Glassy 4-4-2

Evening all,

Right, this is my first crack at uploading a tactic, so bare with me. This is for 2012 and latest patch update.

It is a flat basic 4-4-2 tactic. I have only currently used this for Tottenham, so I'm fully expecting some comments about not testing it for lower league sides. Fair enough, but most of my games are with Spurs. In the first season I finished 2nd by a few points and won the League cup. The 2nd season I won the prem, got knocked out of the CL by Bayern in the quarters and won the FA cup. I'm in my 3rd season and coasting through. These are my signings:

Tevez - Took me about 5 times to sign this guy because of his wage demands. It's the only signing I made the first window.

Derdiyok - Signed him in Jan. Good enough for the target man role.

Cavani - 2nd season. Unbelievable player.

Pretty much it. I re-trained van der Vaart to play RM. He is unreal from there.

About the tactic - Like I said it's a flat 4-4-2. Attacking mentality. The striker on the left handside is more of a poacher. I started with Defoe there, who did well the had Tevez there after. The striker on the right is more of a target/complete forward. I had Adebayor playing there the hole first season, who did very well. I then alternated between him and Derdiyok, now I have Cavani there who is the nuts. In the left centre of midfield you have the creative player. He gets forward, creates a lot of chances and occasionally gets on the score sheet. I have Modric playing there who is superb. On the right handside of the centre mid, you need a defensive centre mid. Hard working, good tackler, an all around defensive midfielder. Parker did well for me before Sandro took the position, who is immense.

Left forward - Fast, hard working, good composure and good finisher. Doesn't matter if he is small, he's more of a poacher.

Right forward - Big, strong, good in the air. Jumping, heading etc. Also helps if they're a good finisher as they get a decent amount of chances.

Left centre mid - Creative, good at passing and going forward. Modric, Mata, Inesta, Xavi, Gerrard, Fabregas etc etc.

Right centre mid - Strong, hard working, good tackling fit defensive mid. Parker, Sandro, Fletcher, M'Bia etc.

That's really it. Give it a go and see how you get on. I have no idea how to do screen shots so couldnt do them. Good luck and I hope you have some success with it.

I have made a couple of slight changes. First one is turning Counter Attacking back on. Thanks to Milsinho for this. I also set a play-maker on the left hand side of centre midfield, and set a target man for the right hand side of up front. Here is the link:

Glassy 4-4-2 v2 - http://www.mediafire.com/?w9s1laup8crdr25[/color]

Glassy, how you getting on with your lower team save?

I played a few games with my spurs team last night and so far so good. beat arsenal at home which is always nice. only defeat was away to Lyon in CL but had a man down, managed to equalise but then they got last min winner.

Sorry lads, havent been about to play over xmas. I'll start a game with Norwich tomorrow and let you know how I get on. It's just a flat 4-4-2. Bale and van der Vaart got loads of assists, so decent wingers seem to make the tactic.

I'm currently playing as Norwich and I'm 13th after 22 games. Not the best. Holt is absolutely awful in FM12 which is a shame, so struggling to score. Often winning or losing by 1 goal. I've also found it very difficult to sign anyone half decent as no one is interested in even talking to Norwich. It'll be interesting to see how I finish for Norwich, but I think with some decent wingers and strikers it would still get Norwich top 8.

I finished 14th in the end. Not very good, but the forwards really struggled to score. Holt finished top scorer on 9 goals. Pretty rubbish.

I'm not sure if this is due to patch or Norwich are just crap. Be interesting to see how the tactic does with Spurs on the new patch.

i like youre tactic its so simple that i wonder why my own ones dosent work , i would say that finishing 14 with norwich without signings is good . I cannot make up my mind who i should be but i will defintly try the tactic on a new game .

but you are not playing attacking always and away from home do you ?

A really, really good start to the season. 10 games, 8 wins, 1 draw and a loss in the league. Those wins include Manu, Liverpool and Arsenal. I lost 1-0 to Chelsea but completely dominated the game. Some lovely performances. In those 10 league games we've scored 25 goals and conceded 5.

Changes - Thanks Milsinho. Turned counter attacking back on. Also set the right handside forward to target man, and the left centre mid to playmaker.

No OI's at all. I sacked Bond and brought in Ventura. A Brazilian assistant.

Sold:

Kranky

Pav

Livermore

Corluka

Gomes

In:

Douglas Costa

Liedson

Saviola (12 goals already)

Sommer

The tactic is performing as well as any I've tested so I really recommend people giving it a go. This is also on the latest update. I'll update you at the end of the season.

