FMH 2012 for iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch out now!

If you guys want screenshots, look here: http://itunes.apple.com/nz/app/football-manager-handheld/id439656770?mt=8

Also, doesn't seem like there are any radical changes. The UI is still a bit convoluted, I wonder if the match engine bugs are still there (e.g. defenders running forward when defending, both teams "stuck" in the middle of the field while a player runs with the ball, etc). Bottom line: the game was fun for a few seasons but after a while it becomes quite frustrating and… boring! I doubt "challenges" will change any of that… Seems like making that the big addition simply proves you're not that committed to the mobile space OR, just like FML proved, you're not yet ready to write a new game from scratch and mobile can't take the desktop engine at all–it's not scalable down…

Not bashing on anyone but just a heads up: it's not REALLY FM! It's FMH, and it's very limited in many ways, even if it's fun for the first few commutes… :)

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • SI Staff
Also, doesn't seem like there are any radical changes.

Evolution not revolution is generally my way for designing games I'm afraid - always has been, probably always will.

The UI is still a bit convoluted

Its designed so that you can easily use the touch interface without having to click too precisely, this is imperative for those of us with large sausage fingers ... and in general I find that an extra click is preferable to swearing when I click on the wrong thing.

I wonder if the match engine bugs are still there (e.g. defenders running forward when defending, both teams "stuck" in the middle of the field while a player runs with the ball, etc).

The game isn't 100% perfect but as is usual with our products all areas have been tweaked and tuned, I just don't particularly 'shout' about that side of things personally in announcements.

Seems like making that the big addition simply proves you're not that committed to the mobile space OR, just like FML proved, you're not yet ready to write a new game from scratch and mobile can't take the desktop engine at all–it's not scalable down…

FMH was written from scratch for mobile (PSP) originally and has continued to evolve.

As I've indicated previously at present there isn't a mobile device capable of utilizing the full FM PC match engine (or other aspects of it) ... nor do I think the FM PC match would be suitable without its highlight system being refined so it was 'snappier' (ie. people don't have the 5-8 minutes it takes to play a single FM PC match available all the time when using a mobile device.

• SI Staff
Is there not a full change list?

Theres a full changelist in game (Credits - Versions area as per normal) - I've been asked not to post it publicly quite yet so there are some surprises waiting when people play the game ...

Cloud sharing is something which is being looked at - the reason it didn't make it into release is (1) I've only one head and two arms (ie. lack of time), but also (2) I'm rather nervous about the amount of data it'd be transmitting - the FMHi save games are NOT tiny, they're 3mb in size so if you used Cloud sharing a lot for saving games then it could easily eat into someones allowed data package (use it 10 times a week and thats 120Mb of data you've sent in a month), I don't know the prevalent speeds or package sizes for people generally so rather than risk it either locking up your app for ages (ie. low speed connections) or costing people a fortune (if they have low data packages) I left it out for now.

If we find these aren't concerns then its something we'll look into in the future, but I tend to err on the side of "better safe than sorry" with such things - so didn't want to rush into it just to get another feature on a list and potentially mess up someones phone bill.

That's a real pity, that was the feature I was looking forward to the most. We've always been able to transfer save games using iTunes, so this isn't anything new. Cloud support should be an option - many people have both an iPad and iPhone, most people have data allowances way bigger than those quoted, and most syncing with the cloud is surely done when you're on wifi anyway.

Disappointed that you still have to mess about with this manual process, or you have to choose to play your game on only one device. I'll probably not bother upgrading now, this one feature alone would have made it worth it.

Hello Marc!

Does FMHi 2012 support retina display graphics on the iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S or are we still running on the low resolution?

Just another question... from the screenshots it seems like there are no custom tactics (drag and drop players in the tactics field). Are we still conditioned by the default tactics list and no freedom to move players around? :(

Thanks in advance for possible replies!

Hey Marc,

First of all, thank you for your reply! I appreciate you taking the time to explain how you view the game and its development.

Evolution not revolution is generally my way for designing games I'm afraid - always has been, probably always will.

I agree with this approach 100%. Maybe it's the fact that were now used to evolution happening in .X releases and expecting a X.0 release with a new version. FIFA, PES, etc, have accustomed us to revolutions every year. In all honesty, so has FM in the last few years… :)

Its designed so that you can easily use the touch interface without having to click too precisely, this is imperative for those of us with large sausage fingers ... and in general I find that an extra click is preferable to swearing when I click on the wrong thing.

