SRL88's FM12 Journeyman Career

SRL88

darlington.jpg

SRL88's Career - February 2014 - Darlington FC

Blue Square Premier

february2014leagueresul.png

february2014bsp.png

A very good month in February with the only annoyance coming away to struggling Boreham Wood, but overall I am really pleased with how we have been playing in the league and its nice to have the club stable for once.

FA Trophy

february2014fatrophy.png

Another good draw for us in the 3rd Round and despite the scoreline looking tight, we were comfortable throughout and the goal that Barrow scored was just a constolation. The 4th Round see's us drawn at home to York.

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

darlington.jpg

SRL88's Career - March 2014 - Darlington FC

Blue Square Premier

march2014leagueresults.png

march2014bsp.png

Despite starting the month pretty solid, we ended poor and it was something that worried me going into the final month of the season with play-off berths still up for grabs.

FA Trophy

march2014fatrophy.png

A nice win over rivals York set up a Semi-Final tie against Woking, and we had the game wrapped up with an amazing win in the first leg. Despite losing 2-0 in the 2nd leg we marched into the Final and a trip to Wembley to look forward to.

darlington.jpg

SRL88's Career - The Play-Offs - Darlington FC

playoffdraw.png

So the play-offs drew us against Hereford whom we had drawn and beaten under my management in the league this season. How would we do with more on the line?

Shocking, absolutely shocking. I couldnt actually believe what I was watching in the first leg and we were dumped out and deservidly so. My hopes of promotion went up in flames.

newportcovdarlingtoninf.png

So our destructive end to the season got worse with a poor showing at Wembley to Champions Newport County, and we lost in the Final of the FA Trophy. I was really proud of the lads in their efforts to reach the Final.

darlington.jpg

SRL88's Career - Season Review - 2013/14 - Darlington FC

Blue Square Premier - Results 1 - Results 2 - Results 3 (4th - Lost in Play-Off Semi-Final)

Overall, I have to say that I was pretty pleased with our league performance despite our poor showing in the play-offs. The pile-up of fixtures was tough on the squad and we had to battle hard and it was tight during the run in, but we managed to stay strong to clinch a play-off spot.

The Play-Offs were poor and we deservidly went out to Hereford, who went on to win the Final and gain promotion.

FA Cup (Lost in 1st Round)

A poor showing in the FA Cup and we went out on penalties to Lincoln.

FA Trophy (Runners-Up)

Despite a poor showing in the Final, we were fantastic throughout the tournament and deserved our day out at Wembley. Really proud of the lads to go within one win of lifting the trophy, but it just wasnt to be.

Transfers - Finances

All players brought in were on loan due to the club having no money for transfers or wages.

Our day out at Wembley helped the finances out, but they are still in horrible condition for a club at this level.

Squad

A pretty decent squad which didnt reflect when I took over in October. The loan players helped and were needed, but I am happy with a lot of players in the squad.

My Top 3 Players

Jeff Henderson - I didnt quite expect the centre back to be quite so effective, but what a player for this level. His goals as well as defensive displays were vital in my bid for promotion.

Thomas Dossevi - My top scorer, and despite his adcanced years still a vital member to my squad. An excellent target man throughout the season.

Jordan Thewlis - Brought in on loan from Scunthorpe and his goals were key. Proved a hit with the fans and formed an effective partnership with Dossevi. If only I could actually sign him.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Season | Team | League | Country | League Position | Notes |
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| 2011/12 | Kirklareli Spor | Second Division Group A | Turkey | 5th | Play-Off Quater Finalists |
| 2012/13 | Kirklareli Spor | Second Division Group A | Turkey | 3rd | Play-Off Semi Finalists |
| 2013/14 | Darlington | Blue Square Premier | England | 4th | Play-Off Semi Finalists, FA Trophy Runners-Up, |
Appointed in October |[/Code]

[size=3][b]Next Season?[/b][/size]

Hmmmmmmm, I honestly just dont know. I could quite easily stick it out another year with Darlington, but the finances are shocking. We are well over the wage budget, I cant offer any of my key players new contracts despite the fact that they are running out so it looks like they're leaving. If thats the case then I will have to rely on loans, so I just dont know.

Any input will be appreciated!!!!

I know I have pretty much hot-shotted these updates, and I appologise for that, but I have finished my current season since my last update, so they are all up there now for you all to read :thup:.

It's so gutting when just everything goes wrong in such an important game, and there's nothing you can do about it. Still an excellent season though, don't forget it! I think you should sign a one-year deal and have another shot at promotion.

