SRL88's FM12 Journeyman Career

SRL88

astonvillalogo.jpg

SRL88's Career - April 2019 - Aston Villa FC

astonvillafixturesfixtu.png

englishpremierdivisionow.png

Another mixed month which see's us sat in mid-table, and unable to get ourselves into the possible European places come the end of the season. Shocker that Blackpool got revenge on me on the first time I return to Bloomfield Road since my departure. We really should have won, but it looks like they could survive this season. We started off with a nice win against massive underachievers Spurs before the Blackpool game. Really pleased with how we conducted ourselves through that game and we took complete control. A drap draw against Sunderland followed our trip to Blackpool before a comfortable win against Huddersfield see's us sat in 10th place heading into the final four fixtures of the season.

FA Cup

How on earth we only won this tie 1-0 is beyond me. Dont get me wrong, I am delighted that we're through to the Final, but it took us until late in extra time to beat a side who we battered for the whole game, and they didnt have a shot until the 61st minute, at which point we already had 13 shots at goal. We should have had this game wrapped up by half time to be fair, but taking the positives, we performed really well, created numerous chances and deserved to go through. Our opponents will be the winners from two years ago, Leicester.

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How stupid!!!! The FA Cup Final is on a Wednesday night, with 2 games still to play in the league season....and is three days after I have played Fulham.

That is odd, I've had the entire schedule for the last game of the season moved (in League 1) to a Wednesday night, do you know why? Because Wrexham were in the Welsh FA Cup final on the last game of the season, so obviously they move an entire league schedule of games for the Welsh FA Cup final :D

It's just something you've got to laugh at but you wont be complaining when you win the FA Cup :cool:

facupbudweiser2.jpg

FA Cup Final

First Half

The first half was a pretty poor affair which failed to spark into life. Both sides failed to create any chances as it was a defensively dominated half with each side having just one shot each. That was until just past the half hour mark!!! A loose back pass from Leicester left back Lionel Carole was pounced upon by our top scorer Frank Huisman, who smashed the ball passed Leicester goalkeeper Ikililou Sanoussi Akintoye (seriously not making this **** up) to give us a 1-0 lead. This clearly stunned Leicester as just four minutes later Senah Mango rose highest in the box to power a header home to make it 2-0 to us and have the Villa end bouncing. As half time came about and I was preparing myself for my half time team talk, Kyle Bartley headered home a goal to pull one back for Leicester, three minutes into injury time when there was only two minutes to be added on...much to my frustration.

Half Time

Despite them pulling a goal back I was clearly delighted with how we performed. Despite the game not coming alive until past the half hour mark, our defence was fantastic to stop the efforts of their main man Daniel Sturridge from making anything happen. We scored two quick fire goals to stun Leicester and I sent the lads out for the second half, letting them know they already had one hand on the cup...but they needed to ensure they had two come the full time whistle.

Second Half

The second half started slowly, with us seeing what Leicester would throw at us as they searched for an equiliser. After 51 minutes a long ball from Brad Guzan went all the way through and was knocked behind for a corner. From the resulting corner, our towering centre half Johan Martial rose at the near post to flick the ball into the back of the net to make it 3-1 to us with just under 40 minutes still to play. I felt in dream street as it showed how far we had come from our previous meeting with Leicester when we were played off the park. Things got even better when after 66 minutes our main man Frank Huisman ran through on goal, rounded the goalkeeper and made it 4-1 to us and make things even better. We sat back after that and soaked up any pressure from Leicester but they didnt create much, and although they did hit the post 5 minutes from time, it was our day and we marked a historic victory by lifting the FA Cup in my first season in charge!!!

Full Time

Leicester 1-4 Aston Villa

leicestervastonvillaspl.png

An excellent achievement from us to lift the FA Cup. A result which delighted the board, the fans and also saw us qualify for Europe in the process.

That is odd, I've had the entire schedule for the last game of the season moved (in League 1) to a Wednesday night, do you know why? Because Wrexham were in the Welsh FA Cup final on the last game of the season, so obviously they move an entire league schedule of games for the Welsh FA Cup final :D

The Welsh Cup Final takes priority over everything :p.

