SRL88

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

darlington.jpg

SRL88's Career - Pre-Season - 2016/17 - Darlington FC

Friendlies

darlingtonfixturesfixtu.png

A good pre-season is now under our belts with just the one blip against Southport. We had some very good confidence building results and head ino the season opener with every faith that we might just survive this season.

Transfers

darlingtontransfershist.png

Another season with a lot of transfer activity. U feel much better now with our squad. Following the players who arrived on pre-contracts, we strengthed further by adding the experience of 33yo Neil Mellor who will prove to be a very good player at this level.

Ive called up a few youngsters from the reserves, and although I would prefer to sign a few players, our budget is tight I will be given opportunities to the kids.

A nice pre-season there, ashame the loss came in the final game as it puts confidence down a little. :(

Yeah. I would have like to have won just because I hate losing :lol:. Im at work now and I think Im going to load my save up for a bit :p.

Struggling so far to get the best out of Elliot Benyon and Bjorn Recktenwald. Any ideas as to what roles I could use them as? Screenshots in post #341 if you need them :thup:.

Benyon has been playing as a poacher and has 2 goals in 4 games (all competitions) but I have been switching Recktenwald a bit because I have Mellor as well who is a TM Support w/ supply to head. So it all depends on who I play :lol:.

Suppose it doesnt matter for 4 weeks because Recktenwald has just been injured.

Cheers for the suggestion.

darlington.jpg

SRL88's Career - August 2016 - Darlington FC

League One

npowerleague1overviewst.png

Another season underway and I really couldnt have asked for a better start to life in League 1. I was anticipating a tough start with our first 3 fixures which probably would have affected our confidence badly but that wasnt the case. We battled for a hard earned draw on the opening day and things have gone from there. We put in an excellent performance at home to Hull to battle our way to a 1-0 win before travelling to The Valley and coming away with an astonishing victory against Charlton. We took the long coach journey back up north with smiles all over our faces and an extra sweet touch was added by Charlton Manager Les Parry.

Our next two games were at home and I was very confident going into them following our impressive start. Although we were all over Orient, we had to wait for a late winner from Jeff Henderson. Against Brentford it was a tale of two halves. We were all over them during the first period. I warned the lads about complacency in the second but they didnt listen. We sat deep and let Brentford come onto us, and to be fair, they probably deserved to leave with a draw, but we dug deep and clung on to make it four wins from five in August.

I wont be getting over excited about this as its still early days. I still also need to take into consideration the fact that we were in a similar position last season but had a shocking September. Our next game, Southampton away!!!

League Cup/Johnstones Paint Trophy

darlingtonfixturesfixtud.png

Had to do a review like this because these fantastic forums allowing us to only upload 4 pictures.

League Cup

A couragous effort against Hull, just days before we got revenge in the league fixture. We battled hard at the KC Stadium and were in it until the end when a late 3rd goal killed us off.

Johnstones Paint Trophy

A pretty poor performance led us to leave the Johnstones Paint Trophy in the First Round. We were shocking, absolutely shocking in the first half so I let rip (not by farting) at the interval and let the lads know exactly what I thought. We put in a better second half performance, but our hopes died because after we made our three substitutions, they decided it was a good idea to injure 2 of our players, and then out of frustration we got a man sent off to end the game with 8 men.

A nice month there, other than the cup games. Atleast you can concentrate on the league now. :)

Have Elliot Benyon and Bjorn Recktenwald started playing any better yet?

Cheers :thup:.

Bjorn is injured at the moment & is out for a few more weeks so at the moment its Benyon (Poacher) and Mellor (TM Support) which seems to be working.

Cheers :thup:.

Bjorn is injured at the moment & is out for a few more weeks so at the moment its Benyon (Poacher) and Mellor (TM Support) which seems to be working.

Ah yea, ofcourse, you did say. Sorry! :p Well if Mellor and Benyon is working, stick with it.

Nice affiliation there, they have some class players! Have a look in thier reserves and make a loan offer for a couple of the goods ones. When I do that it normally gets accepted. :thup:

A quite sensational start to the campaign seeing as you have recently been promoted. Keep up the great work buddy!
Take out the cup games and it's a very impressive start :D

Cheers lads :thup:.

Loaded up my save now and working my way through September. Update soon!!!

darlington.jpg

SRL88's Career - September 2016 - Darlington FC

League One

Looking at it, you would say pretty **** really wouldnt you!!! Part of me is annoyed whilst part of me expected it. We done similar last season by having a shocking September. I never expected anything from the Southampton game and to be fair, they battered us. I said after the game, and I stand by it now...but if we got into half time still 1-0 up it would have been a different game. When they got their first I was a little annoyed because it was a shot which was deflected in so it couldnt really be helped, but as soon as that second went in I knew what was coming. I wasnt to hard on the lads because Southampton are way to good for this league. Just look at their start!!!!

