity as you did and see if that helps, then go from there

What type of tactic are you making, one that encourages possession or just a general system that will get you to win games?

For Graham, I'd suggest you try and get him to link up play and then move into the box. Maybe a lower mentality and lower creative freedom, hold up ball. No dribbling, move into channels. Then I'd suggest the guy who's playing behind him in AMC has lots of run from deep, to capitalize on the space created by Graham dropping deep.

Just organised a mid week friendly against St. Mirren to get some match fitness for a load of my players, drew 2-2; but not that bothered. Lowered my whole teams mentality to defensive to try and just keep the ball; ended with 79% possession!

What type of tactic are you making, one that encourages possession or just a general system that will get you to win games?

For Graham, I'd suggest you try and get him to link up play and then move into the box. Maybe a lower mentality and lower creative freedom, hold up ball. No dribbling, move into channels. Then I'd suggest the guy who's playing behind him in AMC has lots of run from deep, to capitalize on the space created by Graham dropping deep.

Just organised a mid week friendly against St. Mirren to get some match fitness for a load of my players, drew 2-2; but not that bothered. Lowered my whole teams mentality to defensive to try and just keep the ball; ended with 79% possession!

Yeah, it's a 4-2-3-1 possession tactic. Wel thats what I am trying to get to anyway lol. Posession so far has been about 60% on average, which isn't too bad. I wold like to balance posession with actual decent chances though. Sometimes they just pass it around the edge of the area, then turn and go backwards even though they have options ahead. They have a high attacking mentality, through balls etc, god knows why they keep going backwards.

I'll have a try with what you suggest and let you know, ta :)

Ah good stuff, never think to have midweek matches, for fitness.

Yeah, it's a 4-2-3-1 possession tactic. Wel thats what I am trying to get to anyway lol. Posession so far has been about 60% on average, which isn't too bad. I wold like to balance posession with actual decent chances though. Sometimes they just pass it around the edge of the area, then turn and go backwards even though they have options ahead. They have a high attacking mentality, through balls etc, god knows why they keep going backwards.

I'll have a try with what you suggest and let you know, ta :)

Ah good stuff, never think to have midweek matches, for fitness.

Are you using the 'new' Tactic Creator or the original 'Classic'? I use the classic as I have a greater control of what I want my team to do at the drag of a slider.

Well your players passing it around the box isn't a bad thing, it shows you that they have the ability to keep the ball and string passages of play together. Making that into chance creation will be the more difficult thing as I'm sure your aware of. What I have come to do is have my four front players (ST, L/RW & AM) all having high mentalities, a creativity. With them having higher mentality they will be more adventurous when they get to the final stumbling block, which will be a team parked on their 18 yard box. For me I like to have my AM, in control of the through balls only. I do this mainly because he, Glyfi, will be more often than not be in the best position on the pitch to play a through ball, and he has the best ability. This is also done to conserve possession, I don't want Ashley Williams trying an audacious through ball when it will just run out for a throw, nor even Leon Britton or Joe Allen - I'd much rather they play to feet, linking up with Glyfi, making triangles through teams 2 man midfields. I will have one of my CMs with a ultra defensive mentality, meaning when he gets the ball he will more often than not just play a square ball or backwards - someone like Leon Britton - his creativity will be minimal. His cm partner will have a slightly higher mentality, a low normal, therefore his passing will be conservative, but he has the license to play a more dangerous pass when it is clearly available. Same for my back four, they will have a very low mentality as I want them to keep the ball. Then on team instructions, I have the team mentality to normal/attacking; I'm not sure if this is just a placebo or not, but it seems to have some affect in my ability to create chances. When I'm winning and looking to close a game out, I will move this down to defensive so that the team play the ball and not really look to penetrate the back line.

I am using the original classic. I prefer being able to tweak everything to how I want it.

I just played my second league game, away versus Sunderland. I dropped Grahams mentality a little lower than the AMs. I also increased Sinclairs crossing to often and increased the width a smidgen along with changing the focus passing to down the flanks. Ended up winning 3-1, after a few in gae tweaks of things I noticed we could exploit. So am happy with that result. And also Graham did quite well for a change, long may that continue :)

I think we are quite similar tactically, but at the moment until it stops working, I have most of my players on quite high attacking mentality, even the cbs and keeper. I am paying close attention to every game, trying to spot problems quickly and pausing to figure out how to counter it. It's still early days and as they say Rome wasn't built in a day, so will take each game as they come.

I am using the original classic. I prefer being able to tweak everything to how I want it.

I just played my second league game, away versus Sunderland. I dropped Grahams mentality a little lower than the AMs. I also increased Sinclairs crossing to often and increased the width a smidgen along with changing the focus passing to down the flanks. Ended up winning 3-1, after a few in gae tweaks of things I noticed we could exploit. So am happy with that result. And also Graham did quite well for a change, long may that continue :)

I think we are quite similar tactically, but at the moment until it stops working, I have most of my players on quite high attacking mentality, even the cbs and keeper. I am paying close attention to every game, trying to spot problems quickly and pausing to figure out how to counter it. It's still early days and as they say Rome wasn't built in a day, so will take each game as they come.

Sounds good, this is the first save I've used original since the TC was brought out a few FMs ago. Got to say, I've missed out. Still yet to nail down a solid base I can build off consistently away from home. Example, just gone 7 wins on the bounce and I then lose 3-0 away to Southampton.

Archived