I agree with that. That's why I think you guys can get creative with the interface… I think the game UI doesn't fit a touch interface. Not saying that anyone else is doing a better job but that shouldn't stop you from innovating, in the spirit of the Apple platform. Maybe it's a matter of budget to this game. If that's the case, I think it's in SI's best interest to invest A LOT in this new platform. While I'm a big "personal computer" guy, I can't dismiss this new "tablet" world being the future of computing, particularly in matters of entertainment. I guarantee you'll be selling less and less FM copies every year, no matter how much anti-piracy (not the issue here) you implement into it… Not to any competitors, not to piracy but to other, completely different games that exist in the "handheld" sphere.

The game isn't 100% perfect but as is usual with our products all areas have been tweaked and tuned, I just don't particularly 'shout' about that side of things personally in announcements.

Sure enough… I'll look forward to having those fixed. I would love a direct line where I could send feedback knowing it will be taken care of. I love sending feedback but the bigger the developer, the least motivated I am to do it because it usually gets lost… SI is on the fence between "close & personal" and "big & enterprisey"… :)

FMH was written from scratch for mobile (PSP) originally and has continued to evolve.

EXACTLY! The PSP is a VERY different platform. The iOS version shows this exactly in many ways. Like I said above, it's in SI's best interest to invest in iOS and Android (for now), knowing that these devices hold the future of personal entertainment/gaming… This is a bit hard for me to say, personally, because I love PC gaming and consoles. This is just a very honest analysis from someone who's in the tech world, is a developer, knows the platforms and is actively developing products for them.

As I've indicated previously at present there isn't a mobile device capable of utilizing the full FM PC match engine (or other aspects of it) ... nor do I think the FM PC match would be suitable without its highlight system being refined so it was 'snappier' (ie. people don't have the 5-8 minutes it takes to play a single FM PC match available all the time when using a mobile device.

I didn't expect an FM2012 (or even 09) match engine… But the good ol' CM 03/04 had a MUCH better match engine which seems to be where the visual stuff was adapted from but the logic stuff is missing (both on and off the field…). Again, the handheld versions need to be a remained (revolution) not an adapted (evolution)… :)

Again, thank you for your feedback! I love FM and I love SI! I don't play the desktop versions much anymore because of lack of time which is why I get a little more "demanding" withe mobile versions as those I can afford to spend some more time playing… I understand the limitations and I'd love to help in any way I can!

All the best,

--Levi F

• SI Staff
While I'm a big "personal computer" guy, I can't dismiss this new "tablet" world being the future of computing, particularly in matters of entertainment. I guarantee you'll be selling less and less FM copies every year, no matter how much anti-piracy (not the issue here) you implement into it… Not to any competitors, not to piracy but to other, completely different games that exist in the "handheld" sphere.

I expect the tablet market to grow a lot in the coming years which is why we've done our best to anticipate and move with it; on that front I agree I think the UI can and will improve and evolve over time - but its not something which will be rushed and we want to do things right.

One of the advantages of FMH is that we're allowed more free rein with regards to experimentation and suchlike than the PC crew might get away with, this allows such things as the 'unlockables', 'challenge mode' etc. to be tried out and see how people receive them ... similarly we'll keep evolving and improving the UI as time goes on.

Sure enough… I'll look forward to having those fixed. I would love a direct line where I could send feedback knowing it will be taken care of. I love sending feedback but the bigger the developer, the least motivated I am to do it because it usually gets lost… SI is on the fence between "close & personal" and "big & enterprisey"… :)

Feel free to email me about anything (marc.vaughan@sigames.com) - however do please bear in mind that I'm generally fairly busy and can't always reply or fix everything instantly ... well at least not until my clones mature that is ;)

I didn't expect an FM2012 (or even 09) match engine… But the good ol' CM 03/04 had a MUCH better match engine which seems to be where the visual stuff was adapted from but the logic stuff is missing (both on and off the field…). Again, the handheld versions need to be a remained (revolution) not an adapted (evolution)… :)

When the time is ready I'm sure that devices will converge and handheld devices be more capable of running deeper simulations - at present however while they have sped up quite a bit please bear in mind one of the strengths of FMH is that its playable on 'any' iOS device from 1st generation onward and there is absolutely no chance of handling such a simulation, heck I did some back of napkin calculations a while back about the current FM match on an iPad2 and I believe it'd take several minutes from you clicking 'go to match' to actually getting into the match itself ... which means we've a while yet until such an engine is likely to be viable I'm afraid (and thats ignoring memory constraints etc.).