The next games were frustrating in different ways. We bossed Hereford and really should have won and if it wasnt for their goalkeeper we would have. Away to Bristol Rovers and at home to Palace we were bossed. We began to show signs of a couple of things. One was a drop in confidence and two that maybe we were promoted a bit to early and the difference in class was showing. We clung on to draw with Rovers and were 2-0 down against Palace until the last 10mins. I changed my tactics a little, went attacking and we got two goals. Lucky really. Id rather not talk about the Swindon game :mad:.

To be fair to us, if you said to me that after 10 games, following back-to-back promotions and probably to soon as well that we would be sitting where we are in the league with just 2 defeats I would have snapped your hand off. It only looks so bad because we made an excellent start so Im not worried. We're well outside the drop zone and although there is plenty of time left Im confident. All we need is a couple of good results and we're off again.

Only ten games in but that is quite a tight league so far. Play-off's more than possible though. Good luck dude.

If we get ourselves to the New Year within touching distance I believe we can make the Play-Off's.

I think you are going well, it has been a big step up in a short period of time for you.

Cheers Dejay :thup:.

darlington.jpg

SRL88's Career - October 2016 - Darlington FC

League One

We put in an excellent month during October to keep ourselves in the Play-Off spots. After a poor September we got off to a good start against Preston with a fully deserved 3-1 win at The Darlington Arena. We continued the month ubeaten which could have been better (late goal conceded against Walsall), and rounded off the month with fantastic results at home to Burton and away to Rochdale left us lying in 4th place.

Lancaster looks ridiculously good for that level! I'm surprised I haven't seen his name pop up on the scorers more often, which position and role are you using him in?

He was injured for the Burton & Rochdale games, but in the others he could have bagged a couple in each.

Im using him upfront as a poacher. The way he moves on the pitch kind of reminds me of Luis Suarez to be honest. His turning is exactly the same and he is often quite frustrating infront of goal.

Looks like Bjorn hit some form coming back from injury, thats good! And a very nice month of results, well done! :thup:

Yeah he had a nice end to October. I think TM (support) with supply to feet done the trick :p.

darlington.jpg

SRL88's Career - November 2016 - Darlington FC

League One

darlingtonfixturesfixtue.png

npowerleague1overviewstm.png

Just two games in November due to FA Cup commitments. Im not suprised by the defeat to Peterborough because they are a much bigger club and have a lot of good players. We played alright but a 2-0 defeat was about right. Games against the likes of Bury are the ones which we need to win in this league. They are the games which will dictate whether we are good enough to compete in this league. I know we're 18 games in, but these are the games which give us confidence going forward and the games which have got us to where we are in the league. We fell a goal down to them, but didnt let it affect us and quickly equilised to go in at half time level. The second half was all us and goals from captain Matthew Saunders and loanee Andy Lancaster gave us all 3 points.

FA Cup

darlingtonfixturesfixtuf.png

Two good wins in the FA Cup to help us march into Third Round to face Championship side Crawley. I expected us to beat Blue Square Premier side Chester, but the game against Swindon was especially pleasing. It shows how quick things change as we were comprehensively beaten by Swindon earlier in the season.

Doing well in the league mate, but if im honest, I don't like the idea of you going up again so soon, might be to soon! But nonetheless it would be a rgeat achievement. :p

That regen looks like a monster for league 1! :eek:

To be honest, I dont want the club to go up ha. I always feel on FM that the gap from League Two to the BSP isnt that much, League One is a little tougher but the jump to the Championship is huuuuuge. We wouldnt be able to hack it at that level and we would end up embarressed on a regular occassion.

I dont know if I will be with Darlington after this season, but I think the club needs to be in this league for another 2-3 year before it could handle the Championship.

darlington.jpg

SRL88's Career - December 2016 - Darlington FC

League One

A pretty average month really. It all started off with a frustrating defeat against Doncaster which annoyed me a little more when I checked my inbox to see that they were awarded two controversial penalties. My frustration went up a notch against Tranmere when we conceded late to only come away with a draw. They also inflicted my biggest pet hate on FM by setting out to kick lumps out of my players with 3 of them injured so we finished the game with 9 men and thats when they scored.

Two pretty poor performances and results followed before a much needed victory over Exeter to get our confidence back and also to leave us sat just inside the Play-Off spots.

Not splashing out though.

I wouldnt expect anything less from my new Chairman.

Still double of what I had with Preston in the Championship!! :cool:

:p haha.

Awesome! Don't go and break the bank now you've been given it SRL! :p

I feel rich all of a sudden :cool:.

A so-so month there mate, atleast you got a few points out of it! :) I would go as far as saying you're already safe from relegation, which is a plus. :thup:

I wouldnt like to say we are until we reach the 50 point mark to avoid complacency.

Archived