Congratulations on the FA Cup win. Hopefully a springboard for further success.
\o/ great job!
Great final result!
Great result in the FA cup, nice work mate!

Cheers lads!!! Appreciate the comments :cool:.

Just been offered the opportunity to sign a 29yo Jordan Rhodes from recentley relegated Huddersfield for £3.5m. His wage demands are £82k p/w :eek:. If I can get those down do you think he is worth a punt?

Just been offered the opportunity to sign a 29yo Jordan Rhodes from recentley relegated Huddersfield for £3.5m. His wage demands are £82k p/w :eek:. If I can get those down do you think he is worth a punt?

If you can get it down to 40k he could be worth a go.

Like the others have said, cut that weekly wage in half...

Gratz on winning the FA Cup too. :thup:

astonvillalogo.jpg

SRL88's Career - May 2019 - Aston Villa FC

englishpremierdivisionom.png

A pretty poor end to the season on our part, but the result that annoyed me the most was the 3-2 defeat to Man City. We were 1-0 up at half time and restricted them to two shots at goal. The fact we went on to lose from that position really annoyed me and I was pretty angry afterwards. A solid win over Fulham followed before the FA Cup Final and I was especially pleased considering I made a number of changes. I think the players had a few to many shandy's before the Blackburn game following our fantastic win over Leicester, and we were just poor against Everton.

FA Cup

A great win in the FA Cup Final, but I wont go on to much about it considering I covered it in a previous post...but ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!

Probably not for how much you'd likely be able to cut off those sums.
Not unless you are going to be paying under £40k a week.
Congrats on the cup win. :thup:

I'd pass on Rhodes, if budgets are currently an issue 80k a week extra won't help at all.

Brilliant win in the cup final :thup: Also a pleasant surprise seeing Leicester knock out Chelsea!
If you can get it down to 40k he could be worth a go.
Like the others have said, cut that weekly wage in half...

Gratz on winning the FA Cup too. :thup:

Chees for the suggestions. If I can get his wage demands down I might take a gamble on him.

astonvillalogo.jpg

SRL88's Career - Season Review - 2018/19 - Aston Villa FC

Premier League - Results 1 - Results 2 (10th - 13th on arrival - Results since I took over)

A pretty good season for us considering. It doesnt look like we done much since I arrived but we made massive changes since my arrival and the fact that the players who arrived in January managed to gel so quickly is something Im pretty happy with. It was more a transition season for the club. There isnt much to say on the league campaign other than next season is the season that I should be judged as Manager of Aston Villa.

FA Cup (Winners)

A fantastic achievement in the FA Cup. I was in charge for all the games and we had a good run in the competition to take us all the way to the Final where we dispatched Leicester without to much trouble. The only real threats we had throughout the competition was away to Fulham and Stoke. Otherwise, we played really well and despite having some favourable draws, we deserved to lift the trophy come May.

League Cup (Knocked out in 2nd Round before my arrival)

The club were knocked out before my arrival by Championship side Bristol City.

Transfers - Finances

A lot of transfer activity at the club this season. The January transfers are the ones from me but it was massively needed. I trimmed the squad, got rid of a lot of the higher earners and brought in a lot of money for the club. I also replaced them with players for small fee's and smaller wages.

The finances are so much better than when I arrived. The fact that we are £22m better off than we were when I took charge gives us a lot of promise for next season.

Squad

The club has a pretty decent squad to build with next season and I am optomistic going forward. Gabby Agbonglahor and captain Nestor Ortigoza are retiring whilst Brad Guzan and a couple of others are leaving when their contracts expire so that will get rid of a few 30+ players who I can replace with younger players on smaller wages.

My Top 3 Players

Senah Mango - Was my third choice centre back until an injury forced me to play him and he was brilliant. From then on he was in the team every game pretty much and all of his goals came since I brought him into the side.

Nestor Ortigoza - Club captain and despite his age he was excellent. Played as an anchor man and he proved how vital he was to the side with his performances. Really sad that he is retiring.