Again, thank you for your feedback! I love FM and I love SI! I don't play the desktop versions much anymore because of lack of time which is why I get a little more "demanding" withe mobile versions as those I can afford to spend some more time playing… I understand the limitations and I'd love to help in any way I can!

Thats quite all right - I'm more than happy to receive constructive criticism on my games - it helps keep me on my toes and focused on what needs improving, just do please realize that the handheld team is still rather compact (me and Rich coding, Chris doing art) in nature ... so much as we'd love to we can't do everything at once.

Marc can I ask, has the scouting set up changed at all? I love the FMH games I just wish I could scout cetrain positions as well as different parts of the world, e.g. from the drop down box you could click for the scout to search south america and below it you could have a drop down box with player positions....does that make sense or am I rambling?

• SI Staff
Random question, but which boss does sunderland have on the new game?

As it will depend on if i take charge of them as my first challenge of ifmh 12 :p

Bruce was sacked way after the data was finalised, unfortunately. In future we might try and get clubs to co-ordinate sackings with our deadlines, but I'm not sure they'll be receptive! :p

• SI Staff
I have a quick question. Are there any players on this release whose best/preferred positions are "inside forward" or "wide midfielder"? i feel these positions are sometimes wasted on the game when no players fit the bill.

I'll check - there should be, if not then I'll tweak accordingly for an update.

a guy recently posted whether it is possible that it might be released before midnight? :p is this possible or not? thanks :)

Yeah that was me, i was just being hopeful really. It's not long until midnight here now, not that i'll be playing tonight, i have work in the morning! :)

"Dear Sunderland,

We at SI Games would like you to sack your manager before the 31st November if he is going to be sacked, this is so we can do the latest database for FMH.

Thanks,

SI"

:p.

Lol!.. I wish he was sacked sooner =/..would of made us abit more creditable on the game :p

• SI Staff
paulster you looked under ipad apps?

if that fails type in sega and then under ipad apps its there

Where abouts are you located its not showing up for me in the US store yet, but is available in the UK now ... perhaps you're located at a store which hasn't released it yet? .... if not please try refreshing.

The URL for the UK store is:

Football Manager Handheld - iStore

• SI Staff
I'm in the UK :) can i not access it from the app store on my ipod? :p

You should be able to - just open that url in your iPods safari browser or search for 'Football Manager' within the store and you should be able to locate it.

• SI Staff
It wasn't showing up no matter what I typed in the app store.... But after clicking on the URL it seems to be there... Strange!!

Bear in mind that its only just gone 'live' - its possible that it becomes available for sale before their search engine is fully updated or something along those lines (pure speculation on my part, I have no idea of how the innards of the store works) .... anyway glad you've found it now :D

can somebody explain the colour changes of player attributes?

here is a screenshot of Gareth Bale as an example:

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/5636/imagevzj.jpg

(WARNING: MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS IF YOU DON'T WANT TO SEE ALL OF HIS ATTRIBUTES)

I would assume its some kind of colour-blind assistance or something maybe? It's just hard getting used to after spending so long looking at the exact same data in different colours.

Hopefully I'll forget all about it after an all night session

The game looks awesome!..the social networking options is a great idea, the background seems slightly different which did catch my eyes out at first

however, it is abit slow on starting a game....is that just for the first time?.. or will it be like that all the time?

its very quick in normal play :)

• SI Staff
can somebody explain the colour changes of player attributes?

I would assume its some kind of colour-blind assistance or something maybe? It's just hard getting used to after spending so long looking at the exact same data in different colours.

Personally I find it a very effective quick visual cue as to whether a player is any good or not, tap a name and if you see a lot of green that's a good sign, a lot of red and it's a bad sign. Especially useful when managing at slightly lower levels.

Edit: Looking at what you wrote again I'm assuming you're referring to the fact that there's a couple of extra 'steps' in terms of colours this year, we just feel this gives a bit more of a precise feel from a quick glance compared to last year.

• Administrators
how do you sync saves from ipad to iphone

1) Plug your device into your computer

2) Start iTunes

3) Select your device within iTunes, from the Devices menu section

4) View the 'Apps' tab

5) Scroll down the screen to the 'File Sharing' area

6) Highlight 'FM 2012'

.dat files are your save games, and there can be up to 5 of them. The Manual Saves are named fm_save1.dat through to fm_save4.dat with the name reflecting the save slot used (1 = top slot, 4 = bottom slot). hidden.dat is the current Automatic Save file on the device.

Use the above instructions to copy a save over to your other device.

Hope this helps.

Archived