SRL88's FM12 Journeyman Career

SRL88

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What a great month December was if only a couple of those draws were wins you would be flying. Were they close games or did either team deserve to win the drawn matches?

They were all pretty even, but we were probably just say the better team against Newcastle.

Another cup final awaits! Well done, and good luck against Leicester :)
Great write-up SRL, look forward to the next one, Aguayo looks a great player.

Cheers lads :thup:.

Ive got February update ready which includes the Cup Final. Will have that up at some point today.

98594413.jpg

League Cup Final

First Half

We started the game strongly and really went at Leicester, creating a few opportunities in the first 5 minutes without converting. Whilst attacking Leicester in the 19th minute they hit us on the break. A long ball over the top had Daniel Sturridge running onto it. He pulled the ball to the edge of the area for Danijel Tot to slide into the back of the net. 1-0 Leicester. The big talking point of the first half however came in the 32nd minute when Andy Carroll was shown a straight red card for a two footed challenge. The players were livid as four of the surrounded the referee. Nothing changed and it remained 1-0 at half time.

Half-Time

We were left in a really tough spot. 1-0 down to a pretty decent Leicester side and we only had 10 men. No target man, so I had to change things around a little. I made us play shorter and quicker passing to try and get our lone front man in behind.

Second Half

We started the second half much like the first, but this time made it count. We won a free-kick on the right hand side and the ball in landed perfectly on the head of Alvin Arrondel who powered home a header to even things up. We didnt sit back and kept on pushing. Despite having 10 men, we were by far the better side and had numerous chances to take the lead. As time wore on our legs began to fade. We had played at such a high tempo to get back into the game that we were weiry. Following a poor corner Leicester again hit us on the break. As they flooded forward we couldnt handle their pace and the ball found its way to Daniel Sturridge on the left hand side of the box. He dinked passed a defender and scored at the near post to make it Leicester 2, Aston Villa 1 in the 93rd minute. We had no time left to go back up the other end and score and our dreams of lifting another trophy were over.

Full Time

Leicester 2-1 Aston Villa

leicestervastonvillainf.png

A hard scoreline to take, especially with them scoring so late on. The sending off was the difference. Was it deserved? I will never know but the players were angry. Still, we done well to reach another Final, its just a shame it didnt end like the last one.

Nice size stadium now.

Will hopefully help with the finances to.

Unlucky in the final dude, late goals are hard to take especially in a match like that.

It was a sucker punch to say the least. I played them the game immediately after in the league as well.

Unlucky to lose in the final :( Not bad position to be in the league. Hopefully you'll get more income from increasing the stadium to 51K.

Fingers crossed. The finances are much better but could still do with a bit of work.

astonvillalogo.jpg

/"]SRL88's Career - February/March 2020 - Aston Villa FC

Premier League

astonvillafixturesfixtu.png

englishpremierdivisionok.png[/center]

A fantastic run of form by us which has us hot on Liverpool's heels for a Champions League spot. Just two games which we failed to win over February and March, but by no means a massive problem as we got good draws against Chelsea and Liverpool. Vaclav Kadlec had a brilliant run of form infront of goal and I hope it continues. Brilliant wins against Blackburn and away to Sunderland were followed with us getting revenge on Leicester with a solid 1-0 win. Our excellent couple of months was capped off with an amazing 7-0 win away to West Brom.

FA Cup

We continue to defend our FA Cup crown but it could easily have been over. We were down to 9 men against Nottingham Forest after 6 minutes of the home tie but we battled brilliantly to take the game to a replay. We were heading for the next round until a 91st minute goal from them took the tie to extra time. Our extra levels of fitness showed and we took advantage to win the tie 5-2. That set up a tie against Bolton who we breezed past before beating Blackburn 2-1 with 10 men as we moved into yet another Semi-Final where we will face Sunderland.

February/March 2020 - Continued

League Cup

astonvillafixturesfixtuz.png

So our run in the League Cup ended in defeat in the Final as Leicester got revenge on us for our emphatic FA Cup Final victory last season. We had to play 70 minutes of the match with 10 men and it took an injury time goal in the second half for them to win the tie.

Europa League

Our run also ended in the Europa League against PSV. We had to rely on penalties to knock holders Real Betis out but PSV were to strong for us and we went out without to much of fight.