Frank Huisman - Our top scorer this season and we began to rely on his goals. Really thrived upfront on his own as a poacher and will be my main outlet next season.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Season | Team | League | Country | League Position | Notes |
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| 2011/12 | Kirklareli Spor | Second Division Group A | Turkey | 5th | Play-Off Quater Finalists |
| 2012/13 | Kirklareli Spor | Second Division Group A | Turkey | 3rd | Play-Off Semi Finalists |
| 2013/14 | Darlington | Blue Square Premier | England | 4th | Play-Off Semi Finalists, FA Trophy Runners-Up, |
Appointed in October |
| 2014/15 | Darlington | Blue Square Premier | England | 2nd | Promoted via Play-Offs, FA Trophy Runners-Up |
| 2015/16 | Darlington | League Two | England | 3rd | Promoted |
| 2016/17 | Darlington | League One | England | 5th | Promoted via Play-Offs |
| 2017/18 | Blackpool | Championship | England | 3rd | Promoted via Play-Off's |
| 2018/19 | Blackpool | Premier League | England | - | Resigned in November |
| 2018/19 | Aston Villa | Premier League | England | 10th | Appointed in November, FA Cup Winners |[/Code]

[size=3][b]Next Season?[/b][/size]

Im really looking forward to the prospect of next season. I have the chance to test myself in Europe for the first time which I am really looking forward to and I want to help the club by sorting out the finances. Next season? Bring it on!!!

How are my Former Clubs Doing?

Kirklareli Spor

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Season | League | League Position | Notes |
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| 2013/14 | Second Division Group A | 11th | - |
| 2014/15 | Second Division Group A | 9th | - |
| 2015/16 | Second Division Group A | 5th | Lost in Play-Off Semi Final |
| 2016/17 | Second Division Group A | 5th | Lost in Play-Off Semi Final |
| 2017/18 | Second Division Group A | 6th | - |
| 2018/19 | Second Division Group A | 6th | - |[/Code]

Another season of missing out on the Play-Off's by 1pt.

[size=3]Darlington FC[/size]

[Code]------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| 2017/18 | Championship | 24th | Relegated |
| 2018/19 | League One | 20th | - |[/Code]

Survived back to back relegations on goal difference.

[size=3]Blackpool FC[/size]

[Code]-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| 2018/19 | Premier League | 18th | Resigned in November, Relegated, Carling Cup SF |[/Code]

Relegated on the final day of the season but had a good run in the Carling Cup.

A Look Around The World

Here I will post the winners of the major competitions in and around the World. Any others, just ask and I can update for you!!!