Good season but unlucky with losing in the playoff.You also had a good run in the FA Trophy,just ashame your players let you down in the final!

Thats definately the case. Was annoying considering we just folded in the last 4 games of the season, conceding 3 in each of them.

It's so gutting when just everything goes wrong in such an important game, and there's nothing you can do about it. Still an excellent season though, don't forget it! I think you should sign a one-year deal and have another shot at promotion.

I was half expecting to lose against Newport County because they were strong all season, but the play-offs annoyed me more. We won 3-1 at The Darlington Arena during the season and went to their place, battered them but only managed to come away with a 3-3 draw after they staged a late comeback.

Yep, should see what happens.

Think I will give it another season with Darlo and see if we get promoted or not. I will also keep my fingers crossed for a job offer from a club higher up :p.

Going to load up tonight when I get home from work and get back into this properly.

stevenlongstaffnewsinbo.png

A kind offer, thank you Mr Chairman. Signed!!!

A shame really as I never wanted quite a few to go, but we were way over our wage budget and just couldnt offer any of them new deals.

A profit for Darlington Football Club??? Must be dreaming.

About time. Ive only been asking since the day I walked through the door and into the club.

darlington.jpg

SRL88's Career - Season Preview - 2014/15 - Darlington FC

Board Expectations:

Blue Square Premier:- Challenge for the Title

FA Cup:- Reach the First Round

FA Trophy:- Reach the Final

My Expectations:

Blue Square Premier:- I would be more than happy with another play-off spot, but you never know!!!

FA Cup:- I will say the same as last season, a nice cup run and a money spinning tie against one of the big boys

FA Trophy:- Would love another trip to Wembley

Budgets:

Transfer:- £0

Wage:- £10,690 (Currently spending £7,832)

Balance:- -£517,839k (+£422.191k since arrival)

Squad:

Pretty pleased considering we were left wafer thin at the end of last season. Brought in a lot of players so far and still need to sign a few more. Sadly however, players have arrived on part time contracts and I have no option to make them full time. Could have a lot of fun on my hands this season.

Key Player(s):

Jeff Henderson - Solid at the back last season, and will be vital again this season.

John McReady - Versatile midfielder played a big hand last season, and with key players leaving, he steps into a pivotal role.

Jordan Thewlis - Rejoins the club on loan from Scunthorpe. If he can provide the goals he did in the 2nd half of last season throughout this, we will be right in the mix.

I hate nearly seasons, you nearly got promoted, you nearly won the FA Trophy fortunately you did make profit and you did get a new contract! :D

Must have done something right without noticing :p ha.

darlington.jpg

SRL88's Career - Pre-Season - 2014/15 - Darlington FC

Friendlies

darlingtonfixturesfixtu.png

A pretty good pre-season for us with impressive wins over Hibs & Huddersfield gives us something to build on going into the start of the season.

Transfers

darlingtontransfershist.png

A lot of transfer activity both in and out of the club. A lot of players who I didnt want to leave did due to not being able to offer them a contract, but I feel that they have been replaced well. Feeling quietly confident going into the opening day.

darlington.jpg

SRL88's Career - August 2014 - Darlington FC

Blue Square Premier

bluesquarebetpremierove.png

A pretty solid to the opening month of the season with big wins against neighbours Gateshead and against Lincoln. Our away form was slightly frustrating as we dominated every game but couldnt really turn our dominance into goals. We left it late to score in both our away victories so that is something I will need to address because it will become increasingly frustrating watching us struggle away from home all season. Jordan Thewlis has been in fantastic form during the opening month and it already looks evident that we may rely on his goals during the season (I have played a game in October when I took the screenshot).

He injected a fair bit for me when I was there as well. I think he's secretly loaded.

No evident on real life :lol:.

The playoffs can be cruel, a great 46 game season ruined in 90 mins. Still, was a good season overall what with making the cup final aswell.

Looks like a busy summer, good luck for the new season :thup:

Cheers mate :).

darlington.jpg

SRL88's Career - September 2014 - Darlington FC

Blue Square Premier

A bit of a mixed month. We couldnt really string a couple of results together which was slightly annoying, but we are still well in contention for the league. The new players are fitting in quite well so the signs are positive.

Good start, should make the playoffs again this year hopefully push for the title :thup:
Good start, Promotion on the cards this year !