Decent season. Won the FA Cup and the Europa Cup (Beating Real Madrid 2-1 in the final). Finished 2nd in the prem, but on joint points to Manu (92 points). Their goal difference was much higher, they scored 107 goals which is crazy. My squad also got destroyed with a lot of injuries. Something I've never had before, so not sure if this is a new patch thing. So all in all, a very good season.

• 2 weeks later...

just a tip you might wana try. I noticed the complete forward/target man wasnt doing very well both scoring or ratings so i set the supply to feet and hey presto he is scoring and gettin excellent ratings. i have rooney and cavani for this position :)

• 2 weeks later...

update on my juve game 3 seasons in...3 serie A titles, 1 champions league title (runner up in season before) 3 super coppa's. 1 runner up in coppa italia.

Setting match prep to attacking movement - very low works wonders! (my assistant has it set on this for all games even tough away games and it really works) oh and let your assistant automatically apply OI's. I haven't noticed this detract from the quality of the tactic and must help nullify the oppositions best players, so why not.

• 1 month later...
Dude, this tactic is simply brilliant. Wise play, balanced lines, perfect timed pressing, nice set pieces, no great players needed! The best 442 tactic i ever played in fm12, good work, mate.

what have you won mate? what team are you?

what have you won mate? what team are you?

Won LITERALLY everything in 2nd season, including domestic cup, European Super Cup and World Club Championship with Shakhtar Donetsk (Ukraine) w/o buying any players at all, making 54 straight wins and 74 games w/o defeat, finished 2nd season w/ 30-0-0 in league table. Can upload some ss if needed.

Decided to start a new Liverpool save (seen as Newcastle beat us today, and I think I could do a better job) and thought a nice, simple 4-4-2 would be good. Can't beat a 4-4-2!

Here's my side in August of the first season:

liverpooltacticsoverview.th.png

Fernando (from Porto) and Suarez are being re-trained in their respective positions on the screenshot. Think i've got a decent side!

Any PPM's to recommend?

For the first time ever in FM12, I won the league in my first two seasons! The only players I managed to add after the first season was Otamendi and Arturo Vidal, so the team is very good (I was struggling before I discovered this tactic with a similar bunch of players though, so I think this tactic is brilliant).

Taught Doumbia the PPM's 'Plays One-Twos' and 'Likes To Beat Offside Trap' amongst others so he can link up with Cavani and run onto it using his pace.

I like how the teams passing style is set around 'Mixed' as it doesn't restrict your player pool to suit the passing style. I've used tactics with passing set to 'Short' and struggled to find the players with the right quality to make it work, so it's refreshing.

And you can't beat a bloody good 4-4-2 :)

Good work, i'm very pleased with it!

Love the idea of this tactic as I hate the tactics with a single or three strikers where the central one scores 50+ goals every season.

Early days as yet - 2 at home, 2 away but so far there is a notable difference.

Won both home games by a single goal but loads of possession and chances and really nice play.

Away I have had a draw and a defeat. But was clearly outplayed in both games.

A few questions:

1) Is this a plug-and-play tactic? i.e. is it just the same home and away without any adjustments, shouts or change of strategy?

2) What about match prep and pitch size?

Perhaps I just need to keep with it to see better away performances. I'm enjoying it though. Just happy to have a realistic tactic.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

a couple of suggestions am using version 2 on current patch with birmingham started well won the first two matches 5 - 1 and 4 - 0 but then struggled and lost 4 on the trot 2 - 3 or 1 -2,

so have changed the full backs from automatic to defend as they ended up too high up the pitch and left too big off a gap where i kept getting exposed.

And i also changed the mcr from support to defend as well.

Since i did those changes am on a 5 games unbeaton with 4 clean sheets

hope this helps if people are scoring but also letting too many goals in.

a couple of suggestions am using version 2 on current patch with birmingham started well won the first two matches 5 - 1 and 4 - 0 but then struggled and lost 4 on the trot 2 - 3 or 1 -2,

so have changed the full backs from automatic to defend as they ended up too high up the pitch and left too big off a gap where i kept getting exposed.

And i also changed the mcr from support to defend as well.

Since i did those changes am on a 5 games unbeaton with 4 clean sheets

hope this helps if people are scoring but also letting too many goals in.

with wich patch

• 1 month later...

Archived