In a good position in the league and hopefully the players can forget about the painful loss in the final.Also a good size stadium to have,maybe good news in the future.

Cheers mate. We have made great strides this season and Im really looking forward to next season with the club in a better financial position.

stevenlongstaffnewsinbo.png

A nice link with an American club for financial reasons.

stevenlongstaffnewsinboq.png

Always nice to see.

stevenlongstaffnewsinbos.png

Looks like the club is benefiting already from the stadium extension.

stevenlongstaffnewsinboe.png

Im a wanted man in Germany by the looks of things, but Im not ready to leave Villa just yet.

Going well at Villa, really good in the league and a good result at forest considering the circumstances! Keep it up mate :thup:
Unlucky losing the final in the 93rd minute but you've made some great progress in the league :thup:

Cheers lads :thup:.

Bad luck in the cup final, at least you're still going well in the league.

Andy Carroll- I hope you fined him heavily for his sending off!

Haha, I wasnt pleased but I didnt fine him. I was more angry against Forest in the FA Cup when we had 2 men sent off in the first 6 minutes.

Shame to see you go out in Europa League :(

Any chance of letting me copy your layout? :cool:

I suppose ha.

Should be a cool kid like me and just do it. :cool:

Great campaign thus far SRL88. Now push on and get that Champions League spot! :thup:

You just thieved it off me!!. Hopefully we can keep pace with Liverpool, but their run in is more favourable.

astonvillalogo.jpg

/"]SRL88's Career - April 2020 - Aston Villa FC

Premier League

astonvillafixturesfixtug.png

englishpremierdivisionou.png[/center]

After a brilliant couple of months in February & March we started off poorly in April with back to back defeats against Wolves & Spurs. We got back on track with a professional display against Fulham and rounded off the month with a solid win over Newcastle to leave us with a great chance of making the Champions League. Its going to be very tight and our run-in compared to Liverpool's are pretty similar, but we have that vital game in hand against Swansea.

FA Cup

Brilliant. For the second season in a row we have reached the FA Cup Final, and our second Final of the season. In what was a pretty tense Semi-Final we managed to beat Sunderland 3-2 to move into the Final where we will meet Chelsea.

I was going to post an FA Cup Final update, but the scoreline didnt really result in anything worth a long post about, so I will just post a screenshot for you.

FA Cup Final

chelseavastonvillainfor.png

An absolutely unbelievable performance. Cup Finals are usually tense affairs but you can throw the rule book out the window on this occassion. The scoreline was a little flattering, but our clinicalness infront of goal was second to none. Rather than post **** loads of information, I will just let you look in amazement :).

Wow....just wow :eek:

Was a fantastic result.

What the ****?

Summed up my reaction watching. Was so weird for a Cup Final.

I guess it was an average result at best, Rob Wilson must have played a blinder, great result :)

Perfect 10.0 :p.

Stunning result! Now to try and take 4th place and cap off a great season.

I will have the update for May up tonight, but we're on the brink of 4th I will say that :p.

Cracking result in the Final. Made it look easy. Now if you can just do that in the remaining games of the season.......

Just realised this is the 888th post, maybe i should make a bet at a prominant bookies?!

Put £100 on Liverpool to do the Cup double for me :p.

Holy crap that is epic. Fantastic work :thup:

Cheers mate.

Did they play a goalie :o good win thought keep up the good work :D

Well.....they did, but like the other players they didnt exactly perform.

Put a screen up of Rob Wilson please

I will include one in my end of season report because he will be in my top 3 players :D.

What?! 8-0 against Chelsea in FA Cup final :D Superb result SRL88.

Cheers fella :thup:. Was an unreal result like.

astonvillalogo.jpg

/"]SRL88's Career - May 2020 - Aston Villa FC

Premier League

englishpremierdivisionob.png[/center]

Job done!!! Obviously disappointed with the draw against Birmingham on the final day but it didnt matter because we will be playing Champions League football next season. We brushed aside Nottingham Forest & Swansea without much trouble before putting in a fantastic display in against Man City to clinch a Champions League spot.