Cheers lads. Keeping my fingers crossed!!!!

darlington.jpg

SRL88's Career - October 2014 - Darlington FC

Blue Square Premier

We are sitting nicely in the league so Im not to worried yet. Just 4pts off Fleetwood. The month gave slightly mixed feelings. Two good wins to start the month off followed up with a poor defeat away to Forest Green and we followed it up with a seemingly dissappointing draw against Crewe, but it really felt like a win with Jeff Henderson wrongfully sent off.

We have lost Jordan Thewlis for a month which is annoying as he is our biggest threat upfront, but I have the utmost confidence in the strikers we have to get us through November and still be in title contention.

FA Cup

We entered the FA Cup at the 4th Qualifying Round with a home draw against York.

Just like last season, it took a reply for us to get past the first hurdle. It didnt come without controversy though as in the first tie we once again had a man sent off for being the last man, despite their being 3 other players in covering positions (much like Henderson's sending off against Crewe). We took a draw though and travelled down the A1 to York for a reply and came away with a good win to set up a 1st Round draw away to Wallsall who find themselves struggling in League 2.

I'd imagine you'll get better as the season goes on with the team gelling so you're well placed where you are.

Yeah definately mate. All I need is a month where I string 3 or 4 wins in a row together and we will be laughing.

So long as you're up there you have a great chance.

With the league being so tight at this stage we're sat nicely.

stevenlongstaffnewsinbor.png

91684980.png

Thursday October 30th 2014

Debate is sure at a high in the Blue Square Premier at Darlington FC, with 20 year old goalkeeper Jonathan Henly recentley stating that he is desperate for first team football and may have to look elsewhere to find it. Darlington manager Steven Longstaff has show a lot of faith in current number one Dave O'Loughlin who was the number one at the club upon his arrival just over a year ago. O'Loughlin's performances have been matured for someone who broke into the side at 17 years of age and sure has a bright future in the game and recentley found himself being called up to the England U19's.

Many people however, feel that Henley should be Longstaff's number 1 at the club, but following a recent mistake in an FA Cup tie at home to York which cost Darlington the win, assistant manager Martin Gray voiced his concerns following the mistake. No matter what Longstaff's decision is, the debate as to who Darlington's number one should be will go on.

Are they pretty well matched in terms of ability then? Nice change with the newspaper style BTW :)

Cheers mate. Appreciate it :). First time I have seen a poll or anything news come through like that so I thought I would try something different.

I have linked the player names if you want to look at them yourself, but my general belief is that I trust O'Loughlin more. Although his ratio is a goal a game conceded, he tends to make vital saves when they're needed and if we were 1-0 up going into the final 10mins, he gives me that solid aspect. Ive only played Henly in 3 games and he has conceded 3. The goal against York was a joke and it cost us the game. That seemed to effect his confidence as I have just played him against Hayes & Yeading and although we won 4-2, the two goals conceded were from him flapping at the ball from a corner & then a shot late on.

darlington.jpg

SRL88's Career - November 2014 - Darlington FC

Blue Square Premier

bluesquarebetpremierovet.png

A pretty good month overall which saw us climb up into the play-off spots. Our only defeat came in a fiesty affair away to Northampton. Otherwise I am happy with how we played and I have high hopes going into the Christmas period, especially with all our injured players due back.

FA Cup

After our victory over York we were drawn against Walsall.

Our FA Cup journey ended in the 2nd Round with defeat to Aldershot. To get there we had to overcome Walsall and following draw which really should have been more in the first tie before winning the reply to set up a tie against Aldershot. We were never really in the game against the Shots though, and deserved to exit the competition.

Looking very close in the league. If you can string a run of results together, you could be top in no time :thup:

Its all extremely tight so far. Looks like Fleetwood are pulling away now, but the rest of the league is sooooo tight.

Developing nicely here, keep up the good work.

Cheers dude!!!

At work now, need to go to College and do some work afterwards so I will load up tonight and hopefully get to the end of the season. The Mrs will be watching Coronation Street so I can escape for a few hours :p.

Going along nicely so far, looking good for at least a playoffs push, reckon you can challenge Fleetwood for top spot?

At the moment I would say thats a step to far. We can be a little inconsistant at times and its costing us in terms of keeping up with Fleetwood. I think its more likely going to be another tense May in the play-offs again. That said, we have had a lot of our players out injured, so once they return, and if we put a run together we might just sneak it.

The most annoying thing is when we win Fleetwood win, when they drop points, we do as well, so we never actually catch them up :mad:.

Definitely looking like atleast a playoff spot is going to be had come the end of the season :)
Good start to the season!

Based off the last 3 games I feel like kicking a few of the players arses :mad:.

Archived