Club - Domestic

English Premier League

2011/12 - 1st Man Utd 2nd Chelsea 3rd Man City

2012/13 - 1st Man Utd 2nd Arsenal 3rd Liverpool

2013/14 - 1st Liverpool 2nd Chelsea 3rd Man Utd

2014/15 - 1st Man Utd 2nd Liverpool 3rd Arsenal

2015/16 - 1st Man Utd 2nd Chelsea 3rd Man City

2016/17 - 1st Man Utd 2nd Man City 3rd Liverpool

2017/18 - 1st Arsenal 2nd Liverpool 3rd Chelsea

2018/19 - 1st Arsenal 2nd Man City 3rd Liverpool

FA Cup

2011/12 - Winners Tottenham Runners-Up Everton

2012/13 - Winners West Ham Runners-Up Liverpool

2013/14 - Winners Man Utd Runners-Up Norwich

2014/15 - Winners Wolves Runners-Up Birmingham

2015/16 - Winners Arsenal Runners-Up Barnsley

2016/17 - Winners Leicester Runners-Up Chelsea

2017/18 - Winners Everton Runners-Up Arsenal

2018/19 - Winners Aston Villa Runners-Up Leicester

League Cup

2011/12 - Winners Fulham Runners-Up Reading

2012/13 - Winners Tottenham Runners-Up West Brom

2013/14 - Winners Wolves Runners-Up Chelsea

2014/15 - Winners Arsenal Runners-Up Aston Villa

2015/16 - Winners Arsenal Runners-Up Liverpool

2016/17 - Winners West Brom Runners-Up Man City

2017/18 - Winners Liverpool Runners-Up Man City

2018/19 - Winners Arsenal Runners-Up Norwich

La Liga

2011/12 - 1st Barcelona 2nd Real Madrid 3rd Athletic Club

2012/13 - 1st Real Madrid 2nd Barcelona 3rd Villarreal

2013/14 - 1st Real Madrid 2nd Athletic Club 3rd Barcelona

2014/15 - 1st Real Madrid 2nd Barcelona 3rd Valencia

2015/16 - 1st Barcelona 2nd Real Madrid 3rd At. Madrid

2016/17 - 1st At.Madrid 2nd Barcelona 3rd Real Madrid

2017/18 - 1st Real Madrid 2nd Barcelona 3rd At.Madrid

2018/19 - 1st At.Madrid 2nd Barcelona 3rd Malaga

Bundesliga

2011/12 - 1st Bayern Munich 2nd Werder Bremen 3rd Schalke

2012/13 - 1st Dortmund 2nd Bayern Munich 3rd Schalke

2013/14 - 1st Leverkusen 2nd Dortmund 3rd Bayern Munich

2014/15 - 1st Leverkusen 2nd Bayern Munich 3rd Schalke

2015/16 - 1st Bayern Munich 2nd Schalke 3rd Leverkusen

2016/17 - 1st Bayern Munich 2nd Schalke 3rd Leverkusen

2017/18 - 1st Bayern Munich 2nd Leverkusen 3rd Dortmund

2018/19 - 1st Bayern Munich 2nd Schalke 3rd Dortmund

Serie A

2011/12 - 1st AC Milan 2nd Napoli 3rd Lazio

2012/13 - 1st Inter 2nd Juventus 3rd Napoli

2013/14 - 1st AC Milan 2nd Inter 3rd Juventus

2014/15 - 1st AC Milan 2nd Inter 3rd Sampdoria

2015/16 - 1st AC Milan 2nd Parma 3rd Palermo

2016/17 - 1st Palermo 2nd AC Milan 3rd Fiorentina

2017/18 - 1st AC Milan 2nd Cagliari 3rd Juventus

2018/19 - 1st AC Milan 2nd Sampdoria 3rd Fiorentina

French Ligue 1

2011/12 - 1st Valenciennes 2nd Bordeaux 3rd Marseille

2012/13 - 1st Lyon 2nd Marseille 3rd Sochaux

2013/14 - 1st Lyon 2nd PSG 3rd RC Lens

2014/15 - 1st Lyon 2nd PSG 3rd Marseille

2015/16 - 1st PSG 2nd Lyon 3rd Marseille

2016/17 - 1st Lyon 2nd PSG 3rd Marseille

2017/18 - 1st Lyon 2nd PSG 3rd Marseille

2018/19 - 1st Marseille 2nd PSG 3rd RC Lens

Club - Europe

Champions League

2011/12 - Winners Bayern Munich Runners-Up Man Utd

2012/13 - Winners AC Milan Runners-Up Barcelona

2013/14 - Winners Arsenal Runners-Up Liverpool

2014/15 - Winners PSG Runners-Up Barcelona

2015/16 - Winners AC Milan Runners-Up At. Madrid

2016/17 - Winners Barcelona Runners-Up Real Madrid

2017/18 - Winners Liverpool Runners-Up Bayern Munich

2018/19 - Winners Bayern Munich Runners-Up Arsenal

Europa League

2011/12 - Winners Arsenal Runners-Up Rubin Kazan

2012/13 - Winners Bayern Munich Runners-Up Porto

2013/14 - Winners Chelsea Runners-Up Napoli

2014/15 - Winners Benfica Runners-Up Bayern Munich

2015/16 - Winners Man City Runners-Up Aston Villa

2016/17 - Winners Liverpool Runners-Up Roma

2017/18 - Winners Arsenal Runners-Up Lyon

2018/19 - Winners Betis Runners-Up Tottenham

International

World Cup

2014 - Winners France Runners-Up Ghana 3rd Place England Hosts Brazil

2018 - Winners France Runners-Up Belgium 3rd Place Spain Hosts Russia

European Championships

2012 - Winners Germany Runners-Up France Hosts Ukraine/Poland

2016 - Winners Spain Runners-Up Belgium Hosts France

astonvillalogo.jpg

SRL88's Career - Season Preview - 2019/20 - Aston Villa FC

Board Expectations:

Premier League:- Respectable League Position

Europa League:- Reach the 2nd Knockout Round

FA Cup:- Reach the Quater Finals

League Cup:- Reach the 4th Round

Community Shield:- Not Important

My Expectations:

Premier League:- 8th or higher

Europa League:- At least the knockout rounds

FA Cup:- Would love to retain it

League Cup:- I will be going all out for a domestic double

Community Shield:- Meh

Budgets:

Transfer:- £4.5m

Wage:- £750,516k (Currently spending £681,581k)

Balance:- -£6,450,734 (+£27,966,492 since arrival)

Squad:

Really pleased with the trimming down of the squad I have done and bringing in players on the cheap and on cheaper wages to. The wage bill is down pretty much £200k since my arrival and I have taken the club from -£34m to -£6m in the space of 6 month. I feel we have the squad to be able to compete on all fronts, but we do need a new defensive midfielder and another striker.

Key Player(s):

Mxolisi Mbambo - A player who I discovered in the squad when I took the Blackpool job. By far the best player there and following their relegation I snapped him up for £2.5m.

Jon Kempin - Following the release of Brad Guzan who was sat on £40k p/w, I brought in Kempin for £2.5m and on £8k a week as his replacement. Better than Guzan and cheaper to.

Angel Di Maria - Brought in on a season long loan from Arsenal and at 31yo, has a lot to offer following a so far disappointing stint in England. Adds class to the side.

Frank Huisman - Last seasons top scorer and will most likely be our main man against this season.

Fantastic work clearing the finances up mate. Shrewd signing in Di Maria :thup:

Cheers Dejay :thup:.

Wow good job with the finances! I'd be concerned that without player trading it'd have been a £20m loss though. What's draining the money, silly wages?

Its a mix of that, but mainly the silly spending on players. Post #711 shows the spending prior to my arrival and previous managers went a bit daft.

Well done with the finances.

Cheers mate!!!

I would like to take all credit for this :D

But goddammit I should have put a bet on it!

Haha. I will get you on board next time so I can place a cheeky 10er myself :p.

Congrats on the FA cup win and a really good job on the finances front.

Looks like some nice signings there, I think Di Maria will bring something to the side this season. Good luck, hopefully a good season is on the cards.

Cheers mate. I have a lot of optimism for this season.

Posted this in the Should I Buy or Sell in the GPTG. What do you guys think?

Buying/Selling: Selling

Player Name: Senah Mango

Your Team: Aston Villa

Buyer/Seller: PSG

Player's Value: £4.5m

Offer: £8.25m

Transfer/Wage Budget: Enough

Patch: 12.0

Season: 2019/20

AND

Buying/Selling: Selling

Player Name: Felipe Gutierrez

Your Team: Aston Villa

Buyer/Seller: Man City

Player's Value: £10m

Offer: £23.5m

Transfer/Wage Budget: Enough

Patch: 12.0

Season: 2019/20

I'd sell both to be honest. You could really do with the funds.

Ive sold Gutierrez to Real Madrid in the end for £23.5m. Excellent deal as I can now bring in a few players. Im still debating on whether or not to sell Mango because he performed really well for me last season.

It's always a love affair with sc Heerenveen involved.

Any reason behind that?

I'd sell Gutierrez (big money) and keep Mango as it seemed he was vital to your success last season. Don't sell key players unless it's "an offer you can't refuse" (Marlon Brando quote)...

I will probably keep him. Since Ive taken over at Villa Park I have made pretty much £60m to get us from £30m in the red to £30m in the black so I dont really need to sell.

Archived