FA Cup

astonvillafixturesfixtuf.png

Not much more to say on this matter. We destroyed them!!! An excellent achievement to retain the FA Cup.

astonvillalogo.jpg

SRL88's Career - Season Review - 2019/20 - Aston Villa FC

Premier League - Results 1 - Results 2 (4th - Champions League football :D)

Brilliant season. I couldnt really have wished for more. From taking over with the club struggling in the league and in financial disaray to Champions League football in less than two seasons. Brilliant achievement from the club. We put in some brilliant displays over the course of the season, doing the double over Manchester City, a brilliant win at Stamford Bridge and against Man Utd being stand-outs. As the season wore on it looked more evident that it was going to between us and Liverpool but we held our nerve to clinch a Champions League spot. Such a good season domestically that I came third in the Manager of the Year Award.

Community Shield (Runners-Up)

Season opener and we lost. Arsenal were the better side. Not to bothered.

FA Cup (Winners)

A great achievement to retain the FA Cup. Obviously the stand-out result came in the Final as we destroyed Chelsea 8-0. It could have been much different though. In the 4th Round against Nottingham Forest we went down to 9 men within 6 minutes in the first tie but we put in a battling performance to take things to a replay where our class showed. The only other tough tie we had was against Sunderland in the Semi-Final but we battled through that before our quality result against Chelsea.

League Cup (Runners-Up)

A nice run to the Final in the League Cup which ended with us losing out to the side we beat in last seasons FA Cup Final. It was made harder with us going down to 10 men in the first half, but we battled on and it was more annoying that we lost to a stoppage time goal to lose 2-1.

Europa League (Knocked out in 2nd Knockout Round)

A decent run in the Europa League for us. We topped our group pretty easily before knocking out holders Real Betis. A disappointing performance over the two legs against PSV and we deservidly went out.

Transfers - Finances

A lot of transfer activity both in and out of the club but it made a huge difference. There were some ok players at best in the squad I inherited so they had to move on. The players I brought in were excellent for us. Really pleased with their performances as they were probably the main difference between success and failure this season.

Finances wise, wow!!! Such a remarkable turn around compared to when I took over. I wouldnt have been suprised if we went into administration because of how bad they were but how its changed. The club is now solid financially.

Squad

A really good squad we have going here. There will be changes, but the base is there. The wage budget has gone down and we have a lot of good players on smaller wages. Really pleased with the players we have.

My Top 3 Players

Rob Wilson - The clubs new record goalscorer for one season. Obviously not a mass amount of goals in the league but a brilliant signing from the man brought in for £2m from Liverpool.

Anes Arnautovic - Signed as a back-up player due to his age but following an injury to Jon Kempin, I threw this guy in and what a goalkeeper. For his age he is excellent and isnt even at full potential yet. One of my best signings without a doubt.

Andy O'Connell - The clubs big money signing in the summer and he proved his value. Really good winger who put in consistant and excellent performances.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Season | Team | League | Country | League Position | Notes |
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| 2011/12 | Kirklareli Spor | Second Division Group A | Turkey | 5th | Play-Off Quater Finalists |
| 2012/13 | Kirklareli Spor | Second Division Group A | Turkey | 3rd | Play-Off Semi Finalists |
| 2013/14 | Darlington | Blue Square Premier | England | 4th | Play-Off Semi Finalists, FA Trophy Runners-Up, |
Appointed in October |
| 2014/15 | Darlington | Blue Square Premier | England | 2nd | Promoted via Play-Offs, FA Trophy Runners-Up |
| 2015/16 | Darlington | League Two | England | 3rd | Promoted |
| 2016/17 | Darlington | League One | England | 5th | Promoted via Play-Offs |
| 2017/18 | Blackpool | Championship | England | 3rd | Promoted via Play-Off's |
| 2018/19 | Blackpool | Premier League | England | - | Resigned in November |
| 2018/19 | Aston Villa | Premier League | England | 10th | Appointed in November, FA Cup Winners |
| 2019/20 | Aston Villa | Premier League | England | 4th | FA Cup Winners, League Cup Runners-Up, |
Champions League Qualification |[/Code]

[size=3][b]Next Season?[/b][/size]

Brilliant work this season and really looking forward to the challenge of Champions League football. We have already agreed to sign Yaya Sanogo for £4.1m and a couple of 15yo regens so things are already in motion.

Archived